Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 14:33   #16
VVN
BHPian

re: Which AT? Amaze vs Jazz vs Micra vs pre-owned ones. EDIT: Booked Jazz VX CVT

The Amaze is newer but Jazz just looks and feels more premium. I myself had walked into a Honda showroom with the intention of purchasing the Jazz but ended up buying the City instead. I would recommend the Jazz CVT. Super smooth, refined and easy to drive with oodles of space. Hondas tend to be reliable and the service shouldn't be an issue. An AMT at this price point won't make sense and I am not too sure about DCTs reliability so wouldn't comment on the Venue.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 20:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which AT? Amaze vs Jazz vs Micra vs pre-owned ones. EDIT: Booked Jazz VX CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a hatchback/ Compact sedan of my wife. (She is new to driving)
bravo82in, I think you cant go wrong between the Amaze and the Jazz. On the Jazz review thread, TBHPian Vishfull mentioned that he got a Rs 45,000 discount on his Jazz recently. So the Jazz might end up being cheaper on the road as compared to the Amaze.

However, do check on the service intervals for the two. I think the Jazz has a 6 month service interval while the Amaze comes with a 12 month service interval for the same engine. In that case, you will end up paying more for service with the Jazz though the cash discounts will nullify this.

A few years ago, I bought the Jazz CVT with a similar plan as my wife wanted to drive to work. The car is almost at 28,000 kms and I will admit, its a perfect fill it, shut it, forget it Honda.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 00:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

My neighbour in India loves his Brio AT. If you're open to used cars, you should try looking out for one. You'll save a lot from your 8 lakh budget.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Baleno, Glanza, Jazz or Amaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, don't go for a used car. I have noticed that women generally have a thing against pre-owned
Tell me about it. Got an earful from mom while buying my first car in a different country.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd July 2019 at 01:02.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a hatchback/ Compact sedan of my wife. (She is new to driving)

My requirements are
Any specific reason for not having the Hyundai i10 Grand in the list? With the sales slowing down and the launch of new i10 Grand nearing, the current ones can be had with a good discount. We're replacing our FIL's 2005 Alto with the current i10 Grand, Delivery is scheduled for the first week of August. I would suggest checking for discounts at the Hyundai showrooms.

Update: Just read one of your reply about rejecting the i10 Grand based on the looks. However, please do check it out as the discounts might be tempting. :-)

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 22nd July 2019 at 10:47.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 17:43   #20
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs. Finally its Honda Jazz CVT VX Radiant Red. Will share details once I lay hands on the beauty

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2019 at 18:48. Reason: ones > once.
bravo82in is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 19:56   #21
BHPian

Re: Which AT? Amaze vs Jazz vs Micra vs pre-owned ones. EDIT: Booked Jazz VX CVT

Hi all. I am myself in the same dilemna. I have been shopping for a second car for daily use-a compact but premium city car with good build quality, decent features, good ride quality and small turning circle. (I have to take a killer U turn 2-3 times a day in heavy traffic).I want a hassle free ownership experience and plan to keep the car for at least 6-8 years.
I have test driven the venue, ecosport , polo gt tsi. I saw the baleno, i 20, I 10 , aspire too.None of them fit the bill perfectly.
I have finally narrowed it down to between the jazz cvt and amze cvt vx. The jazz sheet metal and door thud and interiors plastic feel a bit more premium than the amaze. But the amaze feels more peppier due to its lesser weight and more nimble in traffic due to better visibility with a very compact turning circle. My friends and family suggest the jazz for its more upmarket image and premium feel over the amaze, while I feel the amaze is more easier to drive in city traffic.
Old 5th August 2019, 22:35   #22
BANNED

Amaze leg space in rear is the size of a peanut when compared to a Jazz rear leg room - even with front seats pushed all way back.

Not sure of Amaze FE, but our Jazz gives about 7 kmpl in Kochi city - it has done 1250 km so far. It goes up, upto 12 - 13 km on highways.

Hope this will give you more reasons to chew on.

Do compare the wheel and tyre sizes too.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 5th August 2019 at 22:37.
Old 6th August 2019, 07:28   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
I have finally narrowed it down to between the jazz cvt and amze cvt vx. The jazz sheet metal and door thud and interiors plastic feel a bit more premium than the amaze. But the amaze feels more peppier due to its lesser weight and more nimble in traffic due to better visibility with a very compact turning circle. My friends and family suggest the jazz for its more upmarket image and premium feel over the amaze, while I feel the amaze is more easier to drive in city traffic.

The Amaze frankly is not that great. It is one of those built-for-India-dicky-mad-person cars. But the new one looks better than the older one for sure.
Its also almost as large in appearance as the earlier Dolphin nose City. Yet, this segment just does not appeal to me personally.

The Jazz however, IS a far more practical, versatile and value package. And it is relatively rarer and more premium for sure.

The only thing I dont like is the fact that the CVT AT cries a bit when pushed up a gradient while overtaking.

But it is a super City commuter for sure!

If I were you, I would buy a Jazz.
Old 6th August 2019, 09:10   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The only thing I dont like is the fact that the CVT AT cries a bit when pushed up a gradient while overtaking.
S mode and paddle shifts will reduce that irritant.
Old 6th August 2019, 09:36   #25
BHPian

Re: Which AT? Amaze vs Jazz vs Micra vs pre-owned ones. EDIT: Booked Jazz VX CVT

Seems new jazz is going to be launched next mid year in india. It might come with the sportier turbo petrol variant. And civic like interiors and features.
Old 6th August 2019, 18:13   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
S mode and paddle shifts will reduce that irritant.

S Mode is also there in my Dad's Glanza.
All that it does is to hold a lower gear for slightly longer. Yes it is a great car in many ways and cery easy to drive and use in the city etc but all said and done these Glanzas and Jazz's etc are not enthusiasts cars.
They are good quality pretty plush and comfy functional city commuters at best.
Old 6th August 2019, 20:10   #27
BHPian

No doubt jazz is a more premium and better built car than the amaze. I am going ahead and booking it. I think i can live with the slightly larger(1.2 feet) turning radius.
Old 8th September 2019, 18:14   #28
BHPian

I finally got the Jazz delivered. Here is the cost break up:-

1. CSD price including discounts: Rs 785018
2. Insurance Zero dep with 3 yrs 3rd party: Rs 24,630
3. Haryana Registration charges: Rs 78,222
4. Delhi Temp number charges: Rs 2500
5. High Security Regn plate: Rs 1500
6. Hypothecation endorsement charges for loan: Rs 1500
7. Extended warranty 5 years, 1 lac kms: Rs 11838

Total cost: Rs 905198

I will be back in Delhi next week to lay hands on the beauty. This is the first car i have bought without a TD, just on the recommendations of the BHPians. Cheers.
Old 9th September 2019, 09:37   #29
BHPian

The 2019 10L Automatic conundrum - Jazz CVT vs Amaze Petrol/Diesel CVT Baleno/Glanza CVT

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine wants to be upgrading from a Kwid Climber AMT to the next segment of cars. ( would not be exchanging but as he is quite happy with the Kwid, it would be doing duty for this parents at his hometown)
He is quite open to them being Diesel/ Petrol as long as they have decent mileage figures as it should be doing daily office commutes primarily with highway runs occasionally.

We did test drive the below cars:

Polo GT : Loved it. But space is indeed at a premium in the reat seat. Still not able to make out a decision because of space
OTR : 11.2

Ameo Diesel DSG: Though did not test drive it, salesperson is ready to offer it at the price of a petrol Polo GT
OTR: 11.1 (with Lakh discount from 12.1)

Grand i10 AMT: He just hated it. didnt feel like a huge upgrade over the Kwid in terms of power. Also he felt it to be lacking in build after driving the GT
OTR: 8.1 OTR

Elite i20 CVT: Didnt test drive it as Grand i10 petrol AMT offered quite a dull experience. With the heavier i20, it should be even more duller.

Baleno CVT: Seems like a typical Maruti. Nothing much wrong to point out but then doesnt excel at anyting particular as well. Has dynamics and ergonomics mostly sorted. Decent CVT but too much of rubber band effect. Never saw the engine below 3000 rpm.

Venue AT: Only 2 Auto variants. S and SX(O) . While SX(O) has everything, it is grossly over the budget of 10-11 OTR while S misses essential things like internally adjustable ORVMs.

Jazz CVT: Really liked the mature suspension and interiors though no bling bling factors. Felt the CVT is better tuned than the overly revving Baleno CVT. Paddle shifts were like a sweet additional add on.

Nexon AMT- Petrol : Driven right next to driving the Baleno. Very good in power and shifts . Manual mode works as well though mostly on upshift. downshift using manual is a hit or miss. Also, the driving seat position was as high as my Duster and looks really dominating on the road. Didnt expect this looking at it from the outside.
Friend did hear about having recurrent issues with someone's Nexon and having to visit ASC quite a number of times. Also the MID says 8kmpl which isnt very promising to be frank. Might be a one off case but then he didnt want to take chances and hence sadly did reject this.
(Diesel Auto is slightly above budget)

Swift/Brezza He is not really interested on the MS stable offerings due to his own personal reasons and exclusivity factors.

Ford Skipped on all the Ford's with none of our friend's/circle really endorsing the Auto offering from Fords.

Now, it looks like it is between the Baleno CVT , Jazz and Amaze twins .Polo is still being looked at apprehensively with its unusually high 11 point something price vs the back seat space.

Amaze is yet to be test driven with the Diesel CVT not currently available at the nearest showroom. It should happen in a couple of days. How good is the iD-Tec in the long term and servicing costs?

If it is the diesel, then there is no competition with Amaze being the sole offering at that price with a CVT. If it comes down to petrols, how good is the Jazz when compared to its sibling ? I do understand that Jazz is built on City's platform while Amaze is just an extension over the Brio. But how much of a difference does it make wrt dynamics or other ownership parameters?
Baleno looks like it does have better mileage on its CVT when compared to these Hondas but then it does stay on a higher rpm which didnt feel as smooth even at 30-50kmph city drive speeds.

P.S: Mods please do merge into the 'Comprehensive guide to Auto' thread if necessary.

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 9th September 2019 at 09:47.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 10:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2019 10L Automatic conundrum - Jazz CVT vs Amaze Petrol/Diesel CVT Baleno/Glanza CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
A friend of mine wants to be upgrading from a Kwid Climber AMT to the next segment of cars....He is quite open to them being Diesel/ Petrol as long as they have decent mileage figures as it should be doing daily office commutes primarily with highway runs occasionally.
If I were your friend, I would go in for the Jazz CVT. The legroom within is simply unreal and Honda's combined experience cutting across geographies with this particular model amounts to a world of good for us. Their CVT tech is also sorted out.

I usually steer clear of the entire VW group and Hyundai too as much as I can (owing to their high after sales service costs).

The Venue is horribly overpriced and for all that moolah, only offers as much space as a hatchback IMO.

The Baleno's featherweight build is infamous for gathering dents when even butterflies sit on them (I'm joking, of course).

If it is the petrol i20 automatic you're looking at, it is underpowered with a 1.2L engine.

I can't stomach any AMTs so I would eschew the grandi10 AMT and the Nexon AMT altogether.

It does leave me, in my hypothetical car search, with the Jazz by a process of elimination. Now, would I rather go in for the Jazz's cousin on stilts, the W-RV? Better ground clearance is always welcome in Indian conditions...
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed