Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2019, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Get the Hyundai Elite i20 now, or wait for the next-gen model?

We are looking to purchase a car for my sister's family, for city runabouts. Checked the Venue and came out unimpressed. Observations here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4689161 (Hyundai Venue : Official Review)

Local dealer has offered 70k discount on the OTR price for the Sportz variant, which I think is a good deal. Current Sportz variant is features packed.

Personally, I don't prefer models that are at EOL.

What do you guys think? Should I wait for the new i20 which is expected to be launched at 2020 Auto expo?
Old 9th November 2019, 16:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Get the Hyundai Elite i20 now, or wait for the next-gen model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
W
Local dealer has offered 70k discount on the OTR price for the Sportz variant, which I think is a good deal. Current Sportz variant is features packed.

Personally, I don't prefer models that are at EOL.

What do you guys think? Should I wait for the new i20 which is expected to be launched at 2020 Auto expo?
If it's a petrol you are looking for, do note the new i20 might sport the 1.0L turbo petrol from venue atleast in higher variants pushing the price further upwards. Price difference between 1.2 S Venue vs 1.0 S is 1L currently. Going by similar logic i20 sportz might get 1L dearer. Add this 70k discount to that and you are looking at around 2L more OTR for the 2020 i20.

Btw you said venue didn't impress in rear seating, i20 is more or less similar. How's that working for you?

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th November 2019 at 16:39.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 17:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
If it's a petrol you are looking for, do note the new i20 might sport the 1.0L turbo petrol from venue atleast in higher variants pushing the price further upwards. Price difference between 1.2 S Venue vs 1.0 S is 1L currently. Going by similar logic i20 sportz might get 1L dearer. Add this 70k discount to that and you are looking at around 2L more OTR for the 2020 i20.

Btw you said venue didn't impress in rear seating, i20 is more or less similar. How's that working for you?
And I think the BS6 transitioned 1.2 will be devoid of punchier(if at all the i20 has one) tune along with lower fuel efficiency. No plans to go for 1.0 turbo, as first, my BIL is a sedate driver, and then I'm averse to 3 cylinder engines, as I believe they don't age well and make all sort of noises under varied driving conditions.

Regarding seating space in comparison to Venue - As I mentioned in that post, the whole cabin experience was wrong at so many levels, and more pronounced at the back seat. When I went to check out the Venue, I was ready to make certain compromises as I was bowled over by its design. But this compromise will be too stupid to make, despite our love for the special cars.

The Nios' backseat was quite comfortable, but the new trend of integrated Infotainment was not to my taste and the overall design was a let down as well.

I hope the integrated Infotainment doesn't become the norm for all the cars like in the Nios and the Seltos. They appear so thoughtless like the Internet Inside badge on the MG Hector.

After the Venue and Nios experience, I also felt that newer is not always better. And cars have come to a saturation point except for the drivetrain figures and gizmos.

Looks like I will go with the current i20.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 9th November 2019 at 18:03.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
We are looking to purchase a car for my sister's family, for city runabouts. Checked the Venue and came out unimpressed.....
I am in similar situation. My brother-in-law is also seriously considering i20 sportz+ petrol currently. He is located in Chennai. 70k discount was quoted by dealer plus around 30k for his 16 year old santro. Comes to around 7.0 lakhs on road. This variant is feature packed like you said but lacks adjustable rear headrests. This is the single reason why my brother in law is going for the dualtone sportz+ variant. You get some more additional goodies like wireless charger for extra 30k. Kindly consider this before deciding on single tone variant. Good luck
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I am in similar situation. My brother-in-law is also seriously considering i20 sportz+ petrol currently. He is located in Chennai. 70k discount was quoted by dealer plus around 30k for his 16 year old santro. Comes to around 7.0 lakhs on road. This variant is feature packed like you said but lacks adjustable rear headrests. This is the single reason why my brother in law is going for the dualtone sportz+ variant. You get some more additional goodies like wireless charger for extra 30k. Kindly consider this before deciding on single tone variant. Good luck
If he is willing to pay the extra 30k over the Sportz variant, he should consider the Asta variant which also has the current ongoing 80k discount or offer or whatever. I'm considering the Asta variant as well.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 07:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
If he is willing to pay the extra 30k over the Sportz variant, he should consider the Asta variant which also has the current ongoing 80k discount or offer or whatever. I'm considering the Asta variant as well.
Already stretching our budget to get the sportz+ dualtone. Asta(o) is way beyond our reach!
I am unhappy with feature distribution by Hyundai - adjustable rear headrests, rear wiper, defogger etc aren't luxury features in my book.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Already stretching our budget to get the sportz+ dualtone. Asta(o) is way beyond our reach!
I am unhappy with feature distribution by Hyundai - adjustable rear headrests, rear wiper, defogger etc aren't luxury features in my book.
Thank you. I was not aware of the Dual Tone Sports variant, till you pointed it out. Looks like it has some niceties such as 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels, rear headrest, etc.

For 70k more, you get the Curtain airbags, ACC, rear handrest, Projector headlamps, Leather steering wheel and Gear knobs, etc. Family and kids will love all these. This variant makes more sense if your BIL plans to hold on to the car for a longer period. The stretch will be worth it for everyone in the family and the kids. A few months of conservative spending will help to offset the stretch.
Old 10th November 2019, 10:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I was not aware of the Dual Tone Sports variant, till you pointed it out. Looks like it has some niceties such as 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels, rear headrest, etc.
You are welcome. Yes, Dual Tone gets 16" Diamond cut alloys against the 15" Gun metal alloy that the Single Tone Sportz+ variant gets.

Quote:
For 70k more, you get the Curtain airbags, ACC, rear handrest, Projector headlamps, Leather steering wheel and Gear knobs, etc. Family and kids will love all these. This variant makes more sense if your BIL plans to hold on to the car for a longer period. The stretch will be worth it for everyone in the family and the kids. A few months of conservative spending will help to offset the stretch.
If the car was for me, I'd have done what you suggested- gone for Asta(o) variant. Though, I'm a bit skeptical about Keyless entry and Push button start/stop.
However, this is for my in-laws (no kids in the picture, yet) with a tight budget. I had to really push hard to make them go for Sportz+ DT while they were initially hell-bent on the Magna variant . Father-in-law and brother-in-law are fairly tall (about 6 feet) and still they weren't getting my point about the necessity of adjustable rear headrests. Convinced them somehow after lot of cajoling!

Last edited by srvm : 10th November 2019 at 10:28.
Old 11th November 2019, 08:00   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Get the Hyundai Elite i20 now, or wait for the next-gen model?

Would definitely recommend waiting for the next-gen which is just around the corner. No harm in waiting. As with most new generations, it'll be a superior car. Worst case, if you don't like what you see (or the price), you can always buy old stock of the current model from a dealer.

Quote:
And I think the BS6 transitioned 1.2 will be devoid of punchier(if at all the i20 has one) tune along with lower fuel efficiency.
Not necessarily. Just drove the S-Presso and its 1.0L BS6 is as good as (if not better than) the earlier version of the engine.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks