Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2019, 11:07   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

I usually steer clear of the entire VW group and Hyundai too as much as I can (owing to their high after sales service costs).

The Venue is horribly overpriced and for all that moolah, only offers as much space as a hatchback IMO.

The Baleno's featherweight build is infamous for gathering dents when even butterflies sit on them (I'm joking, of course).

If it is the petrol i20 automatic you're looking at, it is underpowered with a 1.2L engine.

I can't stomach any AMTs so I would eschew the grandi10 AMT and the Nexon AMT altogether.

Now, would I rather go in for the Jazz's cousin on stilts, the W-RV? Better ground clearance is always welcome in Indian conditions...

Agreed on the Hyundai part for both overpricing venue and weak 1.2 of i10/i20.

Also more than the build quality , the high revving nature of balenos CVT is keeping us concerned .
It's CVT just doesn't feel relaxed somehow. We did understand that CVTs do have rubber band effect but even a moderate speed of 40-50 in traffic was keeping the engine running at >3000rpm with engine noise clearly audible inside the cabin.

And yeah, that's how we reached at jazz CVT as most automatics in the market are a compromise in something or the other. It's CVT tuning felt much more relaxed and silent to us. But then again Mileage I guess is a concern on CVT ivtec .

And agreed on the WRV as well except that you would be surprised to know that it does not offer an automatic at all
Old 9th September 2019, 11:24   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2019 10L Automatic conundrum - Jazz CVT vs Amaze Petrol/Diesel CVT Baleno/Glanza CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
But then again Mileage I guess is a concern on CVT ivtec .
Oh, if you want to talk about mileage concerns on automatics, talk to me. My 3 cylinder, 700 kg A star with a Torque Converter AT gearbox returns 10 Kmpl in the city. Similarly equipped i10 automatics return even 7 Kmpl in the city

The CVT tech is supposed to return better fuel efficiency than Torque Converter automatics. Your friend will be way better of with it than with a Torque Converter type.

Quote:
And agreed on the WRV as well except that you would be surprised to know that it does not offer an automatic at all
Oh, I didn't know that the WRV doesn't get an automatic option. The Jazz remains the lone viable option then.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2019 10L Automatic conundrum - Jazz CVT vs Amaze Petrol/Diesel CVT Baleno/Glanza CVT

Quote:
But then again Mileage I guess is a concern on CVT ivtec .
Mileage should not be a concern with Jazz CVT if driven with a light foot. I am getting about 12.5 kmpl average for the last year with 100% AC and engine on time, and mileage is not the first thing in my mind when I drive. My car has almost exclusively been used for office commute & weekend mall trips.

With the industry in doldrums and Jazz being a low selling model, you should be able to score some nice discounts.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:38   #34
BHPian

Jazz VX CVT makes a sweet car for the price it can come to you. Even we are considering the same and may close the deal if any of the dealer agrees to get it around 8 lakhs (optimistic but no harm trying given the doldrums auto industry is in)

Baleno / Glanza are great offerings but with Jazz VX CVT at nearly the same price it should be an easy choice to make. If between Baleno and Glanza, I shall personally like the Glanza which has a better brand associated to it with better warranty and after sales service. Moreover, among the sea of Balenos , the subtle changes on Glanza may help stand out.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 9th September 2019 at 13:39. Reason: Spell Check
Old 9th September 2019, 13:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We did test drive the below cars:
I was in this spot earlier this year. With a budget of 8-10L once you are in market one would realize we really don't have a jack-of-all-trades car. Each one has a compromise or two somewhere or other.
Quote:
Elite i20 CVT: Didnt test drive it as Grand i10 petrol AMT offered quite a dull experience. With the heavier i20, it should be even more duller.
As you mentioned your friend is concerned about mileage, you can simply ignore this. Have a look at the i20 CVT thread, folks are reporting 6.5-7.5kmpl mileage.
Quote:
Baleno CVT: ... Decent CVT but too much of rubber band effect. Never saw the engine below 3000 rpm.
This is exactly what I noticed while test driving the Baleno. Somehow the rubberband effect is more pronounced in this compared to i20/Jazz CVT.
Quote:
Nexon AMT- Petrol :
This is what I so wanted to purchase but the AMT experience killed it for me. The head-nod in AMTs is really annoying. Wish it had a TC/CVT.
Quote:
Jazz CVT: Really liked the mature suspension and interiors though no bling bling factors. Felt the CVT is better tuned than the overly revving Baleno CVT. Paddle shifts were like a sweet additional add on.
Jazz was not even in contention when I started but I somehow ended up with it finally as this looked like the best possible compromise under 11L OTR. Since its a global product and has the tried and tested engine-transmission(1.2iVtec with CVT), hoping to have a smooth ownership. Mileage I get in bangalore is ~11.5kmpl (T2T method). Only practical issue I feel is 6 month service schedule(competition has 1 year) and lack of rear adjustable headrests. Wish they continued the magic seats Negotiate hard and you can get some superb discounts on the Jazz. Happy shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
... may close the deal if any of the dealer agrees to get it around 8 lakhs (optimistic but no harm trying given the doldrums auto industry is in)
VX CVT for 8L? Is it in mumbai(going by your location)? Guess the OTR there is 10.7L w/o discounts.

Last edited by navin : 10th September 2019 at 11:07. Reason: typo
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:17   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
VX CVT for 8L? Is it in mumbai(going by your location)? Guess the OTR there is 11.7L w/o discounts.
Yeah. There are few 2018 Jazz VX CVT in the factory stock as per a dealer in Mumbai. However, it is still a very long shot to get a Jazz VX CVT at around 8 lakhs. As you said our budget is such like there has to be a compromise so better negotiate hard and try to get lucky.

If not the CVT then the manual will also be good as the clutch is not as bad as many other cars. Ease of getting into and out of the car is also an added advantage of Jazz. Echoing your wish for magic seats with a sunroof would have made a clear WinneR(V).
Old 9th September 2019, 14:43   #37
anb
BHPian

I think you should reconsider the Figo 1.5 l automatic which now comes with torque converter instead of dual clutch. It should be an ideal upgrade from Kwid. There are many happy EcoSport owners in team-bhp. Figo's performance is only second to Polo GT with much more rear space on the inside. Recently some one has put up an ownership thread of Figo automatic. So the Figo is still available in automatic trim
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Is not Amaze a better proposition than Jazz? Looks aside, Amaze matches Jazz feature-feature, almost similar space(may be short on leg space at back), is doing better in terms of sales and is full 50K cheaper than Jazz. Unless Jazz has some hefty discounts thrown in, I would pick Amaze. Amaze is also about 100KG lighter making it peppier to drive, but at the same time can give you that tin can feeling.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 16:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I think you should reconsider the Figo 1.5 l automatic which now comes with torque converter instead of dual clutch. It should be an ideal upgrade from Kwid. There are many happy EcoSport owners in team-bhp. Figo's performance is only second to Polo GT with much more rear space on the inside. Recently some one has put up an ownership thread of Figo automatic. So the Figo is still available in automatic trim
This is new to me. Never knew Ford moved onto to TC from DCT on Figo twins.
Is it the new dragon series engine on the auto as well ?

If only freestyle also had an auto
Old 9th September 2019, 16:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Is not Amaze a better proposition than Jazz? Looks aside, Amaze matches Jazz feature-feature, almost similar space(may be short on leg space at back), is doing better in terms of sales and is full 50K cheaper than Jazz. Unless Jazz has some hefty discounts thrown in, I would pick Amaze. Amaze is also about 100KG lighter making it peppier to drive, but at the same time can give you that tin can feeling.
Well you have answered yourself and that exactly is the confusion that we are in. Amaze being built on the Brio platform where as Jazz hails from the City's platform. I somehow feel Jazz looks more matured as well while my friend likes the new Amaze's looks
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 16:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well you have answered yourself and that exactly is the confusion that we are in. Amaze being built on the Brio platform where as Jazz hails from the City's platform. I somehow feel Jazz looks more matured as well while my friend likes the new Amaze's looks
Well I am actually in same boat. My Kwid will be out of warranty next Feb and considering a change. For now I have zeroed in Amaze VX CVT and Figo Titanium. The latter has better build,performance and handling while the former has much better fuel efficiency,more features(Paddle shift,Android Auto etc.) and smoother engine/gearbox. Figo is also cheaper and has ESP/TCS/HLA. With no new car intended for launch in this price bracket and impending BS6 restriction, I will wait until May 2020.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Yeah. There are few 2018 Jazz VX CVT in the factory stock as per a dealer in Mumbai. However, it is still a very long shot to get a Jazz VX CVT at around 8 lakhs.
Oh almost a year old. Do have a look at the yard before you decide since mumbai usually goes through flood and all every monsoon. You don't want to end up with a car which was actually stuck in such situation.

I did check out Bangalore yards where honda keeps their cars and hence made it a point to pick up mine(Feb,2019 manufactured) before monsoons(April,2019) since the facility didn't look too great. Had I waited a couple of months more might have saved another 20-25k but its better to spend 25k upfront than getting stuck with a lemon(rain damaged car). During PDI its kinda tough to find out what the vehicle might have gone through. Just my 2 cents

Mind you its not just honda, usually all manufacturers have such setup for stocking their cars. So I personally follow this thumb-rule while making any purchase.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th September 2019 at 09:09.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
During PDI its kinda tough to find out what the vehicle might have gone through. Just my 2 cents
I completely agree with you. 20-25K over a period of 7 years of worship of a car is not worth. Cars have a lot of mechanical and electrical components which are prone to break down if not used frequently. Although many say these modern cars are built to last long but I have my reservations when it comes to a car being standstill.
PDI does not help to know what lies underneath. Components may work at first but with time due to non usage for long periods may give trouble.

Quote:
Mind you its not just honda, usually all manufacturers have such setup for stocking their cars. So I personally follow this thumb-rule while making any purchase.
I had once been to a Volkswagen dealer stockyard. I was shocked to see the way the cars were kept. I really do not understand why these dealers cannot realize their carelessness. Even high end cars like Passat and Tiguan were covered with dust, parked in the open and were never cleaned ever since they arrived at their stockyards. The same dealer also sells Ninja bikes and they were packed in a cardboard box and parked with covered roof. It was an eye opener for me and hence keeping that 2018 Jazz as my last resort.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:30   #44
BHPian

Re: Which AT? Amaze vs Jazz vs Micra vs pre-owned ones. EDIT: Booked Jazz VX CVT

If it helps anywhere in this discussion..

my Amaze iDtech CVT has completed 10000 kms in the past one year. The car is super good without any niggles and has completed the 3 free services. It returns me a mileage of 18 kms in city conditions with A/C On at all times. Except for that little CVT effect while moving initially, it is absolutely smooth with abundance of power if you floor the pedal for overtaking or just to pull out of the crowd.

The A/C is a chiller with fantastic space in the rear row. I love this car as a city daily driver and in fact i have taken it on couple +1000 kms trips and hills where it behaved absolutely normal and easy to drive.

Just that if it helps.. but i guess it would cost 10L plus OTR.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 10:44   #45
BHPian

Re: Which AT? Amaze vs Jazz vs Micra vs pre-owned ones. EDIT: Booked Jazz VX CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
If it helps anywhere in this discussion..

my Amaze iDtech CVT has completed 10000 kms in the past one year. The car is super good without any niggles and has completed the 3 free services. It returns me a mileage of 18 kms in city conditions with A/C On at all times. Except for that little CVT effect while moving initially, it is absolutely smooth with abundance of power if you floor the pedal for overtaking or just to pull out of the crowd.

The A/C is a chiller with fantastic space in the rear row. I love this car as a city daily driver and in fact i have taken it on couple +1000 kms trips and hills where it behaved absolutely normal and easy to drive.

Just that if it helps.. but i guess it would cost 10L plus OTR.

Swami

Thank you! That helps!
He doesn't mind spending upto 11.5 OTR. We are still supposed to test drive the amaze diesel CVT. Apparently, the one at Pride Honda met with an accident and we are waiting on a test drive vehicle
At one point, we even tried contemplating the Yaris old stock which were going at 2 lakh discount but then they were all sold out on the base auto trims in Hyderabad.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks