Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which B1 hatchback would you choose?
Maruti WagonR 52 35.14%
Hyundai Santro 26 17.57%
Tata Tiago 63 42.57%
Maruti Celerio 4 2.70%
Other (please specify in your post) 3 2.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd June 2020, 14:44   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Need a City Hatchback for grandparents

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Their main requirements are:-
  1. Has to be a Hatchback. Petrol and automatic if possible.
  2. Performance should be plentiful to be driven around in the city and on occasional trips.
  3. Solid Build Quality with good safety features (2 Airbags, ABS, ESP)
  4. The car should be under 3.87m in length and 1.63m in breadth. Height is not a problem.
  5. Should have reliable A.S.S
  6. Should have Android Auto & In-built Navigation with a Touchscreen
With respect to the requirements you've mentioned above Grand i10 Nios sportz AMT would be a very good pick as it has a smooth AMT gearbox, good visibility, inbuilt Touchscreen,quality interiors and a fuss free Hyundai ownership.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 3rd June 2020 at 14:51.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:36   #32
BHPian

What if you found a used Honda Jazz in good condition? I'm sure Honda would tick the reliability box. Though I doubt you might get android auto. Suggested this since it comes with a CVT as opposed to an AMT.

Otherwise, you can look at the new Santro and the Tiago.
nikhilthegunner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Just curious if you've thought about ease of ingress/egress considering their age. Santro has a slightly taller seating unlike some of the other hatches you might be considering, Jazz for eg. The WagonR might be better suited for them given its design (and hence, clear edges) and tall seating.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The WagonR might be better suited for them given its design (and hence, clear edges) and tall seating.
Yes, I have thought of ingress and egress. Both my grandparents are quite fit (grandfather cycles 3KM everyday ). However, my grandmother has made it clear that she doesn't want to own another Santro nor the WagonR. So, I am specifically looking for an upgrade and possibly something like a Grand i10 NIOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
What if you found a used Honda Jazz in good condition? I'm sure Honda would tick the reliability box.
Otherwise, you can look at the new Santro and the Tiago.
Hey Nikhil, thank you for the response. I had clearly mentioned the very specific length and breadth requirements that my Kolkata Garage has and hence fitting any car bigger than 3.85 metres is not possible. Also, he is looking for a new car and not a pre-worshipped one. However, he also doesn't want a Santro again as he doesn't like the design at all and my grandmother has clearly said 'no'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahilrai166 View Post
With respect to the requirements you've mentioned above Grand i10 Nios sportz AMT would be a very good pick as it has a smooth AMT gearbox, good visibility, inbuilt Touchscreen,quality interiors and a fuss free Hyundai ownership.
Hi Sahil! Thank you for the recommendation. Would definitely ask him to take a look at the NIOS. He even told me about it, but I had told him that it might be a bit over our budget. However, a recalculation with the exchange and loyalty bonus might give me a sweet deal on one of those.

Thank you,
Akashdeep
Old 5th June 2020, 12:14   #35
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti WagonR vs the competition

If I were to buy a B1 segment car in this list, it would be strictly for the city use. There's nothing like the good visibility and ease of ingress/egress that's offered by WagonR. It also now comes with K12 engine which makes it a sweeter option of this lot. So, my pick would be WagonR with K12 engine.
Old 22nd August 2020, 00:36   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A friend needs to buy his first car within (strictly) 6 lakhs OTR price. He has following options in his mind
  • Tiago XE - Only fear of long term reliability.
  • Celerio VXi - The VXi does not even have infotainment. Poortly equipped with creature comforts.
  • Wagon R VXi - Teen ka dabba (but I explained him about benefits of crumple zones)
  • S-Presso - Even I don't know why he need this car? Good for 4 people only.
He considered following too but I am against any base models.
  • Santro base
  • Grand i10 NiOS base
  • Ignis base

He is inclined towards Tiago but I have suggested him to consider either Hyundai or Maruti for their long term reliability. Tiago is a good vehicle but I don't know where Tiago will stand after 7 years on reliability front.

He is a non enthusiast and going to keep car for lifetime (15 years) and will be taking loan for 7 years. His family completes with his mother, himself (40), his better half and 2 kids around age of 15 and 14 years. So 5 full adults but long journeys will be mostly done with 4 passengers on the board.

Can you guys please help me to suggest him a right vehicle?

Note: No Renault Triber because he stay in village and the only dealerships he do have within 50 KMs radius are TATA, Mahindra, Hyundai and Maruti. Service should not be a pain.
Old 22nd August 2020, 01:37   #37
AYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
A friend needs to buy his first car within (strictly) 6 lakhs OTR price. He has following options in his mind
  • Tiago XE - Only fear of long term reliability.
  • Celerio VXi - The VXi does not even have infotainment. Poortly equipped with creature comforts.
  • Wagon R VXi - Teen ka dabba (but I explained him about benefits of crumple zones)
  • S-Presso - Even I don't know why he need this car? Good for 4 people only.
He considered following too but I am against any base models.
  • Santro base
  • Grand i10 NiOS base
  • Ignis base

Can you guys please help me to suggest him a right vehicle?

Note: No Renault Triber because he stay in village and the only dealerships he do have within 50 KMs radius are TATA, Mahindra, Hyundai and Maruti. Service should not be a pain.
I would suggest the Ignis Delta followed by the Tiago XT.

The Ignis is a segment higher(or perhaps half) compared to the other cars plus you get all the basics in the car along with Maruti ASS. The K12 is a gem of an engine. Ignis being a comparatively slow mover(for a Maruti) generally has 20-30k discounts which may go higher in the upcoming festive season. This will easily bring the Ignis Delta to below the 6L price mark.

The Tiago XT is well equipped as well, save for the steering mounted controls which is a glaring miss. Decent level of equipment coupled with excellent 4 star safety rating might just negate the questionable Tata A.S.S. to some extent. You will find many satisfied long term Tata owners and some not so happy ones. This would be calculated decision, which can only be taken at a personal level. Yes, there is little to doubt that Maruti owners as a percentage are perhaps happier with Maruti A.S.S. and reliability compared to Tata owners with Tata A.S.S. and reliability. Though only a few companies can compete with Maruti in this respect.

Between the Ignis and the Tiago, I would go for the Ignis due to its K12 engine but Tata has a crucial advantage in terms of its 4 star safety rating.

If the budget can't be stretched the mid variants of these cars, then neutrally speaking I would suggest the WagonR VXi K12 which has similar advantages as the Ignis. But as an enthusiast, I would never go for a car without a tachometer and rather get myself a base Grand i10 or even the Tiago XE for that matter.

Last edited by AYP : 22nd August 2020 at 01:40.

Most Viewed