Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Buying Adventure sport over Swift VDi

Planning to buy Formula Red Adventure Sport 1.6 at 5.31 L OTR after hefty discounts for 2006 model. Nearly 85K offer overall. I test drove the Swift Vdi(Diesel) also which comes at 5.33 OTR. Except for its extraordinary mileage and handling capacilities, I dod not like the following
1. Seating Position (Both in front where you feel like a frog and the rear where you feel you are really sitting on a bench)
2.Driving position without an option to even adjust the steering position.
3. The suspension felt very hard spoiling the ride comfort especially when you sit in the back seat (Probably becaouse i have been spoilt by my 6 yr olf Fiat UNO suspension.)
4. Maruti has just decide that people buying diesel do not need alloys, height adjustable seats and all those small things that feels good. (Common man after paying 5.3L they think you shd buy a digital clock as an accessory!!! leave alone the rear parcel shelf and side/bumper rubber strips and a whole lot of things)
5. THis might be sort of personal choice but the steering wheel and for that case the whole interiors looked so cheap that you would always want to get out of the car as soon as possible. Maybe they thought you should do that and thereby save money!!!!

I had earlier thought of the safari but could not handle the vehicle with only 1500 rpm range to play with. So decided not to go for that.

THe adventure a fully loaded vehicle (except music system and immobiliser). Ask for anything and you have it on the adventure. Little worried about the availability of spare parts since i dont think this vehicle will sell much in the indian market. But did not have a choice other that the Swift (D) but there too i felt they were making us look like fools by charging so mucha nd not giving us much. Look at the interiors of the european swift. That will tell you how much you should have been getting.
Old 23rd February 2007, 10:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your choice gemi. However, do take a closer look. All things being the same, the Adventure scores over the Swift VDi anyday as a machine. However, your being based in Trivandrum may cause some problems. Would suggest you wait and take a long look before committing to Fiat. If you were in Mumbai / Pune I would not have asked you to be so circumspect. At the prices you are quoting there is no competition - only if you are ready to deal with one of the most wretched car manufacturer in India.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Apples and oranges my friend!

The adventure is a brilliant car- no doubt- in fact plonk in a 1.9 JTD under that hood, and it would be THE ideal car for India!

Alas, same cannot be said for sales support. the parts are unavailable most of the times, the Tata guys still dont understand this brilliant car and ownership experience can be very "interesting". So if you have the patience of a saint, go for this beauty. else play safe and buy a swift.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:22   #4
BHPian

From one FIAT owner to another (possible) one .. I'd say it's all worth it ... And I don't even own an Adventure .. mine is a modest little 1.2NV.

Mmmmmmm .. 100bhp.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Try the Indigo DICOR Dude
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:36   #6
BHPian

Just for the suspension, forget everything else, go for the Adventure. For 5 lac you are getting a ride of cars that sell for 10 lac and beyond!!
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:39   #7
BHPian

Did you had a look at fusion? Though it more expensive and A$$ is not as good as maruti but it is not as bad as Fiat either. Fusion might suit all you needs. Give it a try.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all for all the quick responses.

Apples and Oranges!!! I like that one.

NO TATA Vehicles. They lack so much in quality. THough the prices seem to be ok for the stuff they give.

Fusion...We have one at home. It rocks like a boat. But the Drive is cool with the 1.6 Petrol engine. The interiors and the options they give will spoil you to the core that you wont like any other car you see (Except the CIVIC!!!) Value for money car at the new price.
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I had earlier thought of the safari but could not handle the vehicle with only 1500 rpm range to play with. So decided not to go for that.
Don't write it off, I had the same apprehensions initially (since I drive a Fiesta 1.6 as well) but am really enjoying the experience now. The narrow power band does not bother me, you just need to adapt your driving style to the vehicle that's all.

If you are still bent on making a choice between the two you've shortlisted, I'd say go for the Adventure with your eyes closed.....its real VFM and looks good as well.

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

If you are worried about TATA A.S.S, you will find FIAT much worse.
If A.S.S. even remotely figures in your buying criteria unless you are sure of a reliable service center.
In all probability your adventure will be serviced by TATA staff.
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
3. The suspension felt very hard spoiling the ride comfort especially when you sit in the back seat (Probably becaouse i have been spoilt by my 6 yr olf Fiat UNO suspension.)
If you are owning a Fiat for last 6 years, then go ahead with it eyes closed. You already know what to expect and what not to. Car per car, Adventure is THE beast, beyond any comparison in its segment.
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes man...a BEAST indeed!!!! I'm almost getting paranoid with that Formula Red car lying in the showroom. But my logical part of pulling me towards more mileage, new technology engine, better service, better resale.

BUT I MIGHT END UP TAKING A EMOTIONAL DECISION!!! coz otherwise i'll feel really bad when i see someone else driving that car!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:48   #13
BHPian

I agree with RX,you've had the uno for a long time,so you've been there done that.If you are happy with the UNO and most importantly are happy with the service being dished out to you,then you can consider the Fiat.
But yes,spares seem to be a problem as yet,especially if you are not in mumbai or pune.
The Adventure cannot be compared to Swift VDI in any way except one -fuel economy.You have'nt mentioned what kind of running your new car would be doing.The adventure is a guzzler in comparison to the swift VDI.So you need to enlighten us on that point.
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

oh sorry about that. my driving would be mostly on the higways with around 200km in city and around 600 km on highway every month. On a total my travel should not normally cross the 1k mark permonth.

I did a small comparison on the two vehicles.

If i go for the Adventure over the VDi i would have to spend around 1.75 L extra on fuel(compared to VDi) after a use of around 70K.

And when i sell my vehicle after 70K another 1.75L difference if i go for adventure now.

Total comes to around 3.5L difference.

So if i look at it as i am paying 5.31+3.50 = 8.81 Lfor my adventure it comes somewhere near the actual price at which the adventure was launched initially(Out of which i am paying 3.5L extra over a period of 5 years). This works out to around 5K extra per month to handle the adventure. feel the adventure gives you the comfort and drive experience worth that kind of money. What do you guys think.

PS. I hope idid not make it too confusing!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

sorry on that. i would drive around 200km in city and around 600 km on highway every month

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks