Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 08:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

You’re just out of driving school? Then buy an older car say a lightly run automatic i10 at around 3 lakhs maximum. Change the engine oil, all filters, tyres, brake oil, atf fluid (expensive!) and coolant. Once you’re comfortable enough with this is the time to evaluate new cars let alone take any car into the highway. In any case get an automatic.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 08:59   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You’re just out of driving school? Then buy an older car say a lightly run automatic i10 at around 3 lakhs maximum. Change the engine oil, all filters, tyres, brake oil, atf fluid (expensive!) and coolant. Once you’re comfortable enough with this is the time to evaluate new cars let alone take any car into the highway. In any case get an automatic.
This is sound and good advice - undoubtedly.
But when following your heart, you may or may not wish to allow the “head” into the game...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 09:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is sound and good advice - undoubtedly.
But when following your heart, you may or may not wish to allow the “head” into the game...
Once the first few dings scratches and dents crop up you’ll regret buying new. I did when I was much younger.

Buy an old beater you can dump with a clear conscience but not lose too much money, once you’re comfortable with driving. Once you’re better at this game buy whatever you like, maybe two or three years later you’ll earn enough not to have to buy an entry level hatchback (buy used there too!)
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 09:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion: get a used Honda Jazz CVT for about 6-7L. No other car in it's category provides such space. I too support that first time buyer should buy used vehicle to get used to the road.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 10:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

For a first time buyer, getting a new car gives a peace of mind, with manufacturer warranty and other facilities such as roadside assistance.

Getting a comprehensive zero depreciation and return-to-invoice insurance for a brand new car is a breeze compared to a used car.

A used car is much more likely to have niggles that the owner has to get sorted out by paying out of his pocket, and a first time buyer is not as likely to understand the condition of a used car as much as an experienced buyer.

Stay away from a used car would be my advice to first time or rookie buyers.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 10:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Please do consider the VW polo and the Toyota liva. Both cars have scored well in the crash tests and although the price might be slightly higher than your budget, the polo will delight you for years to come. It's also year end so great time for bargaining.

Please do take a TD. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you!

Toyota Etios Liva was always on my mind. But the price is a lot for what it offers currently. And sets me off by about 1.5L extra.

I am sure VW Polo is a fun drive - many threads on bhp is proof. But i am also concerned about the DSG gearbox and engine related issues and the long term maintenance cost.

How is the VW service and service costs? If you have a Polo, can you share your experience with it?

And also, Polo comes with a 1L engine in Petrol, and since I am looking for Petrol, do you think that would be better than 1.2L tiago?
Old 9th December 2019, 12:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Liva is not available anymore in Mumbai. And it's built quality cannot be compared with Polo. For a first time buyer, yes Toyota makes more sense. VW service center may take the new owner for a ride till he becomes wise. Toyota service isn't very clean but best among a lot of 'target' oriented service centers.

Sorry, I was not aware that they have discontinued the Liva in Mumbai. The toyota website does list it and shows the price for sale in Mumbai too. Plus the gentleman resides in Chennai and again the website shows it available for sale in Chennai too. Please check once again and confirm if it really has been withdrawn from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrvenkataraman View Post
Thank you!

Toyota Etios Liva was always on my mind. But the price is a lot for what it offers currently. And sets me off by about 1.5L extra.

Liva Petrol base model G is available for about 5.3 lacs Ex showroom in Mumbai. I'm sure it will fit in your price range. Please check with a Toyota dealer in your home city for availability and final price.

Quote:
I am sure VW Polo is a fun drive - many threads on bhp is proof. But i am also concerned about the DSG gearbox and engine related issues and the long term maintenance cost.

How is the VW service and service costs? If you have a Polo, can you share your experience with it?

And also, Polo comes with a 1L engine in Petrol, and since I am looking for Petrol, do you think that would be better than 1.2L tiago?

Given your budget you can only afford the VW Polo Manual, which does not have the DSG gearbox, and is a tried and trusted car. Please do take a test drive of the car and see if it suits your driving style. Though its a 1 liter, it does have 76 PS and is reasonably fuel efficient. Plus the car has the solid feel that you seem to want.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Given your budget you can only afford the VW Polo Manual, which does not have the DSG gearbox, and is a tried and trusted car. Please do take a test drive of the car and see if it suits your driving style. Though its a 1 liter, it does have 76 PS and is reasonably fuel efficient. Plus the car has the solid feel that you seem to want.

What was your experience with the Toyota Etios? It's a pretty old car and is going to be discontinued right? Is it okay to buy an Etios now, considering the resale value, and other stuff? Coz, the kind of features that Tiago is offering at 5.5L, I am not sure if Etios offers. Hence the apprehension.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th December 2019 at 20:15. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes for better readability
Old 9th December 2019, 12:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was your experience with the Toyota Etios? It's a pretty old car and is going to be discontinued right? Is it okay to buy an Etios now, considering the resale value, and other stuff? Coz, the kind of features that Tiago is offering at 5.5L, I am not sure if Etios offers. Hence the apprehension.

I do not own a Toyota Liva, but have experienced driving it and been driven in it. Its a car built to a budget, and I personally do not like the centre console and the fact that the sheet metal is very thin, but the car is spacious, drives well, and is a low maintenance car. Engine is reliable and the Toyota service is stellar.

I do agree that the Tiago is more modern and has more features. If thats what catches your fancy, go for it.
Old 9th December 2019, 13:13   #25
BHPian

Mod Note: Back to back posts merged, please await Mod approval to edit the original post. Thanks.

Quote:
I do not own a Toyota Liva, but have experienced driving it and been driven in it.
====
I do agree that the Tiago is more modern and has more features. If thats what catches your fancy, go for it.

One of my major concerns is safety. Priorities are Safety, Space, Mileage, Maintenance costs, and in-car entertainment - in that order.

Etios is uber-spacious. But safety wise, i wasn't sure about it when I rode in the Etios. That's the reason I am apprehensive.

EDIT: Also, ETios is most likely to be discontinued this or next year. That also makes me more apprehensive about the future of the car, spare parts, service, etc.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th December 2019 at 13:25.
Old 9th December 2019, 13:19   #26
BHPian

@shrvenkataraman, if this is your first car and you intend to keep it for long then buy the one that has the best space and better shelf life left and give priority to space over features and within a few years that is what will matter the most. If it is also the first car in the family I would have also advised for the space taking priority and the cost of leaving the transmission to be manual for occasional chauffeur driven situations to drive your family around on your behalf when you will become more busy in times to come as you grow as a professional. So in my opinion Baleno and Renault Triber ticks those boxes even if the bare base variants. Used option is ruled out if this is a first in family kind of car since if you think status will be judged by this, and I am being practical. But yes, if your mind and heart are locked in to Tiago, remember its a good car and you will not get wrong buying it.
Old 9th December 2019, 13:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
@shrvenkataraman, if this is your first car and you intend to keep it for long then buy the one that has the best space and better shelf life left and give priority to space over features and within a few years that is what will matter the most.
====
But yes, if your mind and heart are locked in to Tiago, remember its a good car and you will not get wrong buying it.

This makes sense. Just that we are short on budget for a Triber or Baleno. Neither are having good offers, and Triber is largely out of my budget by 1 lakh or more. Plus, both cars are worst tin sheet metal type, and has no concern for safety - which is my first priority. That's the reason I didn't go with space as first priority. Tiago has good space for comfortable 5 people travel. I was once enamored with the Lodgy, but then it scored 0 stars in ncap and that drew the final straw. Just for space, i don't wanna take a chance on safety, that's the reason.

Quote:

VW Polo Manual is what i was looking for, but for the same features as Tiago, VW showrooms are quoting 7.6 lakhs for one variant above base variant, and 6.8 lakhs for base variant.

Note from Support: Please DO NOT post back-to-back on the same thread. To reply to multiple posts (or separate points in the same post), use the MULTI-QUOTE option instead.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2019 at 20:19. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
shrvenkataraman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

If it is a solid, safe car you want, why not get a used automatic car as others have suggested?

Get a used petrol automatic car. These are likely to be lightly used, since their fuel efficiency would've given their former owners a heart attack or two. I've seen so many lightly used 5 year old petrol automatics. Hell, I even got my wife a 8 year old petrol automatic which had barely run 30,000 Km! It's still in pristine condition.

Here are some options for you, all of which are lightly used:

1) 2014 Ford Ecosport Petrol AT at 6.5 lakhs - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&rk=4&isP=true
2) 2016 Ford Figo petrol AT at 5.5 lakhs - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=26&isP=false
3) 2015 Ford Ecosport Petrol AT at 6.7 lakhs - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=62&isP=false

Caveat: A used car loan for 4 lakhs will come costlier for you at as high as 15%...that's a real pity because I see a lot of sparingly used cars for the taking.

PM me if you decide to investigate these used cars, I can provide my known mechanic's number. He'll help establish that you're not getting an accident or flood damaged vehicle, plus checking for rust, odometer tampering etc.

Last edited by locusjag : 9th December 2019 at 14:11.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Polo petrol is very uninspiring to drive. VW service will be a gamble too, only it will cost you more bucks than the other gambles if something goes wrong.

Liva is too overpriced for its features. Toyota sales guys were trying sell me a Glanza over a Liva.

Tiago should offer the best balance of safety, features and fun to drive factors, with better space.
Old 9th December 2019, 14:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
PM me if you decide to investigate these used cars, I can provide my known mechanic's number. He'll help establish that you're not getting an accident or flood damaged vehicle, plus checking for rust, odometer tampering etc.
Plenty of us can assist with used vehicles - which area are you in?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks