Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 16:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?

Although you did mention that your budget is 8.5L On road, i'd still like to suggest the following which would be a game changer in your equation:
Honda Amaze(S) 1.5 Diesel CVT. This car is INR 9.5Lacs on road(after discount) in Panaji. Just spending 1 lac more you'd be getting a superior car with super space, better engine(1.5), better gearbox(Honda CVT), a new form factor and at the end of the day, it's a sedan! Safety part is well taken care of by Honda. It won't come with alloy wheels or a navigation system but those can be added later as and when the budget allows. The 1 lac that you'd spend extra would easily be negated by the tremendous fuel efficiency of the diesel motor. Think about it, it makes a lot of sense.
DeepakS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Although you did mention that your budget is 8.5L On road, i'd still like to suggest the following which would be a game changer in your equation:
Not a bad suggestion, but if I'm spending 1 lakh more, I think I'd rather go for the i20 1.4 Diesel.
That way I'll also get all the features the amaze is missing like alloy wheels and a nav system.

And just an FYI for everyone suggesting diesel cars here, the yearly running of this car will not be more than 8000km under any circumstances.
Do y'all think it's still worth going for a diesel?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st October 2019 at 17:28. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 1st October 2019, 20:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinp View Post
And just an FYI for everyone suggesting diesel cars here, the yearly running of this car will not be more than 8000km under any circumstances.
Do y'all think it's still worth going for a diesel?
Nope, it doesn't add up. BUT, the main problem is the 4m< and 1.2L petrol engine that is the bane of this segment.

Jazz/i20/Polo (not GT) have sub-par petrol engine for price band but superior diesel counterpart. The K12 is one of the few bright spots in this segment.

My recommendation: i20 Diesel >>> i20 Petrol CVT >>> GLanza G >>> i20 Sportz Petrol MT

With i20 Diesel, you get the same engine as entry level Creta diesel. If you do exceed budget, it has to be for this car only.
highlander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 23:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
If you do exceed budget, it has to be for this car only.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
My recommendation: i20 Diesel >>> i20 Petrol CVT >>> GLanza G >>> i20 Sportz Petrol MT
Just out of curiosity, why'd you rate the i20 CVT > Glanza > i20 MT?
Don't the CVT and MT both have the same 1.2L Petrol motor?
ashwinp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

If you can hold for a few months a petrol Brezza is around the corner. I reckon the vxi version should be within your budget since the diesel is around 9.5. For a petrol for me it has to be Japanese. Toyota experience would be good too.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd October 2019 at 14:43.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 15:05   #36
BHPian

I have the facelifted Grandi10 and the engine gearbox combo is a gem that will be hard to beat by the two cars you are considering. Had test driven the Elite i20 back then and have also driven a friend's Baleno. My sincere advise is do not go for either of these cars. The only reason to go for the Elite i20 would have been the 6 airbags which is anyways only on the top end model. The interiors are nice but honestly, the fascination will wear off in a few months and the end result will be another car in the garage with the same engine. It really is not that much of an upgrade to the Grandi10, especially in the lower variants. As far as the Baleno/Glanza goes, the car has a magical ability to pick up dings and scratches unlike anything I have seen before. Less said about the build the better. I suggest wait for the Altroz or get a C SUV (your dad may especially like the ease of ingress and egress) or sedan so you have something that can serve a different purpose compared to the i10.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 23:47   #37
BHPian

Hey. We have a 2009 i20 1.2 Asta (O). It was used as a second car, for grocery and hitting the tennis courts etc (It's currently in Kerala, being used at my grandparents'). We own a bigger car for long trips. I'm assuming you plan a similar arrangement at home.

The engine is a little sluggish, sure, but it's been absolutely fine as a city runaround. It's also very refined, with no jerking in or between gears, regardless of engine RPM. I'm sure your dad will appreciate this aspect (Since you're planning to leave the country). It won't feel as nippy as the Glanza but it's adequate.

Maintenance was occasionally a little expensive though but my dad was a little generous, especially when I was not around to scrutinise (Major replacements include rear suspension components and P/S ECU (Felt like we got duped with the latter)). Whenever I pitched in, the SAs would back off. I'd suggest being careful about this, but then again, you already own a Hyundai. Also, this was only in Mumbai and the service center in Kerala was way more reasonable (Maybe just the dealer?).

I personally feel the car is way better built than the Baleno/Glanza. The build quality feels comparatively more European.

Maybe you can get lucky and find yourself a low mileage Elite Asta (O)? If you're looking at pre-owned that is. It's always nice to have more airbags.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:24   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
I have the facelifted Grandi10 and the engine gearbox combo is a gem that will be hard to beat by the two cars you are considering.
I suggest wait for the Altroz or get a C SUV (your dad may especially like the ease of ingress and egress) or sedan so you have something that can serve a different purpose compared to the i10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
Hey. We have a 2009 i20 1.2 Asta (O).
Maybe you can get lucky and find yourself a low mileage Elite Asta (O)? If you're looking at pre-owned that is. It's always nice to have more airbags.
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
The used car market in Goa is nothing to talk about, but I'll still have a look and see if I can get any good deals.

Also, just so that I gain some perspective, has anyone compared the build quality of the Grand i10 to the Glanza/Baleno?
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Also, just so that I gain some perspective, has anyone compared the build quality of the Grand i10 to the Glanza/Baleno
Hyundai cars are better built than the MS cars. Post 5-7 years Hyundai cars hold themselves well whereas MS will have dents and rattles.

There are exceptions too and biggest being how one keeps their car. I know a Baleno owner who has crossed 80k Kms and the car has 0 rattles.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a bad suggestion, but if I'm spending 1 lakh more, I think I'd rather go for the i20 1.4 Diesel.
That way I'll also get all the features the amaze is missing like alloy wheels and a nav system.

He suggested Amaze diesel CVT, not manual. i20 does not have diesel automatic. So it is not a one to one comparison.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:06   #41
BHPian

Since both suit your budget, do multiple test drives of both and see what you like.
The Baleno(Glanza) K12B felt more revv happy than the K12C Booster Jet after driving both. This is just in a driver's perspective. This is definitely a better driver oriented car.

The Elite i20 is definitely better in terms of interior quality and things are well put together. It will age better for sure!

Just weigh out your priorities and decide. If I were you, I'd consider the Swift in a driving enthusiasm point of view. Way better than the Baleno or Glanza, which feel soggy in comparison.
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed.

Just out of curiosity, why'd you rate the i20 CVT > Glanza > i20 MT?
Don't the CVT and MT both have the same 1.2L Petrol motor?
Knowing the CVT characteristics can help you mask the engine characteristics to certain extent.
Apart from spirited driving, CVT works butter smooth for all other driving scenarios.
highlander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 09:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Honda Amaze(S) 1.5 Diesel CVT. This car is INR 9.5Lacs on road(after discount) in Panaji. Just spending 1 lac more you'd be getting a superior car with super space, better engine(1.5), better gearbox(Honda CVT), a new form factor and at the end of the day, it's a sedan! Safety part is well taken care of by Honda. It won't come with alloy wheels or a navigation system but those can be added later as and when the budget allows. The 1 lac that you'd spend extra would easily be negated by the tremendous fuel efficiency of the diesel motor. Think about it, it makes a lot of sense.
I own Jazz CVT ,my dad owns I-20 CVT as his secondary car and my BIL owns Baleno petrol manual.
I had test driven Amaze diesel CVT, the car never felt premium from the inside. Its a pseudo sedan. I liked Jazz diesel much better with better seating comfort but no cvt on their diesel models.

Another issue with Honda is they never acknowledge the warranty issues easily. The body panels are soft and prone to dings easily. The bumper panel gap keeps increasing with use. You can search online.

The "Honda Quality" quotient is no longer existing. Everything looks good in showroom and the story ends there

Quality of material :
i20 no doubt. Even though Jazz weights more than 1 ton, the body panels are not strong. I think its similar to Baleno and both are prone to dings from stones.

Mileage :
Jazz cvt: 13-14 inside city and 17-19 at highway cruising speeds. Mileage drops to 10 with heavy traffic and I was even able to achieve 21 for a 400 kms trip. Mileage varies with load and speed.
I20 CVT: 7-8 inside city, 11-12 on Mumbai roads. 13-14 on highways , she has just completed 2k kms
Baleno manual: easily 15 inside city and above 20 on highways

Comfort:
I love Jazz seating position, may be I have got used to it, no back pain even If I drive for more than 1000 kms a day.
Myself and BIL get slight back pain if we drive more than 300 kms on Baleno. Seating is not that great.
Seating in I20 is also good but I've never driven more than 50 kms, so cannot comment on this.

I will prefer i10 nios over all the above cars due to the smaller footprint and similar engine specs. Wait for 3-4 months and get hold of the i10 turbo model

Last edited by rahulskumar : 4th October 2019 at 09:18.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 21:04   #44
BHPian

I've been driving i20 petrol for over a year now and i won't comment on mileage since it is a trade off with better build quality. To some extent i do agree with the fact that it is slightly underpowered below 2k rpm only if you put things in perspective. That being said the car is so well put together be it dashboard, instrument cluster, refinement that it has certain feel good factor which feels like a gentle breeze after a hectic day at work. This trait is exclusive to this car alone.

On open highways you'll find it extremely stable and at par with pricier sedans. I am not sure of dualjet glanza as i haven't driven one but i am sure it won't disappoint either. Happy hunting!
Abby92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 22:17   #45
RMN
BHPian

If the vehicle is going to be used mostly by your parents, then I'd say go for the i20 itself. From the specs listed in your initial post, I'm guessing the "5 kmpl higher mileage" is the only feature your parents might be interested about in the Glanza over the i20. If they aren't too keen on that fuel efficiency advantage, i20 makes sense considering its supposedly a more safer car that the Glanza.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks