Team-BHP - WagonR or Swift?(calling swift and wagonR owners)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   WagonR or Swift?(calling swift and wagonR owners) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/21581-wagonr-swift-calling-swift-wagonr-owners.html)

This thread is related to my previous thread which was closed earlier with a conclusion that the car that best suits my requirement is WagonR.

Thanks for suggesting wagonR. I also feel its a very good car.

But i am still not able to take swift out of my mind. so again i decided to take opinions of you all.
My usage is not going to be much(1000-1500). weekend city travel and highways(yes i like to travel often..) So FE should not be a problem at all.(hoping that Swift gives a highway FE of 16+)
I can stretch upto 4.5. so that means i can go upto Swift vxi. but for the same amount, i can get top end wagonR which surely has more features than that of swift.plus say alloys and music system if possible..

but wagonR has its own issues(my wife doesnt like its shape..so i have lots of convincing to do)

Since i plan to keep this car for long, if u were in my shoes(shoes of a new driver) where would have you put your money?

I want a car which is safe on highways. so how safe is a swift without features like ABS,airbags etc..compared to wagonR which comes loaded with all the features(like ABS etc..)

I am waiting for the budget to be announced before i make a decision..so by then i am hoping that i can decide what to buy

thanks

Its very simple. If you can afford Swift, go for it. I have driven both (i actually own a wagonR). Driving Swift after the wagonR felt like graduating from cycle to bike. You will love the driving experience more in Swift. The features in top end version of WagonR arn't much to write home about. Not even power windows for rear! On the other hand, Swift Lxi (base version) comes with HVAC and Power steering. The *only* thing missing is the Power windows. If it is so much important for you, you can install it later on as and when your budget permits.

So my advice: Swift LXi

Having owned a Wagon R for close to 5 years before upgrading to a swift, here's my take.

Good things about the Wagon R vis-a-vis the Swift
1. City driving. The Wagon R is really much more convenient
2. Low speed performance : pulling power better than the Swift.
3. Boot space : Much more flexibility. Flat bed with the folded seats unlike the swift + Split rear seat folding make it very convenient in in those odd situations with big suitcases and one passenger in the rear.
4. Better seating posture (straight back). Hence does not fatigue on long drives.

Good things about the Swift vis-a-vis the Wagon R.
1. Much better gear shift.
2. Wider. Relatively more comfortable for 3 passengers in the rear. The swift also does not have the problem of the driver often hitting the front seat passengers leg while shifting to 2nd gear.
3. Feels very stable and planted on the road on highways.
4. Better cushioning of the seats.
5. Better ground clearance
6. Better rear view mirrors (visibility)

Cheers

Interesting...

U had suggested wagonR initially and after i asked this question, you are saying Swift is a better option.

Thanks alot.

I too like to opt for swift but am worried abt the safety of this car without any added features...

i am aware that with all the features added, this will be out of my reach. thats why i tried to compare it with wagonR which for the same price will come with ABS, airbags etc..

Again, it is worth going for a LXI model and adding power windows+key less entry or better to go for VXI?

Adding Power windows + central locking + keyless entry will take you a further 18K atleast. Also, however neatly done, after-market fittings will never be as good as factory fitted ones.

Added to that Vxi has a lot of useful nicknacks which while invidually can be dispensed with, collectively they form quite a good package.

First off you have the tachometer which will be quite a useful addition for a newbie driver. Also the seatbelt warning lamp will ensure that you acquire the habit of fastening yourself before you start the car. And the lights off reminder, door ajar lamp and key not removed buzzer are all small additions in the Vxi instrument panel which will aid you frequently.

And since you indicated that you will be doing frequent highway travel, the day/night rearview mirror and the left ORVM (which Maruti shouldn't have removed in the Lxi) will be all the more useful. These come only in the Vxi. These ofcourse can be added later but still nothing like a factory installed one. And finally when you do decide to sell it a Vxi has a much better resale value than an Lxi. How many Lxi's do you see on the road..

