Team-BHP - pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/21057-pre-owned-wagon-r-pre-owned-bolero-pls-advice.html)

Hi,

I am planning to buy a car. Was using a bike so long. But with a baby due, have decided to buy a car. Currently also using my dad's M800.

I am an IT professional based in Bangalore. My current situation is that I will be in India for 1 to 1.5 years, before I go for a long term stint abroad (2 years).

Hence I have decided to go for a second-hand car, as I would lose too much money on the new car depreciation, if I ty to sell it after just 1 to 1.5 years.

I have short listed my choice to a Bolero or a Wagon R (with LPG conversion).

My requirements from the car are as follows:

1) High reliabilty (no break downs)
2) Good resale value
3) Low maintennance costs
4) ability to take bad roads as the road to the area I live in has a large stretch (2 km) of dirt roads with big pot holes

The points that I would like information on to make a decision are:-

Regarding Bolero

1) How is the re-sale value of a Bolero? Is there a ready market for it, in case I need to sell it in a hurry?

2) How reliable would a second hand bolero be? I have read in reviews that a Bolero can be expected to be virtually problem free for 10 years?

3) Is it ok to drive a Bolero through badly pot holed roads without reducing speed (say 40 kmph). Is it buit to stand such treatment? Or will it damage the vehicle or say even lead to the development of rattling noise, etc?

4) How is the Bolero in city driving conditions (turning radius, parallel parking, etc)?

Regarding Wagon R

1) How tolerant is the car to bad roads?
The M800 I am currently driving has developed a couple of rattling noises, because of the bad roads in the area I live (this despite driving
quite slowly on the bad roads). Can a Wagon R take more punishment?

These 2 cars are worlds apart. First, i will try to answer the bolero part of it. If the Bolero can be virtually trouble free for 10 years, then it would have been the most successful SUV in india. In fact, there are so many perennial issues with the bolero that you have to take utmost care when you prepare a long journey. It is a tough vehicle, nevertheless needs constant care. The wagon R is a far more reliable vehicle, but i don't think it can be that good on bad roads. Re sale values are pretty much the same for both vehicles

You are comparing an old generation Diesel MUV with a small petrol car. If you dont drive more than 80kms daily, you dont need Bolero. Heck, even if you drive more to justify diesel, Bolero is not the answer. Is terribely outdated and i dont think its reliable. Its rugged no doubt.

Anyways, considering your requirements:

]1) High reliabilty (no break downs): Surely WagonR
2) Good resale value: WagonR
3) Low maintennance costs: Definitely WagonR
4) ability to take bad roads as the road to the area I live in has a large stretch (2 km) of dirt roads with big pot holes:: Bolero. BUT, Breakdowns are common.

If yours is a big family, consider a second hand Qualis or a Tavera.

WagonR handles bad roads nicely... But dont accept it to glide over bad roads... You can't speed over bad roads, as in the Bolero... However, if you take it slowly, the wagonR has got soft suspension set-up... And, it is also not immune to rattles, if treated roughly...

Why dont you look at a second- hand Scorpio or Qualis too??? As far as i know, a second hand qualis or Scorpio would be much more reliable than the Bolero...

You could also consider a second hand opel Corsa (if available)... Provides a very very good ride quality... And is not so high on the second hand price... (But resale value could be less too)

Thanks all for your inputs.

The general consensus seems to be that the Wagon R is a more reliable vehicle than the Bolero.

That sure tilts the decision in favor of the Wagon R.

I did not want to consider the Qualis/Tavera, coz. they look huge (rather long) and seem more like people carriers than Jeeps.
I have always wanted a jeep from child hood, but I guess I will postpone the jeep till I am in a position to buy a brand new one.

I considered a Corsa, but backed out due to problems with low ground clearance.

The other cars I considered and ruled out were Esteem (light body and resulting lack of safety features) and the ikon flair (bad brakes, inputs from team bhp forums).

The other cars I would like to consider along with the Wagon R are the Baleno Lxi and Accent GLE (all second hand). If I buy a petrol car, my intention is to go for a LPG gas conversion.

I had initially decided to stick to a C-Segment car (Baleno/Accent) thinking a larger car would be a safer option with LPG (more crumple zone, in the case of a rear end collision on the LPG tank). However I have read that the fixed LPG tanks are made of a material that can survive high speed collisions without rupturing.

With Maruti launching the Wagon R Duo, I got the impression that the Wagon R woud be a good choice.

Can I get some inputs between a Wagon R vs Baleno vs Accent (all 2nd hand).

The primary considerations would be
1) Value for Money
2) Safety
3) handling in congested bangalore city traffic

Do i need to start this as a seperate thread?

Thanks for all your responses anyways...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohantn (Post 367807)
The primary considerations would be
1) Value for Money
2) Safety
3) handling in congested bangalore city traffic

Do i need to start this as a seperate thread?

Thanks for all your responses anyways...

If your driving is primarily in city, and not more than 4 people travel, then it wont make much difference whether its sedan or small car. However, wagonR being smaller will be the most easier to handle in congested traffic (point 3). About safety, well not much to choose, ofcourse wagonR cannot be called a very safe vehicle if you do speeds in excess of 80kmph and like to drift and slide and drag everyday. But for city driving its ok. For driving pleasure, nothing else than a Baleno would do, although Accent is good too. Value for money? well all three are good value for money, but keep in mind that Baleno is going to be phased out soon and so will be the Accent (it already has i think)

EDIT: if you are going for wagonR, make sure its LXi/VXi (with power steering). Its very light power steering is a big boon in city congested traffic. Dont even think of LX.

Plan for wagonR or Santro. for Bangalore road if you can live with Santro's suspension in bad roads go blindly with santro, its a great unmatchable city car.

Its very easy to drive in congested city like bangalore.

Only -ve point about Santro is its suspension in bad roads.

WagonR is better only in terms of ride comfort compared with Santro.

Ravi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravibhat (Post 367863)
WagonR is better only in terms of ride comfort compared with Santro.

Having lived with Santro Zipplus and WagonR Lxi, i can tell you the only areas Santro scores above wagonR is the better quality of interiors, and slightly more responsive engine at lower speeds. The new ERLX is also more refined than the wagonR.

A.S.S., driving comfort, suspension, FE, reliability.. the Maruti is well ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dceite (Post 367868)
A.S.S., driving comfort, suspension, FE, reliability.. the Maruti is well ahead.

agree:
Some friends who owned these 2 cars at a time, later on decided to sell the Santro and Keep the other!!

Hey...

If you can get a good deal on a baleno... No comparison... Its a different league altogether... Its got more status, Good build quality (Best in maruti stable, i think), good ride, and a fantastic engine... However, looks are the negative factor... Also, spares are reasonably expensive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohantn (Post 367327)
I have short listed my choice to a Bolero or a Wagon R (with LPG conversion).

This is tough!. Make up your mind, there are no comparisons between an UV ( not that old against "dceite" mentioned) and a car.

I would say , if you like Jeep (say Bolero) go for it. There is nothing cosmetic Rugged, Good family space, Basic controls, very basic A/C - Yet powerful.

Remember you need to take care regular oil change without fail!. Also not sure is there any seat belts in rear - if you need to fix Car seat for the child.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohantn (Post 367807)
The other cars I would like to consider along with the Wagon R are the Baleno Lxi and Accent GLE (all second hand). If I buy a petrol car, my intention is to go for a LPG gas conversion.

What is your monthly running like? Have you done a cost analysis to see whether fitting LPG would actually be beneficial for you? Remember a good LPG kit is not very cheap and you need to be doing high-mileages to justify that investment.

If your roads are that bad, forget these fancy saloons, they will take you to your garage a lot more often than the bolero. you seem to like the jeep, why not go for the jeep.

Or if your roads are not that bad, take your pick. For LPG conversions, the OHC, Esteem & the Baleno (Not sure) are really good. Do not even consider the Ikon.

Wagon -r is a good choice. Baleno for 1.5 years of use might be a big investement. VFM- go for pre owned Wagon-r. Couple of my colleages downgraded from Optra and Ikon to pre owned wagon-r for city use. I own a Santro and it has a 'welded' suspension.

Hey Esteem Lover,

You initially said that the Wagon R is more reliable than the Bolero.
You also mention that the fancy saloons will take you to the garage more frequently than the Bolero. Is there an inconsistency here, or are you suggesting that the Wagon R is even more reliable than the fancy saloons. (Baleno/Accent)

I have heard several people say that a diesel vehicle is more troublesome than a petrol engine. However, others say that this does not apply to new generation diesels. Can the bolero power train be considered a new generation diesel? Can it prove troublesome?

My main concern about the Bolero was being able to resell it again when necessary.

I am quite diligent about regular maintennance.
The worst problem I could have with a car is having a break-down, coz. I live in the desolate outskirts of the city (beyond whitefield), where it will be very difficult to get help in the event of a break down.

Kutlee,

If I buy a accent/ baleno or Wagon R, I might not need to dispose it after a year, coz I could entrust it to my parents (who incidentally are horrified about a Jeep :-))

The baleno/Accent seem to be very VFM, coz. a 5 year old vehicle seems to cost about 2.7 to 3.1 lacs (as per carwale).

iragahava,

Monthly running would be around 900 km.
I thought an LPG conversion would cost around 22k.

Also plan to take some driving holidays this year, but don't know how feasible that would be with a baby.

Chanapli,

The heart says Jeep, the head seems doubtful about it. :-)

Crazy Driver,

Why is the Baleno considered better the Accent? From what i researched, the Accent has DOHC while the Baleno has SOHC. Also one Accent model has ABS. Cant determine whether the Baleno has ABS. Also are the FE of both cars comaparable?