Team-BHP - Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/209952-maruti-baleno-vs-toyota-glanza-would-you-buy-7.html)

I recently had to pass on my 2018 Jazz CVT to an employee, as his 12 year old Zen Estillo gave up and is beyond reasonable repairs.
After reading up for a few days, the choice is between Baleno and Glanza for their top end CVT versions. I am more inclined towards the Glanza as the Toyota service centre is 1 lane beyond my office and as someone mentioned above, too many Balenos are on road to choke up the service efficiency. The Ex showroom price for both seem to be similar and it seems the warranty ( with extension) is better on the Glanza.
I have yet to check price offers on the Glanza, however wanted an opinion if I should wait for the New Jazz too :D. I already have 2 more Honda CVT's and kind of averse to the New Jazz ( more so after using a Jazz), but if it is going to be better than the Glanza ( technically and feature set wise), I have no hang-ups against Honda.

Hi, will Toyota make an issue with warranty as you've put after market dampers? This looks like a must fitted stuff for our Indian roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4701130)
JupITune Suspension Dampers.
Wow!
Coupled with the Yoko Earth 1 -205/55/16 tyres which we fitted immediately after taking delivery on Dad's Glanza V AT there is no more fear of the evil Bangalore speedbreakers and potholes and craters!
Fitted at Tyre Empire HSR - Rs 7800/-

Attachment 1939378
Attachment 1939379
Attachment 1939380
Attachment 1939381
Attachment 1939382
Attachment 1939383Attachment 1939384

I would go with Baleno, simply because you never know how long this JV will last. If it loses steam in 2-3 years and stops, the car's resale would fall and servicing will be an issue.

Also Toyota badging doesn't make it a Toyota product, so it's not that the car will last longer than a Baleno.

Voted for Glanza. If I were in the market for a hatch, I would choose neither. If I am forced to pick between the two I would go with Glanza due to slightly lesser price, better warranty and customer friendly service centres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4701130)

:OT
Why does your car seem to have an unusually large panel gaps around the doors? Is it like this in all Glanzas? I haven't seen this any baleno.

Hello people, I am looking to buy a new car and I've shortlisted the Glanza, Baleno and the new Jazz (although I'm yet to get a TD, which i will get soon). I currently own a 2013 Swift and I'm not the happiest with Maruti service. I have test driven both the baleno and the glanza, the CVT variants (I want an automatic) but i am very confused between the two. Any help in choosing between the baleno and glanza will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rijulkhandare (Post 4878932)
I currently own a 2013 Swift and I'm not the happiest with Maruti service.

You've answered your own question. Choose the Glanza eyes shut.

Personally, I'd buy the Jazz or a used Elite i20 1.4 AT.

I will buy from Maruti Suzuki.

Why buy a Maruti car from Toyota? It's Maruti, I will buy from Maruti. For me, as a customer, Toyota isn't adding any value for me by rebadging and reselling it to me.

I have been using their cars since decades and I am satisfied with the cars and the service(ability). Even if Toyota offers the car for few thousand rupees less, I will buy from Maruti. So much satisfied, I am with them.

Warranty? Chances are very very dim that I will need to enforce it. And if (at all), a manufacturing defect is present, I expect it to surface in 2 years of my use (around 30000 km).

If I like a Toyota product, I will surely buy it. And from Toyota.

Quote:

I am looking to buy a new car and I've shortlisted the Glanza, Baleno and the new Jazz (although I'm yet to get a TD, which i will get soon).

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4878938)
Personally, I'd buy the Jazz or a used Elite i20 1.4 AT.

Have you physically sat in the BS6 Jazz & compared it to your other choices? If not, I think it’s prudent to wait for the test drive of the Jazz & then decide.

You may want to browse through this thread too https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...7-5-lakhs.html

Good luck with your search.

Quote:

Hello people, I am looking to buy a new car and I've shortlisted the Glanza, Baleno and the new Jazz (although I'm yet to get a TD, which i will get soon). I currently own a 2013 Swift and I'm not the happiest with Maruti service. I have test driven both the baleno and the glanza, the CVT variants (I want an automatic) but i am very confused between the two.

Why not wait for the new i20. It will be offered in the iMT variant as well. That would be a worthy competitor in your list.

I see that if you are around a budget of 9-10 lacs, there are quite a lot of C-SUV's there in the market. Why not consider them too? :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat (Post 4878949)
I will buy from Maruti Suzuki.

For me, as a customer, Toyota isn't adding any value by rebadging and reselling it to me.

Hardly any Glanza could be seen on the road. I spotted only one so far, in February, at Mahabaleshwar.

Looking at sales figures, 2710 Glaza were sold against 16585 Baleno in February 2020.

Consider the poll results on this thread vs the actual purchases by the people. This looks like a case of a political leader who gets a large turnout for his rallies, who is always in the news, but hardly gets any seats in the Assembly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze (Post 4878962)
Have you physically sat in the BS6 Jazz & compared it to your other choices? If not, I think it’s prudent to wait for the test drive of the Jazz & then decide.

You may want to browse through this thread too https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...7-5-lakhs.html

Good luck with your search.

I havent test driven the Jazz yet, but i will over the weekend, just waiting on that. I was just looking for advise and perspectives from fellow BHPians because I've only ever owned a maruti, so I want to know more about other manufacturers, in this case, Toyota and Honda. Thanks a ton:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rijulkhandare (Post 4879581)
I was just looking for advise and perspectives from fellow BHPians because I've only ever owned a maruti, so I want to know more about other manufacturers, in this case, Toyota and Honda.

The Glanza (Urban Cruiser too) isn’t engineered nor built by Toyota, it’s a rebadged Maruti for all intents & purposes. So don’t expect Toyota levels of reliability. There’s already a long discussion in other threads about how Toyota is diluting it’s brand value by selling rebadged inferior products compared to their own in-house & internationally developed products.

Don’t expect the Glanza to last as long or even as trouble free as the Yaris.

As landcruiser123 suggested earlier, the pick of the segment is the Jazz hands down if you want a reliable & fuss free ownership. Consider the Yaris too, if you’re willing to consider sedans.

Have a look at this link below for the expected fixed service costs (excluding wear & tear parts) of the Jazz.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...tofmaintenance

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefpk (Post 4878985)
Why not wait for the new i20. It will be offered in the iMT variant as well. That would be a worthy competitor in your list.

I see that if you are around a budget of 9-10 lacs, there are quite a lot of C-SUV's there in the market. Why not consider them too? :Shockked:

I've seen the pictures of the upcoming i20, and honestly i prefer the looks of the current i20. As for the c-SUVs, I have serious parking constraints where the breadth of the car matters. Further more SUV and compact, although one of the favourite segments in our counrty, is not something I'm very keen on, hence the decision to stick to premium hatchbacks

I picked up a Baleno Alpha CVT in December 2019. I had a choice between Baleno or Glanza. I got a finger licking discount on Baleno compared to Glanza. I wanted a Glanza due to high service standard offered by Toyota, and I asked Toyota to offer me the deal Nexa was offering but they didn't.

But after getting 2 car services done at Nexa, I was absolutely in praise with what Nexa offered.

Another reason I picked the Baleno was the widespread network of Maruti / Nexa service centers. I love going for road trips every couple of months. Maruti has service centers at every nook and corner in India.

I have booked and taken delivery of a Glanza G in December. Primary reason to go for the Glanza and not the Baleno was the Baleno Zeta being 30k dearer than the Glanza G. Other reasons were:
Considering these points, I can't really understand why the Glanza does not sell more. I did wonder about these questions. Is it because customers are not aware of the price difference (I think 30k is significant) or is it just because the reach of Nexa is better than Toyota? While, it didn't matter to me, wouldn't Toyota also be the more aspirational brand for a lot of folks?

For me, it was also convenient that the Toyota showroom and service centre was just a 5 minute walk from home :)

However, inspite of the above points, my concern about the Glanza is whether Toyota will continue to sell the Glanza as long as Maruti sells the Baleno. Also, in comparison with 18k Balenos being sold a month, are 2k Glanzas good enough for Toyota and Maruti to continue this deal.

A point to add is that I was pleasantly surprised by free roadside assistance for 3 years from Toyota. Is this also provided by Maruti/Nexa and other manufacturers now?