Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2007, 12:27   #31
BHPian

I wonder why the recently launched Zen Estilo isnt in your reckoning.
It has a proven engine, its interiors are fresher even compared to the Swift, superb maruti service, and the styling aint too bad either.

In your price range, the Estilo would be the first car I'd look up. The other cars are much older, and are due for major revisions(except the Swift ofcourse).
Old 12th February 2007, 14:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
It has a proven engine, its interiors are fresher even compared to the Swift, superb maruti service, and the styling aint too bad either.
In your price range, the Estilo would be the first car I'd look up.
I would take the swift's interiors anyday. Inside the estilo, you feel like you are sitting in a lorry & the plastics look so CHEAP. My 8 year old esteem has far far better interiors compared to the present cars.
Old 12th February 2007, 14:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^Agreed, If its looks & tall boy design doesnt bother you then it would make a great family car.

Oh and BTW, ITS NO ZEN

Last edited by s0uljah : 12th February 2007 at 14:42.
Old 12th February 2007, 16:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I would take the swift's interiors anyday. Inside the estilo, you feel like you are sitting in a lorry & the plastics look so CHEAP. My 8 year old esteem has far far better interiors compared to the present cars.
Hmm. The pictures do look nicer. I thought the beige color scheme would've livened up things a bit. I drive a Swift, the black-grey theme may not appeal to everybody....
Old 12th February 2007, 17:53   #35
BHPian

Ravi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
According to me If one compares Santro and Swift my suggestion: If you look for a car which is easy to drive/safe/economic to run go for Santro.

If you need bigger space than santro/comfort/image/look go for Swift.
You have to have a few components missing to say the Santro is safer than the Swift. And incidentally, despite what your so-called MUL guy told you, the Swift in India is the same as the Swift abroad when it comes to the basic body. Agreed, the high Euro NCAP safety ratings (4 out of 5) is partially because of airbags, etc, that are only available on the ZXi (and even the ZXi does not have side airbags), but please remember that the body itself is also tough. The Euro NCAP report clearly mentions that during the crashtest, the "The body suffered minimal deformation...." []European New Car Assessment Programme: Safety Rating Details

Secondly, you only have to visit a few accident pic threads on Team-BHP to see photographs of Santros and Swifts in accidents. I'm not telling you that the Swift does better because you see many more horribly mangled Santros, but the fact of the matter is that no Swift accident pic is as bad as some of the poor Santros.

The Santro is a good car in the segment it operates in, and built very well, but I'm afraid saying the Santro is safer than the Swift is going into the realm of fiction.

-Ivor
Old 12th February 2007, 21:48   #36
BHPian

:-( Not sure why nobody is supporting Indica.Today again i went to a different showroom in Chennai and enquired about the discounts.

Xeta GLS model AC,PS is 3.38 and the discount they offer is 26000(highest).That equals to 3.12 Lac.Finance is by Tata finance 10.75% Diminshing for 5years.Best i heard so far.ICICI is 12%.
Checked with Hyundai showroom but no other discounts so price stands at 3.74 lacs :-( Looks like they will offer free floor mats.lol.

Well all these replies making me think again abt Indica.

Yeah one more thing, While coming back i met my friend in Maruti True value showroom and i was just checking with him abt the Used WagonR and Esteem Prices.He offered me a drive in maruti Baleno.Oh God.That is the best car i have ever driven. Superb pickup and very good seat posistion.Felt at complete ease.
After driving a Maruti 800 for nearly 2 years,I felt bit awkward driving Santro and Indica..and Even Swift looked bigger. But this car is so easy to zip around in traffic even for a Novice rider like me.That is 2000 model, 2nd owner and has done 53k,Fully loaded. He said the best price he can offer is 2.8Lacs.
and with 6months warranty. Which is same as what we get when buying a new car.Not sure i will be able to maintain that car..But i am very much impressed.

Can any one advise on that pls.
Pls forgive my ignorance, if any.
Old 12th February 2007, 22:26   #37
BHPian

Well I have a XETA CNG GLG and am very happy with it, Its a good VFM..You can check out my review on XETA.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...ng-review.html

Last edited by wolfinstein : 12th February 2007 at 22:36.
Old 12th February 2007, 22:33   #38
nbr
BHPian

[quote=rock18;372893]:-( Not sure why nobody is supporting Indica.Today again i went to a different showroom in Chennai and enquired about the discounts.

Xeta GLS model AC,PS is 3.38 and the discount they offer is 26000(highest).That equals to 3.12 Lac.Finance is by Tata finance 10.75% Diminshing for 5years.Best i heard so far.ICICI is 12%.
Checked with Hyundai showroom but no other discounts so price stands at 3.74 lacs :-( Looks like they will offer free floor mats.lol.

INDICA is in fact a vfm car, because it has space for 5 people to travel in comfort, spare parts r relatively cheaper, and reasonable fe, if no t like SANTROs, but definately in par with SWIFT.
the only crib about XETA is the image and resale value on the petrol, but that again will be compensated by the low showroom price of the car.
Old 12th February 2007, 23:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm. The pictures do look nicer. I thought the beige color scheme would've livened up things a bit. I drive a Swift, the black-grey theme may not appeal to everybody....
The beige colour is good if the upholstery is of a decent quality, but if it is going to be cheap plastic, it has the opposite effect
Old 13th February 2007, 00:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I know one can't compare Santro and Swift but this thread has choosing between between xeta/santro/swift.

What I suggested is based on feedback I saw and my personal experience with Santro and Swift since I owned and travelled around 11,000KM each in both the cars.

According to me If one compares Santro and Swift my suggestion: If you look for a car which is easy to drive/safe/economic to run go for Santro.

If you need bigger space than santro/comfort/image/look go for Swift.

Now since when did Santro become SAFER than swift? Swift is much more safer and strongly built than Santro. Upsize the tyres to 185/70/14 (standard in Zxi) preferably Potenza GIIi and than get unmatched grip, stability and NO body roll.
Comparing Swift and Santro is not just to Santro (I own both as well). Santro is quite basic car, good for ladies. But Swift is a more complete car, more solidly build, better heart, and much much more FTD. Plus the current Santro is nearing its end cycle with some new model in the horizon, the Swift is just 2 years old, and so it would have a better resale and still look good a few years later. I would go for Swift if I was in your position.
Old 13th February 2007, 13:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18
He offered me a drive in maruti Baleno. Oh God. That is the best car i have ever driven. Superb pickup and very good seat position. Felt at complete ease.
Welcome to the world of Baleno - a world of bland rear looks but surprising performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18
That is 2000 model, 2nd owner and has done 53k, Fully loaded. He said the best price he can offer is 2.8Lacs. and with 6months warranty. Which is same as what we get when buying a new car.Not sure i will be able to maintain that car..But i am very much impressed. Can any one advise on that pls.
2000 model means it is the pre-Lxi/Vxi model and 53K is not bad for 6 years. Maybe you could negotiate on the price. And also have a good mechanic check out the car to avoid any surprises later. Maintenance costs will ofcourse be higher than compact cars as it is a C-segmenter. But compared to other cars in its segment, it should be reasonable.

BTW, new cars come with 2years warranty. Atleast a new Baleno does.
Old 13th February 2007, 13:24   #42
BHPian

The biggest problem in this thread is that- You are comparing threee cars from a different leauge- The Swift comes in the premium segment of small cars, Santro- on the mid segment like the XETA.

Xeta is as safe as SWIFT in Build structure, Maybe even stronger, But lacks ABS, Air-Bags and other Safety features of SWIFT. Its built like a Tank.

Again the Baleno being suggested, Why buy a car that is shutting down production soon, and has outlived its prime.
Old 13th February 2007, 13:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
:-( Not sure why nobody is supporting Indica.Today again i went to a different showroom in Chennai and enquired about the discounts.

I would support, really IMHO, its the best vehicle for its price. Two of my colleagues have recently bought INDICA xeta 1.4 GLX.
You get a very spacious vehicle fully loaded for 3.7 OTR price , which has got 1.4 Ltr engine , produces more tourque than swift (124NM). It more drivable in city condition. Interiors have improved a lot. Two thing to still enquire about
1) FE ( as per feedback I got its around 10-12 in city)
2) TATA A.$.$

You save almost one lac as compared to swift. I would advice you to buy swift if you really dont mind spending one lac more as its surely more refind in all aspects when compared to xeta.
Old 13th February 2007, 15:09   #44
BANNED

I agree what Adi says, you can know a car by the test drives you take, TATA has come a long way in petrol cars. They are the only car company who are upgrading the overall look / engine / fit and finish and pricing is an icing on cake. Test drive any SUV's, TATA Safari Dicor beats them in any field, better looks, better performing engine, best A/C and on and on........, Xeta for instance has got the best upgraded engine, refined and refreshing interiors, great design, great comfort and what more is required. We should come out of the stigma that Suzuki or Hyundai are the only alternatives for small cars. Everyone INDIA has arrived and TATA's sure here to stay(Long time).
Old 13th February 2007, 16:06   #45
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I have a Santro (1 litre 2001 model) for the past almost 6 yrs. Its no doubt a fantastic city car but thats that. [...] The fuel efficiency isnt bad at all I recently got 13.x in the city with AC on most of the time. [...]
However, it doesnt have the power when you will need it.. Swift would certainly be a much better option.. I recently went to Ooty from Bangalore and this car was really crawling. I know its not fair but it did way below my expectations.
Bangalore-Ooty is a very sharp climb. Did you switch off the A/C? Otherwise you do not have a chance in hell of getting anything out of the 1-lit Santro.

You should also get your engine tuned for more pick-up if you want to do long drives. Your city mileage with A/C on (13.x) suggests that your car is tuned for mileage rather than pick-up. My city mileage with A/C on would be about 11-11.5 kmpl. On the highways, with my driving style I get 12-13 kmpl at full clip, and about 14-15 kmpl if I keep the car below about 110 kmph. My car has reasonable pick-up (I cribbed to the Hyundai dealer very early on about the pick-up and the car was tuned up a little).

I also use only Speed (makes a little difference from normal petrol) plus I have stock-size tubeless tyres overinflated by 4-5 psi for the highway runs. I am fairly happy with the way the car performs on the Pune-Mumbai route, including the Lonawala ghat section (although this is nothing compared to the Bangalore-Ooty climb).

Most Viewed