Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 23:45   #76
BHPian

Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

As I saw a few suggestions for Santro, I felt like drawing everyone's attention to a glaring safety omission - passenger airbag is unavailable in all but the top variant. And the top Asta trim will be a little over shrvenkataraman's budget.
Old 16th December 2019, 02:18   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
How's the petrol Nexon treating you, performance, comfortand quality wise?
Its XZA+ variant and owned by my FIL. In the couple of drives I had, never felt the need of any extra power. The 3 cyl vibes are felt only outside and wont come in unless you rev it above ~3.5k. Ride quality has been good in city though a tad on the firmer side. The AMT box does take an extra second to react, which is the only let down on an other wise well packaged car. It averages 12kpl in city and 15 in highways. Haven't faced any typical TATA niggles yet(touchwood). Definitely would recommend.
srinathpadman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:22   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Congratulations on booking one of the best selling hatchbacks

What was the price quoted for XZ+? I remember seeing somewhere that an XZ+ was offered at 6.35lakhs.

Just check with your dealer on the offers for the XZ+ model, if it is a marginal difference I would recommend the XZ+ for the additional features it offers.

XZ+ Tiago was quoted for 6.2L OTR. It's 50k more than what we were offered for XZ and since we thought the extra features weren't all that necessary, we chose to go with the XZ.
shrvenkataraman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:23   #79
BHPian

Being an owner of 2018 model Tiago, putting down my opinions and experience hoping that it might help you. Most of the points might have been already discussed in the previous posts.

My requirements when buying a car were:
1. Buy a hatchback with comparatively better build quality from the segment with a budget of strictly 6 Lakhs.
2. Rear wiper, ABS is a must along with driver + passenger air bags.
3. Safety is the priority over features like touch screen/auto headlamps/auto wipers/auto folding mirrors.
4. Good boot space.
5. Decent maintenance costs.

From the hatch back segment and for my budget, the only decision was Tata Tiago since in 6 Lakhs I cannot get a Maruti with good build quality and S Cross was beyond my budget + current plans. Production of Maruti Ritz was stopped. I had no plans of going for Hyundai cars. If Ford had the first generation Figo, I would have definitely purchased it since I did not like the current one.

Checked with Concord (OMR) and Gurudev (Poonamallee High Road). Bought the top end XZ with alloy wheels for 5.84 Lakhs on road price from Gurudev. (XZ + was not there at that time)

After more than 1 and half year of owning the car, for my requirements, Tata Tiago is the best suited for me.

1. Tata Tiago is not a car for 5 adults for long drives or every day 1+ hour city drives. It is very uncomfortable for 3 adults in rear seat. We are family of 3 - myself, wife and a kid. Spacious for us.
2. City drives are very good. Small, easy to drive, nice steering. Can move in and out of traffic quickly, if needed.
3. On highways, the car feels stable and solid but I personally felt the engine should have been more powerful for highway runs (I regularly drove A star and Santro previous to this). But due to my kid, we rarely go for long drives. I am a sedate driver and always drive the car strictly < 2500 RPM with speeds between 80 - 90 only.
4. Definitely noise insulation is poor when compared to Hyundai/Maruti (You would not hear the sound of the engine of i10 after starting the car) but I am used to it. Noise insulation is better at speeds more than 50 or 60 KMs since I have installed insulation under the hood with the help of posts in Team BHP. The sound is only muted but still better than not having one.
Reference: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-143.html (Tata Tiago : Official Review)
5. For all the 3 services so far, I have got it done at Concorde ECR and it has been a good experience. My previous post on it: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4639306 (Tata Tiago JTP & Tigor JTP with 7-inch touchscreen launched)
6. I am hearing good things about service in recently opened Lakshmi OMR in the Tata Tiago group in Telegram. A person from Lakshmi is a member of that group and regularly responds for queries posted in it regarding the service.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 13:47   #80
BHPian

Hi Shrvenkataraman, I own a petrol Tiago XT. Was going through this thread and I absolutely recommend you to stick to your decision of buying the petrol Tiago.

I bought mine in March this year and the journey so far has been fabulous.

Engine: The low end torque is superb and commuting in the city is a breeze. You need minimal gear changes and can lug the engine a fair bit. The engine is a bit jerky in between 1500 and 2000 rpm, but nothing that can't be managed. Drive it for a few days and you will get accustomed to it. Managing the jerk is not much of an issue. It's noticeable only in the first gear. Second gear onward, the jerk is hardly felt. Owing the the low end torque, you can easily manage up-shifting before the 1500 rpm mark. The air conditioner does take a big toll on the power. In the city it's fine, but on the highway overtakes need to be planned if you are running on a full load with the air conditioning on. Mid-range of this engine is not it's forte. But it revs freely so keep it on the boil and you can make good progress on the highways too.

Ride Quality: I will summarize it in one word. Fantastic. It absorbs bumps with ease whatever the speed may be. Potholes hardly affect it's composure. It is way better than other not only in this segment but a segment above. Definitely makes longer journeys more pleasant.

Fuel Efficiency: The mileage displayed on the MID is highly exaggerated. I calculated multiple times using the tank full method and observed the MID FE to be 20% more than actual, so please consider this factor. I will mention what I get calculated using the tank full method. Mileage is very sensitive based on your driving style. Drive with a light foot and it will keep you happy. In the city with medium traffic, expect around 14 kmpl. Bumper to bumper traffic makes it drop down to 10. On the highways, it's excellent as long as you do not rev too high and keeps the speeds within 100. 18 kmpl is easily achievable.

Handling: The handling is decent enough for the segment. It is quite predictable and doesn't exhibit much body roll. Not as good as the swift but definitely way better than the WagonR or the Ignis. The steering is a bit light though.

Build Quality: This is a parameter in which it trumps cars even from a segment above. The way it's doors close with a satisfying thud exude a sense of safety. Cars from the Maruti stable do not even come close. The sheet metal is heavy and is evident from the fact that it weighs 112 kg more than the Baleno despite being much smaller in size.

Features: At this price point, no other car will offer more features. Mine is an XT which is essentially the XZ now. I would recommend to go for the XZ+ if possible, else the XZ provides enough features which can be termed as necessities in today's scenario. I will not mention the details of the features on offer here as it has been covered vastly on the forum already.

Sound: This deserves a special mention. No other car in this segment will offer such excellent sound quality. The Harman system is superb. Base and mid-range are strong. Being the XT variant, mine does lack tweeters so the Treble lacks a bit as compared to the higher variant but is still way better than what you would get in the Maruti competitors.

Service: Being less than an year old, I have had only the first two services which were free. I found the service quality acceptable so far with not much to complain. Once the warranty is over, I plan to get it services from the FNG though.

Reliability: So far so good. No niggle faced in the 10 month ownership so far.

Value for Money: This is the biggest forte of the Tiago. In terms of value, nothing comes close.

I also own another Tata car, a 2008 Indica Xeta. It has been flawless in the past 11 years with not a single major niggle or a breakdown. This instilled confidence in me to but another Tata product. I have always got it serviced from the FNG though so do not have much experience dealing with the Tata dealerships.

I would recommend you to opt for the Extended Warranty. I have opted for the Gold AMC and found the costing to be acceptable.

Go ahead and buy the Tiago without any apprehensions.
Old 16th December 2019, 14:03   #81
BHPian

Dear Venkat (if I may call you so),

This is the exact dilemma another friend of mine is going through. She too just got her license and She too has kind off narrowed down to Tiago top variant.

If you don't care about what others think, then I would suggest Tata Nano. Why don't you give a shot for Tata Nano ? Heard it is still being built on order basis (I may be wrong). Or you can even go in for a used nano which you may get for less than a lakh.

Reasons for suggesting Nano,
1. Top most reason: You still are a learner so I assume you may end up having lots of scratches/dents on your new car. So seeing those on a 6+ lakh car is a heart braking thing. Not telling you WILL end up putting scratches/dents. So cost of repairs and maintenance would comparatively be less.

2. Reliability : I am a 2012 Nano owner and in 7 years of ownership, no major issue found till now (God's Grace), only minor niggles which was taken care during normal scheduled service and few fixed myself.

3. Driving Comfort : Nothing can beat it in terms of driving around in the city especially negotiating the traffic and finding a parking space. The Electric Assisted Power Steering is a breeze to use. Mine is the normal manual steering and till date never felt the need for a power steering. I feel a little hard ONLY WHEN I try to steer while the car is stopped completely and I'm trying to take a U turn of sorts.

4. Space : LOTS of space. On my recent trip, we were three adults and three kids and all their baggage's. Only draw back is the lack of cubbyhole but still you can live with it.

5. How far can you drive in a day : I regularly travel to my native which is 650 km one way. It take about 12 to 14 hours to reach depending on how many breaks I take ( I have three kids and just one wife ) so time taken varies.

6. How fast can Nano go : My top speed is 110 and average speed is 90 kmph, on highways. I do not mean to it's safe but yes, Nano wouldn't disappoint you on highways either. But yes, you need to be careful at high speeds at break are not very confidence inspiring. Nevertheless, like with everything else, you will learn how to handle you car.

6. Mileage : I get 18 in city (Bangalore) and on highways 23.

7. Would I still buy a Nano ? Yes, most surely. More over I do not intend to even sell my 7 year old Nano and Yes, I would still recommend Nano if you want a simple, yet practical car for your daily use.

Here is a parting pic of my family (third adult is the camera man) and my Nano. Taken on a ghat at Theni-Kambam route.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices-whatsapp-image-20191216-13.59.44.jpeg  

Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices-whatsapp-image-20191216-13.59.44-1.jpeg  

T-Bone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 14:56   #82

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the party and I see that you have already booked your car. I'd still like to share my experience of getting my first car.

I was in the same boat as you about 4 years back when I was beginning my second year of college and was in desperate need of a vehicle for my commute. 2-wheelers were strictly forbidden by my mother and my father gave me a strict budget of 6 lakhs to buy a new car. Even back then, the only things I looked out for in a car were sturdy mechanicals, a decent engine and a safe structure with at least front airbags. I didn't give two hoots about touchscreens, sunroofs and adjustable steerings. I decided to consider the tiago, figo, swift and the grand i10.

Back then, I had about a year of driving experience which was limited to a 2010 petrol vento, 2014 dzire diesel, 2009 petrol ritz and a previous generation Mahindra thar. Out of which, vento and dzire were our household cars.

Swift - This was the second generation swift and I was absolutely in love the 1.2 K12 engine on offer, having driven a ritz before. However the car felt flimsy and the variants in my budget had no airbags or Abs. Hence rejected.
Grand i10 - Wasn't a big fan of Hyundai and the 1.2 petrol unit in the grand i10 wasn't to my liking.
Figo - The petrol engine on offer back then wasn't up to the mark in my opinion and hence rejected.
Tiago - I loved the overall package and the built. The only downer was the 3-cyl engine. I was about to make the booking when the used-car bug bit me.
Buying used - My father was absolutely against buying used but I was up for the idea. Primary reason being I was a new driver and the car was bound to end up with scratches here and there. Also a used car in that budget was bound to be safer. Countless arguments later, I convinced my dad to hand over the 2010 vento to me and take the plunge for a d-segment sedan a couple of years early.

4 years later, I have had absolutely no regrets with my decision. I have a solid and safe car, better driving dynamics than any of the cars I was considering and the engine, though not a stonker, keeps me happy.

Coming back to your situation, the Tiago is a great car for its price and should be pretty safe. Many congratulations on your booking. Although, if safety is your primary concern, maybe just stay on the lookout for used nexons. It's as safe as it gets south of a million. A few established used car setups also offer loan deals but I have little experience regarding this matter.
Cheers and happy motoring
Old 16th December 2019, 15:05   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrvenkataraman View Post
Hi Guys,

I have finally decided to pay the booking amount for Tata Tiago XZ petrol. Anyone owning Tiago Petrol here?

Lakshmi Motors Chennai has quoted 5.7 Lakhs. Beyond that they aren't budging. KLN Motors quoted 5.57L - but that's exclusive of AMC, Extended Warranty and B2B insurance. If I include those, the cost comes to 5.72L at KLN. So, I have decided to go with Lakshmi motors.

I had this question. Is it advisable to take the extended warranty (most likely advisable i guess?) and the TATA AMC GOLD (not advisable?) ?

Some people say AMC for first year after purchase is not necessary. Is it valid?

I don't think we'll drive more than 10k kms in the first year as we are first time drivers and this is our very first car. So it would be very minimal in my opinion.

Also, the guy offered to do a teflon coating 3-coats free of cost. I asked for the amount in cash discount, but he said he's given the maximum he can with the discounts possible, but he can offer the teflon coating as he can talk to some 3m people and get it done. Is this good for the car?
hi Venkataraman,

I own a tiago and I have clocked ~25K KMs in two and half years. It is no doubt a good car. My experience with service is ok. No great, but just OK. So far the car has been trouble-free.

Ask for promise to protect or P2P from tata, do get the extended warranty and rethink if you really need the AMC.
Old 16th December 2019, 16:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Ask for promise to protect or P2P from tata, do get the extended warranty and rethink if you really need the AMC.
Can you please elaborate on the AMC part? It would be very helpful. What is the rationale in suggesting to opt out of getting an AMC - please elaborate if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
Checked with Concord (OMR) and Gurudev (Poonamallee High Road). Bought the top end XZ with alloy wheels for 5.84 Lakhs on road price from Gurudev. (XZ + was not there at that time)

6. I am hearing good things about service in recently opened Lakshmi OMR in the Tata Tiago group in Telegram. A person from Lakshmi is a member of that group and regularly responds for queries posted in it regarding the service.

Any idea why Tata has made its 2018 XZ to be XZ+ this year and is charging 60-70k extra for the same features? I am getting the XZ for 5.7L OTR after discounts, and it doesn't have alloy wheels, rear wiper, etc. Can a rear wiper be fitted after purchase separately? I wasn't very particular about 8 speaker system or alloy wheels. So I chose to go with the XZ variant which i suppose was the XT variant when you were buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Dear Venkat (if I may call you so),

This is the exact dilemma another friend of mine is going through. She too just got her license and She too has kind off narrowed down to Tiago top variant.

I am very heartened seeing the nano like this. A friend of mine owns one and it's a workhorse! Your friend chose right in choosing the Tiago top variant. She could choose the NRG variant also. I had my eyes set on NRG, but then brought down the budget to 5.5L and went for the variant that's very close since i don't wanna overspend on the first car.

I did think about the possibility of scratches, dents, etc. If I had my way i'd buy a used alto or something and learn to drive confidently and then go for whatever car. Family has their way here, and I don't have much say. Since they wanted something new - I gave them their best option after researching much on this forum.

Plus, what I heard was that there's no Nano in stock or being produced. So, that's a bummer too.
Old 16th December 2019, 18:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
XZ+ Tiago was quoted for 6.2L OTR. It's 50k more than what we were offered for XZ and since we thought the extra features weren't all that necessary, we chose to go with the XZ.
I feel it's a good deal for XZ+ and go for it. Later I am sure you will look to change to alloy wheels, and you will start thinking to get a touchscreen with android auto and some extra speakers.

And mainly, those headlight setup on the XZ+ will be a best update, as the lightning will have a major difference.

And trust me, if you opt to get these outside, it will be more or less 50K.

1. Alloy Wheels - approx 20K
2. Touchscreen music system - approx 20K
3. Headlight setup - approx 10K

So you don't have to worry about warranty, if you think of getting these outside. Hope I din't confuse you
Old 16th December 2019, 18:33   #86
BHPian

Quote:

So you don't have to worry about warranty, if you think of getting these outside. Hope I din't confuse you

I sat inside the 8 speaker xz+ variant, and the sound felt a bit shrill on the upside. The 4-speaker system was just as impressive.

What do you mean by saying i don't have to worry about warranty if i am getting these outside?
Old 16th December 2019, 18:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What do you mean by saying i don't have to worry about warranty if i am getting these outside?
I meant to say, if you get the XZ+, there is no question of aftermarket and you don't have to worry about warranty.

If you try to fiddle with any electronics, then warranty is not entertained by the company.
Old 16th December 2019, 18:52   #88
BHPian

Quote:
If you try to fiddle with any electronics, then warranty is not entertained by the company.

Are alloy wheels an absolute necessity? I might try and put up a rear wiper, but other features like speakers, and such don't really feel necessary.
Old 16th December 2019, 21:31   #89
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Are alloy wheels an absolute necessity? I might try and put up a rear wiper, but other features like speakers, and such don't really feel necessary.
Personally, I would always suggest, even if it is a bit of a stretch, go for the TopMost spec/ variant of whichever vehicle you’re buying. Simply because every single thing is factory fitted and there is no need for all this after market retro fitting work.

In my book, it’s always best to spend a little more and buy the top spec, so as to ensure a “zero regret” experience, and avoid the horrible feeling of “buyer’s remorse”...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 21:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Personally, I would always suggest, even if it is a bit of a stretch, go for the TopMost spec/ variant of whichever vehicle you’re buying. Simply because every single thing is factory fitted and there is no need for all this after market retro fitting work.

In my book, it’s always best to spend a little more and buy the top spec, so as to ensure a “zero regret” experience, and avoid the horrible feeling of “buyer’s remorse”...
100% agree, till date all my cars have been top spec.

Only here in US, i went with the base model of Toyota Highlander as I get most of the features which we get in a top end Indian model. But if ever I go with another car during my stay here, it would be a top end of whichever car I will buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks