Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 21:42   #121
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Buying my first car, requesting advice on the choices

Consider buying used Skoda Rapid, that falls below 6Lakhs and fun to drive car.
Old 21st January 2020, 14:30   #122
BHPian

Compact/Small Hatchback (city driven) for newbie drivers

We are planning to replace our third car (apart from Ecosport & Duster) 14yr old Alto LX (without Power Steering/Power Windows) with a small/compact hatchback. The problem with the current car is the lack of power steering and its 14 yrs old.

The requirements are:

1: Small/Compact Hatchback (a smaller footprint) 99% city driven.
2: Peppy Engine.
3: Easy Maneuverability & Visibility (Lesser the blind spots, the better).
4: 90% of the time the car will be driven with max 2 passengers.
5: Most Important, this will be driven by two newbie drivers @ home (they have driven max 300 kms until now including the driving classes). We take into account the possibility of having scratches/dents. So, thinking also of pre-owned route.
6: AT would be nice

With, the alto LX (2008) exchanged, we don't want to invest more 2-3 lacks. We were thinking about, Used Brio. But, since its not even in the new -market, we were worried about replacement parts.

Can you guys suggest for any other car which fits the requirement ?

Last edited by shashi792 : 21st January 2020 at 14:33. Reason: Few minor details added
Old 21st January 2020, 14:43   #123
BHPian

Re: Compact/Small Hatchback (city driven) for newbie drivers

A. Alto K10

1. Yes, it is very compact for city usage.
2. Alto K10's power to weight ratio puts cars of higher segments in shame too, so no worries about peppiness in Alto K10.
3. Maruti's are generally easy to maneuver, provided their less weight.
4. Yes, it is very easy to drive for newbies.
5. AMT is on offer, the OTR price is nearly 5 lakhs.

Other options include the 2020 Renault Kwid, which I would prefer over the K10.

OTR price for Kwid 1.0 RXT Auto in your city is around 5.66 lakhs and yes, Kwid ticks all the boxes according to your requirements.
THE_DRIFTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 14:58   #124
BHPian

The new Renault Kwid AT is a superb choice. It has both the drive ability and compactness attributed to it. Looks neat too. Go for the available top variant which will satisfy most of your needs on a long term basis. Basically, the urge to upgrade will be subdued unless there is a need for a new vehicle of a different form.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 15:08   #125
BHPian

I would suggest the S-Presso. I know its a tad-bit over the budget you specified. But look at the brighter side,
a. A new car, not the Alto again.
b. The high driving position helps a newbie in driving judgement.
c. As you already have 2 SUV body styles, the newbies can easily adjust to them once comfortable with the mini SUV, S-Presso.
d. Lastly, its a Maruti and fairly new in the market. (Reliability, Service and Spare part availability will never be a issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
Since, this might be a car to be used only for next 2 - 3 Yrs max. We don't want to invest more. Once, the newbie's get the grip on driving, we plan to get them a car from a class above (Sedan/CSUV/Full-Hatch).

In that case, it is best to look into a used car market. I believe you will get a used swift/i10/ritz in your budget and according to your need.
- I sold my 2011 New model Swift VDi for 2L in December (in exchange of a Ecosport)
- Also, a friend sold his immaculately maintained 2011, 3rd Gen Honda City for 2L (to a private owner).

Last edited by iamahunter : 21st January 2020 at 15:21.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 15:11   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_DRIFTER View Post
2020 Renault Kwid, which I would prefer over the K10.

OTR price for Kwid 1.0 RXT Auto in your city is around 5.66 lakhs and yes, Kwid ticks all the boxes according to your requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
The new Renault Kwid AT is a superb choice. It has both the drive ability and compactness attributed to it. Looks neat too. Go for the available top variant which will satisfy most of your needs on a long term basis. Basically, the urge to upgrade will be subdued unless there is a need for a new vehicle of a different form.
We had two concerns with the Kwid 1.0 (atleast 2 yrs before).
1) When we were at Trident Renault to drop our Duster for service, we saw a kwid which had met with an accident @ a signal light closer to the showroom. The way the kwid had crumbled, said a lot about the built quality. Has it improved any now ?
2) Kwid did not have a manual mode for the AMT. I would like to know from folks who own KWID AMT, did they miss having a manual mode on the KWID AMT.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 15:15   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
I know its a tad-bit over the budget you specified. But look at the brighter side,
Since, this might be a car to be used only for next 2 - 3 Yrs max. We don't want to invest more. Once, the newbie's get the grip on driving, we plan to get them a car from a class above (Sedan/CSUV/Full-Hatch).
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 15:15   #128
BHPian

Assuming that the car will be driven in Bangalore, as I can see from your profile, the following cars can be checked out.

1) Celerio
2) Renault Kwid Climber .
3) MS S-Presso..

Being a new kid on the block, I feel S-Presso is the most peppiest in the group and good as a long term investment.

However, I would caution you about your Alto LX exchange, 2- 3 lakhs may not be enough to buy any of these in Automatic. You may need to shell out more.You may be able to reduce the gap with an exchange with Maruti True Value.
commonman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 15:20   #129
BHPian

Quote:
The way the kwid had crumbled, said a lot about the built quality. Has it improved any now ?
No Rant here! For the sake of the comment, Alto/Eon/S-Presso is no stronger than Kwid.

When your concern is on the build, then you have to look beyond A Segment cars. Tata Tiago is the immediate better built car from the A+ segment.

Last edited by saisree : 21st January 2020 at 15:22.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 15:24   #130
BHPian

Quote:
We had two concerns with the Kwid 1.0 (atleast 2 yrs before).
1) When we were at Trident Renault to drop our Duster for service, we saw a kwid which had met with an accident @ a signal light closer to the showroom. The way the kwid had crumbled, said a lot about the built quality. Has it improved any now ?
2) Kwid did not have a manual mode for the AMT. I would like to know from folks who own KWID AMT, did they miss having a manual mode on the KWID AMT.
1. Not trying to offend any owner but I would like to tell you that as per your requirements, all the cars in these categories have a very light build quality and this is especially the scene with MS cars.
I cannot guarantee if they improved the build quality but the increase in weight would lead to a somewhat better build.

2. I do not own one but I have test driven many AT cars without manual mode including the Kwid and I would say that it does not compromise the driving part to an extent that you should reject Kwid.

As a side note, I would suggest that a person should do the first few thousand kilometers of drive in a manual car, not in an automatic. This is because if a person becomes an expert in driving manual cars, then automatic is not hard for them but if a person learns driving on an automatic car then it would be somewhat difficult to drive a manual car.
THE_DRIFTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 15:28   #131
BHPian

Quote:
No Rant here! For the sake of the comment, Alto/Eon/S-Presso is no stronger than Kwid.

When your concern is on the build, then you have to look beyond A Segment cars. Tata Tiago is the immediate better built car from the A+ segment.
I've seen the Eon built quality. Its not any better than my current Alto or the Kwid.

Quote:
Tata Tiago is the immediate better built car from the A+ segment.
This is something we missed.
Old 21st January 2020, 15:53   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1: Small/Compact Hatchback (a smaller footprint) 99% city driven.
2: Peppy Engine.
3: Easy Maneuverability & Visibility (Lesser the blind spots, the better).
4: 90% of the time the car will be driven with max 2 passengers.
5: Most Important, this will be driven by two newbie drivers @ home (they have driven max 300 kms until now including the driving classes). We take into account the possibility of having scratches/dents. So, thinking also of pre-owned route.
6: AT would be nice
If you are thinking of pre-owned cars in 2-3L budget, then the first gen i10 could be a very good fit for your requirements. It has a compact footprint, great all round visibility and good engines (irde=driveability and kappa=peppy)

Being a Hyundai, service and spare parts also would not be a problem, especially in Bangalore.

You could even get an AT within 3L, only issue would be the low FE.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 16:03   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So why not buy them a used automatic kwid or i10? As the newbie has to learn and doubtless bash the car around a bit why waste money on a new car?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 16:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
.... first gen i10 could be a very good fit for your requirements. It has a compact footprint, great all round visibility and good engines (irde=driveability and kappa=peppy)

Being a Hyundai, service and spare parts also would not be a problem, especially in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
So why not buy them a used automatic kwid or i10? As the newbie has to learn and doubtless bash the car around a bit why waste money on a new car?
Yes, also thinking about the pre-owned route. Pre-owned i10 also fits the bill.

I think. At times, for example, if a fender/door gets a dent or clutch gets worn out, its should not cost a bomb to replace (if its beyond repair) due to parts unavailability.

Eventhough, we like Brio, part replacement/availability is something we worry about. We are not so much worried about the regular maintenance costs, but metal/paint/bigger part damages might be higher.

Folks who have brought Honda Brio through a pre-owned route can share their experience.

For now, its looks like we have

1: Alto k10 - New
2: Kwid 1.0 - New
3: S-presso - New
4: i10 - Pre-owned
5: Brio - Pre-owned
Old 21st January 2020, 16:51   #135
Senior - BHPian

As soon as the newbie gets some confidence, they would want to upgrade as soon as possible to a nicer car. Apart from the Brio, all other cars listed above are A Segment. Why do you want to unnecessarily take the hit because of short ownership?

The newbie can migrate to Ecosport directly or a new third car, if you give that person a few more days with the car.

I would recommend to not buy an AT, as I believe its important for Newbies to be comfortable with a stick shift, so that they are prepared for the car-life ahead. People who learn on ATs, seldom learn Stick shifts.

Most Viewed