Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 14:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Polo petrol is very uninspiring to drive. VW service will be a gamble too, only it will cost you more bucks than the other gambles if something goes wrong.

Liva is too overpriced for its features. Toyota sales guys were trying sell me a Glanza over a Liva.

Tiago should offer the best balance of safety, features and fun to drive factors, with better space.

I totally agree. Lanson Toyota LIVA is out of stock. Harsha Toyota has only one car, which they said was the Liva V Petrol, for which they quoted 7 lakhs even after offers. That's so much overpriced compared to the modern tiago.

Second, I contacted Ford dealerships, and they said Titanium Petrol variant MT Figo - they also had only white gold color, and gave a price of 7.6L.

In my honest opinion, I think the Polo is overrated and overpriced for what it offers and the hassles it comes with, after reading so much about it. It could be an enthusiast's car, but for the 1.0L petrol VW Polo's price, I am getting Tata Tiago JTP + 30-50k cash discount. So, it doesn't make sense to go for Polo ever.

Etios wise, the toyota dealers themselves are doubtful if it will have a next version in 2020 or if they will stick with glanza only. Uncertain future for the car with flimsy build quality and lack of features - didn't work for me.

I have again arrived at the Tata Tiago XZ only finally.

The reason I didn't consider a used car is because this is being bought as part of the marriage occasion in home. A new woman coming in, and as part of that, we are buying the car. So we didn't wanna go for used ones (as I was keen on Sunny Diesel used or Figo Aspire Diesel used - myself).
Old 9th December 2019, 16:16   #32
BHPian

For a first time buyer, I would suggest you go for a compact car like the Swift or Polo.

I currently drive a Swift ZXi+ petrol with AMT and its an excellent car especially for daily city commute. Apart from having a smooth and efficient 4 banger, it has excellent front seats with good bolstering which are very comfortable. Actually wanted to go for the manual but bought an AMT so my wife could drive it with ease!

My second choice-the Polo GT TSI (as the regular 1.2l 3 cyl engine is not as exciting). Like many others, I can vouch for the build quality offered by VW in its vehicles (I also drive a 2011 Vento 1.6 highline petrol and it has really smooth and punchy engine). But yearly maintenance is much higher than the Swift (actually more like double the amount!). So if you're looking at 'low cost of ownership', better off with the Swift. Also the petrol option would be a better bet as the diesel is quite noisy in my opinion.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:31   #33
BHPian

While some Tata cars can be good and the Tiago I am sure is a great highway machine despite having only three cylinders, I would highly recommend you buy something from the Suzuki Umbrella. This will allow you to get a feel for what is involved with owning and maintaining a car with the backing of what is arguably one of the greatest service networks in the world.
The Swift is a highly capable machine and can take bad roads with aplomb. My suggestion is that you buy one, put a 100,000 KM on it in the next few years and then look at other companies.

Additionally, since you are buying this to welcome a new daughter and wife to your home you have indicated that you are pre-owned averse. However, if you can make an exception, or find a new one, I'd suggest buying a Punto Abarth. You can keep it for a lifetime if you maintain it well.

Last edited by imp! : 9th December 2019 at 16:34.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 19:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrvenkataraman View Post
In my honest opinion, I think the Polo is overrated and overpriced for what it offers and the hassles it comes with, after reading so much about it. It could be an enthusiast's car, but for the 1.0L petrol VW Polo's price, I am getting Tata Tiago JTP + 30-50k cash discount. So, it doesn't make sense to go for Polo ever.
I have again arrived at the Tata Tiago XZ only finally.
The reason I didn't consider a used car is because this is being bought as part of the marriage occasion in home. A new woman coming in, and as part of that, we are buying the car.
Polo is a great car, but in the GT trim with the 1.5 litre engine.

Stay away from used - All my cars except the Nano have been used, so I know what it entails.

The more you think over this, the more confusion it will create. Tiago XZ is a good choice. Only advice I can offer is to try for the top end, since it might have more goodies / features. Again depending on your requirements, if you don't need them, the XZ should be just fine.
Old 9th December 2019, 22:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Polo is a great car, but in the GT trim with the 1.5 litre engine.

Stay away from used - All my cars except the Nano have been used, so I know what it entails.

The more you think over this, the more confusion it will create. Tiago XZ is a good choice. Only advice I can offer is to try for the top end, since it might have more goodies / features. Again depending on your requirements, if you don't need them, the XZ should be just fine.

Yes, after getting quotes from everyone, this is what I found.

Polo 1L Petrol - 7.6 lakhs (base variant).
Figo 1.2L Petrol Titanium - 7.4 lakhs
Swift 1.2L Petrol ZXi - 7.3 Lakhs
Liva 1.2L Petrol V model - 6.5 Lakhs.
Tata Tiago XZ Petrol - 5.6 Lakhs.

I have realised that Liva, Swift, Figo, and Polo do not deserve a single rupee of the premium that they are asking for beyond the Tata Tiago XZ's 5.6 Lakhs quote mark, especially given that they come with lesser features as opposed to the XZ Tiago.

So I have decided to go with the Tiago itself.

I can only think that Tiago is the most VFM hatch ever. Makes me wonder why people go for Swift or WagonR and such cars that are priced higher than they should be.
shrvenkataraman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 22:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can only think that Tiago is the most VFM hatch ever. Makes me wonder why people go for Swift or WagonR and such cars that are priced higher than they should be.
Maybe cos most people still associate Tata with the Indica days without realizing how far they have come. Anyways, great choice. I have Tiago Xz diesel which has run around 33000 km so far. Except for the battery change couple of months back no niggles so far. Quite happy with the decision.
Old 9th December 2019, 23:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Maybe cos most people still associate Tata with the Indica days without realizing how far they have come. Anyways, great choice. I have Tiago Xz diesel which has run around 33000 km so far. Except for the battery change couple of months back no niggles so far. Quite happy with the decision.

Thank you for reinforcing my decision Harry! What has been the maintenance cost per year for you?
Old 9th December 2019, 23:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for reinforcing my decision Harry! What has been the maintenance cost per year for you?
Only the regular service cost. 30000 km service costed me 4500. Your being petrol will obviously cost less.
Old 10th December 2019, 00:53   #39
BHPian

Congratulations on finally being able to make up your mind. Allow me to ruin the clarity of thought you have right now.

I was in a similar dilemma about 2.5 months back and ended up opting for the Figo. It seems that you are getting quite a nice discount on the Tiago which makes it a really sweet deal.

Just to set the facts straight, the Tiago equivalent in equipment to the Figo Titanium is the XZ+ and not the XZ. The only major difference being that Tiago XZ+ offers Android Auto / Apple Carplay whereas Figo Titanium has the rear adjustable head restraints.

This does not consider the fact that Figo is a physically larger car than the Tiago. Figo is longer, wider, has a longer wheelbase and a higher rated boot capacity.

Even though the Tiago is technically taller, my head would touch the roof liner on the Tiago but it didn't on the Figo (and Tigor) when I sat in the rear (I am 6ft tall and part of a family of tall people).

I was also seriously considering cars with a similar budget to yours but ended up stretching for the Figo Titanium Diesel (~8 Lac OTR Pune). The clinchers for me were:
1. Superior engine to anything else in the market.
2. Presence of rear adjustable head restraints as a passive safety feature.

This thread made me change the booking from Petrol to Diesel in the final moments. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...to-longer.html

For assistance with discounts, try giving a call to AckoDrive. They helped me get a better offer than what i could personally manage and helped me shave off ~₹25k off the final price that I had managed. This was actually clincher #3 in my case since I could finally afford what I actually wanted.

Figo Titanium Petrol via AckoDrive was ~ ₹6.7 lac OTR Pune, very close to your final budget.

Finally, happy shopping. Best of luck.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 04:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Would you be willing to consider a used car. If so, your budget opens up a lot more options. I understand that the loan may not cover a used car, but do inquire on it. You can get cars from a segment or two above which are around 5 years old within your budget
Old 10th December 2019, 08:41   #41
BHPian

Overnight update. Look no further and buy a 3/4 year old Honda Jazz.

Reason for change of heart: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-warranty.html (Honda India now offers 10-year warranty!)

You can thank me later.
Old 11th December 2019, 17:01   #42
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have finally decided to pay the booking amount for Tata Tiago XZ petrol. Anyone owning Tiago Petrol here?

Lakshmi Motors Chennai has quoted 5.7 Lakhs. Beyond that they aren't budging. KLN Motors quoted 5.57L - but that's exclusive of AMC, Extended Warranty and B2B insurance. If I include those, the cost comes to 5.72L at KLN. So, I have decided to go with Lakshmi motors.

I had this question. Is it advisable to take the extended warranty (most likely advisable i guess?) and the TATA AMC GOLD (not advisable?) ?

Some people say AMC for first year after purchase is not necessary. Is it valid?

I don't think we'll drive more than 10k kms in the first year as we are first time drivers and this is our very first car. So it would be very minimal in my opinion.

Also, the guy offered to do a teflon coating 3-coats free of cost. I asked for the amount in cash discount, but he said he's given the maximum he can with the discounts possible, but he can offer the teflon coating as he can talk to some 3m people and get it done. Is this good for the car?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th December 2019 at 17:06. Reason: Fixed formatting of text, thanks
shrvenkataraman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:54   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I had this question. Is it advisable to take the extended warranty (most likely advisable i guess?) and the TATA AMC GOLD (not advisable?) ?

Some people say AMC for first year after purchase is not necessary. Is it valid?

I don't think we'll drive more than 10k kms in the first year as we are first time drivers and this is our very first car. So it would be very minimal in my opinion.

Also, the guy offered to do a teflon coating 3-coats free of cost. I asked for the amount in cash discount, but he said he's given the maximum he can with the discounts possible, but he can offer the teflon coating as he can talk to some 3m people and get it done. Is this good for the car?
Congrats! I am happy for you and I think it is good that you followed your heart.

Yes certainly take the extended warranty. It is worth it. Take the AMC also - considering possibilities of Tata’s Quality consistency, its better to be safe.
When you do your insurance , please ask for full comprehensive and add Zero Dep. This is a good thing to do as a first time driver and in the increasing traffic chaos around Madras or any other place.

And most certainly take the free of cost Teflon coating. In Madras, with the salty air, cars do tend to rust, so make sure the under body is well protected with this Teflon and Rust proofing etc.

It is your first car. Spend a bit of money to ensure it is well protected. And above all, Enjoy the purchase!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 18:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
True, the Tiago offers good VFM, but good luck with the TATA experience (no offense to the brand but the dealers are generally not good). The Swift is a bit pricey but is far better looking in the ZXi+ trim in my opinion (especially the wheels) and offers a really smooth 4 cylinder engine and far more comfortable. My old 2012 Brio's 4 banger was also pretty good.
Old 11th December 2019, 19:24   #45
BHPian

I have heard considerably about the not on-par Tata after sales service, and at the pace that Tata is working very very hard on rebranding themselves, their service will catch up next. Maruti Suzuki's service network, etc., may be good, but their salesmen are cocky, and the company itself is lethargic in terms of safety. In my opinion, MSIL is not very much different from Chevrolet. Just that, MSIL has that brand that people have grown to trust with their money (sadly not with their life though).

I value my life over my money. So, a couple thousand extra on service, or issues - won't be a problem for me.

I do agree that Swift ZXi or + variant would be better - 4 cylinder engine, etc. But all things considered, Tiago is a much better car for the price it's offered at, for what it offers in terms of features as opposed to a Swift. Swift is only good at ZXi+ trims and beyond - and at that range, it's way too overpriced. I am sorry if I am offending Swift or any maruti range owners with this, but it's just the fact.

Tiago XZ Petrol at 5.65L OTR is much better than the MSIL Swift at 8.3-8.5L OTR. That's what I could understand after much research.
shrvenkataraman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed