Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 19:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Simply go for a Maruti/Hyundai WagonR/Santro. 2nd hand diesel vehicles should not considered given an option - especially Mahindras UVs
Old 5th February 2007, 20:42   #17
BHPian

As far as the first three points, viz.

1) High reliabilty (no break downs)
2) Good resale value
3) Low maintennance costs

are concerned, Maruti vehicles score the highest. The only tricky part of the problem for you is the road conditions, as most Maruti vehicles have low ground clearance. May I suggest something ? Why not go for a non-tollboy type Maruti vehicle (a new Alto / used Zen / M800), and modify it with extra long suspension? I've seen many Zen/800s of this type, and personally I find them cool. It makes those cars taller by about 10-15 cms, and ride quality is also great. Modifying a WagonR in such a way will make it very unsafe for high speed driving, and am not sure it's even possible.
Old 5th February 2007, 20:56   #18
BHPian

>>> Can the bolero power train be considered a new generation diesel? Can it prove troublesome?

No way... when people talk about new-gen diesel engines, they refer to CRDI or DDIS engines.

Since you live in Whitefield, I can understand how important reliability is for you. I've lived in Bangalore for two years myself. If I were you, I would have bought a new Alto and modded it with better suspension.

BTW, is it your own house? Is moving to a different location a feasible option? That would change a lot of things...

Off topic - Don't think too much about selling off after 1-2 years. Being in IT doesn't always mean getting a long-term onsite opportunity. Most assignments last only for a few months. In case, I'm wrong, please correct me, and accept my CV for a post in your company ;-)
Old 5th February 2007, 22:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohantn View Post
Crazy Driver,

Why is the Baleno considered better the Accent? From what i researched, the Accent has DOHC while the Baleno has SOHC. Also one Accent model has ABS. Cant determine whether the Baleno has ABS. Also are the FE of both cars comaparable?
Accent sells cause of that good CRDi engine... There are no comparisons to that engine at the price (Now, may be the Swift DDiS is better)

But petrol accent is rather sluggish and doesnt offer much in terms of perfromance... Baleno, IMO, has got a gem of an engine... With excellent performance, good mileage... (If only it were given better looks to go with it...)

Go a bit through the forum... Baleno is one of the most talked of cars here...

A new baleno with all discounts cost 5.5L on road now... Also the car is being phased out... (I think stocks are almost over, cause its not being shown in newspaper ads here anymore... So, even 3.1L for 5 year old car should be bargained down...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th February 2007 at 22:17.
Old 5th February 2007, 22:30   #20
BHPian

Amu,

Wanted a car with a boot large enough to hold a lpg cylender. That is why i did not consider alto/M800. Also not sure what these modifications entail, in terms of cost and effort.
I have my own apartment beyond Whitefield. Hence cannot move. :-). And regarding going on-site, i have been told to expect it. Your welcome to send me ur CV. ;-)
Old 5th February 2007, 22:33   #21
BHPian

Crazy_Driver,

Is the Accent 1.6 also sluggish? Doesn't it produce 102 bhp?
Old 5th February 2007, 22:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Esteem Lover,

You initially said that the Wagon R is more reliable than the Bolero.
You also mention that the fancy saloons will take you to the garage more frequently than the Bolero. Is there an inconsistency here, or are you suggesting that the Wagon R is even more reliable than the fancy saloons. (Baleno/Accent)

I have heard several people say that a diesel vehicle is more troublesome than a petrol engine. However, others say that this does not apply to new generation diesels. Can the bolero power train be considered a new generation diesel? Can it prove troublesome?

My main concern about the Bolero was being able to resell it again when necessary.

I am quite diligent about regular maintennance.
The worst problem I could have with a car is having a break-down, coz. I live in the desolate outskirts of the city (beyond whitefield), where it will be very difficult to get help in the event of a break down.

Hey rohantn,
i apologize if i sounded confusing or inconsistent. My initial suggestion to you was to get the more resaleable & reliable vehicle on decent roads, which can also hold its own pretty reasonably on reasonably bad roads.

Quote:
I have always wanted a jeep from child hood,
but, this above statement, coupled with the fact that you did mention that the roads were bad made me say that the bolero could be a good choice. Mind you, i had one for a year & i know pretty well what it is to own one. it is like a love story/marriage. there are absolutely fantastic moments which really throw out the bad moments. i just wanted you to follow your heart, if you can afford it.
cheers
Old 6th February 2007, 09:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Esteem Lover,

The heart says Jeep, the head seems doubtful about it. :-)
It is called PASSION!!
Old 6th February 2007, 10:04   #24
BHPian

Go for the Wagon R. It is easy to drive park and maintain....Bolero is gud but it dosen't have a gud resale value, again you will have a difficult time to dispose it, coz it cannot be disposed as fast as u can do with a wagon R !!, but yes the bolero is very gud on bad roads, but surely not an offroader...
Old 6th February 2007, 15:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

One doubt...

Why are you running two simultaneous threads???

WagonR vs Bolero...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-advice-2.html
&
Baleno vs Accent???
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...kon-flair.html

Planning to buy two cars???

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th February 2007 at 15:53.
Old 7th February 2007, 12:49   #26
BHPian

Hi Crazy Driver,

The initial consensus on this thread was against the Bolero. While researching the prices on the Wagon R, I found that a second hand Accent/Baleno is just marginally costlier and seemed better VFM (seems that the sedans depreciate faster). Hence if I decide against the Bolero, the next choice would be between the Wagon R or a Accent/Baleno.
Hence wanted to parallely get info about Accent/Baleno and felt that I needed to have a seperate appropriately tittled thread for it, so as to get a wider response
Old 7th February 2007, 17:02   #27
BHPian

Esteem Lover,

The heart does suggest Bolero. However I also need to consider practicality as I am supposed to be a responsible family man now. :-)

Some questions for you:-
1) Did you own a second hand bolero?
2) What was the maintennance like?
3) Will it give trouble free performance, if it is regularly serviced? Is the possibility of a road-side breakdown reasonably low?
4) How difficult was it to sell it, in terms of finding a buyer?
5) Did you get a good price when you sold it?
6) Why did you sell if off in a year (did the love affair go sour :-))?
(apologize for the number of questions).

If the bolero appears to be less practical at this stage, I will buy a car, but my next vehicle will definitely be a Jeep. I just hope Maruti would re-launch the Gypsy with a DDiS engine. I think that would be ideal. Also I personally don't favor SUVs with long chasis. Think they should be compact. Saw several compact Suzuki Vitaras in UK. Really liked them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks