Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2007, 19:11   #16
BHPian

Guys. I booked Swift VXI-ABS on 29th DEC. SBI is taking some time to make the disbursment. I got a call today from the dealer and he told me to go for VXI as ABS has got lot of issues. Looks like he wants to sell off the left over VXi's first. I told him that I want ABS come what may.

Now I dont trust this dealer anymore and want to be sure that the car which I get has got ABS. How do I check that?

Last edited by remcy007 : 5th January 2007 at 19:29.
Old 5th January 2007, 20:10   #17

Hi Remcy!
i bought a Vxi on 22Dec. from Mumbai Just a word of caution . The FOC accessories which are supplied by the dealers is absolutely third grade!!! I can post pics if you want. As a fellow BHPian all I can say is be very careful what u get as free accessories. Smooth talk your way and get cash discounts or something . Or upgrade your accessories by paying cash difference. But personally check what he is going to put inside.
Eg They tied a piece of pvc with a wire to the steering wheel and called it a leather steering cover .
If you are a fast driver definitely go for ABS and insist on it and stick to your decision.
Old 5th January 2007, 23:36   #18
BHPian

Betelguese thanks for tha advice.. I will be careful.

But I dont know how to check whether the car they deliver has ABS or not. On ZXI.. I have seen a ABS mark on the boot.. But not seen any Vxi with ABS mark on Boot. I am guessing that there should be something inside the bonet which will help me differentiate... but dont know what that is.
Old 7th January 2007, 13:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcy007 View Post
Betelguese thanks for tha advice.. I will be careful.

But I dont know how to check whether the car they deliver has ABS or not. On ZXI.. I have seen a ABS mark on the boot.. But not seen any Vxi with ABS mark on Boot. I am guessing that there should be something inside the bonet which will help me differentiate... but dont know what that is.

I own a VXI with ABS and the simplest way to find out would be to switch on the ignition and you would see the ABS sign come up for some seconds and then would go away ( permamnent ABS sign glowing means some problem) . Also VXI with ABS has the same ABS sign on the boot.

I do not see a reason why the dealer would give you VXI without ABS if you've ordered it with ABS ( i guess you know its optional in VXI ) ?
Old 7th January 2007, 19:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
I do not see a reason why the dealer would give you VXI without ABS if you've ordered it with ABS ( i guess you know its optional in VXI ) ?
sixthsense Thanks for the reply..

The only reason for this is that he was trying to promote VXi without ABS and called me 2-3 times after booking Vxi-ABS, saying there are lot of problems with ABS why dont you go for Vxi instead.
Old 7th January 2007, 22:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:

The only reason for this is that he was trying to promote VXi without ABS and called me 2-3 times after booking Vxi-ABS, saying there are lot of problems with ABS why dont you go for Vxi instead.

The VXI with ABS is not available readily with dealers, it has to be ordered as the ABS is optional and takes some time to deliver. And about the problems with ABS , i do not think so there is any problem.

Just relax and spend more time on Team-bhp.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:19   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Yeah the JK tyres squeal a lot every time i take a U-turn or a tight bend... sometimes even under moderate braking. They're aparently very cheap tyres (the 185/70/R14), but I've done 160 km/h on them and I'm still alive. Make sure they're always properly inflated (28psi for city driving, 30psi-33psi for highways).
This has started happening recently in my car.

I have Swift Vxi ABS 3 years old, 37000 kms, stock JK tyres.

For the last month or so, everytime I take a U-turn, i can hear the tyres squealing. And I am not braking during the U-Turn & it's also at low speeds - regular stop at the turn, wait for traffic & take a slow u-turn. As far as I remember this never used to happen before.

What could be the problem & what's the solution?

Last edited by carboy : 17th May 2010 at 11:20.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So they do it to everybody I guess. I'd booked Vxi w/ abs around 1.5 months back and the dealer wanted me to get a Vxi instead, telling me that ABS isn't that good a feature (yeah, just an active safety feature that could prevent an accident maybe, big deal huh! ). After around 1 month he called me up stating that the Maruti people had called the dealer to confirm if the customer still wanted to go with Vxi w/ abs and hasn't taken the delivery of another model in the mean time. It’s a different story that I finalized on Swift Ldi instead but it is true that dealers (if they have Vxi readily available) would definitely want that you go with Vxi instead as Vxi w/ abs does call for some pretty decent waiting time and doesn't even give a very high profit margin as compared to Vxi.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This has started happening recently in my car.

I have Swift Vxi ABS 3 years old, 37000 kms, stock JK tyres.

For the last month or so, everytime I take a U-turn, i can hear the tyres squealing. And I am not braking during the U-Turn & it's also at low speeds - regular stop at the turn, wait for traffic & take a slow u-turn. As far as I remember this never used to happen before.

What could be the problem & what's the solution?
It should be the tyres. Change your tyres.

I changed mine at around 34000 KMS as I was not confident driving the car with OE tires. Apart from the noise, the tyres were slipping and sliding. Changed to Michelin XM1 + and I have done more than 60,000 KMS now without any issues.

I also heard Maruti procures OE tyres in bulk @ Rs 300 - 350 a piece. So this should tell you about the quality of the tyres

Last edited by diwa : 17th May 2010 at 16:07. Reason: Correction
Old 17th May 2010, 16:27   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
It should be the tyres. Change your tyres.

I changed mine at around 34000 KMS as I was not confident driving the car with OE tires. Apart from the noise, the tyres were slipping and sliding. Changed to Michelin XM1 + and I have done more than 60,000 KMS now without any issues.
I have been happy with the tyres so far. I have driven 37000 Kms mostly on the Pune-Bombay Expressway & no problems at all till now.

What kind of problems in a tire would cause squealing during u-turns at low speed without brakes.

How much does the Michelin XM1+ cost & is it stock size or oversize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
I also heard Maruti procures OE tyres in bulk @ Rs 300 - 350 a piece. So this should tell you about the quality of the tyres
Dell probably gets Intel Chips at a far lesser rate than the common public, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
I actually feel that the stocl JK tyres have been good VFM till now.

Last edited by carboy : 17th May 2010 at 16:29.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of problems in a tire would cause squealing during u-turns at low speed without brakes.
Baldness!

Quote:
How much does the Michelin XM1+ cost & is it stock size or oversize?
I think those would most likely be 185/70 R14, not sure of the cost, would be getting a set for myself in the next 2 weeks though

Quote:
I actually feel that the stocl JK tyres have been good VFM till now.
My dad's swift has stock tyres for over 2 years now, no problem at all. I've driven the car pretty rough too with them on and some very sharp turns but that does not mean that there couldn't be a better set of tyres

Note from Mod : Old thread, queries answered, hence closing.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2010 at 14:17. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks