Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 02:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
DON'T BUY A PETROL HYUNDAI unless it is an automatic like the one in the Verna, where you simply cruise around completely relaxed. If it is a manual, that lethargic motor will definitely leave you disappointed. They don't enjoy being revved at all. In-fact even a new petrol Hyundai (atleast the ones we get here in India) feels almost like a 10 year old petrol engine from another car that is choked with carbon deposits, running low on oil, overheating, with out of shape valve shims, a bad sparkplug and a clogged airfilter. In my honest opinion, a Hyundai petrol feels so averse to being revved that it verges on unhealthy engine performance. The only way I can bring myself to recommend a petrol Hyundai to anyone, is if it comes with a nice smooth torque converter that you just leave in D and forget about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Hyundai i20 Petrol is underpowered for sure. Get the diesel if i20 is your choice.
That would've been perfect. Unfortunately, it's almost a lakh over budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Go for the discounted RS Baleno. Parts are mandated to be sold for 14 years after the car is discontinued, by government law. Maruti is not going anywhere and you can bet they wont let you down even if it means they have to import the parts for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
If you are considering Glanza why not get the Baleno RS. It has 1.5 lacs discount and would land it your budget. You will get best power without any compromise in FE.
Hyundai i20 Petrol is underpowered for sure. Get the diesel if i20 is your choice.
Glanza was initially being considered as it was approx ~70k cheaper than it's equivalent Baleno variant.
Also, because we've had a very good experience with Toyota after sales service so far.
Whereas the Maruti service center in my city (Sai) is notorious for overcharging customers and indulging in other shady practices.

I've heard stories like the following from more people than I can count.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...practices.html (Terrible Maruti's Sai Service quality vs VW B.U Bhandari's best practices)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-refunded.html (Sai Service Ripoff! Rs. 18,000 for service of Swift (22K kms) UPDATE: Excess refunded)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...heap-myth.html (Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!)

IMO it's quite a big risk to deal with these guys and especially so, if you own a car that's being discontinued. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I stated the other reasons for rejecting the RS here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinp View Post
Checked out Leoshashi's post.
If the decision was entirely upto me, I'd have considered going for the RS.
However, I might leave the country in a year or two for further studies, after which the car will only be used by my parents.

My dad wouldn't fancy ordering SGP parts from abroad if MGP parts are ever discontinued in India, nor would he be okay with waiting one week for MGP spares.
The high cost of maintenance is another thing that would put him off.

If I were to stay here and look after the car myself, it wouldn't be an issue.
IMO a few hassles here and there would still be worth it for being able to buy a brand new RS at this price.
But my dad, who only looks at cars from a utilitarian perspective, wouldn't appreciate the benefits of owning and RS and would prefer to buy a car with a hassle free ownership experience.
ashwinp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 09:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you're one for middle lane cruising on the highway, the i20 should do fine. Else the Glanza.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 10:24   #18

Quote:

After much research, I've finally narrowed down my choice to the following two cars - Hyundai Elite i20 Sportz+ and the Toyota Glanza G.
The reason for narrowing the choice down to these two is mainly due to my good experience with after sales service of both these brands as compared to other dealers in my city.
I bought the i20 Sportz+ CVT in June, 2019 and I must say that it has been a great ride. My daily office route allows me to cover 1km in every 5 minutes on average and had it not been for the 1.2L CVT, I would be a lot more frustrated in general. Granted, you won't get that extra punch of power but since you mentioned that your primary driving will be in the city, I would suggest going for the i20. The interior build quality will always please you whenever you get in the car. This might not sound too big a thing but it's these little things that make your ownership delightful.

Now, I know that going for the CVT will cost you approximately 1 Lakh extra but maybe if you can wait for the right time and offer to get a better price, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. Also, it will be of great convenience for your folks as well.

Just to put things into perspective, I was in the same situation as you were. I will also be leaving the country in the next couple of years for further studies and had a budget of 8.5 Lakhs as well but, when my dad and I drove the i20 CVT, it just had to be the one.

Regardless, i20 manual will still be a great pleasure to drive.

P.S. i20 looks so much better than the Jazz IMHO.
punny.guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My personal choice would be the Elite i20 which I still hold as the quality benchmark among B2 hatchbacks. It's a fantastic all-rounder & I appreciate Hyundai's attention to detail, finesse & part quality. The Baleno / Glanza are good hatchbacks too, but the i20 is a cut above IMHO.
Quote:
Agreed. But you'd pick the i20 over the Glanza even with all the equipment the former is missing in the Sportz+ variant?
YES is the implied answer.

When we speak of the I 20, diesel is what comes first to everyone’s mind. Others too have suggested you consider it.Looks like currently you don’t have a diesel car in your garage. The I 20 diesel is a gem.
You will NEVER regret choosing it over the petrol.

I understand it is a lakh over your budget. Why not spend one more when you’re already spending so many. .
In monthly EMI terms the difference would be forgiveable considering the pleasure you derive from the diesel engine.Even if yours is a outright purchase without any loans, the excess lakh spread over 8 to 10 years is perfectly justifiable.

Last edited by greendream : 1st October 2019 at 11:04. Reason: Spelling mistake
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:13   #20
BHPian

Having owned i20 1.2 for the past 4 years and 37000km , I would not recommend the car to anyone. The 1.2 engine is a misfit for the size and weight of the car. The car struggles to climb steep incline with full load and is a lethargic performer. It's a myth that Hyundai cars are cheaper to maintain like Maruti and Toyota. The wiper motor and clutch conked off with 37k on the odo and the repairs came out to be pretty expensive. On top of that the service team in the dealership tries to fleece you at every available opportunity. What goes in favour of i20 would be it's effortless driving , looks and Gizmo's on board the car. I have spent less than 1/3 on the maintenance on my Punto which is 9 years old with 90k on the odo compared to my 4 year old i20.
live2dream is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post

I understand it is a lakh over your budget. Why not spend one more when you’re already spending so many. .
In monthly EMI terms the difference would be forgiveable considering the pleasure you derive from the diesel engine.Even if yours is a outright purchase without any loans, the excess lakh spread over 8 to 10 years is perfectly justifiable.
Well said. This is the only reason i went for the diesel over the petrol.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:21   #22
BHPian

If you love to drive, then Hyundai 1.2 petrol will disappoint you. It's a lethargic engine which doen't really have any excitement for a driver. Glanza with weight advantage and Suzuki engine is more enjoyable to drive.
If you could wait till January 2020, Altroz would be an intersting option.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:22   #23
BHPian

We have the Gen-1 i20 Sportz 1.2 at home for about 8 years now and I agree with the comments the engine is super boring to drive. We actually picked it up due to an urgent requirement and never test drove the car. It was after we picked the car up and on the way home I realized this car was a mistake. It still remains one of the most boring cars I have driven and wouldn't recommend it to anyone who enjoys driving. I personally hate the steering as well, which in the Elite has gotten much much better.

Even 1 of my cousins picked up the i20 elite Sportz+ and quoted that since we had it for 8 years he thought it would be a good long term buy and he too regrets it primarily as it was supposed to be a family car carrying 4 folks - which even makes it slower.

We also had multiple quality issues with the car through the time we have had it - things like chrome wraps on the gear nob and door levers coming off, faux leather on the steering wearing off, paint quality deterioration and that too all in the first 3 years. Could just be our car but I feel the perception that Hyundai's quality is A+ is not the case for long term car ownership.

Some positives though - AC is stellar, space is very good, seats are comfortable, service experience on the whole has been positive. Some of the reasons we've kept it for 8 years and will keep it for another 1 or 2.
karan85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 12:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punny.guy View Post
The interior build quality will always please you whenever you get in the car. This might not sound too big a thing but it's these little things that make your ownership delightful.
Yeah, that's whats making me lean towards the i20. The only thing leaving me in doubt is the 1.2 petrol.

Quote:
Now, I know that going for the CVT will cost you approximately 1 Lakh extra but maybe if you can wait for the right time and offer to get a better price, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. Also, it will be of great convenience for your folks as well.

Just to put things into perspective, I was in the same situation as you were. I will also be leaving the country in the next couple of years for further studies and had a budget of 8.5 Lakhs as well but, when my dad and I drove the i20 CVT, it just had to be the one.

Regardless, i20 manual will still be a great pleasure to drive.
Yes, your situation does seem a lot like mine. But if I were to spend 1 lakh more, I think going for the diesel over the CVT would be a better choice. Neither my parents nor I prefer ATs over MTs anyway.
Thanks for your suggestion though, it was a good one.

Quote:
P.S. i20 looks so much better than the Jazz IMHO.
Anyday! I never liked the Jazz much TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
YES is the implied answer.

When we speak of the I 20, diesel is what comes first to everyone’s mind. Others too have suggested you consider it.Looks like currently you don’t have a diesel car in your garage. The I 20 diesel is a gem.
You will NEVER regret choosing it over the petrol.

Haha that's true. I've driven the i20 diesel and I loved it. I'll work out the total cost difference over 8-10 years and have a word with my dad.
P.S. I do have a diesel car in my garage btw, it's an '07 Innova 2.5 G that's still going strong :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2dream View Post
Having owned i20 1.2 for the past 4 years and 37000km , I would not recommend the car to anyone. The 1.2 engine is a misfit for the size and weight of the car. The car struggles to climb steep incline with full load and is a lethargic performer. It's a myth that Hyundai cars are cheaper to maintain like Maruti and Toyota. The wiper motor and clutch conked off with 37k on the odo and the repairs came out to be pretty expensive. On top of that the service team in the dealership tries to fleece you at every available opportunity. What goes in favour of i20 would be it's effortless driving , looks and Gizmo's on board the car. I have spent less than 1/3 on the maintenance on my Punto which is 9 years old with 90k on the odo compared to my 4 year old i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
We have the Gen-1 i20 Sportz 1.2 at home for about 8 years now and I agree with the comments the engine is super boring to drive. We actually picked it up due to an urgent requirement and never test drove the car. It was after we picked the car up and on the way home I realized this car was a mistake. It still remains one of the most boring cars I have driven and wouldn't recommend it to anyone who enjoys driving. I personally hate the steering as well, which in the Elite has gotten much much better.

Even 1 of my cousins picked up the i20 elite Sportz+ and quoted that since we had it for 8 years he thought it would be a good long term buy and he too regrets it primarily as it was supposed to be a family car carrying 4 folks - which even makes it slower.

We also had multiple quality issues with the car through the time we have had it - things like chrome wraps on the gear nob and door levers coming off, faux leather on the steering wearing off, paint quality deterioration and that too all in the first 3 years. Could just be our car but I feel the perception that Hyundai's quality is A+ is not the case for long term car ownership.

Some positives though - AC is stellar, space is very good, seats are comfortable, service experience on the whole has been positive. Some of the reasons we've kept it for 8 years and will keep it for another 1 or 2.
Noted. The only thing that concerns me is the performance of the 1.2 Petrol.
Collectively, in my family we have owned approx 9 Hyundai cars since 1998.
Not one of them ever needed any major repairs or had any issues as far as I can remember.
We also have a very good relationship with dealership and workshop and get a lot of special treatment.
So you can understand my family's inclination to go for another Hyundai car.

I think I'll try to work out some additional discounts from them on the 1.4 Diesel *fingers crossed*

Also, does anyone know the difference in service costs between the 1.2P and the 1.4D i20 say over a period of 10 years?
And is there any difference in tyre wear out?
Old 1st October 2019, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Have been told and read (in here as well as other forums) that Hyundai cars become expensive to maintain after 3 -4 years. The justification given was that it has a lot of electronics and may need repair/replacement which are costly. May be someone who has owned one for a period of 7 years will be able to comment or give a transparent review.

Moreover, the petrol engines of Hyundai are not as good as that of Suzuki's. Fit and finish, no doubt it is as good as the Germans. The new Nios has interiors which can shame a 15 Lakh worth Ciaz.
We own a 2012 Petrol i20, apart from huge petrol bills and sluggish engine there are no problems at all. The car has done 80k KM till now and we have just done preventive maintenance. Only thing which we replaced is the battery ( due to my mistake, left the cabin lamp on for weekend) and rear suspension. There are no complaints other wise and everything is in great condition.

The only grouse with i20 will always be that sluggish engine, it is slow and it saps fuel like nobody’s business in traffic. Glanza will be a much better option if you want to buy petrol only. For everything else, i20 trumps the Glanza hands down. Trust me, but you can see the difference between a 7 year old Swift and i20.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 12:23   #26

Quote:

Yes, your situation does seem a lot like mine. But if I were to spend 1 lakh more, I think going for the diesel over the CVT would be a better choice. Neither my parents nor I prefer ATs over MTs anyway.
Thanks for your suggestion though, it was a good one.
I guess you can do that as well. My primary need was to get a good Automatic car that drives well so I went for the CVT but, going for the Diesel engine is probably the better option if you're comfortable in driving a Manual. It'll be really fun to drive and with the low NVH levels of the i20, the cabin will still feel great.

Wishing you the best in whatever option you choose!!
punny.guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 12:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Trust me, but you can see the difference between a 7 year old Swift and i20.
Built quality and fit & finish is what separates it from Baleno & Glanza. But as you said the heart of the matter is too weak compared to that of the Japanese counterpart.

Eventually, a petrol Hyundai will be like a white elephant which looks good but has eaten up a lot of your corns.

There has been news of some paint quality issues, but not that it wont be supported by an able Hyundai After Sales Support.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 14:15   #28
BHPian

I haven't driven the i20 so I cannot comment on that but I have test driven a Glanza AT so I can give you some info. The car itself drives smoothly, it's comfortable and quality is fine. It's just that since its based on the Baleno, safety can be questionable. However, if the Glanza is not going to be taken on the highway and will be used in the city only, then the Glanza is actually nice. However, steering is quite dead. There's just no feel to it at all. If you want to build up speed, you will get the typical CVT rubber band effect where there's noise and not much buildup in speed.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 15:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I haven't driven the i20 so I cannot comment on that but I have test driven a Glanza AT so I can give you some info. The car itself drives smoothly, it's comfortable and quality is fine. It's just that since its based on the Baleno, safety can be questionable. However, if the Glanza is not going to be taken on the highway and will be used in the city only, then the Glanza is actually nice. However, steering is quite dead. There's just no feel to it at all. If you want to build up speed, you will get the typical CVT rubber band effect where there's noise and not much buildup in speed.
Yeah I test drove the CVT version too since MT car wasn't available with the dealer on that day.
I didn't really like the CVT due to the rubber band effect.
I was more interested in knowing how the G (Baleno Zeta Dualjet) variant performs.
Old 1st October 2019, 16:27   #30
BHPian

This is the worst dilemma that you could ever be in while shopping for hatches.
For me, it's quite simple:
Maruti has better engine, better design, better space, better resale, cheaper maintenance, etc etc.
But i bought the Hyundai i20 for my wife only after asking myself 1 question: Which car would be safer for my family in an event of a crash(even if it's at the speed of 40-50 in city limits).
Maruti is basically a spec sheet winner. You're not buying a mobile phone or a laptop that all you have to do is just get the better specced one. Safety matters!
DeepakS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks