Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2007, 15:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey you are right Manveet. I felt the same thing.

===

Hi Rohintonw,

One suggestion about Maruti cars (every car) If you give first importance to economy then buy maruti cars.

I hate every maruti cars for its cramped seating, poor quality all around, dark interior, too much of hyped marketing.

I like most of the Maruti cars for good resale value, economy, looks.

According to me when we buy car one must give importance to safety, comfort, quality! But Maruti scores less in safety and quality. Maruti suspension is tuned for indian conditions although but again not much diference with other cars.

Of course choice is yours this is my personal opinion

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 3rd February 2007 at 15:32.
Old 3rd February 2007, 15:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

I'd advise you to stretch your budget a little, if possible, and buy a Baleno. Nothing can beat that.
Old 3rd February 2007, 16:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
But Maruti scores less in safety and quality.
Ravi...Do you think the Swift scores less in safety? For your info, the Swift is one of the safer cars in its segment. And with regard to quality....Maruti cars would not be at the top of the customer satisfaction rankings if their cars were of low quality. You may be referring to the build. Most Japanese cars are not heavily built unlike European and American cars and this helps in making the cars economical and the cost saving by using lighter sheet metal allows them to use parts which make the car more reliable and hence better quality. Mind you..this is after ensuring the car is designed to meet the latest safety standards as is the case with the Swift.
Old 3rd February 2007, 16:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Ravi...Do you think the Swift scores less in safety? For your info, the Swift is one of the safer cars in its segment.
Swift is a pretty safe car. No issues in that dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
And with regard to quality....Maruti cars would not be at the top of the customer satisfaction rankings if their cars were of low quality.
My opinion based on my observation is that Swift has issues like
  • low quality plastics in the interiors
  • insufficient damping (to facilitate weight reduction)
  • panel gaps here and there
  • A small thud on the bumper causes the clips to break
  • below the rear doors on the bottom-left corner, there is a plastic sheet coating - i've seen its color fade on 1 week new Swifts (more than a few i.e.)
Old 3rd February 2007, 17:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
  • below the rear doors on the bottom-left corner, there is a plastic sheet coating - i've seen its color fade on 1 week new Swifts (more than a few i.e.)
Manveet...that still does'nt mean "low quality". It indicates "low grade". How else could they manage to price the Swift so competitively? The Swift uses substantially more sheet metal than the Esteem and yet it is cheaper. This is like nit picking as the Swift is fantastic VFM as a package. But yes...as a customer it is our right to expect better.
Old 3rd February 2007, 17:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Swift is a pretty safe car. No issues in that dept.

What do you think, these are the only things the car is made of? if this is the criteria to buy the car then I think swift would be a flop car but it is not like that.
Old 3rd February 2007, 19:21   #37
BHPian

Ahem !!! Guys Guys Guys !!! Let's take one point in our mind and hearts that if our heart says Swift then Swift be it or else if our heart says Getz then Getz it is ! Then it's 'our' head ache to meet up with the shortcomings of the car we thought was better. Also one thing, after seeing the shortcomings if you feel that the guy driving the other car next to you is luckier to have chosen that car, then we have known our answer as to what was better for us.

If we want better interiors, then go for NHC. Pay the monopolistic company a higher price which is what they are here in India for. If customer support and responsiveness and ease of getting our car repaired for shortcomings / issues is our key priority then probably Maruti is better. i.e. if you do not want the head aches ! But that's not to say that Hyundai is behind.

As to if you feel Getz is fine even with less Fuel efficiency then its ok too. You've got too much loose cash in your pockets then that's fine. So what if India is paying the gulf so much foreign exchange for the petrol it is importing? If we feel comfortable in 'contributing' to the wealth of other nations so be it. Then do your bit by going in for Getz. That's not to say that it is not a good car. I like it for better decent & styling that it has. Lots of thoughtful things like 60:40 rear seats and so on. But one thing even Hyundai knows that 16 valve engines are latest tech and they cannot just hold on to its old technology saying that it's better. With Verna they are now going with 16 valve cylinder engines for better fuel efficiency also. So with new Getz and Santro probably they will ultimately do what Maruti's Japanese technology has been doing so far all these years.

It is ridiculous to say that if a car is not fuel efficient then it hardly matters. Do you feel comfortable with an employee who is not efficient in his work? Don't you feel like giving him a taste of what he is doing? At our work we preach efficiency and productivity and cost effectiveness and lowest costs and highest outputs, here when we want to prove our point then we say it hardly bothers me even if it is not a fuel efficient car.

Ladies and Gentlemen, even in the US, people treat fuel expenses as a waste nothing else. Lots of times, good family parties are put aside just for this reason. If that was not the case then Toyota would not have been better than Ford and the day is not far when it will out perform GM too. Ford's recently reported $12.7 billion 2006 loss is a proof of what customers are looking for. US is ahead in time than India, but it is better to learn from other people's mistakes else time will eventually make us learn !
Old 3rd February 2007, 19:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
This is like nit picking as the Swift is fantastic VFM as a package.
I absolutely agree with you, it is excellent VFM and therefore it is a very good buy.
Old 3rd February 2007, 20:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
As to if you feel Getz is fine even with less Fuel efficiency then its ok too. You've got too much loose cash in your pockets then that's fine. So what if India is paying the gulf so much foreign exchange for the petrol it is importing? If we feel comfortable in 'contributing' to the wealth of other nations so be it. Then do your bit by going in for Getz.
Your logic is hilarious.

Quote:
It is ridiculous to say that if a car is not fuel efficient then it hardly matters.
For me it is more important that a car be silent and refined from inside. So if a company provides extra damping at the cost of a few extra kgs, the FE will obviously go down. Or maybe I can throw out the insulating material, use low grade plastic, reduce costs and hence provide better FE.

As a mature customer, one pays for what is important to them. What may be important for A may be irrelevant for B. So grow up and stop painting everyone with the same brush.

Quote:
Do you feel comfortable with an employee who is not efficient in his work? Don't you feel like giving him a taste of what he is doing? At our work we preach efficiency and productivity and cost effectiveness and lowest costs and highest outputs, here when we want to prove our point then we say it hardly bothers me even if it is not a fuel efficient car.
No. At my work I preach better quality of work - not a better turn around time. This is not a line assembly in a manufacturing plant where everything is measure in Input and Output.

p.s. - Going by your logic, I'm surprised you're not asking me to buy a M800, I'm sure that'll be more FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo
What do you think, these are the only things the car is made of? if this is the criteria to buy the car then I think swift would be a flop car but it is not like that.
Arrey bhai, mere ko yeh important hai - I'm not saying poori duniya ko important hoga. I've highlighted the fact that it's my opinion.

Anyways, no more from me on this thread. This is getting into a useless spar of words.

Regards.
Old 3rd February 2007, 20:19   #40
BHPian

by tech's logic everyone should start walking and stop buying cars
Old 3rd February 2007, 20:47   #41
BHPian

Ha Ha ! Whenever the question of what car comes in we start to fight with each other like children. Let's grow up a bit and start respecting other's view points. Okay ? And let the car manufacturing companies fight with themselves so that we customers get the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
by tech's logic everyone should start walking and stop buying cars
By the way there is no harm in walking. Whenever I get a chance, I prefer walking rather than picking up the car for near by market chores so that I get a good excercise also and stay fit and feel good and energetic as well. God gave you those limbs, use them once in a while also.

As regards fuel efficiency goes, if that were not the case then NHC would not have been a best seller in its category. I could have suggested that to you as well.

Just wait for some time, when Hydrogen, hybrid and Fuel Cell technology picks up, then you keep enjoying your non fuel efficient cars. World over technologies are changing fast and so are mindsets and people. We will also have to align ourselves with them. There is no harm in choosing better fuels and cheaper alternatives. Doing so doesn't proves anything wrong? Does it?

But many of us just want to show off ourselves to others by spending too much money to 'up' ourselves. And let me say, there is no end to it. You can go ahead to buy a 3 or 4 crores car also, it will still not satisfy many. You'll still want more.

To all I just say, grow up!

Last edited by Tech : 3rd February 2007 at 21:00.
Old 5th February 2007, 12:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Chill, guys..!!
Somebody just asked for some help in deciding which car to go for, and asked for an opinion. Looks like we're going overboard with our opinions.

May peace prevail !!
Old 5th February 2007, 13:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Manveet ,
I did not understand fully other points but at point 1 and 3 ( about plastics nad panel gaps) you have gone bit far.
swift interiors are much better to getz. As far as quality of plastics is considered swift score more than getz, its pretty well known. Please compare and check yourself. I hope you will agree to this once cross- check without any inhibitions.
regards
Ajay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks