Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 15:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
maktags,

Last thing is the mileage - Swift gives me around 11 kmpl while my siena 1.6 gives 8 kmpl - i generally drive fast and heavy on gas pedal from time to time.
But it takes a lil effort to drive Siena in the city traffic (which will be applicable to Adventure too) - also the low end response of FIAT 1.6 engine is a bit poor in my perspective.

- Karthik.
Is the mileage that low? I was planning to go for Petra 1.6 but mileage of 8 is too less.
Old 29th December 2006, 15:37   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Any other car which I can consider(4-6 lakhs bracket)?
Take a look on newly launched Chevrolet U-va Chevrolet : Aveo U-VA : Models

Last edited by unknown : 29th December 2006 at 15:39.
Old 29th December 2006, 15:47   #18
BHPian

I think you should start finalizing only after you have test driven the cars that you have shortlisted.

Remember, each and every person who buys FIAT cars knows there is a problem with spares and service. And still goes ahead and buys them.. you can call everyone nuts..but thats the truth

Adventure will make more sense if you are love driving and hit the highways often. There is no problem in city driving as such, but then you are comparing a hatchback with a station wagon.

Its hard to find faults with the swift though... Its a good car too...but then adventure is a completely different domain....

Good luck with your test drive....and keep your cheque book handy
Old 29th December 2006, 16:35   #19
BHPian

Its APPLE to ORANGE comparison!

Hello All,

First of all, its not a fair comparison between Swift and Adventure. Both cars are belongning to different segments (Swift is B segment and Adventure is a C segment car). But then, apart from price, there are no other comparison between these 2 cars. I have the following observation for both the cars

Swift :

1. Japanese and reliable
2. Looks (its perception oriented, some say good and some don't like it at all)
3. Mileage is 11kmpl + in city with A/C on
4. Comfort : OK as its bumpy due to being a hatch
5. Boot Space : Very less
6. Ride : OK
7. Handling is better than most small cars (Getz handles better)
8. Power is good for a small car
9. After Sales Service is Great for any Maruti Suzuki cars
10. Build quality is OK
11. Fairly good interiors

Adventure
1. Italian hence great looking
2. Reliability is very good (Its a very well engineered car)
3. Mileage : 9kmpl in city with 100% A/C on (Tested for 6,000kms in Mumbai city)
4. Comfort : Better than some of the D segment cars (All wheel independent suspension)
5. Boot Space : 460 litres (Skoda Octavia has 525 litres)
6. Ride : Best in class
7. Handling : You have to drive it to believe its handling. Its GREAT!
8. 100 BHP, good. Could have been better.
9. After Sales Service is Good with Tata tie up. But spares are issues (You get them, but you may have to wait a while)
10. Build quality is again one of the BEST in class
11. Only negetive thing about this car is its interiors!

Hence, you need to ideally compare a Baleno, Accent, NHC and Fiesta with Adventure in stead of Swift.
Old 29th December 2006, 18:35   #20
BHPian

Surprised

Quote:
maktags,

i own a fiat siena new shape 1.6 (petra lookalike) and a Swift vxi (Nov 2005). I bought Fiat Siena in used form, as it was available for a low price.
One more thing to note in FIAT 1.6 is the engine sound - it is pretty rough, whereas the Swift has a quite silent ride. So, if you need a silent car, then you have to rethink about Adventure, as it sports FIAT 1.6 engine. Last thing is the mileage - Swift gives me around 11 kmpl while my siena 1.6 gives 8 kmpl - i generally drive fast and heavy on gas pedal from time to time.

One more thing to note is that Swift is relatively easy to drive in city - the car feels lighter and the controls are light too (including steering). But it takes a lil effort to drive Siena in the city traffic (which will be applicable to Adventure too) - also the low end response of FIAT 1.6 engine is a bit poor in my perspective.

- Karthik.
Karthik I think I have a different opinion about 1.6 L FIAT engines.

I have a colleague that admitted he found even Fiat diesel engines to be quieter than his swift.

I own a Petra petrol 1.6 and had colleagues (that own Baleno and OHC) comment my Petra is so quiet. Apart from that I have two more incidents where I was certain my observations are right:

had another colleague talking to me with his hands resting on my car driver side door and was surprised to know the engine was running asking me to turn on the engine that has been running for a few minutes.

Of course when you turn on the AC its not very quiet.

a pollution check guy standing in front of the car (about a foot or so)

I think either you have a lemon with you or it has to do with beading on your doors. My car is about 2 years old.
Old 29th December 2006, 19:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great comparision Omar. Adventure and Petra (or Siena) always winner even compared with B Segment cars like Swift or C Segment cars like Accent or any other according to me.

Adventure and Petra except for interior looks and bad resale value have everything car owner expects.

About FE of Adventure and Petra I feel least economy I heard starts 8kmpl to 10kmpl in congested City and on highway its around 12 to 14kmpl and AC is on at least 50% of times.

Fiat cars are known for quiet silent engine and great ride quality, but few owners reported I feel its something to do with service quality and few settings like spark plug gap, fuel quality, car service intervals, driving style, the way we keep our car and live with it.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 29th December 2006, 20:44   #22
BHPian

FE is better than what is written in reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Is the mileage that low? I was planning to go for Petra 1.6 but mileage of 8 is too less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
About FE of Adventure and Petra I feel least economy I heard starts 8kmpl to 10kmpl in congested City and on highway its around 12 to 14kmpl and AC is on at least 50% of times.
Ravi.
It depends on how much you drive and the kind of traffic. I own a Petra 1.6L and I have seen 9+ in city and 13+ on highways despite being a revv happy guy. These figures are with AC on full time.

My regular commute of 1 KM each way and four times a day gets me 8+. There is at least one guy on this forum that mentioned 11+ in Bangalore city traffic. Its better you talk to a couple of owners of Advneture/ Petra to get an idea.
Old 29th December 2006, 22:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

You might want to look at another thread here abt general unavailability of Fiat spare parts. That in itself should make you chose the Swift.
Old 29th December 2006, 22:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Take my word on this. Minor hits don't affect Fiat's body. I have a Palio and i stopped getting down and checking whenever a two wheeler or auto rikshaw kisses my car in the traffic. I find only a few tyre marks. I feel secured enough to not get down and check in the traffic but the culprit gets some good mouthing.
I never saw a Fiat's body panels crushed like paper as on Marutis and Hyundais.
if a tyre hits the body of any car, there is not going to be anything more than tyre marks, but if a metal scrapes against a metal, there will be scratches & dents. gentlemen, we are not talking about scratches. even if we do, all cars are losers when it comes to our indian traffic.

Quote:
maktags,

i own a fiat siena new shape 1.6 (petra lookalike) and a Swift vxi (Nov 2005). I bought Fiat Siena in used form, as it was available for a low price.

Though Swift is a better pick among the Maruti cars, it still lacks the solidness of FIAT cars - for instance, a maruti zen once kissed my swift and there was a pretty deep scratch, whereas when I had a low speed hit while reversing in my siena without noticing an indica parked behind, there was no visible damage in the bumper.

- Karthik.
hiya karthik, good to know that you own 2 wonderful cars. if a maruti zen kissed your backside, you will not have any marks, believe me. LOL. no , the point is when your beloved sienna kicked the indica (it deserves it), only the bumper came into contact, like you have said. i have kicked umpteen number of cars, ricks etc with my bumper with my bumper still intact. bumpers are meant to be bumpers, they are like bouncers, you see, they will only hurt others & absorb all the hurt without showing. so next time make sure your swift does not let anybody kiss her & your sienna does not lust around, ok ???
Old 30th December 2006, 08:36   #25
BHPian

hi esteem_lover,
thanks for the appreciation sir. the fact was that the zen kissed my swift's bumper and i had a good amount of scratch on the bumper - it will take about 1000 Rs to repaint it. Whereas in case of Fiat, there was not even a visible mark or paint damage in the bumper - so i think that my comparison still holds good ...

sreenivass,
i always drive the car with AC on. IMO, FIAT 1.6 engine is pretty silent in low revs and when we rev higher, the noise increases multifold - in similar kind of higher revs, Swift is more silent. Despite the fact that it shows the healthy grunt of Fiat 1.6 engine - I know some of my friends who did not like any noise whatsoever in the car. For that kind of people, this healthy grunt will itself become a negative point right.

sush,
my driving is with 100% AC and I rev the engine frequently. Also I use my Siena to commute from my office to home - about 2 kms - normal bangalore city traffic, which involves good amount of gear shifts. So, if driven carefully for a longer stretch, the mileage might improve to 9+. On my trip to mysore (with 120+ kmph speeds and 100% AC), I got 12+ kmpl mileage.

Regards,
Karthik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks