Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which petrol hot hatch will you choose?
Tata Tiago JTP 163 22.03%
Maruti Baleno RS 22 2.97%
Fiat Abarth Punto 262 35.41%
VW Polo GT TSI 274 37.03%
Other (Please specify in your post) 19 2.57%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 18:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your favourite hot hatch in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Hatchbacks Section. Thanks for sharing!

My top choice would be the Abarth Punto. It's a true enthusiasts machine, the likes of which are rarely seen in the market. Still good-looking, f-a-s-t with performance to match cars thrice as expensive, a mature suspension, solid brakes and a beautiful steering wheel. The Abarth is to the B2 segment what the Octavia vRS is to the D1 segment. Phenomenal machines that happily punch above their weight.

Second choice would be the Tiago JTP which is a whole lot of fun at a more accessible price point. Viddy & Samurai's review has captured the true ethos of that car.

Choosing between these two really depends on what your budget is. Both are fantastic at their respective prices.
Your favourite hot hatch in India?-1.jpg

And also a car that supports lots of aftermarket mods. Build under progress.

Last edited by sidindica : 26th December 2018 at 18:10.
sidindica is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 18:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Yet another poll where the votes for the Abarth will end up far exceeding it's cumulative sales till date.

To me, the only real competition is the Tigor JTP. Looks like a good package that's also a ton of fun to drive. However, I'm not convinced with the way TATA has treated the JTP twins so far - limited dealerships, almost no TD cars excitement etc makes me feel that JTP twins might just end up being a brand building exercise.

So if it comes to choosing a product without much manufacturer support - I'd rather pick the Abarth after fighting with the dealer for some discounts. Hence the vote.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 19:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

This was a tough decision since my vote was divided between the VW GT TSI and the Punto. Voted for the Abarth Punto in the end for the drool worthy 145 BHP engine. The VW GT is is just a whisker behind in desirability.

But will I buy an Abarth Punto? Sadly after the experience with our Palio 1.6 GTX..nope. FCA are now becoming boringly predictable in how they always manage to shoot themselves in the foot in this country. If I had to **buy** one of these cars VW would probably get my money. VW's support, for all its obvious warts and wrinkles, is IMHO still better than FCA. Now if only they sorted out that latent DSG time bomb lurking within that car.

VW GT TSI and Fiat Abarth Punto. Desirable little hotties. Yeah, this is what I see as being caught between the devil and the deep.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 21:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Abarth Punto from the list. If Fiat had a bright future in India, this car would have been no barrier for me! I personally would have picked up an Avventura Abarth. Would have got both, high ground clearance + fun to drive.

But if i have to buy one in today's date, i will not pick any of the given cars. I will go for a pre-owned car like a Civic, Accord V6 or an Octavia VRS and have fun at half the price of these new cars. If new, will look at the Freestyle diesel or the Ecosport Ecoboost.

Mr reasons-

Abarth Punto - No future in India.

Baleno Rs- Will rather buy a Figo diesel.

Tiago Jtp - Yet to be time tested.

Vw Polo Tsi- I love manuals.

Last edited by Samba : 26th December 2018 at 21:09.
Samba is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 08:52   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Wondering why the Figo Sports missed out!! Wasn't it the fastest in one of the shootouts?
Let's not take the thread off-topic, but I believe its production has stopped a long time back. Comments from BHPians also confirm that situation on this page (Ford Figo Sports Edition : Official Review).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Ford Dealers in Mumbai aren't selling or taking orders for Figo Sports Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harish619 View Post
I am currently looking to buy the Ford figo diesel sports edition. When i enquired about the availability of the stock, one dealer has a silver color which is march 2018 make as figo production has been stopped long back.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 09:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let's not take the thread off-topic, but I believe its production has stopped a long time back.
My bad. I inquired with my dealer also and it's not longer available even on order. The facelift launch is in February or March and that could include the Sports variant as well.

Now, coming to the topic on hand; I just voted for the TSi - it gives performance, smiles, and now with the 7-year Warranty - reliability also. I anyway have already voted for it with my money (my sister's actually ) earlier this year and bought it for her. She's no enthusiast but this is where the other face of the car is revealed - as a convenient and safe commuter for the maddening city traffic.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 11:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

For me the pick of these will be the Abarth as stock, it is the best of the four options. Unfortunately, it will definitely have more votes than people who have ever bought it in India, but that is due to other factors like service and virtually non-existent dealer network. My second choice would be the Polo.

However, to be honest, none of these cars are true hot-hatches, at best warm-hatches. Realistically, they need to go to a tuner before anybody can call them worth purchasing. A much simpler option is a used car like a V6 Accord or Skoda, which can then be tuned
Old 27th December 2018, 11:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Haven't driven any hot hatches till date but there's a lot of hype on the Tiago JTP and rightly so! After reading our official review, you can't help but vote for it. Ticks all the right boxes.
Old 27th December 2018, 11:17   #24
BHPian

Voted for Abarth Punto.

My 75 bhp Punto used to give the Creta's, Verna's etc run for their money in State highways with that stock suspension setup and brakes. One can only imagine what Abarth Punto can do in such roads with the added advantage of drives in smooth tarmac with that explosive power, improved breaking and sporty suspension setup.

Next favorite if Polo GT Tsi just for that lighting quick DSG.
Old 27th December 2018, 12:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Polo GT TSI and specifically for the perfect way the DSG gearbox complements the TSI.

As an owner of a GT TSI for more than 4 years and 50k kms, let me with all humility, claim flawless performance and reliability (yes, DQ200 including) and acceptable after-sales support (spectacular if seen relative to popular perception).

These two aspects have for long been mentioned as the weaknesses of the car, neither aspects being a design or engineering flaw attributable to every car.
Old 27th December 2018, 12:23   #26
BHPian

Abarth Punto!!
I like my cars manual, so the Polo is not to my likes. IMO the other two are too warm to be called hot hatches, at most Peppy Hatches. They're just how a regular hatch is supposed to be, if it weren't for the overly Fuel Efficiency driven engine tune that the manufacturers prefer in India.

That 145 BHP Motor! is an absolute hoot to drive.

I have driven the same engine in all its specs - Linea Tjet(110BHP), Linea 125S( 125BHP), Avventura/Urban Cross Abarth (140BHP) and the Punto Abarth (145 BHP) and the way the revs rise is directly proportional to the Grin on my face every single time.

Add to this a very very Mature suspension and steering setup in the real world driving. The way this car holds the line and stays planted on those long sweeping curves on the highway is so confidence inspiring. The feedback from the brakes is so progressive that you know exactly how much bite you've given and how much can be given.

I have never actually found the Gearbox to be as Vague or knotchy as the internet claims, Yes it takes getting used to, and the more you drive it, the better it gets.

I own a 2009 Punto 75BHP(The original Low GC, very similar to the Abarth) and I have been in love with it since the day she came home. It has given me 1,30,000 kms(Memories), has suffered an engine seizure, and gotten the engine rebuilt only to enjoy the ride and handling of the car. There is just something that doesn't allow me to let go of the car.
damanbir is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviRai12 View Post
Voted for Abarth Punto.

My 75 bhp Punto used to give the Creta's, Verna's etc run for their money in State highways with that stock suspension setup and brakes. One can only imagine what Abarth Punto can do in such roads with the added advantage of drives in smooth tarmac with that explosive power, improved breaking and sporty suspension setup.

Next favorite if Polo GT Tsi just for that lighting quick DSG.

Thats an over statement , 75 bhp punto is no match to verna and creta. I own a verna 1.6 and i know how much capable it is doing speed excess of 100.
Safari_Beast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:39   #28
BHPian

For me the undisputed winner is Fiat Abarth Punto for sure. Reasons already been discussed by many BHPians. Try to climb a steep hill with this car and you will feel the eagerness this has to quickly reach you to the top.

Driving in city is tough with the car, but you get so much attention from the onlookers that for sure you will feel as a super star
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 13:01   #29
BHPian

Voted for the Tiago JTP.
My voting criteria is simple - one which I would like to buy for myself, may not necessarily be the best car - but should tick most of the boxes for me. And Tiago JTP does just that along with some spare money
Old 27th December 2018, 13:12   #30
BHPian

Voted for the Abarth Punto. It's a manual, has got great steering feel, nice ride quality, an engine that rocks and has a solid build. The only fly in the ointment for me is the notchy gearbox. Pity that this car will only get love in this thread and never in the market.

My next choice would be the Tiago JTP- it looks like a blast to drive at a very accessible price point. Would hazard a guess that most of the owners of this car will be bhp-ians mostly from Bangalore or Kochi.

The Polo GT would have been my next choice if it hadn't been for the horror stories documented with the DSG. Not sure if it has been sorted out completely. The long warranty should give some peace of mind, though.

Most Viewed