Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
BUT I MIGHT END UP TAKING A EMOTIONAL DECISION!!!
I guess everyone who bought a Fiat in recent years has taken an emotional decision. In all practical senses you would buy the Swift VDi. I will buy the Adventure .
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Just for the suspension, forget everything else, go for the Adventure. For 5 lac you are getting a ride of cars that sell for 10 lac and beyond!!

Well said Determinus!
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:38   #18
BHPian

Man go for Adventure. You'll not regret for it.

For every 100 km trip you may be spending Rs 200 more than what you spend on Swift. But you cannot get the luxuary of space, driving pleasure, safety, solidity, luggage space, sense of pride etc in Swift even if you ready to pay Rs 500 more every time.

Being a Palio 1.2 OV owner I know what Adventure means. On any day I am ready to buy a Adventure for any other car in 6 lacks range.

I believe spare parts is longer a issue.

Regards,
Prasanna
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:03   #19
BHPian

The adventure is one rock solid car,

You must have heard of all the plusses... I can give you tonnes more...but as for everyone seeking advice, you are probably more interested in the negatives, I will try my best to find them :

1. Interiors: They are quite solid..but the original fabric and door trims are dull... just change the door trims and seat covers....the maroon just adds to the dull feel.... they cost around 2K ..

2. Head room: After getting extra seat covers, head room is reduced, infact on driving position my head is just an inch or two off the roof...I am 6' tall....

3. Parking is a small issue, but I am improving by the day..... I moved from M800 to Adventure, so the change in turning radius is so enormous, I had a tough time initially....now I can atleast gauge where it will turn and where it wont....

4. Fuel guage is uneven, need to get used to it...trust me first ride is almost heart attack...you can see the needle going down...but stops midway thankfully....

5. Braking has a learning curve...initially it feels a little strange...but once you are used to it... I found its better than most of the cars.....

6. I was in the same situation as yours, and finally bought it, but it took some time to gain confidence (psychological) of taking it to long drives etc.... something that other car owners may never face....But now I am more than happy to take it around...

But all the above are very small issues.....(picky ones)

The car is in a class of its own....it is so reassuring that you feel very safe and comfortable when driving....sudden potholes, disturbances, etc dont cause your heart to skip beats....

Service costs till date (2 services done) : Rs 10 (roof lamp bulb change) + actuals...

Just go for it.....
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:05   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Don't write it off, I had the same apprehensions initially (since I drive a Fiesta 1.6 as well) but am really enjoying the experience now. The narrow power band does not bother me, you just need to adapt your driving style to the vehicle that's all.
OT

You're right suman. One does need to adapt a different driving style for the Safari - a gentle caress on the accelerator as Steeroid says and you don't realise the speed until you look at the speedo.
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
sorry on that. i would drive around 200km in city and around 600 km on highway every month
So you will doing roughly 30 odd kms a day.And most of it on the highways.30 odd kms does not really warrant a diesel motor.You should manage good enough fuel efficiency with the adventure since you plan to do a lot of highway runs.
The adventure fits the bill well then,the availability of spares being the only question mark.Go with your heart I say.The adventure is so much car for your money.
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:39   #22
BHPian

Considering our road conditions, an Adventure makes great sense to buy. You'll be cushioned by the babe. Service/Spares as usual may not be the best, but once you are completely in love with your babe (like most Fiat owners do), you may overlook it. An Adventure with 150bhp (1.9 JTD) is what I believe, would be the best car below 10L.
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

thanks roms. You seem to be a big time fiat fan. the Palio 1.6 S10 is my obsession too. Great looks. One of the Best SPecial Edition vehicles one can ever own.
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

kvish you seem to be loving the beast. Good to hear from owners like you. Anyone has any idea if the 1.6 engine is being stopped or will it come back in any of the fiat models.
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey I support your choice If I am driving and buying car for me I am buying Adventure thats one great car for sure!

Having Uno owner for over 6 years you can handle FIAT,

Swift D's suspension is hard one we can't compare FIAT suspension and gearbox with any other cars.

Go for Adventure its a great car! Formula Red rocks!!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 23rd February 2007, 20:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I guess everyone who bought a Fiat in recent years has taken an emotional decision. In all practical senses you would buy the Swift VDi. I will buy the Adventure .
Even I would. But guys, don't you think gemi should wait? The ones who are in Mumbai and Pune have a good time - spares will be available - sometimes late, but available. And we really don't know what is happening at Fiat. In such a scenario it is dangerous to suggest a Fiat to others. Just my 2p.

Gemi, I followed my heart while taking a Petra and have not regretted that decision one bit. Fiat dealers have let me down sometimes, but the Tata support here is good too. If you take a decision to buy the Adventure you will have one of the best cars in India - no doubt. But do be ready for the possible pain.

However, if Fiat India turns around, which I am kind of sure it will (those are my thoughts only), then you can laugh at me. And I will buy you a drink when I am in Trivandrum.
Old 23rd February 2007, 20:55   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
sorry on that. i would drive around 200km in city and around 600 km on highway every month
Hiii...

Since you are from Trivandrum... I hope you went to the Tata-Fiat showroom near the toll gate, bypass road...

I went there on thursday, and i couldnt take my eyes of the Red Fiat Adventure parked there... With the sunlight gleaming on the red paint, and the bull bar in front, it looks the part for sure...

Am not sure about TATA service in trivandrum... But, from friend's feedback, i think its somewhere near average... Same thing you can expect for the Fiat too... (If you service it at TATA-fiat centres)

Can you do one favour for me??? Can you please ask the final price they are qouting for the Fiat Palio 1.6 too??? They seemed confused giving me different answers each time...

However, am all impressed by the Swift VDi... Adventure/Swift, i'll say Adevnture... But if i am to buy one, i'll reconsider the Swift VDi a thousand times, just cause of the excellent service MAruti provides in trivandrum, diesel option and good resale value (which all MAruti cars have)
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the offer typeOnegetive. I now a few guys at the tata service centre here in trivandrum. So i think i would be able to handle them. Anyways af dealing with the TVS guys for 4-5 years Anyone on the woeld would look better to me!!! I might book the car in 2 days. One more thing bothering me is the mileage. But i think thats fair enough consiering the comfort and safety it gives.
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

CrazyDriver. Nice to know you too are from Trivandrum. Yes you are right....THAT RED COLOURED BEAST IS THE ONE!!! Yes I too loved the engine of the VDi. I also considered the resale value and the service aspects. But still i didnt want to let this beast go out of my hands. especially since i was able to get it at the price of the VDi. I'm getting a higher category car for the same price. Moreover i seriously feel this maruti people are taking us for a ride. They just dont give you any thing for that 5.33 L OTR. This is what i felt...
After paying 5.33 L for a Hatchback Maruti tells me....
1) ...that ABS is optional but would have to be ordered and tailor made for you sir. This is surely going to take some time with the waiting period for even normal booking almost touching 1.5-2 months.
2)...that i need to adjust to what "they" feel is the best steering position for me!!! They wont provide a height adjustable steering.
3)...that i need to sit like a frog in the front seats without height adjustable seats (ok. i know all maruti's are like this. Thats their DNA structure!!. Ok i might agree to manage by pushing back the seat to the maximum)
4)...oh sir do you really need a rear parcel shelf that would cover up your back storage area!!! Oh, you better buy it as accessory since we never thought it would be important.
5)....ALLOY WHEELS!!!!! for a diesel vehicle?? Are you nuts sir!!!??? WE DONT PROVIDE YOU WITH THAT. If you are so adament buy it for a price.
6)...Side and bumper rubber beadings to avoid small scrathes!!! Now whats that sir!!!! Do you really need such things? Oh yes i think its in our accessory list.
7)...oh a digital clock inside the vehicle. Now sir dont look at such small things. We are giving you an engine, a body, two seats, one bench and 5 tyres!!! Why dont you choose a small clock from our accessory list.
.....and the list of items in their accessory list goes on .......and on ......and on.

I guess i have made it sound a bit exagerated but i really feel that they are taking us for a ride. Its called "skimming" in marketing terms. I'm sure they will come down with the price/give discounts/provide free accesories in a years time. Common man after all i'm buying a HATCHBACK!!!! that too not a big one like the fusion!!!!
Old 23rd February 2007, 23:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

oh i forgot. i had asked them about the palio1.6 but they told me that its not in production now. They said they'll try to get it if i booked it. moreover the fiat factory is disfunctional since they are shifting. I dont think they will give any discounts since they are bringing the vehicle just for you. let me ask them anyways.

Most Viewed