Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 14:43   #61
BHPian

Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrvenkataraman View Post
Santro and i10 are off the list because of the Hyundai tag, very very bad petrol fuel efficiency as opposed to tiago or swift, also lack of space in the cabin as well as rear seat, among few other things. .
One thing I would specify here is, with 5 i-10's in my family and neighbours, Hyundai petrol is one of the best engines out there. I have been driving an i10 sports for 6 years, and its annual service cost is equivalent to my Activa's annual service. Refinement wise, quality wise, reliability wise and customer support wise, its the best out there.

Oh, and I have constantly got 20+ kmpl (without AC - winters) on Chandigarh - Delhi highways while driving consistently at 100+ kmph as well as 17+ kmpl with AC and 175 profile tyres (stock were 155) on Salem - Coimbatore highway. Cannot say where the poor petrol efficiency comes from.
Old 15th December 2019, 14:46   #62
NKB
BHPian

Congratulations for your new car. Safety is utmost important for me and I am glad that you gave priority to that.

I believe with a safe car you will always have peace of mind and that's important as you will spend more time inside the car with your loved ones and not in the service centre. A well built strong car is better than those light tin cans in which you cannot be at peace and safe. So don't worry about the peace of mind which people associate with those tin cans.

Safety was one of the prime reason for which I bought Nexon. Also my experience of buying the car and ASS has been good till now.

Enjoy your car and have lots of happy memories along with your loved ones.
NKB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 16:10   #63
BHPian

Proud of you that you could figure out all the flaws of other cars like WagonR, Swift, Figo being a first time buyer.
You seem to be attracted to the Tata Tiago. Go for it. That’s the best car right now in that segment. Even I have test driven Tata Tiago, Baleno, Swift. Tiago is just wonderful. It’s a joy to drive. Feels safe, sturdy, premium.
1. Yes, the door is heavy. For such a small car. Lift the bonnet. You’ll need two hands.
2. Good mileage. 16-23kmpl for sure.
3. Very silent at 100kmph. Feels like 60kmph.
4. They are offering good discounts right now. Up to ₹95,000.
If the ford was doing good in India, I would suggest you Ford. It’s really good car. But, ford won’t survive for long in India. They’ll pack thier bags and go home one day.
Please go for the Tiago. You will not regret it.
Old 15th December 2019, 16:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have finally decided to pay the booking amount for Tata Tiago XZ petrol. Anyone owning Tiago Petrol here?

Lakshmi Motors Chennai has quoted 5.7 Lakhs. Beyond that they aren't budging. KLN Motors quoted 5.57L - but that's exclusive of AMC, Extended Warranty and B2B insurance. If I include those, the cost comes to 5.72L at KLN. So, I have decided to go with Lakshmi motors.

I had this question. Is it advisable to take the extended warranty (most likely advisable i guess?) and the TATA AMC GOLD (not advisable?) ?

Some people say AMC for first year after purchase is not necessary. Is it valid?

I don't think we'll drive more than 10k kms in the first year as we are first time drivers and this is our very first car. So it would be very minimal in my opinion.

Also, the guy offered to do a teflon coating 3-coats free of cost. I asked for the amount in cash discount, but he said he's given the maximum he can with the discounts possible, but he can offer the teflon coating as he can talk to some 3m people and get it done. Is this good for the car?
Well, I can answer for the question - 'Anyone owning Petrol Tiago here' ?

I have a July2016 Tiago(P) XZ registered in Lucknow UP 32, had booked it in it's launch month April itself. We, in our household call it the Tunni Tiago and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to call it a superb city dweller and more than capable highway companion. Nimble enough to get into tight, tricky narrow roads - has ample features which put to shame cars which cost 1.5-2L more and although I don't have stats to prove it (nor does anyone else) it 'feels' a lot sturdier and safer than similarly priced cars read - Grand i10 (older gen base), Santro, Kwid 1.0(climber), base variants of Figo, Swift.

My servicing costs have been very economical (or so it seems to me). Recently, got my bi-annual service completed and paid about Rs. 750 for general checkup, oil top-up and washing/cleaning. Not sure how it compares to other brands but the cost seems reasonable and all it took was 2.5 hours to get the job done - Saturday morning being my service day.

From a mileage point of view, due to it's higher kerb weight (even the newer Altroz weighs approximately the same even though it has larger dimensions) i haven't got numbers to share which would be anything to brag about. Tunni started it's journey in Lucknow but for the past 2.5 years has lived in Gurgaon and we have averaged about 14 kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic which during summers with full time AC on falls to 12 kmpl. I don't somehow mind it, but yeah - Maruti is obviously better in terms of 'kitna deti hai' department.

My primary objectives in selecting Tiago, although almost Everyone was like - why are you buying Tata, haven't you heard the horror stories of their A.S.S or even how cheap their interiors are or worse their agricultural sounding engines was (in order of priority) -
a. Safety - I paid about 5.5L OTR Lucknow for 2 air bags, ABS and EBD - NO other car was offering the same, even Celerio ZXI(O) was more expensive at the time.
b. Comfort - This includes both driving dynamics, road behaviour and general ergonomics. I cannot fault the ride - Tunni eats potholes for breakfast, it's THAT good. Primary competition (when i was selecting Tunni) was Celerio, Swift (base version), Nissan Micra (old and base variant). Tunni excelled in the comfort department in this comparison.
c. Creature comforts - Music system, speed sensing auto door locks, driver side height adjustment, steering mounting controls and the overall interior layout - just the whole package seemed more appealing to me.

Also, I haven't encountered ANY of the challenges which we would normally associate (in previous years at-least) Tata with. Service has been of no challenge, music system is PHENOMENAL and ride quality - it's simply fabulous. I have even purchased the P2P (Promise to Protect) package which allows me to have my clutch plate and some other stuff replaced free of charge within the time period of P2P. I still have about 2 years on it and plan to change some critical points so that i'm mentally at peace as my extended warranty will also be coming to an end soon. I have already replaced my rear passenger side power window winding, engine mount and front wipers - Didn't pay for any of these!

-> Do purchase Extended Warranty. DON'T miss on any of your service intervals else, company will deny future claims.

My two gripes about the car are -
1. The air conditioning during peak NCR summers leaves a lot to be desired. I'm unhappy about it the most. Also, I don't know if it's only me - but the air con vents, they are super challenging to point in the direction i want cold air to be blown at, even a mm change changes the air flow direction. I'm super irked by this.

2. NVH levels aren't the best and you Will hear the 3-pot motor going about it's business.

Interior space isn't the largest, but for my needs this wasn't a high priority item, given that Tunni normally has only 2 people or sometimes 3 average sized adults. So i wasn't a whole lot concerned about it.

What I've been reading is that Tata has silently (and sheepishly) removed some features in XZ trim and moved it to XZ+ trim. I would suggest that you 'invest' a couple of thousand more and get the XZ+ trim. In the years coming, you will (in my opinion) miss Apple Car Play and Android Auto if you're buying a car today.

If not, even XZ is a great buy - congratulations on the booking and drive safe mate!
djay434 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 17:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Hello wonderful people,

I am considering buying my first car. I have done significant research on Team-BHP forums, going through ownership reviews, and other car review threads.
Swift. Nothing else runs like that petrol engine in the mentioned price range. Its quite spacious as well.
Old 15th December 2019, 18:03   #66
BHPian

Hello shrvenkataraman,

Firstly, congratulations on being eligible to get into the car club! This is an achievement for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You’re just out of driving school? Then buy an older car say a lightly run automatic i10 at around 3 lakhs maximum. Change the engine oil, all filters, tyres, brake oil, atf fluid (expensive!) and coolant. Once you’re comfortable enough with this is the time to evaluate new cars let alone take any car into the highway. In any case get an automatic.
I will definitely back on hserus's advice. This is the best thing you can do now as you are going to be a newbie into driving, and I can guarantee that it's going to be fun.

First thing, we all are proud to be auto enthusiasts, but everyday when I slog in grinding traffic of Bangalore, I realize how much I hate driving in bumper to bumper traffic. It causes unnecessary delays, anxiety, anger, pain, frustration and much more.
So, better to stay cool and be stress free as much as you can. I drive a 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6 manual. I hardly use 4th gear on my daily commutes to work. The avg speed of the traffic is 10 to 16 Kms/hour. The point is, it's simply a pain to drive a manual car in such situations. I believe, it's harmful for our left knee as the mechanical parts of the car as the clutch plates.

Bottom line, as the future is moving rapidly towards automatics, I will strongly suggesting you to look for an automatic. You will surely have peace of mind and I guarantee you will enjoy the drives even if you are stuck in the worst bumper-to-bumper crawling traffic.

Next, it's a wise decision to go for a Pre-Loved AT car that has less mileage on it's ODO + a well maintained one as a used car is definitely is more value for money

You can inch towards perfection while driving your pre-owned car, then 3-4 years down the line can think of owning a sparkling brand new car.

I would suggest you to look for the below cars:

>> Pre-owned Baleno Automatic
>> Pre-owned Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic
>> Pre-owned Elite i20 Automatic
>> Brand new Santro Automatic
>> Pre-owned Honda Jazz Automatic

Choose wisely and drive safe.

Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 19:11   #67
BHPian

I would definitely recommend Tiago.

Last year at the same time we were in same situation as that of yours from requirement and budget point of view for buying a car for my father. We shortlisted Kwid, Celerio, Santro and Tiago. TD in all these car made it clear that it has to be Tiago. We bought XTA as Automatic was Main requirement and fitting in budget.

It has completed 4000 kms and the experience is brilliant. It’s far superior car from build and dynamics (suspension +steering) point of view. Engine seems inferior but driving modes are boon. FE is around 14 kmpl in city and 20 kmpl on highway. New Tata dealer in Nashik is good in service as well. I was aware that being a Tata I must be prepared for niggles and I got few. Driver side door couldn’t unlock and windshield water tank caught air! However ASS sorted it promptly.

Lastly, follow your heart!
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 19:17   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Oh, and I have constantly got 20+ kmpl (without AC - winters) on Chandigarh - Delhi highways while driving consistently at 100+ kmph as well as 17+ kmpl with AC and 175 profile tyres (stock were 155) on Salem - Coimbatore highway. Cannot say where the poor petrol efficiency comes from.

A friend of mine has an i20 and has gotten 9-12kmpl max in Chennai city traffic and 15-16kmpl max in highway driving. Petrol vehicle. Tiago on the other hand from most reviews i have read seem to improve efficiency towards the second service giving upwards of 14-15kmpl in city traffic and 22-23kmpl in highways (sedate driving) and 19-21Kmpl (normal driving with AC on and good speed). This is what I gathered reading so many ownership reviews here and on cardekho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKB View Post
Safety was one of the prime reason for which I bought Nexon. Also my experience of buying the car and ASS has been good till now.

Enjoy your car and have lots of happy memories along with your loved ones.

Thanks a tonne NKB! I thoroughly loved the Nexon and Harrier too. Sad that they are all out of price range now and also because Nexon is a class apart from all the compact SUVs in its league. Truly a driver's car and top notch safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
4. They are offering good discounts right now. Up to ₹95,000.
If the ford was doing good in India, I would suggest you Ford. It’s really good car. But, ford won’t survive for long in India. They’ll pack thier bags and go home one day.
Please go for the Tiago. You will not regret it.

Yes, my heart did skip a beat looking at the Ford Freestyle. A couple of years back when Aspire was available at around 7.8L OTR - mid-trim, I was set on that. But then ford has increased the price, decreased the discounts, and the car is way too overpriced - any of the ford cars now. That's why I couldn't even consider Ford (also the flimsy build quality reported on figo/aspire/freestyle and their variants)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
From a mileage point of view, due to it's higher kerb weight (even the newer Altroz weighs approximately the same even though it has larger dimensions) i haven't got numbers to share which would be anything to brag about. Tunni started it's journey in Lucknow but for the past 2.5 years has lived in Gurgaon and we have averaged about 14 kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic which during summers with full time AC on falls to 12 kmpl. I don't somehow mind it, but yeah - Maruti is obviously better in terms of 'kitna deti hai' department.

If not, even XZ is a great buy - congratulations on the booking and drive safe mate!

I did consider the Maruti Wagon R and Swift initially. But those cars give almost similar (in some cases worse) mileage than Tiago. Swift I heard Petrol wise was giving 12-13kmpl in city, and 17-19 in highways. At max, with sedate 80kmph no-AC driving, Swift is giving 20-21 max. But some owners have reported upwards of about 25-27 also on Tiago. (the 30kmpl FE we see on youtube videos are probably off by about 4kmpl).

I heard that the mileage improves after second service in the recent cars. Not sure about the validity of it, but have to check first-hand. The reason i didn't go for XZ+ is because the extra features they are giving for XZ+ from XZ seem not really absolutely necessary. The 4-speaker system itself is top notch and the other features don't look like all that absolute necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
Swift. Nothing else runs like that petrol engine in the mentioned price range. Its quite spacious as well.

I sat in the Swift as well as the Tiago. I was surprised. Coz even though the Tiago is 10cm lesser in length and 7cm lesser in width, I felt like the Tiago was as spacious, if not more - than Swift. Tiago's backseat felt very comfortable, the neck support is excellent, the lower back, thigh support are both damn good. The Swift's light interiors make it appear a bit more spacious, that said, space wise, I felt that Tiago was as good. Swift Petrol is very good, definitely better than Tiago's engine. But at the price I am getting at - 5.7L OTR including extended warranty and AMC Gold and B2B insurance, I can't even get a decent Base variant Swift Petrol. Decent Swift (ZXi trim) is atleast 1.5L away (7.2L OTR) and that in my opinion is way too overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive1987 View Post
Hello shrvenkataraman,
Next, it's a wise decision to go for a Pre-Loved AT car that has less mileage on it's ODO + a well maintained one as a used car is definitely is more value for money

You can inch towards perfection while driving your pre-owned car, then 3-4 years down the line can think of owning a sparkling brand new car.

Choose wisely and drive safe.

I did think about the pre-owned cars thing. In case of Pre-Owned cars, I thought about Nissan Sunny Diesel, Baleno, etc. The problem in terms of pre-owned cars is this - those with less km on the odo in Maruti/Toyota/Hyundai brands ask for a lot of money (not significantly less than a new one) that I'd rather buy a brand new version of same car one or two trims below the actual variant in the used one.

When I looked into pre-owned cars, I couldn't find a ZXi+ that had less kms on odo - in Swift/Dzire, or with Baleno/Figo, etc. Asking rates were higher.

Then came the tricky part. After a lot of thinking, we are buying this around my marriage, so the family decided they don't wanna go for pre-owned since we are looking at keeping this car for anywhere closer to 8-10 years. I am a superb maintenance guy. I had my first phone (samsung galaxy note 1) for 7 years before I switched to another phone which i have had for 3 years now. Likewise, anything I buy, I maintain in mint condition for at least 6-7 years before considering change (that too only if the device has given up on me). My galaxy note essentially died. My first laptop's screen went blank and keyboard keys popped out, before i switched. So, since i am this type - that essentially worships every thing I buy, I think a brand new one will also do me good.

As for the AT variants, the practice/training I received was in manual. And, I wanted atleast my first car to be manual drive. I am yet to explore the AT side of cars and car driving. So, I'd probably go for an AT for the second car as we get much better and advanced ATs (probably looking at the growth of EVs in the next decade, won't be surprised if I end up getting an electric & automatic combo).

All that you have mentioned make a lot of sense, but there's no reasoning with family when it comes to sentiments, is there!?
shrvenkataraman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 20:05   #69
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Hello wonderful people,

1. Tata Tiago XZ Petrol (Have gotten a quote of 5.5 lakhs with few add-ons for BS4 Tiago XZ Petrol from Lakshmi Motors OMR in Chennai, and 5.6L from Gokulam motors Chrompet).

2. Wagon R - Maruti isn't offering any discounts or offers on this car - for obvious reasons.

3. Swift

4. Renault Kwid

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Welcome shrvenkataraman and all the best with your decision making steps.
Tiago is a good car based on many reviews I have seen, though I don't have any experience.
Coming to Swift, I feel it is a very refined car. Doing 100kmph in a Switft is not an issue at all. My father used to drive a Swift and I have driven it extensively those days. These small cars are very agile and nimble. I have seen guys doing 140kmph kind of speeds, though I would never do that considering the safety aspect. I would be keeping my Corolla Altis around 120 mark and I see some guys zipping past me, so keeping legal speeds is no issue.
All the new cars come with speed buzzer, so you won't be able to go above 120 mark in peace. I don't think Wagon R is good choice for going past above 100 mark as it is tall boy design, so you won't feel comfortable.
If the usage is more in City, look for comfort and refinement. You will really appreciate those in the stressful traffic conditions, if the usage is more on highways, performance and handling will be more rewarding.
Old 15th December 2019, 20:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you guys also have other car suggestions that I should check out, please do let me know.
After going thru the thread, I see that you have almost decided on the Tiago Manual Petrol. This is no doubt a good car and at this price range which ever car you buy you will have a trade off in some angle.

None of the other cars will match the Build Quality of the Tiago. When I was in the market for a small car in 2017, this was on top of the list - but the fact that I needed an automatic drove me away from the Tiago towards Maruti's 4 cylinder motor (Ignis Delta AGS) after multiple test drives of both cars.

Do not expect the mileage to be too high from Tata Cars. The superb build quality will shave off the mileage due to the weight and moreover its a 3 cylinder engine. If you stick to the Eco mode you may see some of those figures but not otherwise. Also, one negative I saw was that the AC has a impact on the power of Tiago - test drive the car with AC ON and check if Tata has improved it in the recent batch.

Another negative I noticed was the rear bench - its not comfortable as compared to say an Ignis or a Grand i10 - its too small is what I felt. I am not going to recommend a Maruti as you have already called out on the Build Quality aspect.

Given these constraints, my recommendation if you are still open would be to go for a pre-owned Honda Jazz that has run less than 25K. These should be available in the 6L range for sure (2015 or 2016 models). Also note that Honda is now offering a 10 year warranty so you can buy one with complete peace of mind.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 15th December 2019 at 20:33.
Old 15th December 2019, 20:39   #71

I would recommend the new santro. My brother has just booked a BS4 sportz AT version for 6.22 OTR including 5yr/1L Kms warranty. If you intend to buy your first car and keep it for 6-8 yrs, I would suggest a niggle free brand(no offence to TATA owners, I have a nexon petrol within my family and its doing fantastic). The major deciding factors for me over tiago was the 4 cyl engine which was way more refined, backseat space and a better AMT.
Old 15th December 2019, 20:44   #72
BHPian

I purchased the Tiago XZ in Aug for my wife. It's a solid car, with excellent ergonomics, decent fuel economy, absolutely no jerkiness in city or highway. No issues reported in the last 4 1/2 month of ownership. Just the normal 2k checkup.

Bear in mind the test drive cars are driven badly and hence the wobbly feel and jerkiness.

In city, I anytime prefer driving my wife's Tiago over my Brezza.

The city mileage averages around 16 in city after 3300 kms on the do. This has improved from the initial 14. Also there are no concerns about AC as reported.

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 15th December 2019 at 20:46.
Old 15th December 2019, 22:14   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinathpadman View Post
I have a nexon petrol within my family and its doing fantastic
How's the petrol Nexon treating you, performance, comfortand quality wise? I too plan on upgrading to one over the Venue in the coming year. I'm just concerned about the refinement and quality of the 3 cylinder engine over the 1.2 4 cylinder Kappa-2 of my i10. Have Venue, Nexon and i20 turbo (if it comes) on my crosshair.
Old 15th December 2019, 23:02   #74

Shrvenkatraman, your decision on buying a new Tiago makes perfect sense. Go for it. I would not rate Tatas A.S.S. bad at all infact, I am extremely happy with my Hexa service, maybe they attend it better than the other Tata cars due it's premium positioning . Though i live in Bangalore, only once i visited service center here, I choose to do my service at a distant town Salem (my in laws place) since I visit there once in every 3 months. Attitude of Service advisors at smaller towns has been better than Bangalore. They even ask me test drive the car (10-15km) after service before paying the bill.(In Bangalore, this will take 2 hours for which none of us have time and traffic does not allow it anyway).

I've owned a Hyundai Getz and i feel the service quality/attentiveness were at Par or even poor compared to Tata even at Bangalore. With huyndai, they once put only one wheelnut in my alloy wheel after doing alignment i was stranded in peak traffic for 4 hours after driving 15km. It could've caused a major accident, all they did was to say sorry we missed it.

Last edited by powerdrive : 15th December 2019 at 23:24. Reason: Spelling
Old 15th December 2019, 23:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on booking one of the best selling hatchbacks

What was the price quoted for XZ+? I remember seeing somewhere that an XZ+ was offered at 6.35lakhs.

Just check with your dealer on the offers for the XZ+ model, if it is a marginal difference I would recommend the XZ+ for the additional features it offers.

Most Viewed