Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Baleno vs Glanza.
Baleno 125 31.02%
Glanza 278 68.98%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th June 2019, 12:44   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Can we add a third option - NOTA.
1 - This is still a 'Baleno' inside and out. The safety aspect is something that I used to look up to Toyota for, this doesn't satisfy that key point.
2 - Most Marutis tend to start rattling later in their life, an aspect that I have experienced with a Baleno owned by a friend as well. This is a very 'un-toyota' thing to happen
3 - If I still had to choose - it would probably be a Nexa, with a heavy discount which I would use to buy extended warranty. If not possible then a toy-yoda dealer it is.
1 - Absolutely right. While on the topic of dicussion on safety, the Etios which I believe is what the Glanza replaces has 3 pointed seat belts for every passenger but the Glanza doesn't (obvious as it is just a rebadged Baleno). That lap belt in the middle seat just looks horrible. This makes the Glanza the only Toyota in its current portfolio that doesn't have 3 pointed seat belts for every passenger. Not a good move Toyota.
2 - Agree here as well and the irony is in the fact that the original baleno of the 2000s (the sleek sedan) is the only car which actually felt solidly put together in the Maruti Suzuki stable.
3 - Good point. Although for people who wish to get a slice of the venerable "T" badge for Maruti money, it still sounds like a good deal (economically).

I would also go with NOTA.
aveoman19 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 08:12   #62

I was surprised to see people vote for Glanza by such a huge margin. I expected Baleno to win or at least it to be a close call.
Being a Baleno owner (first batch), I love my car and I prefer it over any re-badged version any day.

I know Glanza is priced well, has the Toyota badge and very warranty. But I've never experienced any unreliability with the original product i.e. the Baleno.

I like Toyota as a brand, Toyota 86 is one of my favourite cars. Oh how I wish they sold it here.

I know they're private companies and they are free to do anything they want when it comes to products but Toyota's laziness really disappoints me, they can truly give amazing and reliable products to us but they choose to cop out like this.

IMHO MS Baleno is reliable enough and I don't feel the re-badging and better warranty is enough to make it even count as a separate product.

The consumers lost in this case I believe.
Himanshu809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 15:13   #63
BHPian

Glanza is just a rebadged Baleno, so having the T logo doesn't make it a superior car. Baleno has proved its mettle and is India’s highest selling premium hatchback, crossing over 6 lakh units in just 44 months. So choosing Baleno (over Glanza) is a no-brainer. Moreover, Maruti has been proactively and voluntarily recalling and addressing (be it silent recalls) any manufacturing defects under warranty. Not sure how Toyota deals with these, if any. I'm sure the tide is not against Baleno, but it's against Maruti.

Last edited by kskthere : 16th June 2019 at 15:27.
kskthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 15:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Observation: 65% of the answers in this thread have the word "service" in them.
I am wondering if the word is meant for the regular services or the additonal ones. From my experience of driving cars for last 25 years, I have a belief that the modern cars don't really bother you with extra service requirements if you are not skipping the regular services. Ofcourse the car will start having issues once it is much old or has run very long, lets say after 5~10 years of ownership depending on the driving.
And it wouldn't really make much difference to me whether the service centre is 500 metres away or 5 kms away, for a requirement which will come up only after a considerable period of time. Specifically while comparing between Toyota and Maruti.
There will be exceptions, but then they are exceptions.
Dhruba_Nazira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 22:31   #65
BHPian

The service interval for glanza is same as Baleno. I visited MGF Toyota and confirmed that the service intervals are identical - 10k or 1 year. Toyota is also offering similar discounts as well- 15k exchange bonus and 5k corporate discount. So the OTR price is similar from both manufacturers. In my case, maruti true value is offering a superior price for my Ritz vis a vis to what Toyota is offering. So this might tilt it in Maruti's favour at least in my case. I am scouting for petrol automatic and have almost reluctantly zeroed on top end automatic Baleno. Let's see how it goes.
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2019, 19:46   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Suzuki's re-badged effort of Baleno seems to be successful.

- Seen many Glanza's on road
- Have Toyota fans preferring the hatch
- Baleno+ Glanza combined June sales = 13689+1830 = 15519

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  67.1 KB
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2019, 21:18   #67
BHPian

2 weeks back when we had gone to book the Innova we eyed the Glanza. Due to time constraints could not accept the offer of a test drive. But speaking to the SA I felt that Toyota is putting a lot of push in selling Glanza, so much so that the SA told us that we could even evaluate buying 2 Glanza for me and my wife rather than buying 1 Innova. It did come as a surprise but then I told them about just a relabelling of Maruti products to Toyota will not change the perception. To that he said that there are differences to note and the most significant being that it's not just by sales and marketing tactics that Toyota is offering longer warranty, it because this same engine in Glanza is made at the Suzuki plant and not in Maruti plant. Also quoting him by word, in order extend the warranty, there has been "inputs" applied from Toyota engineering to the Glanza production starting from the engine. So it's not altogether the same product as per them.

However since Toyota Glanza is BS6 ready, I am not sure if the power / torque delivery has been compromised. Some YouTube comparisons claim to show the sluggish performance of Glanza as compared to Baleno.

Additionally I am not a fan of the heartect platform.

Indeed I cannot deny the service network of Maruti and compare Maruti service cost with the higher service cost of Toyota. So the favour is still on Maruti side unless the market feedback says a different story.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 07:24   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
--
- Baleno+ Glanza combined June sales = 13689+1830 = 15519

--[/ATTACH]
Corrected data:

Maruti Baleno +Toyota Glanza : 15608

Maruti Baleno still the leader in the premium segment and Toyota Glanza becomes the 3rd in this segment for June sales.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  32.9 KB

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2019 at 07:29.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote