Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Baleno vs Glanza.
Baleno 180 31.03%
Glanza 400 68.97%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2019, 12:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Can we add a third option - NOTA.
1 - This is still a 'Baleno' inside and out. The safety aspect is something that I used to look up to Toyota for, this doesn't satisfy that key point.
2 - Most Marutis tend to start rattling later in their life, an aspect that I have experienced with a Baleno owned by a friend as well. This is a very 'un-toyota' thing to happen
3 - If I still had to choose - it would probably be a Nexa, with a heavy discount which I would use to buy extended warranty. If not possible then a toy-yoda dealer it is.
1 - Absolutely right. While on the topic of dicussion on safety, the Etios which I believe is what the Glanza replaces has 3 pointed seat belts for every passenger but the Glanza doesn't (obvious as it is just a rebadged Baleno). That lap belt in the middle seat just looks horrible. This makes the Glanza the only Toyota in its current portfolio that doesn't have 3 pointed seat belts for every passenger. Not a good move Toyota.
2 - Agree here as well and the irony is in the fact that the original baleno of the 2000s (the sleek sedan) is the only car which actually felt solidly put together in the Maruti Suzuki stable.
3 - Good point. Although for people who wish to get a slice of the venerable "T" badge for Maruti money, it still sounds like a good deal (economically).

I would also go with NOTA.
aveoman19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 08:12   #62
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was surprised to see people vote for Glanza by such a huge margin. I expected Baleno to win or at least it to be a close call.
Being a Baleno owner (first batch), I love my car and I prefer it over any re-badged version any day.

I know Glanza is priced well, has the Toyota badge and very warranty. But I've never experienced any unreliability with the original product i.e. the Baleno.

I like Toyota as a brand, Toyota 86 is one of my favourite cars. Oh how I wish they sold it here.

I know they're private companies and they are free to do anything they want when it comes to products but Toyota's laziness really disappoints me, they can truly give amazing and reliable products to us but they choose to cop out like this.

IMHO MS Baleno is reliable enough and I don't feel the re-badging and better warranty is enough to make it even count as a separate product.

The consumers lost in this case I believe.
Old 16th June 2019, 15:13   #63
BHPian

Glanza is just a rebadged Baleno, so having the T logo doesn't make it a superior car. Baleno has proved its mettle and is India’s highest selling premium hatchback, crossing over 6 lakh units in just 44 months. So choosing Baleno (over Glanza) is a no-brainer. Moreover, Maruti has been proactively and voluntarily recalling and addressing (be it silent recalls) any manufacturing defects under warranty. Not sure how Toyota deals with these, if any. I'm sure the tide is not against Baleno, but it's against Maruti.

Last edited by kskthere : 16th June 2019 at 15:27.
Old 16th June 2019, 15:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Observation: 65% of the answers in this thread have the word "service" in them.
I am wondering if the word is meant for the regular services or the additonal ones. From my experience of driving cars for last 25 years, I have a belief that the modern cars don't really bother you with extra service requirements if you are not skipping the regular services. Ofcourse the car will start having issues once it is much old or has run very long, lets say after 5~10 years of ownership depending on the driving.
And it wouldn't really make much difference to me whether the service centre is 500 metres away or 5 kms away, for a requirement which will come up only after a considerable period of time. Specifically while comparing between Toyota and Maruti.
There will be exceptions, but then they are exceptions.
Old 17th June 2019, 22:31   #65
BHPian

The service interval for glanza is same as Baleno. I visited MGF Toyota and confirmed that the service intervals are identical - 10k or 1 year. Toyota is also offering similar discounts as well- 15k exchange bonus and 5k corporate discount. So the OTR price is similar from both manufacturers. In my case, maruti true value is offering a superior price for my Ritz vis a vis to what Toyota is offering. So this might tilt it in Maruti's favour at least in my case. I am scouting for petrol automatic and have almost reluctantly zeroed on top end automatic Baleno. Let's see how it goes.
Old 7th July 2019, 19:46   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Suzuki's re-badged effort of Baleno seems to be successful.

- Seen many Glanza's on road
- Have Toyota fans preferring the hatch
- Baleno+ Glanza combined June sales = 13689+1830 = 15519

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-capture.jpg
Old 7th July 2019, 21:18   #67
BHPian

2 weeks back when we had gone to book the Innova we eyed the Glanza. Due to time constraints could not accept the offer of a test drive. But speaking to the SA I felt that Toyota is putting a lot of push in selling Glanza, so much so that the SA told us that we could even evaluate buying 2 Glanza for me and my wife rather than buying 1 Innova. It did come as a surprise but then I told them about just a relabelling of Maruti products to Toyota will not change the perception. To that he said that there are differences to note and the most significant being that it's not just by sales and marketing tactics that Toyota is offering longer warranty, it because this same engine in Glanza is made at the Suzuki plant and not in Maruti plant. Also quoting him by word, in order extend the warranty, there has been "inputs" applied from Toyota engineering to the Glanza production starting from the engine. So it's not altogether the same product as per them.

However since Toyota Glanza is BS6 ready, I am not sure if the power / torque delivery has been compromised. Some YouTube comparisons claim to show the sluggish performance of Glanza as compared to Baleno.

Additionally I am not a fan of the heartect platform.

Indeed I cannot deny the service network of Maruti and compare Maruti service cost with the higher service cost of Toyota. So the favour is still on Maruti side unless the market feedback says a different story.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 07:24   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
--
- Baleno+ Glanza combined June sales = 13689+1830 = 15519

--[/ATTACH]
Corrected data:

Maruti Baleno +Toyota Glanza : 15608

Maruti Baleno still the leader in the premium segment and Toyota Glanza becomes the 3rd in this segment for June sales.

Maruti Baleno vs Toyota Glanza - Which would you buy?-capture.jpg

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2019 at 07:29.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 19:43   #69
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is notwithstanding all the talk about this badge engineering and so on. It was mid-June 2019 almost exactly a month ago give or take a day or two. Since Feb 2019, my parents were thinking of saying bye bye to their 5.5 year old Hyundai I 20 Asta Manual Transmission which had 25K kms on the clock. We had bought this brand new in 2014.

It was coming up to their 50th Wedding Anniv and I wanted to buy them a gift they would enjoy on a daily basis. Dad (in his mid 70's) as the main driver of the car, wanted a nice spacious and well engineered premium, nice looking, modern, petrol driven biggish hatchback car which sat well on the road, gave him and Mum good comfort, good safety features, a high seating position and most importantly an AT tranny. His other ask was easy maintenance and servicing along with painless reliability.

This is their single vehicle for daily use in the city and every few months on the highways between Madras and Bangalore. Dad tested all sorts of cars including the Polo Petrol GT AT and Hyundai Venue Petrol DCT 1 litre Turbo AT and so on. The Polo was too low slung for them though he loved its DSG. The Venue was nice they said but it was too expensive and Hyundai has again compromised on features between the MT and AT versions. I mean how stupid can Hyundai be- the AT version is given a full bench rear seat without 60:40 split folding but the MT gets this simple feature! Plus of course as all manufacturers are wont to do we never ever get the 6-7 airbags in an AT in India. He also tested the Maruti Baleno CVT. But they offer a very limited warranty.

The Toyota Glanza CVT top spec V-AT was launched at this time and there were some few cars available in Madras. Both Mum and Dad test drove it around and liked it a lot. It suited them perfectly they said. The car they finally chose came in that lovely luminescent pearly white shade and they vastly preferred the blue interior trim and accents much more than the faux wood which looks rather yellowish and fake as in all Toyotas.

I went to see them and wish them for their 50th Anniversary in June, called the dealer, told him to send his chap over to my parents home, simply swiped my credit card towards payment and the car was delivered to my parents in 3 days flat including all the registration, insurance and other stuff. It must be one of the first few Glanzas in Madras. The 5.5 year old I 20 with 25000 kms on the clock was dropped off at T S Mahalingam in Madras (the owner is a very old friend) and we got a fantastic price for it too on account of its extremely well kept and sparingly used condition.

The Glanza V-AT cost us 10.7 ish lacs on the road and having test driven it on a short 'chukka' around the city, I do honestly pronounce it a good and sensible car indeed, given the specific use-cases in mind. One of the good clinchers in the Glanza vs the Baleno is the longer and much more useful manufacturer warranty period.

The dealer was a nice chap, he gave Dad a number of accessories and mats and car cover and all that FOC. The only change we made in the car is that just after it arrived, Dad went straight to BM Lal in Madras (another old friend) and the stock Apollo Tyres of 195/55/16 were immediately changed over to 205/55/16 Yokohama Earth 1 tyres. He got a nice fair price for the stock Apollos and paid the difference for the Yokos. Better rubber and better grip and handling plus these Yokos do definitely fill the wheel arches much better.

So the bottom line according to me is that this Toyota Glanza is a car that makes a lot of people happy so it cant really be all bad !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st July 2019 at 20:47. Reason: Combining sentences into paragraphs for better readability.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 11:23   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Corrected data:

Maruti Baleno +Toyota Glanza : 15608

Maruti Baleno still the leader in the premium segment and Toyota Glanza becomes the 3rd in this segment for June sales.

Attachment 1891507

Source:Auto Punditz

Does Kia have an hatch in this segment? If yes, then we will see a tag team match of Toyota + Maruti vs Hyundai + Kia in a few years.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:45   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Glanza sees 1796 dispatches from SMC in July.

Source: Maruti Suzuki press release
Old 1st August 2019, 12:09   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dad (in his mid 70's) as the main driver of the car...
Fantastic to hear that they are still driving at their age! Wishing them several more years of happy kilometers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They could have done a LOT more with the car than just a lame badge swap & kit tweaking.
I'm unable to understand why any manufacturer would do something like this? Why would Maruti hand over a good seller to a rival brand? What do they gain?

Last edited by am1m : 1st August 2019 at 12:10.
Old 1st August 2019, 12:29   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'm unable to understand why any manufacturer would do something like this? Why would Maruti hand over a good seller to a rival brand? What do they gain?
You'll find more here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4378734 (Toyota & Suzuki to supply cars to each other in India)
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:38   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Fantastic to hear that they are still driving at their age! Wishing them several more years of happy kilometers!
?

Yes indeed. Im happy that they are happy buzzing around here and there in their nice new car.
My Dad doesnt like using the services of paid drivers because they just dont treat the vehicle well enough. He has always preferred self drive.

I might perhaps have inherited this trait because I also dont like my car (s) being driven by anyone other than myself.
Old 10th August 2019, 11:38   #75
BHPian

Are the baleno and glanza manufactured at the same plant? Most of the baleno owners have grouses with dashboard and door panels rattling, tailgate misalignment and suspension and steering noises. Are these issues sorted out in the glanza?
A toyota salesperson told me yes, the glanza has marginally better quality than the baleno as toyota''s quality checks and manufacturing process is more stringent and better.
If indeed the glanza has overcome these niggling issues of the baleno then my vote goes to the glanza even if its priced at a premium over the baleno.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks