Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2007, 10:35   #16
vamshi_v

I like the Palio for its safety, build quality and looks.
My basic reason of not buying the present palio is it is having the spare parts availability with the present one.
If I buy the new one atleast for some years fiat is going to support the spares for the new car.
Now thinking of Swift as fiat is not launching its new Palio.

Old 6th February 2007, 12:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamshi_v View Post
I like the Palio for its safety, build quality and looks.
My basic reason of not buying the present palio is it is having the spare parts availability with the present one.
If I buy the new one atleast for some years fiat is going to support the spares for the new car.
If you want safety, go for Swift Zxi with ABS and airbags, which makes it much safer than the Palio.
For build-quality, i guess Getz and UVA are better here.

Looks are verrrry subjective - so I leave it upto you.
Old 7th February 2007, 04:51   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Two issues back ACI did a spares survey and it was clear that the Swift is the Most Costly car to maintain in the hatch segment.

But it still sells and it shows the trust of the general public in MUL vehicles.
Old 7th February 2007, 11:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

But it still sells and it shows the trust of the general public in MUL vehicles.
Let's not forget the quality issues in the car too. I am waiting for the J.D.Power survey to be out. If the car finishes anywhere near the top, we all will know how reliable these survey's are.
Old 7th February 2007, 11:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
FIAT not launching? Did you mean to say, "FIAT is not launching the new Palio, this week/month" or something like that? Or you do know something that we dont?
Old 7th February 2007, 11:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well, If the car finishes somewhere at the top, its because the OWNERS (who drive it everyday) think its a good car.
Old 7th February 2007, 11:57   #22
BHPian

I think you should go ahead and buy a Swift.There are hardly any Palios left in stock at the dealers.As far as the new one is concerned,well you dont know how it would drive with the 60 odd bhp 1.1 FIRE unit or what kind of fuel efficiency you could get.And you certainly cannot make comparisons with the Swift which would invariably be faster with the 1.3 L 87 bhp unit.

The Swift is a good car with good punch once you are riding in the upper end of the rev band.It is certainly safer than the Palio with abs and airbags,as goldie mentioned.Even without the optional safety kit, the Swift would fare pretty well in a crash since it is built much better than other Marutis. As far as build quality is concerned,there are two ways to look at it.If you meant the build quality of the external body shell,the Palio is miles ahead than any other car.Even the chassis is stronger than others.But that is for the present palio.The new one is undergoing some weight reduction,so cant say about that one.The other way to look at it is the build quality of the interiors,where palio is nowhere near the getz or swift.Getz would probably be the best here.

The areas where Swift loses out is the steering feedback and feel in comparison to palio.The EPS could be blamed for that.And the rear visibility is very poor in the swift,even more than palio or getz.

So, I would say if you are lucky enough to get the present palio 1.6 at any of the dealers,jump for it.Spares are really not a problem.Atleast the availibilty of spares is much better now.But you might have to wait for a while for some spares to arrive at your dealer.Both the palio and swift are fairly reliable cars,but the getz might just be better.The price difference in spares is neglible between the three cars.Also,Fiats depriciate faster than others.

But the new Palio may not worth waiting for,atleast until the multijet or the 1.6 'torque' engine is plonked in it .The only Fiat worth waiting for now is the Grande Punto,which may take forever to reach out shores.

If you really want the Fiat connection, buy the SWIFT diesel.It is an unbeatable package.But it is over your budget and not required unless your running is high.The Swift petrol is good in the present scenario.

Last edited by roms : 7th February 2007 at 12:05.
Old 7th February 2007, 12:09   #23
BHPian

i think you should wait for a few more days so that the revised (lowered?) budget is announced for getting further excise cut...after that there'll be a lot of price reductions and a flurry of launches - Palio 1.1, Fusion 1.4TDCi, Getz CRDi, Santro CRDi, Indica Dicor,etc...and the best thing is that, almost all should come under your budget
Old 11th February 2007, 21:06   #24
vamshi_v

Thanks goldie_malhotra, Roms & arif. I am still not decided, with the present available cars i think swift is good.

Old 11th February 2007, 22:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still not decided, with the present available cars i think swift is good.
Go and get your copy of Overdrive-Feb2007 right now!!! Its got a proper shootout of Swift/Getz/U-VA comparing the pro's and cons of each.

That way you will make and informed decision and while your at it take your family and test drive all 3 cars
Old 31st March 2007, 20:40   #26
vamshi_v

Hi everyone,
Thanks everyone for helping me in taking a decision. Finally today I booked Swift VXI, the car will be delivered in 10 days.

Old 1st April 2007, 11:55   #27
BHPian

Almost everyone ends up buying the VXi over the ZXi. So much so that Maruti is considering stopping ZXi altogther (BS Motoring) because of dismal sales.

Are ABS, Airbags and wider tyres not even worth that extra security? Dont we need them here in India?
Lot of People reading these forums extoll the security features, but when it comes to actual buying, they back off.

Is it simply cost?

Security features are a pure expense till they come in use. Then they are priceless.

So much for the Intelligent, well-read, well-researched Indian buyer.
Old 1st April 2007, 16:45   #28
vamshi_v

Hi Sids911,
Even I would like to go for Zxi, but my budget is 4.5 so booked Vxi and also I would be using mostly for city driving, bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 2nd April 2007, 20:29   #29
BHPian

Hi Vamshi,

you missed it by a whisker...Fiat inaugrated their new plant at Ranjangaon today. "New Palio Stile" has been launched. Booking starts from 4th April. You may like to get more information on Fiat Club India The members just returned from launch so photos, videos of Fiat inaugration is being uploaded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks