Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2007, 22:09   #61
BHPian

Thanks buddy.
Well its not abt money alone..If Swift was as good as an used Baleno to drive i would have gone for it with my eyes closed. But i did not feel the same when i test drove Swift and as far as my opinion goes Santro or Wagon R does not deserve that 70k extra.

I am banking on Tata which is just like Bajaj.Everytime they launch a new vehicle there is a lot of improvement or the other. So have to trust TATA.

Only question abt their vehicle is Reliablility and quality.I will get to know abt that pretty soon and will keep you all updated on this.
Old 17th February 2007, 00:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I wonder why the recently launched Zen Estilo isnt in your reckoning.
It has a proven engine, its interiors are fresher even compared to the Swift, superb maruti service, and the styling aint too bad either.

In your price range, the Estilo would be the first car I'd look up. The other cars are much older, and are due for major revisions(except the Swift ofcourse).
check out the feb 07 autocar comparison of teh two cars.. Santro is the clear winner
Old 17th February 2007, 07:07   #63
BHPian

Yeah i saw that review and decided against going for Estillo.That is why did not bother to include that in my choice.so my choices were Xeta(over Alto)
Santro (over Zen and wagonR) , Swift (over Getz and Aveo).
Old 17th February 2007, 08:31   #64
BHPian

Rock18 : This all ultimately boils down to what are the parameters you have on your mind.

The Xeta is definitely a good car. Have one in the family. Got it through VST at Mount Road chennai. We did feel that the FE was in single digits (~8kmpl) and decided to ask for a Test drive.

The test drive was surprising, measured from full tank to full tank.The driver took us through the regular route which we use, no special drivng techniques like drifting along gears etc., he made some smooth and fast drives in between, just as we do and surprises of surprises, it gave us 12+ on road. Definitely good for such a big and heavy vehicle.

Happy driving...
Old 17th February 2007, 11:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
The test drive was surprising, measured from full tank to full tank.
i could not get this.

is it you topped the car, drove few kms and then again topped it in a bunk to get the figures
Old 17th February 2007, 20:48   #66
BHPian

Congo rock18!!! GOOD choice. Enjoy the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Hi Ess_a
referring to your comment
Preference: mileage
Xeta1.2 > Xeta1.4 ~ Santro > Swift

price
Xeta1.2 < Xeta1.4< Santro XL < Swift

PERRRRFORMANCE!!
SWIFT!!!! >>> Santro > Xeta 1.4 > Xeta 1.2..

I am not sure if it helps rock18 but I just cant stop myself from appreciating you for summarising it this way...good work dude
Well actually at that time rock18 hadnt clearly mentioned his most important preference... SOOOOO
Old 5th March 2007, 14:13   #67

Folks,
I am also in a fix (like Rock18). as to buying a new car in the B segment.
Could you guys help me out with my requirements?

My Budget is 4.0 Lakhs (inclusive of taxes + insurance). I am trying to decide very quickly between Xeta (1.4), Wagon R (Lxi/Vxi) and Santro (XL/XO). I did test drive the Wagon R and Xeta (1.2). Wagon R seemed to be slightly better with changing gears and good at lower speeds without jerks. But Indica Xeta price is so cosy ( I can get the highest rev. at about 3.75 Lakh) with the new offer for 20,000/- cash discount in Bangalore.

I sincerely feel that high end cars are not VFM in Bangalore, where hardly driving is a pleasure and I dont feel the necessity of having fog lights/rear defogger - Xeta (1.4) (When was the last time we had a fog in Bangalore?) Is it a smart thing to buy a lower rev.of models (GLS - Indica) and add Power windows at the rear. Some fear that any addition made by the dealer is not as good as the factory fitted version. Wagon R Vxi do not even have rear p/windows and its priced at 4.27 lakhs (Bimal showroom do not provide any other freebies).

Santro was my favorite from the beginning due to its universal adaptability. I would not like to buy that without any offers from the dealers. Does anyone know regarding the same.

I have to make a decision in a couple of days as the dealers (Prerana's) offer for Indica is open only till March 7.

Again could any of you guide me regarding this or should I wait for a month or so for any nominal drop in prices.
Old 5th March 2007, 22:00   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Prasad View Post
should I wait for a month or so for any nominal drop in prices.
I dont think there will be any fall in prices.. Budget has alreadybeen announced and it 'increased' them..

Now to your choice thing... Are you going to be driving or being driven around? Asking just coz, do you really want rear power windows?
Secondly, is space (backseat) of any contention?
Thirdly, you want comfort or driving pleasure?

Comfort + backseat: Xeta > WagonR >(marginally) Santro
Driving pleasure: WagonR~Santro > Xeta

Take your call.
Old 5th March 2007, 22:17   #69

Thanks Ess_a for that Feedback. Further yes, I will be driving mostly in the city (Bangalore) and occasionally on long drives. Also, FE is also a concern. Only the highest rev. of Xeta is 1400CC, the lesser ones are 1200CC, although this is better than Santro, Wagon R.

I am looking for both Comfort and Mileage. Any idea on Resale value for Xeta (1.4)?

Do any of you know good price for a Santro XO model in Bangalore. I did not get any offer from either Trident or Advaith recently.

I am getting almost 24,000 off for Xeta (from Prerana). I am in dilemma, as the offer is valid only till for about a couple of days.

Anybody knows any similar deals for Wagon R?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th March 2007, 09:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guru,

i am also in the process of buying a Swift and what i noticed is that there not many discounts available..Even i feel that i should have hurried and got it booked before feb end

If you really plan to keep the car for long..i feel resale value hardly matters..but what matters is the maintainance cost..and as you said FE, to some extent..

but for city driving, i dont think there is much difference in mileage...but then..i am a new driver just like you...just telling you the results of the studies i have made so far
Old 6th March 2007, 17:02   #71

Quote:
Thanks Ess_a for that Feedback. Further yes, I will be driving mostly in the city (Bangalore) and occasionally on long drives. Also, FE is also a concern. Only the highest rev. of Xeta is 1400CC, the lesser ones are 1200CC, although this is better than Santro, Wagon R.

I am looking for both Comfort and Mileage. Any idea on Resale value for Xeta (1.4)?

Do any of you know good price for a Santro XO model in Bangalore. I did not get any offer from either Trident or Advaith recently.

I am getting almost 24,000 off for Xeta (from Prerana). I am in dilemma, as the offer is valid only till for about a couple of days.

Anybody knows any similar deals for Wagon R?

Thanks in advance.
Did you try manipal also? If you play one against the other, you will get a better deal.

Don't look at discounts on the car alone, also bargain for the accessories you need to purchase.

I got the best rate from Manipal and the best interest rate from Prerana. So I negotiated the combination with Manipal!! In addition, I also got Rs. 3.5k off on Blaupunkt stereo (incl speakers).

regards,

Sandeep
Old 6th March 2007, 19:48   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Also, FE is also a concern.
Well all the three cars return almost identical mileage. My friend's WagonR returns 15-16 kmpl in city without AC, and another one's Santro around 14-15 in similar condtts. As for Xeta, it is around 15 from what I have read and heard.
1200cc Xeta may return more, but only marginally.

Quote:
Only the highest rev. of Xeta is 1400CC, the lesser ones are 1200CC, although this is better than Santro, Wagon R.
The 1200cc Xeta, and the WagonR or Santro, are not comparable. Its cc may look greater, but its basically a rival to Alto and not these two.

Quote:
Any idea on Resale value for Xeta (1.4)?
How long do you want to keep the car? I you will sell it off in a short while (about 2-3yrs), then WgonR will give you the best resale value. Other wise dont considewr resale value.

One more thing. Dont worry about best deals. Yout car is the best deal!! Others are mere add-ons. If you set your heart on some-one or something, everything else is secondary.

Okay it seems to me that it is going to be your first car. If it is, then avoid Tata. NOT that the cars are not good. In fact Tata is the one which is the most active in improving them. Its just that Maruti and Hyundai are just a little more reliable esp for new users. Lesser niggling problems.

So i think you should take your pick among Santro or WagonR. And as you in your first post mentioned about rear power windows and all, Santro should be the one for you.

Hope the long helps a little.
Old 6th March 2007, 20:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

@Guru Prasasd, go for either WagonR or Santro. Both are tried and tested and are quite similar. Not that i am against TATA Xeta, but TATA are better known for their diesel vehicles, and Xeta is a fairly new product. Its spacious no doubt, but as an overall package, i dont find it that better compared to Santro/WagonR.

You can also look for Alto. Its a little short on space, but will give you better mileage and a cheap to run, easy to maintain car.

As for resale, as ess_a pointed out, wagonR commands the best value.
Old 6th March 2007, 21:02   #74

needs suggestion

Hi All

I am having a tough time in selecting between santro xo / wagonr vxi. Some one suggested me that wagonR gives me a better road view because of its seating position ( because i am 5'6" height) than santro -- is it true?

I test rode both but could not find much difference , could be because its for a very short length and in a straight road.

Both are affordable in my budget.

I live in Hyderabad and use the car for daily office commuting - < 15 km / per day . I have severe backpain and thats the reason why i have to buy a car.

Please suggest since both the sales guys (maruti & hundai) has confused me. Also i have no car driving exp so far. Small cars are out because my parents can not sit comfortably!

WagonR VXI - 4.19 L and Santro XO - 4.16 L. I Want to buy in this week.

Thanks
Nag
Old 6th March 2007, 22:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiru71 View Post
I have severe backpain and thats the reason why i have to buy a car.
I have driven both Xeta and WagonR. Xeta had a better ride. Dont know about Santro, but it is known for its harsher ride. Have a drive of Xeta as well before deciding. And yes, its backseat is like a mansion!!

If Tata is not in the picture, then maybe WagonR will be better for you as compared to Santro. (keeping back seat comfort in mind)

Most Viewed