Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2006, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Finalsing Palio/Swift/Getz for a 6ft 3 in tall guy. Help required

Hi
I am in the planning of finalising a compact car for my family. I am 6ft 3 in. I was exploring the options of Palio/Swift/Getz. Can anyone shed me more light about the comfort of the drive for a tall person like me? In Swift, I saw that I need to pull the drivers seat totally back so that the steering wheel doesnt touch my knees, and no person can sit behind me :-( I wonder if thats the same case with Palio/Getz. If experts in here help me out in this issue, I shall be able to finalise the option pretty soon.
Appreciate your kind help.
Ram P
Old 28th December 2006, 17:44   #2
BHPian

If your sitting height is not much, Palio can be okay( with long legs).
If your sitting height is more, Your head may almost be touching the roof, in all the cars you have mentioned

why not try Wagon R also?
Old 28th December 2006, 17:49   #3
BHPian

Thanks for your feedback. First and foremost, Let me check my sitting height

Wagon R, I am averse about its tall body design . Wonder why !

Anyone in here whose TALL drives any car i just mentioned.

Appreciate your help.

Ram P
Old 28th December 2006, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

The best way to find it out is actually sit in them and see how comfortable are you (and the one sitting behind you). No amount of discussion here can give you true picture.

Check with Tsk1979, Khadu. They probably would know.

Last edited by RX135 : 28th December 2006 at 17:52.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hi there
I am 6'2"
I drive an indica, which is excellent for Tall drivers.
Other car which I found extremely comfortable to drive was the Getz.
Swift was cramped, and I found the steering too close to my thighs.
Palio also ran, somehow I did not find the lumbar support very good(1.2 very old car).
Wagon R was okay, but santro was more comfortable, esp with the back support(ex slip disk patient, so very important criteria). But both these cars had steering wheel too close to for comfort.

Of everything you have mentioned, I found the getz most roomy and comfortable to drive. It feels airy and I dont feel sitting in a casket. Second to getz is the indica, though the gearshift is comfortable only to people with long arms, so check that out.

But then its all subjective, you try driving all and then decide.
Old 28th December 2006, 18:02   #6
BHPian

Among the three I liked the legroom in Getz better... more than just legroom, look at getting in and out and rear seats too (just incase you are forced to get into the rear seat higly likely with palio 1.6 )....somehow getting in and out in palio is a little bit of an effort...but once inside its fine...
Old 28th December 2006, 19:26   #7
BHPian

To add my 6'1" cents here

I found the footwell of Palio a bit cramped, and the roof a bit too close to my head for comfort (have actually banged my head on one occassion).
Swift is marginally better in the headroom section, but equally cramped in legspace.
Getz and Indica were the best of the lot, with decent headroom and legroom, though thigh support in Indica was a bit lacking.

Finally wound up with a Santro (Swift/Getz were not available then), which had decent headroom and legroom, nice, comfy seats, and great visibility, but a very painful gas pedal.
Wagon-R also had good legroom, but driving posture and thin seats make it very un-comfortable for long distance.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am 6 ft, and I am comfortable in my Palio, it has decent legroom.

Better to sit in all the 3 cars and check it out yourself.
Old 28th December 2006, 20:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

the swift is very uncomfortable for a 6 footer...thts when you have someone sitting behing you....it also depends on who sits behind you..if there is someone a little less than you say around 5'9 or 5'10 then its bad for both front and back...if you've got a 5 footer then its comfy for both...how about you try goin in for say a pre-owned suv....
Old 29th December 2006, 09:06   #10
BHPian

Vow

Thats great of inputs from you all. Thank you very much.

Let me see if I can FIT MYSELF in any of the cars. As you had mentioned, its better to sit in all the cars and make yourself comfortable for drive.

btw, pardon me if I am asking for more. Does anyone have any technical information about the sitting height and legroom dimensions in any of the cars in here? I don't know if this question was already asked, but giving it a short.

Yes, In swift, I need to pull the seat back totally for the steering not to touch the thighs, but this not only leaves ANY SPACE for rear passenger to sit, but my front vision is also impaired , added to that I have the A Pillar to take care of.

Love to hear from you guys.

Ram P

PS: WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Old 29th December 2006, 11:05   #11
BHPian

I am 6 and a little bit on the rotund side. I have tried all the cars that you have mentioned and surprisingly found the swift the most comfortable. I know this sounds totally different from what the other mentioned but this was my experience. So, you must try all the cars and decide which works well for your build and your sitting posture.

In all cars including palio, getz, indica, wagon R, my things were hitting the steering wheel even when the seat was pushed fully back. But I had a lot of legroom in indica and getz, more than what was comfortable to me in fact (I didnt need to go that back to comfortably reach the pedals).

Swift, Santro, Estilo were the most comfortable for me but swift was the most comfortable for the passenger behind me compared to estilo and santro was way too cramped in legroom for me. My vote falls entirely for Swift, no second thoughts about it.
Old 29th December 2006, 12:20   #12
BHPian

Another issue to note is that when you push the seats back, you need to reach out for gearshift which is a real pain, its comfortable for highways, but in city its really bad.... find out the car with nearest gearshift reach...
Some cars have the gearknob, a bit more away from the dash board

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks