Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which petrol hot hatch will you choose?
Tata Tiago JTP 163 22.03%
Maruti Baleno RS 22 2.97%
Fiat Abarth Punto 262 35.41%
VW Polo GT TSI 274 37.03%
Other (Please specify in your post) 19 2.57%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2018, 14:50   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your favourite hot hatch in India?

I am voting for the GT TSI. Not withstanding the age of the car, the engine + DSG combination is spectacular. Put on paddle shifters and a remap and the car gets mental.

Other factors such as build (goes against Maruti), brand presence (goes terribly against Fiat and Tata to some extent) make it a winning package overall.

Not that it doesn't have shortcomings: the OTR price of the GT TSI has climbed to a mind-numbing ~11 lakhs, and the rear bench.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 17:07   #62
BHPian

Voted for Abarth! The purest purist car available at sub-10 lakh rupees segment. Why?

1) Almost perfect suspension that doesn't make you complain and is adequately stiff too for the highway and ghat fun!
2) Beautifully calibrated steering: The steering is so telepathic that it makes you feel everything the tyre can feel and makes Abarth a blast to drive on the curvy sections.
3) Excellent braking: Well it has all 4 discs! As they say with more power comes more responsibility!
4) Stiff chassis: The stiff chassis along with the rear anti-roll bar makes sure that the handling is fun at all times.
5) Racy exteriors very well complemented by sporty interior with plenty of abarth treatment.
6)The maniac engine (of course): 145 PS, 212 NM on a hatch that weighs just close to 1.2 tonnes pumps up the power to weight ratio to 121 bhp/ton taking it well ahead of RS, GT. Interestingly, the JTP Tiago comes 2nd in that regard at 107 bhp/ton.
7) The solid built quality: The Punto still feels like a tank and the robust crash cars look sweet.

My idea of a hot hatch is still old-school type bereft of much electronics that gives you full control when 'burning the rubber' is in your mind.

Last edited by Waspune : 28th December 2018 at 17:10.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 18:40   #63
BHPian

Voted for the Abarth Punto. It simply is an honest effort by Fiat at a proper hot-hatch. Sure there are shortcomings like that rubbery gearbox and the weird ergonomics, but it has a soul that many other cars lack. As a bonus, it's also mod-friendly and has ample braking capacity to handle the performance mods.

I haven't driven the Abarth much but from what I could gauge from my short stint behind the wheel was that it has the absolute best steering amongst hatchbacks and is overall a more mature handler as compared my Figo S which has a light go-kart feel.
Vibhanshu0923 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 19:03   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Does it still make sense to buy Civic or Accord in 2018-19?
This will be an off-topic discussion over here.
But still i will share my view as you have asked.

Yes it certainly do not make sense to buy a used Civic/Accord to everyone in today's date. Those who know how to maintain these old cars without visiting the authorized service centers and want to have fun at a cheaper price, its only for them. A person totally dependent on authorized service centers should avoid going for such old timeless beauties. It can turn out to be costly for them.

This is why i have not generalised the statement, i mentioned it as my choice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I will go for a pre-owned car like a Civic, Accord V6 or an Octavia VRS and have fun at half the price of these new cars.

Last edited by Samba : 28th December 2018 at 19:06.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 21:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

At this point 9:02 PM IST, there’s a tie between Polo GT & Abarth standing at 153 votes contributing to 35.42% in the voting. Who’s going to break this tie
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite hot hatch in India?-15fa6153586f48eaa14cd6c14917d729.jpeg  

gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 21:23   #66
BHPian

I voted for VW Polo GT TSI.

For me a hot car is not measured based on engine size, horses, radical looks, new entrant etc. Of course all the four cars are really good and capable.

Polo suits well for all situations - casual or formal.

It's the most clean looking car, well built, powerful, drives well moreover automatic transmission.
Old 28th December 2018, 21:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Tiago JTP. I believe, it provides quite a good performance at that price point. I personally like the compact dimensions of the Tiago, especially after I drove my B-I-L's Tiago for 2-3 weeks in September. While the Polo & the Abarth Punto make strong cases for themselves, I think their parent companies should now grow/mature over these old models and come up with better cars for India. As for the Baleno, my opinion is that the it is not suited as a hot hatch (feels to flimsy).
Old 28th December 2018, 21:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

Your favourite hot hatch in India?

Vow, this is the closest poll that I have seen.
Need a coalition to win the poll. Since TATA and Fiat have an engine agreement, we have to declare the Abarth as a winner.

An early Welcome to the National Elections 2019.:

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 28th December 2018 at 22:04.
Old 28th December 2018, 22:00   #69
BHPian

I'll put my money on the Polo TSI among these. Though the Abarth had left me surprised with its brutal mid range and cornering capabilities , the fiat is ergonomically flawed in many areas (seats and driving position especially) and is woefully dated.
As a package the Polo is miles ahead- Still feels premium, is a hoot to drive both in city and expressways with its very wide torque spread, and the TSI + DSG is a match made in heaven.
Old 28th December 2018, 23:36   #70
BHPian

My vote goes to the GT TSI.

Let's get one fact straight. Seeing the poll between the GT and Abarth being equal is one thing and knowing the fact that the number of BHPians who own the GT TSI out number the ones who own the Abarth is another thing. The very reason why talk is small and the Abarth Punto exited our market in the first place.

I see many people here saying that an automatic can never be as fun as a manual. To be honest that concept seems to be outdated. People still swear by this fact which was passed back in the 2000's where automatics were slow, had few gear ratios and were jerky. Today we live in the world of lightning fast shifts, 10 speed automatics, F.U.N to use paddles giving the F1 feel and almost every real sports car out there having launch control. Theres a reason companies like BMW which make pure driver's cars are dropping manuals from their line up. Trust me they understand cars much better than the average "Fast and Furious" forever shifting manual loving newbie . Cars are getting faster and being a manual is just counter productive to it.

Also to those calling the GT expensive, remember the Abarth costs even more and gives much lesser tech on board. The GT is fun to drive in the city as well where as the Abarth is a total nightmare especially in traffic with its offset ergonomics, heavy clutch, rubbery gearshifts and not to mention the turbo lag. . Just my opinion.

Last edited by Starfire : 28th December 2018 at 23:53.
Starfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 23:45   #71
Team-BHP Support

As far as hot hatchbacks are concerned, the Abarth Punto is the car I'd choose for this poll.

145 horsepower T-Jet + manual transmission + great suspension + superb brakes + fantastic steering. You simply cannot beat that combination.

However..

All things considered, the GT TSI is hard to beat. It's just the better package overall - powered by a punchy engine coupled with a fast gearbox, not to mention the availability of parts and service.

To be honest, the GT TSI isn't a hot hatch at all. It's just a commuter car that happens to have a great engine and gearbox. But its suspension and brakes don't do it justice and thus, I would not classify it under the "hot hatch" segment. It's a wild-card entry at best, in my opinion.

The JTP is the 2nd car I'd choose. It's an honest car by Tata and has all the makings of a true hot hatch!

Edit: Outside this poll, I'd say the Abarth 595 Competizione and the Mini Cooper S are the best hot hatchbacks ever to have been launched in India. It's a real pity that the 595 hasn't had too many takers, but if you look hard you can find low mileage 595s in the used car sections for about 25 lakh. A great car for that price!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th December 2018 at 23:49.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 23:53   #72
BHPian

Voted for GT TSI. It’s nimble like a cat in the city and can run hellishly on the highway. It’s decently loaded, is priced decently and it’s super smooth automatic gearbox makes it’s very convenient to drive as well. Looks are subjective but I personally find it a good looking car elegantly designed.
P.S I don’t own a polo gt but seriously considering it ��
Old 29th December 2018, 05:29   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

To be honest, the GT TSI isn't a hot hatch at all. It's just a commuter car that happens to have a great engine and gearbox. But its suspension and brakes don't do it justice and thus, I would not classify it under the "hot hatch" segment..
+1. Absolutely!

The first time I drove the GT Tsi, this is what exactly I thought. "Damn this car is overrated!" This was what exactly I wrote in Teambhp in one of my threads after the 50 km drive on the highway: (No offence to owners)

Your favourite hot hatch in India?-screenshot_201812290537512.png

It is nice and all, but there isn't much of a fun factor or a thrill in driving it. Power delivery is nowhere near explosive. It is entertaining and not boring and that's about it. It handles okay but when you bring Abarth's dynamics into comparison, GT Tsi becomes nothing more than an average car. And you see most people here voting for GT Tsi as their favourite hot hatch quoting convenience inside the city

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 29th December 2018 at 05:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 07:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Your favourite hot hatch in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
I'll put my money on the Polo TSI among these. Though the Abarth had left me surprised with its brutal mid range and cornering capabilities , the fiat is ergonomically flawed in many areas (seats and driving position especially) and is woefully dated.
This poll is about hot hatches. Not which car you would buy for convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
My vote goes to the GT TSI.

Let's get one fact straight. Seeing the poll between the GT and Abarth being equal is one thing and knowing the fact that the number of BHPians who own the GT TSI out number the ones who own the Abarth is another thing. The very reason why talk is small and the Abarth Punto exited our market in the first place.
Again, TSI bought for convenience, Fiats hardly sold and was not on too many people's shopping list.I have lived with the Punto's ergonomics for 6 years now and am still in love with my car.

Quote:
I see many people here saying that an automatic can never be as fun as a manual. To be honest that concept seems to be outdated. People still swear by this fact which was passed back in the 2000's where automatics were slow, had few gear ratios and were jerky.
Agree, after having driven the ZF, Mercs new 9 gtronic and MCT speedshift , have to agree with you here.

Quote:
Also to those calling the GT expensive, remember the Abarth costs even more and gives much lesser tech on board. The GT is fun to drive in the city as well where as the Abarth is a total nightmare especially in traffic with its offset ergonomics, heavy clutch, rubbery gearshifts and not to mention the turbo lag. . Just my opinion.
Agree, but we are not asking you to buy. Just select a hot hatch. I didn't buy the 320d for similar characteristics but bought a C250 as it felt more tamed for city use. I would pick the keys of the 320 any day for drive out in the night.

Quote:
As far as hot hatchbacks are concerned, the Abarth Punto is the car I'd choose for this poll.

145 horsepower T-Jet + manual transmission + great suspension + superb brakes + fantastic steering. You simply cannot beat that combination.
Well said. A hot hatch has to have the chassis, suspension and brakes to match.

Quote:

The JTP is the 2nd car I'd choose. It's an honest car by Tata and has all the makings of a true hot hatch!
Haven't driven one yet. Hope to catch the pocket rocket on Sunday for a test drive.

Quote:
Edit: Outside this poll, I'd say the Abarth 595 Competizione and the Mini Cooper S are the best hot hatchbacks ever to have been launched in India.
And the GTI.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2018 at 12:43. Reason: Fixed quotes.
Old 29th December 2018, 09:49   #75
BHPian

Voted for the TSI. For sheer comfort, convenience, unmatched pleasure, and a super driving experience.
My own take:
For the race track probably the Abarth.
For Indian city roads and highways Gt TSI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks