Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which petrol hot hatch will you choose?
Tata Tiago JTP 163 22.03%
Maruti Baleno RS 22 2.97%
Fiat Abarth Punto 262 35.41%
VW Polo GT TSI 274 37.03%
Other (Please specify in your post) 19 2.57%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2018, 19:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Abarth Punto for me. Pure and exhilarating to drive. Manual stick, though rubbery.

Have not yet driven the JTP twins, the TSI is another favourite of mine.
Old 27th December 2018, 19:31   #47
BHPian

Re: Your favourite hot hatch in India?

I have voted for Abarth Punto. Unfortunate to see FIAT management messing it up for this incredible vehicle priced under 10L. Some people do complain about wired ergonomics but I find it comfortable enough.

My friend owns a Punto 1.2L Petrol Emotion since 2012 and service experience hasn't been that bad. I have seen worst from more aftersales friendly brands.

Excellent look, compact dimensions, 145bhp of manual shifting madness along with a reliable platform. What more one can ask within a 10L. Only if FIAT hired some management people who cared about the company. Really sad to see how they are just killing it.
Old 27th December 2018, 19:40   #48
BHPian

Polo GT TSI all the way:
  • Mod friendly nature and parts/component compatibility across VAG family cars - right from a paddle shift
  • Good handling and ride combination
  • Ease of a quick, rather lightning quick, DSG
  • Reliability - yes a concern - but with a 2 + 3 + 2 year warranty - that’s mostl as long as someone keeps the car
  • Good amount of features
  • A.S.S. - on my second GT TSI. So far has been OK, though can be improved

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 20:09. Reason: Added some formatting :)
Old 27th December 2018, 19:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

The thread title is misleading. There are only two real hot hatches out there in India

a) Polo GTI
b) Mini Cooper S

Since Cooper S is absurdly priced for a small hatchback, the only real option was the GTI which too is no longer available.
Old 27th December 2018, 20:10   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The thread title is misleading. There are only two real hot hatches out there in India

a) Polo GTI
b) Mini Cooper S

Since Cooper S is absurdly priced for a small hatchback, the only real option was the GTI which too is no longer available.
Well, the thread says "Which hot hatch will you choose?" And there is an "others" option too.

So even if given options may not be "real" hot hatch according to someone else, he/she can specify his/her pick in the others section.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th December 2018 at 20:16.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 22:51   #51
BHPian

Voted for the Abarth Punto because I have just been blown away after taking it for two test drives in the last one month. I was so obsessed, I could not resist but to book one Hip Hop Black. I am scheduled to take delivery in the first week of January 2019 and cannot wait to drive the endangered beast!
jbpanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 23:19   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
But if i have to buy one in today's date, i will not pick any of the given cars. I will go for a pre-owned car like a Civic, Accord V6 or an Octavia VRS and have fun at half the price of these new cars. If new, will look at the Freestyle diesel or the Ecosport Ecoboost..
Does it still make sense to buy Civic or Accord in 2018-19?
Old 28th December 2018, 07:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Abarth Punto.

If I am to pick a hot hatch right now, it will be Abarth, notwithstanding the doubts about FIAT's future in India. For me, when I look for a hot hatch, the driving pleasure comes first, and Abarth has all the ingredients I want from my hatch - the perfectly weighted HPS, superb handling, all 4 disc break to shed the speed fast and the gem of an engine.

My second choice will be JTP Tiago - waiting for the TD and soon one may join the family if all goes as per the plan (Brother is eyeing one). On paper, it looks like a really good effort from Tata and has the potential to be a disruptor for those who want something special to drive.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 07:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Choosing between these two really depends on what your budget is. Both are fantastic at their respective prices.
Thanks GTO for speaking my words.
My vote has been casted to JTP over Punto because of the price and interiors.
Old 28th December 2018, 08:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

The Polo GTI is the car that you can have the most fun on Indian roads. There may be other more powerful cars but this is the one that's perfect for India.

Drive it to know what a fantastic car it is.

Nothing even comes close.
Old 28th December 2018, 11:09   #56
BHPian

If only we had Ford fiesta ST in India the poll would have been so much easier.
Its funny how reliability and fun to drive are inverse to each other at least in India.

Well from the above poll, I will still pick Polo GT just for the reason its parts will be available and the company doesn't look like to shut shop soon.
Old 28th December 2018, 11:19   #57
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Although the Abarth is an absolute delight to dive, I will stick to the GT TSI though. It is fast, fun and plasters a grin on the driver's face with an added advantage of a fast and convenient DSG. The mod-potential is incredible too !
Old 28th December 2018, 12:25   #58
BHPian

Have voted for Abarth Punto.

We already have a Punto 90HP sports in the family, hence didn't go for the Abarth (yet). However, having Bangalore traffic in mind, if I had to go for one from the options today, may be it would be the GT Tsi.

Rather, if I could have it my way, then would have the Abarth for the weekends and car meets, GT TSI for the weekdays and a JTP for the days GT would be in workshop for gearbox issues after enduring Bangalore traffic and more .

Off topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by damanbir View Post
I get wherehttps://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/LOL.gif NaviRai12 is coming from.

Yes the Verna is faster in a straight line, but then its not all about straight line speed is it. The Cornering and braking of the Punto is far superior to the Verna with its precise Hydraulic setup.
And as mentioned they are a "Run for their Money", at just 60% of the Verna's power figures the Punto might not beat the Verna but will surely keep up.
The above is applicable till the last generation of Verna. Rather, till the previous gen of Verna, I would say, the punto could do more than just keeping up over straight lines as the Verna just tend to bounce around crazily on undulations our highways are capable of delivering. However, things have changed very much from present gen (verna) onwards.

AD

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 28th December 2018 at 12:27. Reason: readability
Old 28th December 2018, 12:33   #59
BHPian

My vote goes to the GT TSi. Also some bias because i own one. But this car makes a joke out of the cars double its price on the road like they dont even exist. And the build is definitely superior than any other on the list. And the gearbox + engine is a hoot. I know we all would prefer manual, but the DSG eases life in city traffic hence making it a daily car too.

Abarth would have been my top choice had it not been for the uncertainty of Fiat and the gearbox that doesnt belong in that car.

JTP - i am yet to drive them, so cant say much. But the 3 cylinder engine and build quality doesnt talk much to me. But for its price, it is easily the most VFM here. Definitely worth a buy.

Baleno RS - again 3 pot. its practical with space but somehow i couldnt relate to it and didnt feel its price to be worth what it offers.

If you could take price out of question, my favorites would be MINI Cooper S JCW and Polo GTI.
Old 28th December 2018, 13:47   #60
BHPian

Voted for the GT TSI. Having owned 2 GT TSI’s and the Abarth Punto over the last 5 years and even though the GT TSI has the lowest power/weight ratio out of all these hatches it more than makes up for it with the brilliant DSG. The GT TSI gives you the feeling of speed. There was a time when I wouldn’t consider a car with an automatic transmission as something a true enthusiast would drive however my perspective changed after I owned the first generation GT TSI. Over the two years that I owned the Abarth I found that it’s the sort of car that’s at sea when you drive in the city as it requires umpteen gear changes which is totally uncharacteristic for a vehicle with 145 bhp. Not everyone would wanna drive the Abarth like a hoon all the time and there are times when you just wanna take it easy. The Abarth makes great sense if 80- 90% of your driving centers around highways and ghats. The GT TSI on the other hand I feel is very versatile as its great in all conditions which is why the GT TSI will always be my number one pick as an affordable hot hatch.
chase_nt is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks