Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2007, 13:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
i got a bit when i saw the tires on the u-va..cycle tires look thicker..
Except the LT (top spec model) - that one's got 185/65 R14 NCT5.

Quote:
Actually, for a budget of 6L you can also look at the Baleno LXI
Don't think that's an option anymore, since it's out of production with practically nil stock.

Quote:
wait for 2 months Logan is great car, it has great space for family like 4 people Logan is great car!
I second that .. it should be a good car .. if you can wait awhile, make your decision after this car is launched

Since your primary requirements seem to be very good A.S.S. (quality and availability) and low maintenance, I would stick to the Maruti and Hyundai brands.

The Getz CRDi would probably fit your bill the best - again it'll be good if you can wait. If not the petrol would also do fine with your usage. At least try and wait till the facelifted Getz is launched.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:07   #17
BHPian

December Swift Sales: 4500+
December Getz Sales: 400+
Source: ACI Jan issue

Take an educated guess which one you should buy..

Last edited by anarchist : 31st January 2007 at 14:08.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:26   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post

Just coz one sells more than the other doesnt mean that the other product is superior. Blame it on inadequate or improper marketing, or people not being able to realize the vehicle's strengths.

P.S. : I own neither the Swift nor the Getz, just expressing my opinion with regards to sales figures.
Old 31st January 2007, 16:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Just coz one sells more than the other doesnt mean that the other product is superior.
I would say it's not even a matter of which is superior. He should buy a product that suits his requirements.
Old 31st January 2007, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, since you're not considering any factor apart from the sale nos., would I be fair in asking you ..

What are Lamborghini's December Sales : ?

Old 31st January 2007, 18:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Even I'd prefer Getz over Swift any day. Swift's rear seats are fine only for kids not for adults. And I feel Getz is also better to drive in the city conditions as it requires fewer gear shifts than Swift. The only negative thing about Getz is its incorrect pricing which has almost killed the brand.
Old 31st January 2007, 19:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

re : Getz VS Swift

Im actually in the market for a new car... oh well my dad is Options basically boil down to the Getz/Swift. Main constraints being Size + Cost.
[size=0]But im hatching a devious plan to pitch the Baleno to my dad. Heheh.[/size]

Personally I feel the Getz is a better car. I would choose the swift solely for its looks and modding capability.

Those sales figures are a real eye opener thouugh... seems like Maruti has been able to really eyewash the consumers!!

Quote:
Just coz one sells more than the other doesnt mean that the other product is superior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I would say it's not even a matter of which is superior. He should buy a product that suits his requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Well, since you're not considering any factor apart from the sale nos., would I be fair in asking you ..

Old 1st February 2007, 13:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post

Here we are talking about Swift n Getz so thats like comparing an apple with an apple.

You wanna know Lambo sales go ahead n google it dude..

Lotsa people will say Swift is better than Getz and there will be people who say Getz is better but ultimately its how the market responds to a product and as you can see Swift is preferred by a huge margin to the Getz. and here you have Hyundai trying their best to come up with something that can get people buy the Getz and not forget that it existed in the near future. All the very best to all the current and future Getz owners.

Last edited by anarchist : 1st February 2007 at 13:53.
Old 1st February 2007, 15:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lotsa people will say Swift is better than Getz and there will be people who say Getz is better but ultimately its how the market responds to a product and as you can see Swift is preferred by a huge margin to the Getz.
As I mentioned before, I feel Getz is a better car.

My reason for buying swift though would be looks/Mod worthiness.

Europe/Australia the Getz(and 3 door) have stormed the market.
Thats why it features amongst the Top10 cars of 2006. Swift is nowhere in that list.

The stock swifts on the road in australia are much better than the indian counterpart by leaps and bound.

Last edited by s0uljah : 1st February 2007 at 15:36.
Old 1st February 2007, 19:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

April ain't that far away you know,or are you contemplating only hatchbacks.
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukheshkumar View Post
Dear Hondadude
Swift Diesel is brilliantly priced.
Do you still think that there is that extra flab of Initial cost of Diesel car?.

Today, in Bangalore at least, more than the Kilometers per month, number of hours engine is on and running makes sense according to me.

Still, I do agree that once in six months you need to spend Rs 2000 on Diesel engine maintenance which wold be 50% in case of petrol engines.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Sure, the traffic density, the route you take etc influences the mileage. There is another thread elsewhere on this forum when someone has put up a spreadsheet showing that cost would be recovered in x amount of years etc.

For rohintonw's running, the cost will be recovered in probably 4 years or so. By then it will be time to buy a new car so what's the point in buying a diesel ?

Besides, I and several others have mentioned about the lack of comfort in rear seat of Swift as well.

Swift is a great car. It's just that in my opinion Getz satisfies the need of rohintonw better.
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here we are talking about Swift n Getz so thats like comparing an apple with an apple.

Lotsa people will say Swift is better than Getz and there will be people who say Getz is better but ultimately its how the market responds to a product and as you can see Swift is preferred by a huge margin to the Getz. and here you have Hyundai trying their best to come up with something that can get people buy the Getz and not forget that it existed in the near future. All the very best to all the current and future Getz owners.
Its common knowledge that the reason Getz lost out in favor of the Swift is due to its pricing, which Hyundai seems to have gotten terribly wrong.
Maruti also committed the same blunder when they overpriced their gem, called the Baleno. Do the necessary price corrections, and u would see how it sells.
Old 2nd February 2007, 18:32   #28
BHPian

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. I did a small test drive of the Swift Diesel today and felt good.
I had my family sit and the back and it was a little cramped in. They could hv definately improved on that. As for the drive it was good. The diesel engine had very low knocking, but to ealry to say as the car I was driving was hardly at 800 kms.
I am going to test drive the U-va next and I think I will defiantely explore the Esteem option.
I was a little spectical of the Esteem, but having see that here I think I will still give it a shot.
I think I am just a Maruti guy as I know they hv a strong service line up .. but lets see.

Yeah, I can wait for the Renault, but i think I waited enough , until we really know that the wait is going to give gold, then i don't mind as the Swift Diesel still has a 1.5 months wait.

Also on the Diesel piece, why do we still count milage if technology has changed. Do we relly need to heat up the engine every day ?

Will keep you all posted and if you hv some more sugestions do let me know.
Old 3rd February 2007, 13:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
If rear seat comfort is your first priority, Swift is probably not the right choice for you. Whatever you choose, it isn't really worth paying that much extra for a diesel. Running of 1500 kms per month isn't enough to cover the high initial cost for diesel.

Any reason, why you aren't considering Getz ? It probably satisfies your requirements more than Swift or U-VA considering Hyundai a.s.s. is fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Except for Rear seat comfort Swift is good, Swift is cramped car, Getz, UVA, Palio better ones among hatch, Or wait for 2 months Logan is great car, it has great space for family like 4 people Logan is great car!

Regards,

Ravi.
Quote:
I would advise against the Swift, as rear seat comfort is a bother. Would have sufficed if it was just you, and ur family, but with ur parents also being a part of the bandwagon, wudnt recommend Swift.

Getz wud be a much better option, and Hyundai A.*.S. shud be satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronline View Post
Even I'd prefer Getz over Swift any day. Swift's rear seats are fine only for kids not for adults. And I feel Getz is also better to drive in the city conditions as it requires fewer gear shifts than Swift. The only negative thing about Getz is its incorrect pricing which has almost killed the brand.
On the contrary, among Alto, Wagon R, Zen Estilo, Esteem.... Swift has the best rear seat comfort as compared to any body else. In others you feel something is missing under your thighs, on long journeys, you will feel strained, but not in a Swift. Swift has got big seats to drown you in them. There is less space behind that agreed but you'll get accustomed to it.

Look at this link - Cover Story SUZUKI SWIFT

It mentions -

The rear seat deserves special mention for the comfort it offers. Like in the front, the cushioning is spot-on, not too hard and not too soft. But what makes it truly stand out is the fantastic under-thigh support it offers, thanks to a deep seat base. This is a tribute to the Indian engineers who developed the Swift's back seat. No one knows back seat comfort the way Indians do!

Personally even I found the rear seats of Swift quite comfortable with excellent under thigh support and allows one to relax comfortably for all the hours of driving. You can relax pulling yourself behind properly. It's seats allow you to sink properly inside. the width of the seats is also large, and 3 people can sit comfortably together. What else are you looking at? It's AC is also quite powerful enough. In all you feel comfortable during the journey and that's what matters. The back may be a problem for people with good height but for normal people, it's fine.

Baleno is a class apart though. It's got the best seats and rear seats for a fine car like that. But the recent price hikes of Rs. 12,000 on it will affect the sales to a good extent and that too for a model which is going out and for which the production is closed down. They will not likely be able to clear their inventories as good as they could have. It appears that Maruti folks have read the opinions about the Baleno from Team BHP to arrive at the conclusion to hike the prices of Baleno by the highest amount.

The diesel is quite costly initially (1 lac+) but if the running is more than 1500 km to 2000 km or more then the cost can be recovered quickly. Moreover in 2007 all companies are going to focus on Diesels. So there is going to be lots of competition and Diesel cars will hold their value good. Swift Diesel being a new car will also hold it's value very tightly and you'll be able to recover the investment cost to a great extent if you sell it off later. It will sell off better than Petrol at least as far as % of investment recovered is considered considering all cars are actually depreciating assets.

In my opinion, Swift Lxi Petrol and converted to CNG from an authorized convertor dealer (also keeping in mind the safety points vital for running a CNG vehicle to prevent from mishaps) immediately after buying a new Swift is also a very good option. Warranty lost may not affect much as it has a tried and tested Esteem engine. Moreover petrol cars run properly for 3-4 yrs initially. So for 4.5 lacs on road for Lxi with CNG, your running costs stay below 1500 - 2000 bucks per month for 1500 km + or so. Also the down payments are also very less. Add to that the road taxes are also lesser by almost 15,000 Rs when purchasing the car. You can spend all the money saved on frilling it up with K&N filters and mods, good stereos and DVD players, spice up and color the interiors with beige color and good leather or soft comfort feel seat covers also and make it hotter than even the Swift Vxi.

Getz is a stylish car also, however it's Fuel efficiency is a bother. It will return 8-11 kmpl on an average. Even 2-3 kmpl lower in efficiency and a high usage of 1500 km or so makes Getz eventually costlier by around 22 - 25,000 Rs per year. So during a 5 yr span you'll eventually spend over 1 lac extra just in Fuel ??? Why not spend that 1 lac on a good quality Diesel initially and save the money and invest in good Japanese technology combined with an award winning 1.3 Fiat Diesel multijet engine? Add to that the higher resale value and increased torque, quicker performance on highways increased fuel efficiency of 22kmpl + ( as reported on NDTV Car and Bike show) and Think about it !

However Getz Diesel when launched may fill in the shortcomings of Swift Diesel and then they can have a winner in their hands if priced properly. Besides how the market reacts to larger cars like the Logan Diesel in the same price range of 5.5 lacs, It could be that eventually the consumer will be tilted towards the Logan as a big car is any day big and the Indian consumer will definitely think as to why to spend the same amount on a hatch when I can get a proper sedan at the same price. But then come to think about it, Logan is a new player, so nobody knows how it will do. And to play safe, probably the Swift may ultimately be a better and a safer buy. But the mind is never satisfied and it always thinks what if I had got a bigger and larger car !

So it's your call ultimately. What do you want today ?

Last edited by Tech : 3rd February 2007 at 13:16.
Old 3rd February 2007, 13:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist

Lotsa people will say Swift is better than Getz and there will be people who say Getz is better but ultimately its how the market responds to a product and as you can see Swift is preferred by a huge margin to the Getz.
There exists a concept of "exclusivity" - google about it dude. THAT was the perspective in which Lamborghini was mentioned as an example.

I believe that the Getz and Swift cater to a different segment of the market altogether
so what we are comparing is infact NOT an apple vs. apple scenario.

The Swift caters to a market segment that is looking at VFM and the reliability of a Maruti brand name. You guys are going on and on about mileage - I didn't even give it a thought. It's not even a factor of consideration for me. So the Getz has a lower mileage - frankly I don't care. My other 2 cars are Hondas, both of which give sub-10 kms to a litre.

Now that the Swift is coming in diesel, people are going to lap it up - which means more of them on the road - even the Indica segment will be moving to the Swift. This in itself is a HUGE negative for me .

My initial inclination was 60:40 Getz:Swift - but with the Diesel option being launched its more like 90:10.

Point being - the Getz is positioned differently from the Swift because of which it is selling less.

Quote:
and here you have Hyundai trying their best to come up with something that can get people buy the Getz and not forget that it existed in the near future.
Duh??

Quote:
All the very best to all the current and future Getz owners.
Thank You.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks