Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 11th December 2019, 19:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrvenkataraman View Post
I have heard considerably about the not on-par Tata after sales service, and at the pace that Tata is working very very hard on rebranding themselves, their service will catch up next.
Congratulations for the Tiago!

Don't worry, Tatas won't be that bad.

AMC I think can be purchased within a few months of getting the car. So based on your experience in the first few months you may want to go for it.

Extended warranty is always advisable. Check with Bajaj Allianz for their extended warranty package which is better than Tata's own package. Not sure if it's available at your place, but do check with the financing bank or the insurance company directly.
Old 11th December 2019, 22:19   #47
BHPian

Thank you! No other car in this price range offers what the Tiago offers. I will do as you said - regarding the extended warranty and AMC! Thanks a tonne!
Old 12th December 2019, 00:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard considerably about the not on-par Tata after sales service, and at the pace that Tata is working very very hard on rebranding themselves, their service will catch up next. Maruti Suzuki's service network, etc., may be good, but their salesmen are cocky, and the company itself is lethargic in terms of safety. In my opinion, MSIL is not very much different from Chevrolet. Just that, MSIL has that brand that people have grown to trust with their money (sadly not with their life though).
Tata has tried this rebranding stuff plenty of times now, they do come out with some incredible products no doubt and at a price point that none can match, extremely good value for your money. The phrase more car per car holds good in most of their vehicles.

Maruti has better quality control overall, it also has better dealer network, customer support as well. They are the largest player in passenger car market and therefore can afford to do all this. They also have good control over their dealers too. Tata is at the mercy of their dealers , their sales are not matching up to the potential of their products.

I have had both Tata and Maruti, and sure the exterior bits of Maruti is very thin, Tata is better, they tend to be heavier. The interiors of Tata these days feels more durable than Maruti as well. However, the mechanical bits that keep you on the road are no match for Maruti, especially the petrol engines. They will drive better, last longer and consume less fuel, it's just the way it is. And even if something breaks, it's available more readily than Tata.

Everything Chevrolet was rebadged vehicles of their other brands ) partners, MS makes their own, their cars are typical Japanese, light, fuel efficient and reliable, just what our country want to keep moving.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 00:37   #49
BHPian

Congrats on taking a decision on your first car

I was almost in your shoes in March when I had the exact same budget as you did and the Tiago was a very strong contender. However the sales guys just put me off and the Tiago's engine was just not to my liking in city traffic as its jerky but you will get used to it.

The build quality was what really stood out with the Tiago. I finally bought an Ignis Zeta for 6L OTR and shutting the doors felt so puny compared to the thud of the Tiago. My neighbour has a Tiago that first drew me to the car. His car is now over 2 years old and other than a few niggles here and there he has had no major issues with his car and I really liked his car. Really solid car and that music system is really really good.

So to sum up the Tiago was a much safer car than my Ignis but I was used to Maruti engines when I used to drive my dads old Wagon R and Alto and after being used to smooth engines I couldn't bear to drive the Tiago after that.

I think you are getting a great deal on the XZ Tiago which will have everything you would need in a car and at a price that won't break your budget. Congrats once again.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 07:11   #50
BHPian

I did experience that jerky feeling in low speeds in the city. Can you please tell me why it happens? Is it due to any issue with suspension? I was sitting in the back seat, and at low speed/gears the car was a bit jerky and I thought it was just the road.
Old 12th December 2019, 11:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Tiago XZ Petrol at 5.65L OTR is much better than the MSIL Swift at 8.3-8.5L OTR. That's what I could understand after much research.
Agree to the fact that the ZXi+ is the only variant worth buying, and it is overpriced a bit. The Tiago definitely is better value for money, only I wouldn't buy one if I went for a compact hatch right now

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase and enjoy your new car!
Old 12th December 2019, 13:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did experience that jerky feeling in low speeds in the city. Can you please tell me why it happens? Is it due to any issue with suspension? I was sitting in the back seat, and at low speed/gears the car was a bit jerky and I thought it was just the road.
Several factors affect the jerks, but suspension has nothing to do with it.

The Tiago has two driving modes, Eco and City. City is the default mode and is pretty responsive, while Eco is tuned more for FE and so has lesser acceleration.

Also a lot depends on the driver. With an aggressive driver the jerks may be more pronounced.

Always best to drive the car yourself instead of letting another driver do it, if you want to judge the driving characteristics.
Old 13th December 2019, 07:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
Agree to the fact that the ZXi+ is the only variant worth buying, and it is overpriced a bit. The Tiago definitely is better value for money, only I wouldn't buy one if I went for a compact hatch right now

What would you rather buy, if you went for a compact hatch?

I think Ford Figo is a much better car compared to ZXi+ Petrol Swift. For the ZXi+ trim's on road price, you get Ford Figo Titanium Blu 1.5L diesel which is a WAY BETTER car. Only thing is that ford may not have the service network like Maruti does.

At that price range of about 8.9L OTR for the ZXi+, one could rather get the Toyota Glanza V Petrol which offers better features and better punch VFM compared to the Swift. Plus, Toyota service is no less than Maruti. In fact, many people consider Toyota service to be better than Maruti's. Worry free ownership.

I just don't understand Maruti's pricing, because they have many products that are cannibalizing the sales of their other products. Ignis-WagonR, Swift-Baleno among the most prominent.

Btw, Tata Altroz looks like a Swift/Baleno killer. If Tata improve their parts quality (which seems to have definitely improved as there haven't been major complaints regarding Tiago even with the guy who posted 1lakh km ownership review here) and their service quality (still on the way to improving to Toyota level), Tata will eventually be in the race.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2019 at 09:33. Reason: Merging back to back posts
shrvenkataraman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 08:23   #54
BANNED

Quote:

I think Ford Figo is a much better car compared to ZXi+ Petrol Swift. For the ZXi+ trim's on road price, you get Ford Figo Titanium Blu 1.5L diesel which is a WAY BETTER car. Only thing is that ford may not have the service network like Maruti does.

At that price range of about 8.9L OTR for the ZXi+, one could rather get the Toyota Glanza V Petrol...... Plus, Toyota service is no less than Maruti. In fact, many people consider Toyota service to be better than Maruti's. Worry free ownership.

I just don't understand Maruti's pricing, because they have many products that are cannibalizing the sales of their other products..
All the three points mentioned above are valid:
1. Yes the FIGO is most certainly a better vehicle. Ford however, (shockingly) has a very poor dealer network and service attitude. I wanted to consider the Ford Figo Aspire AT for my parents around 6 months ago - My Dad made several attempts to connect with Ford dealers in Madras and received a pathetic response. Shocking because Fords HQ is in Maraimalai Nagar in Madras!

2. Toyota Glanza is a good car. We finally bought that for the below reasons. Spacious. 95% city commute. Easy ingress and egress for elderly people. Comfortable CVT AT Transmission. Very comfy inside for 4 people. Toyota Warranty. Brand new launch when we bought it in June.

3. Maruti typically sees success with whatever it launches in India in the mass segment. Even the “Mass-Tige” (Mass plus Prestige) segment that it is trying to build through NEXA, seems to be enjoying very good success, largely because of the Baleno. It is indeed true that they do try to be “everything to everyone” but clearly for them atleast, this carpet bombing strategy seems to be working in India.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
What would you rather buy, if you went for a compact hatch?

At that price range of about 8.9L OTR for the ZXi+, one could rather get the Toyota Glanza V Petrol which offers better features and better punch VFM compared to the Swift. Plus, Toyota service is no less than Maruti. In fact, many people consider Toyotaservice to be better than Maruti's. Worry free ownership.

I just don't understand Maruti's pricing, because they have many products that are cannibalizing the sales of their other products. Ignis-WagonR, Swift-Baleno among the most prominent.

I would go for the Swift ZXi+ or Polo GT TSi (if I was feeling braver). Yes, both are on the pricier end of the hatch spectrum but both look far better than their rivals, again, in my eyes. Also, the Swift has an excellent engine and is very comfortable. It is an amazing city car (I drive 70-80 kms daily in NCR), gives excellent mileage and is simple to maintain as well (being a Maruti Suzuki product). The Swift Sport is not available in the country else that too would have been a good option in the hot hatch category (did'nt even get the 1.0 boosterjet engine!). I never liked the Baleno/Glanza (don't ask why), the new Figo, though has a solid powertrain, looks too plain. All car buying decisions are not completely rational or VFM driven.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 09:35   #56
BHPian

I had contacted Hans Ford and didn't have any issues getting through to their salespeople. They also gave me a quote immediately. Just that the price was too much. No discounts either for the figo which is a flop model. They gave like 20-25k discount, after which the ford figo titanium petrol came to 7.6L. I didn't end up considering it.

But yes, their staff are probably aware that they would soon have no job and are just working on shifting to somewhere else, resulting in callous responses.

Toyota salespeople are also okay in Chennai, not too good not too bad. Nexa customer service was brilliant - the experience felt posh. That i give to MSIL. They have created good customer experience.

Surprisingly, I found OMR Lakshmi Tata's customer service on par with Maruti. Only for after sales service I'll have to wait to find out. Gokulam Motors Chrompet - those guys had an arrogant and cocky attitude - like "devil may come". They didn't share proper breakup of quote and told that they will give proper quote breakup only if we go and book there.

Toyota wise, they are giving Baleno at an attractive price range. For the same price, you get better features than Maruti in the Glanza. I don't know how that works out for Toyota in terms of margins, but people seem to love it. I am yet to see more glanzas on the road here in Chennai. Probably people go for Nexa Baleno because it offers them prestige like you said, and just having the Toyota branding isn't enough for them.

How's the Glanza performance in highways? What's the FE you're getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
I never liked the Baleno/Glanza (don't ask why), the new Figo, though has a solid powertrain, looks too plain. All car buying decisions are not completely rational or VFM driven.

Totally agreed. For someone buying the first time, I just didn't want to invest too much into the first car, and at first was considering even the Tiago out of reach for us. But then the offer is impressive. So, since this is the first car, I am focusing on VFM - but Tiago offers a wholesome package.

Otherwise, S-Cross, BMW X5, and Suzuki Ciaz/Nissan Sunny are my dream cars. Esp the S-Cross 1.6 Diesel. Sad that it's no longer produced. They are saying that S-Cross will be coming with 1.5L petrol from 2020. Waiting to see reviews for that.

Last edited by shrvenkataraman : 13th December 2019 at 09:44.
Old 13th December 2019, 14:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agreed. For someone buying the first time, I just didn't want to invest too much into the first car, and at first was considering even the Tiago out of reach for us. But then the offer is impressive. So, since this is the first car, I am focusing on VFM - but Tiago offers a wholesome package.
Agree. I did a test drive of the Tiago a couple of years ago and found it to be far ahead of the Indica V2 we used to own (obvisouly), decent product. My cousin has a Zest, I used to drive it around a bit, another decent vehicle, also well equipped.
The only issue being buying and service experience of the dealer. My dad and I went to another TATA dealer to test drive the Tigor but the experience was beyond terrible, won't be able to fit here! Hence, my consideration set did not have TATA vehicles.
Old 13th December 2019, 17:03   #58
BHPian

Makes sense. I really don't get why Tata gets such a bad rap because of the dealers. They should really put some effort into developing top notch customer experience around the dealerships and service outlets. The one I went to - Lakshmi Motors in Chennai - they were very cordial. Chrompet Gokulam motors people including the Sales Manager were a bit lackadaisical and showed some attitude (badmouthing other dealers who give lesser price saying they would have issues and battery failures and that they would be giving old stock at lesser price and so on).
Old 15th December 2019, 12:17   #59

When I was looking for my first car about a year back I had finalized tiago petrol xz and grand i10 petrol sportz.

I bought grand i10 but Tiago is still very close. I rate them as a tie. Either choice will be good.

Tiago positives:
Value for money
Build quality
Fuel economy
Music system in xz
Freshness in design
'Swadeshi' product

Grand i10 positives:
Superb commuter engine smooth and silent
Space a bit better than tiago
Hyundai interior fit and finesse
Tiago didnt had android auto in 2018 but newer versions have it
Better dealer experience

Tiago negatives:
3 cylinder engine wont match 4 cylinder smoothness
One has to ignore the subpar dealership experience
Certain interior trims can deteriorate (as test drive car had them on interior chrome door pull lever)

Hyundai negatives:
Kappa2 is not as effecient also its not high revving
No real time mileage indicator
No distance to empty
Hyundai Service cost getting costly each day
Paint quality is very average
Missing lower back support for driver seat

Tiago is an awesome product from a company fighting its reputation. Grand i10 is a more conventional choice.
Old 15th December 2019, 12:51   #60
BHPian

I'm glad that you've set your focus on the safety aspect of the car. Kudos to you for that.

In the specified price bracket, the Tiago seems to fit all of your requirements. I recently had the chance of travelling in a friend's Tiago, and the build quality is amazing. I guess it would be safe to say that it was on par with the build quality levels of the entry level Volkswagen's. Tata has definitely come a ling way since it's tinny Indica's of yore.

Since this is your first car, may I suggest pre-owned ? Unless you've already been that way and have decided against it.

The advantages to a pre-owned car are innumerable. You can easily find pre-owned cars from a segment or two above, that are sparingly used and also fits in your price requirements. They make tremendous sense as they're abuse friendly and don't have to worry about issues like scratches or dings. I was recently on the lookout for an executive sedan in the used market and I could find quite a lot of hatchbacks like the i20, Jazz and the Polo that fit in your price range. Please do check them out.

Nevertheless, if you have your heart set on the Tiago, go for it. It's always the heart over the mind that wins in the end.

Also, is there a specific reason why you aren't inclined towards automatic trannies ?

Good luck

Most Viewed