All things considered if you decide to go for a swift I think you should go for a Vxi. With discounts you should be able to get it for 4.55L here in B'lore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 378853)
U had suggested wagonR initially and after i asked this question, you are saying Swift is a better option.

Thanks alot.

But you must not have told me in that thread that your budget permitted base model of Swift... isnt it?

Quote:

Again, it is worth going for a LXI model and adding power windows+key less entry or better to go for VXI?
Its always better to go with factory fitted pw. Aftermarket/dealer installations are prone to failure and are far more unreliable (atleast that whats i have heard)
The bottom line comes to your budget. If you can afford it, go for it. The higher version the better.

BUT.. do keep in mind that Swift is going to give you about 2-3kmpl less than the wagonR.

S-W-I-F-T all the way... Definately pick it over the WagonR. No comparisons needed

rajshenoy,

The fact that the Swift has stuck in your mind should be sufficient cause for you to consider the Swift. Also that its a more accomplised car than the WagonR- whose owners pl note: no offense.

Swift is any day safer than Wagon R.... goodies like ABS, Airbags not withstanding. Swift is built like a tank, weighs more than Baleno, meets the latest European NCAP safety ratings with 4-5 stars... The goodies do make a difference, but the basic structural integrity of Swift is quite good. So to are normal brakes (if you upsize the tyres). It inspires loads of confidence while cornering at high speeds.
WagonR is smaller, you sit closer to the dash, it has a higher center of gravity so you risk skidding at high speed under rainy conditions, it has a disaster of an A pillar which blocks visibility. Its in a lower segment engine wise, brake wise, fuel tank wise, space wise, comfort wise, and almost in all aspects.
My vote---------> Swift.

I own a WagonR... Fantastic car... But my suggestion is... IF YOU HAVE BUDGET, go for the Swift...

Although wagonR is a nice car in itself, IMHO, the Swift is more modern in most aspects... If you have the budget, pick up the Swift...

Of the three versions of Swift, i'd say the best option is the Swift VXi...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 378774)
but wagonR has its own issues(my wife doesnt like its shape..so i have lots of convincing to do)

IF looks alone is the reason for ur wife to dislike the WAGON-R, check out the ESTILO.

A Swift is any day a safer and superior car than the Wagon R. Just go for it. You will never regret your decision.

Thanks guys for wonderful response. you have made me much more confident towards picking up swift..

Another Quick question, i scanned this forum for issues with swift and i found quite a few threads discussing about the rattling issues/clutch issues etc...

i heard that the initial swifts had this rattling issues which were sorted out at a later stage..

But what about the clutch problems? Maruti A.S.S is suppose to be very good..but Swift seems to be so un-maruti-ish...in this aspect..is it true?

Also as Dceite pointed out, FE will be lesser than that of wagonR. well if i want to buy a bigger car, i guess i ll have to sacrifice something..so no regrets..

but can i expect something in the range of 12 in bangalore city(typical weekend traffic) and say 16+ on highways(i dont usually drive rash..say max 100+)

That is one aspect where i thought of droping Getz which i think is very big(drinks like a big car too) when it comes to mileage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbr (Post 379118)
IF looks alone is the reason for ur wife to dislike the WAGON-R, check out the ESTILO.

As mentioned above, take ur wife along to the Maruti showroom... show her the Estilo, which she wud hate anyways, and then present the Swift !! She wud definitely love it then.

Swift is a great car, and the Vxi is the version to go for. All the reasons for the same have already been enlightened above. If ur budget can be stretched, do go in for the Swift. It beats buying the Wagon-R and then lamenting over a Swift everytime u see one, which is quite often here in Bangalore. :Cheering:

Ok i have a Question.
If your not much of an Highway guy, which would you prefer for city driving Swift or Santro or Wagon R....THOUGHTS????