Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2007, 03:50   #1
BHPian

Swift Diesel / Indica V3 (Dicor)

I currently own an Indica Xeta and drive around 30 kms daily mostly on a highway. The car returns about 12kmpl and i end up spending about 3800 Rs monthly. Thus i decided to buy a Diesel car and have been waiting for a year now for the launch of Indica v3 (Dicor). But maruthi managed to beat tata in the CRDI race. Now i have the option of going in for the Swift Diesel or waiting for the still unheard off Indica v3. I have a budget of 4 to 6 lakhs.

What do you guys suggest? Any news available on the Indica v3 yet?

I heard many of you say that 30km per day is not enough to justify purchase of diesel engine. But to me a swift D with 20 KMPL means a cost of just 1620 per monthand savings of over 2000 per month. I expect to retain the car atleast 5 years. Also i believe that my daily usage will go up once a diesel comes in as i would start preferring a fuel efficient car to my bike. More over i believe that the current generation of crdi engines are more or less maintenance free unlike the old diesel vehicles. please correct me if i am wrong in any of my calculations.

I had a look at the Swift diesel in the showroom and it looked much similar to the petrol version. I was told that the Swift Diesel would give an FE of 22KMPL. The lack of the zxi equivalent really bugs me as i am missing certain required features which are not even provided as optional. The zxi features missing in the diesel version are

Automatic climate control
Driver seat height adjuster
Electromagnetic tailgate opener
Rear window wiper and demister
Airbag

Can these features be installed as optional and how much would each cost?
I am particularly interested in the first 3 items. I was told that the zxi dint have a seat height adjustment and that automatic climate control cant be properly installed in Vdi and it would be too costly coming to about 50k. Is this true?

Missing features which are available as optional are
Rear Parcel shelf
Dashboard digital clock
Keyless entry
Alloy wheels
ABS with EBD
Roof Spoiler

Any idea how much each costs?
Old 28th January 2007, 10:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

the indica dicor probably wont be as refined as the swift..

climate control would be difficult to fit. they would have to install sensors, etc
if even the zxi dosent have a seat height adjuster then i dont think u can get it put in the diesel.
i dont think you get airbags as an option.

the rear parcel shelf can probably be picked up from any good accessory shop.
same with the digital clock. (your music system head unit would also have one so a separate one dosent really make sense)
alloy wheels and tyres can be bought for about 25-30k
abs costs about 30k and you dont get ebd.
you can get a good keyless entry system for aobut 5k.
Old 28th January 2007, 10:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Boss, how can you have a What Car? question for a car that's not even been launched yet? I don't see the DICOR Indica in the very recent future, since the facelifted Indica has been just out, and the Indigo XL is the first of the DICOR powered sedans. As for the Swift D, please read the first reviews starting to crop up all over the forum.
Old 28th January 2007, 10:26   #4
BHPian

fitting a auto climate control a/c ina swift diesel would be very difficult and a waste of money....
and yes zxi comes with driver height adjustment
other features except for airbags/ABS can be installed but IMO no use...
Old 28th January 2007, 12:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The Multijet in the Swift is a much-acclaimed engine. If I were to be making this decision I'd blindly do in for the D Swift. A Maruti is always way ahead of Tata in refinement and A.S.S.
Old 28th January 2007, 12:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you get a Swift VDi. The Dicor Indica is atleast 6 months away.
It would be nice if you could get the ABS equipped version as it helps a lot.
Cheers
Old 28th January 2007, 16:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecase_01 View Post
fitting a auto climate control a/c ina swift diesel would be very difficult and a waste of money....
if they zxi does come with height adjustment then just get the seat changed.
airbags cant be put in but abs is an option and IMO its very usefull.. infact could even be a life saver.
Old 28th January 2007, 17:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Multijet in the Swift is a much-acclaimed engine. If I were to be making this decision I'd blindly do in for the D Swift. A Maruti is always way ahead of Tata in refinement and A.S.S.
Having experienced the NVH of indigo xl personally and from the intial reviews about the swift diesel, it seems multijet is far ahead in terms of refinement.
Old 28th January 2007, 20:27   #9
BANNED

SWIFT D!!!
Yes, it is a good, very practical vehicle. The engine is very good. It looks pretty too.
Old 28th January 2007, 23:00   #10
BHPian

If you don't need spacious interiors go for Swift. Else go for Indica or wait for the Getz Diesel. But the quality of Indica wont be as good as Swift or a Getz.
Old 29th January 2007, 00:28   #11
BHPian

Yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
If you don't need spacious interiors go for Swift. Else go for Indica or wait for the Getz Diesel. But the quality of Indica wont be as good as Swift or a Getz.
. Well said and i completely agree to that... Quality is always a problem with TATA guys. As R & D department is public ( i mean consumers) ...

I hope you can choose Swift D ( VDi Version) and have peace of mind....

Cheers,
Jai
Old 29th January 2007, 02:21   #12
BHPian

Hi guys i have decided to go for the Swift Vdi. The pathway leading to my house is just barely enough for my Xeta. As far as i know Swift is taller wider and longer than Xeta (4 cm taller, 2 cm longer and 2.5 cm wider). It should barely fit through. So i have decided to install body and bumper moulding too since it could come into play sooner or later.

The lack of inner space inspite of the bigger external size is what people have been seen complaining about the swift. Any idea how much difference there is in the inner width of an Indica and Swift. Also does anyone know the turning raduis of swift and indica?
Old 29th January 2007, 11:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepd11 View Post
The lack of inner space inspite of the bigger external size is what people have been seen complaining about the swift. Any idea how much difference there is in the inner width of an Indica and Swift.
Whatever be the on paper numbers, Indica's do feel a lot more spacious than Swifts.

Although you have decided on your purchase I'm still wondering. For the VDi you'll be paying almost 2.5 to 3 L more for the new car .. considering you get a decent resale value on the Xeta and that you are taking a loan for the Swift.
Your diesel savings over 5 years with your current running will be around 1.2L .. would you be driving more than double what you are right now ? 'Coz otherwise economically it isn't a great bargain.
Also, consciously driving more to make up the cost also means you spend more money where you need not have.

Having said that - if you just feel like going for a new car, then dump the economics and go ahead and buy it
Old 29th January 2007, 11:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Having said that - if you just feel like going for a new car, then dump the economics and go ahead and buy it
I agree with SHUVC.
I really don't get, why you are going for a hatchback, when you already have fairly new one. If fuel cost is the concern, you can alway try CNG/LPG option. Otherwise, if you have a budget and want to spend, then look for a sedan in that range. Which will atleast move you one level up in terms of status. Finally it is your choice.
Old 29th January 2007, 11:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecase_01 View Post
Know one area where India is far ahead of the rest of the world? The number of road accident deaths! ABS and airbags if available in more cars would definitely reduce the number of fatalities, at least for car occupants. I can personally testify to the abilities of ABS in blinding rain on the Bombay-Pune Expressway and while I haven't had the opportunity to ever need the airbags (and pray I never would), it's nice to know that this life-saving system is also there if needed.

If you want to go ahead and die in a road accident because you don't care about safety equipment, please feel free, but yaar, don't make such stupid recommendations to others who may take your advice and pay for it with their lives!

Sorry to be harsh, but life is precious!

-Ivor

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks