Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2007, 20:46   #1
BHPian

Xeta VS Santro VS Swift.Please help

Hi All,
This is my first post in this forum.I have been a bike guy so far and know little about cars, though i used to read lot of automobile magazines.
My 1st car is 2nd hand Maruthi800, Which i bought it from true value for 1lac in 2005.Today sold the car to the same dealer for 60k(Depreciation 40%) after using it for 22months and 6000kms.I was completely disappointed with that car and hence the low mileage.I will write abt that in anthr thread.

Now for the Ultimate question. Which Car to Buy? My 1st new car.
I have 3 cars in mind,Though i may not be financially strong enough.

1.Indica Xeta. Available for 3.5 lacs with AC,power steering and 2 FR power windows.
Dislikes:Image(most of the indicas are cabs),FE,Not that easy to drive in congested traffic,Resale value

2.Hyundai Santro XL Available for 3.75 Lacs after discount with AC,Power steering and 2 FR Power windows

Dislikes:Costlier,4 seater,Bumpy ride over bad roads

3.Swift LXI Available for 4.1 Lacs (After all the discounts and exchange bonus).This price is too tempting for me to buy the swift.

Dislikes: Have to take very gud care of this shiny red color car in this congested traffic and narrow roads from scratches,Low FE,

My knowledge is limited to Books and small test drives..so i am not in a position to decide which one will be best for me..So i need all of your expert advise on this.

I am including Swift because of that tempting offer of 35k discount. Otherwise i think its outta my reach.

Can somebody please provide me FE figures for all these 3 cars.
Please help me decide at the earliest..
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Old 9th February 2007, 23:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Car getting scratched goes to any model. Swift cannot be compared iwth either Xeta or Santro. Swift gives mileage of around 12 kms within city and 18 kms in highway. If you could afford for Swift, choose it with your eyes closed.

PS: Iam not sure on prices you mentioned. You will be able to get better offers on Santro

Last edited by Surprise : 9th February 2007 at 23:38.
Old 9th February 2007, 23:45   #3
BHPian

Hey Thanks for the replu Dude..But that is the best price for Santro XL. i.e the model with AC,PS and 2FR Power windows. Actual price is 3.89 Lacs..They are giving free insurance (around 10k) and then corprate discount of 3.5k so it comes around 3.75L..

And i forgot to tell you abt the other details
Mostly within City and on weekends and occasional long drives
Usage will be around 500kms per month.
It is self drven. and my dad also will drive it sometimes.

Can u please provide me the mileage figures of Santro,Indica 1.2 and Swift in city and highway.
Long term report swift owners say it gives10-11 in city and 15 in Highways.
And also how comfortable is Santro in seating 3ppl at the rear and tackling bad roads.
Old 9th February 2007, 23:56   #4
BHPian

I also faced the exactly the same issue 11 months ago ... I chose the Santro because it seemed like the best deal and also had the best throttle response ...

I know the swift is more powerful but as it is heavier and hence feels slow in gears ... also I kept hearing from people about small quality issues ...

Hope this helps ....
Old 10th February 2007, 00:02   #5
BHPian

regarding santro...i don't think u will get the comfort of xeta or the swift in the back row when seating 3 of them....
i am telling this as an owner of santro... but after purchase most of them get used to the bumpy ride... i guess
Old 10th February 2007, 00:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
I have 3 cars in mind,Though i may not be financially strong enough.
If this is the case then why this?

Quote:
3.Swift LXI Available for 4.1 Lacs (After all the discounts and exchange bonus).This price is too tempting for me to buy the swift.

Dislikes: Have to take very gud care of this shiny red color car in this congested traffic and narrow roads from scratches,Low FE,
If you can stretch your budget and are not toooo concerned with mileage, go for it!! And "care" is true for any colour and any car my friend. So dont bring "care" into picture.

Quote:
1.Indica Xeta. Available for 3.5 lacs with AC,power steering and 2 FR power windows.
Dislikes:Image(most of the indicas are cabs),FE,Not that easy to drive in congested traffic,Resale value
IMAGE!! Arrey baba, why think so much! Most Corollas are cabs in the west!! I dunno about the FE, but if this worries you, you also have the option of the 1.2l Indica Xeta, which will be even cheaper and more fuel efficient.

Quote:
2.Hyundai Santro XL Available for 3.75 Lacs after discount with AC,Power steering and 2 FR Power windows

Dislikes:Costlier,4 seater,Bumpy ride over bad roads
If it looks costly then I guess Swift is completely out of the picture. Secondly why you wanna go for a high end model??? get the one with only AC and power steering! should come arnd 3.4-3.5!!

Okay let me briefly write it down: (I assume that you have already chucked WagonR, Alto and Zen out of the picture)

Preference: mileage
Xeta1.2 > Xeta1.4 ~ Santro > Swift

price
Xeta1.2 < Xeta1.4< Santro XL < Swift

PERRRRFORMANCE!!
SWIFT!!!! >>> Santro > Xeta 1.4 > Xeta 1.2..

Now take your call..
Uuff after this long post I hope I was of some help!!

EDIT: after your second post.
500 km a month= milegae you shoudnt worry too much abt ;-)
But if you want rear seat comfort for seating 3 ppl => Swift or Xeta

Last edited by ess_a : 10th February 2007 at 00:16.
Old 10th February 2007, 12:40   #7
BHPian

Thanks u very much to all of u for replying.

Well that statement(not financially strong enuff) is because i am planning to buy a Bike and a new house as well so that's why. Anyway i shldn't have written that in the 1st place.Please ignore that.:-)

And regarding Santro..No the lower end model comes without PS so i have to consider XL only.I am not saying that Santro is costlier but its comparably costlier when compared to Swift or is Swift cheaper?

When is the CNG/LPG option models coming in Indica and Santro?

Thanks again for the big post
Old 10th February 2007, 13:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check the prices of Swift again. I got a call from Maruti dealer, Cars India saying that Prices of Swift ZXI has come down by 10k and other variants by 7k due to VAT implementation in TN
Old 10th February 2007, 13:55   #9
BHPian

Yup..The price of 4 lacs includes all the discounts.and regarding finance they are not going for less than 11% Diminsihing (ICICI). Is that ok?
Old 10th February 2007, 13:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

you do not need power steering in the santro..also it is good upto 150 KMPH on the highway if roads are good..

Indica offers a better ride than the santro..Swift..is a peppy car but...personally i dont seem to like it much..and An esteem rocks anyday!!

Go for the Santro dude..
Old 10th February 2007, 15:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Thanks u very much to all of u for replying.

Well that statement(not financially strong enuff) is because i am planning to buy a Bike and a new house as well so that's why. Anyway i shldn't have written that in the 1st place.Please ignore that.:-)
There is no need to apologize for that. Everyone is constrained financially due to some reason or the other. It is always wise to make a practical choice when it comes to these things. Very glad that you are buying a new house & good luck with that.

coming to the car, the Swift is probably a little out of your budget. If you can manage that, then that is the car to buy. Otherwise i would suggest the Santro ahead of the Indica, purely for resale & driveability.
Old 10th February 2007, 17:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Swift and Santro any good car comapred with Xeta, Go for swift is you
need comfort and more interior space than santro.

Santro is great car for city driving. It gives wonderfull peppy driving. Swift is sluggish in slow moving traffic.

Satro for driving pleasure Swift for image/look/comfort.

Quality and Safety wise Santro is better than Swift any day!

Ravi.
Old 10th February 2007, 18:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Quality and Safety wise Santro is better than Swift any day!

Ravi.
how do you say that ? quality & safety ??? could you explain ?
Old 10th February 2007, 19:12   #14
BHPian

when it comes to safety ... i think santro might loose to the swift ... it has ABS as an option ...
but got to accept that santro's body design has the impact bars and heard stories about the car holding up....
don't know about the swift... but santro had been put through collision tests it seems ... so could be sufficiently safe ... also if you can live with the constrained accelerator pedal... its good
small things like the dead pedal for the clutch ... to mention... could make it a good choice.

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 10th February 2007 at 19:18.
Old 10th February 2007, 20:39   #15
BHPian

My experience regarding Santro limits to the test drive and comfort while sitting next to the driver and I found it preety bad. I found the steering a bit hard (Lots of my friend said there must be a problem with that Santro test vehicle, so not sure about this).

And I went to the Tata showroom and bought a Xeta (GLX), costed me around 3.56L on road + extra for additional aminities, now the remaining amount is tucked away for a real good next car

I am very satisfied with Xeta and space available in Xeta is too good for the price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks