New WagonR 2019 24 14.63%
New Santro 54 32.93%
Tiago 86 52.44%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2019, 14:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Small, safe car for my wife and newborn

If you are willing to look pre-owned and take a risk on a say 5 year old car, you can get something that cost 10 to even 15 lakhs at your budget. The advantage of bigger cars like say a Skoda Rapid / Toyota Corolla / Honda City / Hyundai Verna / Fiat Linea etc, is that you get pretty impressive safety levels at your budget. However, you will get a used car with no warranty and the potential for issues. Also, it is a bigger car, which may not necessarily be practical depending on where you live and drive, given it is more cumbersome than a small hatchback
Old 30th October 2019, 14:49   #17
BHPian

If your safety requirements mean 2 airbags then that is mandatory for all cars today. So that leaves us with the brand choice.

Personally, if safety is prime concern here and we think build quality, I would choose Ford Figo Petrol.

Then if you also want to think about points like "Kitna Deti Hai" etc, its a another story. The way I look at it, safety and cheap can't coexist. You have to choose either one side to lean. You might be made to think by manufacturers that you can get a car cheap AND still just as safe but its smarter to know that there are no free lunches.

VW is also good if you look at it solely from safety point of view and it could have good discounts at this point of time too but things like high maintenance cost, screwy ASS woes, etc might be a pain here.

All the best with your choice.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th October 2019 at 17:20. Reason: Spacing
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 15:01   #18
BHPian

Hi thetuxracer

Options that I feel may be relevant; NOT in any particular order (others may add more in the posts to come)

1. Tata Tiago (XM) - 6.1 lac on road - ABS + 2 Airbag
2. Maruti WagonR (VXI) - 5.6 lac on Road - ABS + 1 Airbag +EBD
3. Hyundai Santro (Magna) - 5.7 lac on Road - ABS + 1 Airbag + EBD
4. Maruti Ignis (Sigma) - 5.7 lac on Road - ABS + 2 Airbag+ EBD

As for ISOFIX; the ISOFIX compatible child seats are pretty expensive; conventional may be better. ISOFIX is not available in the options I mentioned.

Another factor you may need to include is boot space with the Kids accessories to be lugged around wherever you go.

Second hand cars may open a lot more options for you.
silvercloud is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 15:45   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud View Post
Second hand cars may open a lot more options for you.
This I completely agree with. Used doesn't mean it has to be high mileage, with niggles.
You should ideally look for something like a pre-owned Honda Jazz CVT which would tick all your requirements, including practicality.
If it is less than 2 years old you can even pick up extended warranty for further peace of mind.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 17:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

When Mother is with the kid, she is the biggest safety equipment that NO car ever in the world can have. I mean, seriously, Mother will ensure that she drives safe and kid is absolutely safe when she accompanies the kid

Added to the above, if you drive the car as a responsible Father, definitely the Kid, wife and yourself will be safe.

Just as an example, I was driving Qualis and had driven more than 2 lakh Kms overall, but still, when my mother accompanied me, she used to drive me and ensure I drive safe

No need to do a research on which car to buy IMHO

Last edited by gkveda : 30th October 2019 at 17:13.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 18:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
When Mother is with the kid, she is the biggest safety equipment that NO car ever in the world can have. I mean, seriously, Mother will ensure that she drives safe and kid is absolutely safe when she accompanies the kid
I agree with you partially, but our roads are filled with imbeciles who have no business to be behind a steering wheel. To avoid such eventuality, a safer car is needed.
You can be 1000% correct, but the other person can be 1% wrong to affect you badly.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 20:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Personally, if safety is prime concern here and we think build quality, I would choose Ford Figo Petrol.
Didn't Aspire get only 3-Star NCAP rating, Ignis has same as far as some articles go, though no one is sure if Indian spec is the same one as the one exported from India.

Except for Tiago, other small cars do feel flimsy. Even I would suggest a good used car like the Jazz CVT for a more complete car ownership experience.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 13:17   #23

Re: Which AMT hatchback? Santro vs WagonR vs Tiago

Thank you everyone for suggestions, I have noted those. Just had a word and it seems used is definitely out of the argument. Tata is a no because of the brand. Hyundai is the only one that wins by exclusion of everything else.
thetuxracer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 17:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetuxracer View Post
Thank you everyone for suggestions, I have noted those. Just had a word and it seems used is definitely out of the argument. Tata is a no because of the brand. Hyundai is the only one that wins by exclusion of everything else.
If you have not already bought, have a look at crash test results that was announced today. Santro scored a poor two star rating, same as Wagon-R. I believe Tiago has never been tested. So Santro being a safer car myth is busted. Below is It's description.
Quote:
The Santro achieved two stars for adult occupant protection and two stars for child occupant protection. The Santro offers only a driver frontal airbag as standard. Its structure was rated as unstable. Its footwell area was rated as unstable. Head and neck protection for adult occupants was good. Chest protection was weak for the driver and marginal for the passenger leading to a limitation of the SBR points achieved by this model for the driver. Child occupant protection showed poor results mainly because the manufacturers did not recommend a CRS for the test. The dynamic performance was poor as the head of the 3 year old showed contact during the impact. There was limited protection for the 3 year old neck while the 18 month old received acceptable protection. The Santro offers standard driver SBR but its points were not considered for the final rating as the chest of the driver received weak protection. It is surprising that this car is not offering 3 points belts for all occupants.
Just to compare, here is the description of Wagon-R crash test results which is just as poor if not more.
Quote:

The WagonR achieved two stars for adult occupant protection and two stars for child occupant protection. The WagonR offers only a driver frontal airbag as standard. Its structure was rated as unstable. Its footwell area was rated as unstable and pedal displacement showed some risk to the lower legs of the driver. Head protection for adult occupants was good. Neck protection for driver was good and adequate for passenger. Chest protection was weak for both front passengers leading to limitations in the SBR points achieved by this model. Child occupant protection showed poor results mainly for the 3 year old dummy as its Child Restraint System (CRS) broke during the impact and the head impacted the front seat. Chest protection for the 18month old dummy was low despite being installed rearward facing.
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 18:41   #25

Thanks RaghuVis for bringing that to my attention, I much appreciate it.
thetuxracer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:03   #26

I finally booked the Santro. Negotiated and received around 1L discount. On road is 6.90, final amount is 5.90L.
thetuxracer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 19:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I finally booked the Santro. Negotiated and received around 1L discount. On road is 6.90, final amount is 5.90L.
is it Magna or Sportz?
Old 28th November 2019, 21:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
is it Magna or Sportz?
It's the Sportz variant. As part of a refresh, they now have a passenger airbag and reverse camera as standard on this variant.
Old 29th November 2019, 07:09   #29
BHPian

I am also considering Wagon R ZXI 1.2 AMT. With 1.2L 4 cylinder engine, increased space (boot space is same as Ecosport!) and known reliability, I find it the most practical and VFM among budget hatches.

But then, I am open to used car market, and I see that I can own a 2018 used Duster top model AMT for less than 10 lakh. Its maintenance cost is similar, and fuel bills will be lower. Specs wise, there is no comparison. Two segments above.

PS: Those who have seen my other posts, yes I have the weirdest possible shortlist, starting from Wagon R, going via Zest, Amaze, Duster and ending at Hexa.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please elaborate a little more? May be the break up of the 1L discount you got? How much was cash? if there was any exchange bonus?

Most Viewed