Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Baleno vs Glanza.
Baleno 180 31.03%
Glanza 400 68.97%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 20:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Can we add a third option - NOTA.
1 - This is still a 'Baleno' inside and out. The safety aspect is something that I used to look up to Toyota for, this doesn't satisfy that key point.
2 - Most Marutis tend to start rattling later in their life, an aspect that I have experienced with a Baleno owned by a friend as well. This is a very 'un-toyota' thing to happen
3 - If I still had to choose - it would probably be a Nexa, with a heavy discount which I would use to buy extended warranty. If not possible then a toy-yoda dealer it is.
torquecurve is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 21:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Glanza for me. Better warranty, cheaper service costs, uncrowded service centres and potentially better resale value are the Toyota advantages that I see.
Old 12th June 2019, 21:51   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
That statement needs correction IMHO. Toyota is a more preferred brand as long as PRICING is same as Maruti.

Slap just additional 50k variant by variant on Glaza, and see the tide of discussion turn. It will revert to what it was (preferring Maruti) before the pricing announcement.
Ha ha, well said.

Maruti is an adjective, it means Affordable, Fuel efficient, easy to maintain, Good looking, Value for money, nice to drive and reliable vehicles.

Before Glanza they did not have such a vehicle. Etios ticked some boxes but far from VFM or Good looking.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 22:12   #49
BHPian

With just the badge exchange, do we really need a official Glanza review? Even if we did, I guess we only see the pictures of badges.

We should have a poll actually. Do we need Official Glanza review (Yes/No)?
Old 12th June 2019, 22:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well it's Baleno for me. Changing logos won't make the car different. Here there is no heart vs head decision. Baleno as car is a perfect fit for Maruti (Suzuki) but not for Toyota. Even if more warranty or a 10000 price cut will not force me to a Toyota showroom. It's deeply etched within that it is a Maruti Suzuki after all.

But a side note. If I am in the market for a car with similar budget I will never look for Baleno or Glanza. From day one Baleno is not in my check list. It could be Aspire, Freestyle or even lower variant of a Nexon.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 23:45   #51
BHPian

Kerala is Toyota Land. Anything with a Toyota badge sells here. I am sure the monthly 2000 odd Glanzas can be sold in Kerala itself.

But there is another advantage for Toyota, they can increase the footfalls to their showrooms. The Glanza V CVT sells for 10.36Lakhs on road in Kerala. The Yaris J CVT with 6 airbags sells for 11.36Lakhs. There are discounts on the Yaris to the tune of around Rs.60000, reducing the actual price difference between the two cars to under 50000Rs.

For this money, you get a much bigger car, and most importantly 7 airbags, although you will lose on some features such as the Touchscreen and Alloys, all of which can be added later on.

I believe this move will resurrect Yaris to its true potential. The base J variants are good value for money.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 14:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Kerala is Toyota Land. Anything with a Toyota badge sells here. I am sure the monthly 2000 odd Glanzas can be sold in Kerala itself.

But there is another advantage for Toyota, they can increase the footfalls to their showrooms. The Glanza V CVT sells for 10.36Lakhs on road in Kerala. The Yaris J CVT with 6 airbags sells for 11.36Lakhs. There are discounts on the Yaris to the tune of around Rs.60000, reducing the actual price difference between the two cars to under 50000Rs.

For this money, you get a much bigger car, and most importantly 7 airbags, although you will lose on some features such as the Touchscreen and Alloys, all of which can be added later on.

I believe this move will resurrect Yaris to its true potential. The base J variants are good value for money.
I think you might have just cracked the real reason behind Toyota offering the glanza!! Baleno customer moves to Glanza because of the warranty, walks into a showroom, sales Guy does his job and pushes him to the slightly more expensive Yaris and voila ; Ka-ching! Yaris has been a bit of a dud, let’s see how this pans out
howler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 20:25   #53
BHPian

Voted for Baleno, just because of the re-labeling approach of Toyota. I know it is a little childish, but expected a more from a sturdy brand like Toyota.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 21:12   #54
BHPian

Voted for the Baleno.

Just because I change my clothes doesn't mean I'm a different person. At the end of the day this is just a Baleno.

+One of MSIL's biggest advantages is it's service network. You cannot just ignore that and I see it as a huge disadvantage to Glanza owners who are paying the same money but cannot reap the same benefit.

I can buy an extended warranty with discounts to match the Glanza but not setup an entire service network.
Knowall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 21:52   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...eered_vehicles

I was reading through that link, it sure mentions Glanza as well as Yaris(North America) among other vehicles Toyota uses through rebadging route.

I think BMW Z4 being used as Supra is missing or maybe I didn't notice it. Interesting to see that they have used Citroen vehicles as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th June 2019 at 07:37. Reason: Typo
Old 13th June 2019, 23:31   #56
BHPian

Sorry for being spoilsport here, but all this while we have been bashing Toyota for re-badging a car and probably not listening to Indian markets and selling age old products with little or no innovation. And suddenly when they start selling a successful product with relatively less price everyone has all ears for Toyota. Isn't that an irony ?

If this turns out to be successfull, which I am sensing would be, a big question to us is What do we get ? I mean we are making a L-A-Z-Y company more L-A-Z-Y. This opens avenue for them to dump relatively sub-standard products than what they manufacture and taste success with it. Easy Money, No competition and may be after years we still try to figure what went wrong with Indian Customers mindset.

I know even if we don't promote here but average Indian public will still buy, but we speak unbiased language. So I want better product from Toyota's stable ! They need to wake from there slumber !
peus017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 09:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

I.m not in the market for a hatch, and may probably never be. I'm considering other re-badged products that will come from these two, not just Baleno and Glanza, and so i voted for Glanza. In the past I have owned both Maruti and Toyota, and Toyota service is far better, add to that better warranty and same pricing, Toyota wins.
Lastly Baleno is also not a Maruti manufactured vehicle , but both Toyota and Maruti buy the cars from the Suzuki plant in Gujarat. This is a pure Suzuki plant and not a Maruti Suzuki one.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 23:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I’m mistaken but my observation tells me Glanza has a distinction from the rear LED light setup vs the 2019 Baleno. Toyota has a distinct LED brake setup vs Baleno having a plain LED brake setup at the rear. Baleno top end earlier had a L shape LED running throughout but the current model has omitted and has implemented a plain LED bulb setup. If you guys have noticed it, Toyota has kept it that way to distinguish the car at night from rear apart from their badge! Correct me if I’m mistaken that’s what I’ve observed.

PS:
Whilst the discussion of Baleno vs Glanza is being done here, masses have decided the demand for Glanza G MT variant is on demand as per latest Autocar report. Looks like Toyota have planned it well to lure customers in with just over 1 month waiting period.

Last edited by gururajrv : 14th June 2019 at 23:38.
Old 15th June 2019, 07:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Glanza indeed! Better value, not just a more acceptable badge!

Toyota has learnt its mistakes from its pricing blunders! I think the 2020 Yaris will see a significant price cut (1.5L?) and maybe loose a few goodies (mostly airbags) as well. This car deserves to sell atleast 5000 copies in our market.
Old 15th June 2019, 08:00   #60
BHPian

It is the Glanza for me. I wouldn't buy either actually, but if I had to, it'd be the one with the T badge. As far as I'm concerned, servicing is just as easy with the glanza as with the Baleno. Both showroom/service centres are about 100-200 metres apart from each other.

Most Viewed