View Poll Results: Baleno vs Glanza.
Baleno 180 31.03%
Glanza 400 68.97%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2019, 17:21   #1
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Most of us know that the Global Giant Toyota has launched the all new hatchback- Glanza. Yes, it has finally hatched.

The link to the thread where Bhpians have discussed about the Glanza-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4600248

Is the Glanza basically a rebadged Maruti Baleno with a Toyota logo and a slightly higher price? Not really. Well, most of were expecting it to be like that, however, Toyota has really surprised us by-

1. Pricing the G MT dualjet variant at a very competitive price. It offers the equipment level similar to that of the Baleno Zeta dualjet variant, but is priced only slightly more than the regular Baleno Delta dualjet variant.

2. Keeping the price of the other variants cheaper than the Baleno. Yes, can you believe that a Toyota costs less than a Maruti in the same segment? By a full 12 Rs. at that.

3. A better standard warranty of 3 years/1,00,000 km warranty vs the Baleno's 2 years/40,000 km.

4. Some may not agree, but if you can get a better badge for your ride, then why not just get it? Especially if the better brand is being offered at the same price. And this is in addition to the previous 3 points which have been mentioned.

Due to the above points, it has become very clear for me that the Glanza is indeed the superior choice of the 2. I'd say many urban commuters would agree with me. The Baleno's main USP against the Glanza would be Maruti's service network(more relevant for small towns and rural areas) and of course, the availability of the lower Sigma and Delta(non-dualjet) variants.

Sometime ago, before all the Glanza and Toyota bashing started(some justified while some aren't IMO), I had shared my opinion on the Baleno vs Glanza assuming that the Glanza would be priced higher-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Completely agree with what most people are saying. The Maruti Corolla should be a bigger success(relatively speaking) than the Toyota Baleno due to the sheer value which it will most probably offer to the buyer. However, if Toyota can price their Baleno at about 20-30k higher than the Maruti Baleno, then it should do good numbers as well. Better than the Jazz IMO. By paying a slight premium over the Maruti Baleno, you can go from saying that you drive a 'Maruti' to saying that you drive a 'Toyota'. This might sway some buyers towards this car. To be very frank, even I would gladly pay this difference and have a Toyota badge on my grill and on my keyfob.

Any higher than 20-30k and/or any omission of features already present in the Maruti Baleno and they are doomed for poor to average sales.
Toyota has further strengthened the case for itself by pricing the Glanza sensibly.

I would rather have the Toyota badge on my car and Toyota key-fob in my pocket.

What would you choose?

Last edited by ajmat : 7th June 2019 at 14:46. Reason: Adding link straight to pricing :). Thanks for sharing!
AYP is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 17:32   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Looking at the pricing, and proximity of both service centres ( both within 3 km ), I would go for the Toyota.

If Toyota can't solve the issue, I can always de badge and take it to Maruti!
avdhesh15 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 22:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

For me it would be the Baleno. If a person's time was strictly spent in large cities, then a Toyota works. Once you move out of the metro's to the smaller cities and rural areas, a Maruti is always a better option. Service centres exist, unlike the smaller brands in India (sales percentage wise). Only Maruti, and to some extent Hyundai, are cars that you can drive anywhere in the country and get serviced
pganapathy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 22:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'll buy a Toyota over a Maruti anyday, given everything else is same.
Eddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 22:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Looking at the pricing, and proximity of both service centres ( both within 3 km ), I would go for the Toyota.

If Toyota can't solve the issue, I can always de badge and take it to Maruti!
ROFLMAO!

What an idea. All you need is the front grille and you are good to go.

I would go with the one which gives me a better deal. Service wise, I doubt if there is much difference between the two brands. And a lot of the things associated with the T badge do not apply to the Glanza. For instance most Marutis start rattling at some point or the other. Just because this car supports a different Logo, the rattles won't stop.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 23:02   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You'll need a new driver's side airbag too & rear hatch lid logo.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 23:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
ROFLMAO!

I would go with the one which gives me a better deal. Service wise, I doubt if there is much difference between the two brands. And a lot of the things associated with the T badge do not apply to the Glanza. For instance most Marutis start rattling at some point or the other. Just because this car supports a different Logo, the rattles won't stop.
But, to be serious, wouldn’t taking the car to Nexa or Maruti Suzuki garages require a Maruti Suzuki VIN? Of course, you can go with third party garages linked with Maruti Suzuki but doubt you will be able to service the car in Nexa/Maruti Suzuki garages.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 03:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'd personally buy the Glanza to get a better overall ownership experience. This is not a deal breaker or deal maker.

Given equally good access to service centers of both brands, I think the average joe will just decide based on waiting periods/discounts.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 08:30   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by how well Toyota has priced the Glanza. Am sure Maruti didn't expect this and any future product-sharing might see Maruti charge a higher price to Toyota, or insist on Toyota keeping more of a price gap at the retail level. Remember, Maruti makes more money in selling to the direct customer, not in the B2B transaction with Toyota.

Being how things are, I'd go for the Glanza for Toyota's after-sales, longer warranty etc. and the fact that it's a "new" brand. The Baleno has been around for years now. However, it won't be that simple for everyone as the Baleno will have discounts that the Glanza still doesn't, and outside of the big cities, Maruti's service network is untouchable.

That said, just because of the VFM pricing, I'm not letting Toyota get away with it. They could have done a LOT more with the car than just a lame badge swap & kit tweaking.

Tough times for Nexa salesmen. It's like their mother took their dinner plate away just when they were starving. Last thing that Nexa needed in such a challenging market scenario. The Baleno product team must be furious!!!

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2019 at 11:30.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 08:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Tough times for Nexa salesmen. --
Baleno would still be attractive in pricing as discounts for June starts,

Quote:
these discounts should help the premium hatchback maintain its position on the monthly sales charts.

Quote:
In a bid to clear stocks of the older BS4 Balenos, buyers can now avail benefits worth Rs 40,000 on the premium hatchback; BS6 versions (specifically, the 83hp, 1.2-litre engine and not the 90hp, 1.2-litre mild-hybrid) have a lower Rs 25,000 discount. Interestingly, there are also benefits worth 25,000 that can be availed on the pre-facelift and current Baleno RS, which are powered by the 102hp, 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine. Maruti dealers are also offering up to Rs 25,000 off on the pre-facelift and the current Baleno diesel, which come with the ubiquitous 1.3-litre diesel engine in a lower 75hp state of tune
Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 08:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for the Glanza as Toyota is giving a better warranty coverage and in-case of any emergency service issue one can all ways go to a Maruti service center.
I am sure that Maruti will be dropping Baleno's price before the festive season as Glanza & Venue will eat into its pie.
Old 7th June 2019, 09:08   #12
BHPian

Going against the tide, I have voted for the Baleno. I believe that the Maruti service centres will have better spare parts availability as Baleno shares most of the parts with Swift, DZire, Ignis etc. They also have years of experience in servicing the car. Eagerly waiting for a Team-BHP review of the Dualjet engine to find out if the extra BHP's are worth hundred thousand bucks!

Costwise, I hope that I will manage to get those 12 rupees as discount from Nexa
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 09:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno, Brezza & Ciaz - Thats it rebadge them (Glanza, RAV4, Corolla) and sell it for a while , build volumes and you can completely buy suzuki out. Quite clear by now that Toyota is a more preferred brand as long as the product is a Maruti.

Jeep and Landrover should take Brezza and rebadge them as well, they seem popular that way anyways!

If you cant beat them( with your half hearted attempts) , join them. Nice strategy Toyota!
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 10:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

The poll should have a neither or none of the above option also.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 10:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, all things being equal, I'd pick the brand which has a better/convenient service centre near me. While in my area Toyota wins, I'm guessing if you take the bigger picture, Maruti wins in most areas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks