Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 00:35   #1
BHPian

Space and comfort at 4-5 lakhs

My Dad (age 50+) wants to buy a car. His first priority is comfort and space in the rear seat. He is willing to spend at most 5 lakhs, but will be happier if something gives more bang for the buck. Somehow he is inclined towards Diesel cars, although, I know he wouldn't be traveling more than 600-800 kms per month.

Maintenance costs is the 2nd priority, and resale value 3rd. The car would mostly be driven by a driver, but I think, getting the WagonR automatic is also a good idea, as if he has to learn / drive occasionally. But, he hates Maruti vehicles, feels that they are all too cramped. Indica Diesel is his dream car, for he's been in it umpteen number of times, and has liked it. But, I feel a TATA vehicle would be too costly to maintain considering his occasional use. Could you help me out here?
  • Cars short listed -
    WagonR, Xeta, Indica, Indigo, Swift
  • Price range - upto 4-5 lakhs.
  • I guess, resale isn't too important, as he will keep it for 5 years at least. But, I think, Indica Diesel will die away after 5 years, so getting a newer model like Swift will be a good idea.
Old 20th February 2007, 06:31   #2
BANNED

Get an Indica if Space and comfort is the priority.But I don't think it makes sense to go for a diesel car for this low KMS.
Old 20th February 2007, 06:56   #3
BHPian

My friends told me that with all the Discounts in bangalore, you should be able to get swift VXi around 4.5 L.
I also believe the back seats are pretty comfortable.
Or else you could also go for Getz, it's supposed to have very good Interiors.
Old 20th February 2007, 09:38   #4
BHPian

Going by the cars you shortlisted it gotta be some TATA car but they are not that refined.

And in petrol, SWIFT is not comfortable at rear so strongly consider Aveo UVA .... maintenance is also not much and GM is offering 1 lakh kms warranty free on the car.
Old 20th February 2007, 09:39   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I faced the same situation a couple of months back; the only difference being that the expected running was 2000+ kms a month and the usage was decidedly rough.

For chauffeur-driven cars with comfort and economy, there is nothing to beat the Indigo. Go for it....your father will be a happy man on the back seat.
Old 20th February 2007, 10:05   #6
BHPian

Why not consider the Getz as well - great space and comfort, and quite easy to drive. Maintenance from Hyundai would also be cheap and easy.
Old 20th February 2007, 10:10   #7
BHPian

If your folks are not in an immediate need basis (i.e can wait for a few more weeks) the Mahindra Logan may be the right answer too

regards
Old 20th February 2007, 10:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Indigo. Or if you are willing to take a little risk take the Logan this April.
Old 20th February 2007, 10:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Since rear seat comfort is a priority, u could go for the Ikon Flair, which comes in at 5.49L on road Bangalore. Among the best in terms of rear seat comfort, dated looks which still manage to thrill and among the best in terms of handling. Since maintenance and resale have been given lower priorities according to you, my suggestion for the same.

Please let me know if u have any further queries on the same. While there are people who advise against Ford, there any people who love their Fords' too.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:30   #10
BHPian

Since according to you, your father is pretty comfortable with the Tata Indica according to the size and comfort. I think going for the Indigo might be a better option given you have a budget for it.

Its Diesel, has good back seat comfort and will be easy to maintain given the cost of the spares plus you get a boot at premium hatchback prices.

As others have suggested, if you can wait for a while, wait for the Logan to launch. If nothing else, it will enable you to get some more discounts for the Indigo since that is the car that might be most hit on the launch of the Logan.

Hope I have added more to your confusion.

-Sumit
Old 20th February 2007, 11:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Indigo diesel is a good idea considering his requirements. I wouldnt recommend a Swift for someone who is going to be occupying the rear seat most of the time.

Maintenance costs on an Indica/go are not high at all if the vehicle is well maintained periodically. Ask for extended warranty.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Its a no brainer pal, Indigo Diesel - eyes closed.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why not the Ikon flair ? far better than the indigo & certainly not a lottery. It is quite a proven car in India too.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Indigo DICOR. Go for the LS/LX. The SX simply costs too much, IMHO. Petrol is not worth buying (unless the DOHC is made available).
Old 20th February 2007, 11:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why not the Ikon flair ? far better than the indigo & certainly not a lottery. It is quite a proven car in India too.
Now we're talking.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks