Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2007, 17:26   #46
BHPian

It is not that straight forward. Fuel prices of future and interest accrued on upfront 70K investment have to be taken in to account. Added to that are depreciation and maintenance costs.
Old 9th March 2007, 23:32   #47

agreed shree

yes shree, but as it can not be calculated upfront, so I have avoided them.

And anyways if we consider it, I do not think I will reduce the tenure. Infact it may increase for 1500kms running. The entire scenario would change if my running was double!
Old 10th March 2007, 01:37   #48
BHPian

I dont understand the hype about the new generation of diesel cars. For all those raving about drivability and acceleration... the Swift petrol is anyday quicker than the diesel, and if you drive it the right way its pretty quick as compared to most midrange saloons and hatches. Add to that the vibrations and the rattle which comes in at high rpm on the diesel(versus the nice roar of a petrol), and you have something thats quite inferior. And you have to pay a lot more for the diesel car.

In the end, the buyer of a diesel car is only concerned about minimizing cost. This minimization of cost can be done by cutting corners. Thats why options such as alloy wheels are omitted from the diesel versions.

Within your budget, if you want a nice car to drive, buy a Swift petrol Zxi. If you want a spacious cheap runabout with low operating cost.. get the Indica diesel.

Last edited by theEnd : 10th March 2007 at 01:38.
Old 10th March 2007, 01:58   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Add to that the vibrations and the rattle which comes in at high rpm on the diesel(versus the nice roar of a petrol), and you have something thats quite inferior. And you have to pay a lot more for the diesel car.
Hi theEnd, I beg to differ on this point made by you. If you have driven the Swift Diesel at full blast you wouldn't have noticed rattles. It is as smooth as the Petrol variant.
Old 10th March 2007, 10:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I dont understand the hype about the new generation of diesel cars. For all those raving about drivability and acceleration... the Swift petrol is anyday quicker than the diesel, and if you drive it the right way its pretty quick as compared to most midrange saloons and hatches. Add to that the vibrations and the rattle which comes in at high rpm on the diesel(versus the nice roar of a petrol), and you have something thats quite inferior. And you have to pay a lot more for the diesel car.
We are not talking about flat out acceleration (0-100kmph). Its the in-gear acceleration where Swift Diesel takes the cake. And that transforms is to much lesser gear shifts, and overtaking made easy, specially in crowded city traffic.
Old 10th March 2007, 22:26   #51
BHPian

I'm sorry.. Sometimes I get into a diesel bashing mode (mostly because dad bought a Fiesta diesel instead of the exciting 1.6 duratec). Certainly the torque of diesels makes gearchanges less frequent in city driving, and today's generation of diesel's are far more refined than the previous.. to a point where they are almost as quiet as petrols.

Another plus point for the Swift diesel is that it is a new engine, as opposed to the petrol unit which is based on a design that is more than a decade old.
Old 11th March 2007, 12:27   #52
BHPian

do we have rear disc brakes as an option for Swift VDi ABS.
Old 12th March 2007, 09:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by higautham View Post
do we have rear disc brakes as an option for Swift VDi ABS.

Any info about this

and one more thing , any news of maruti launchin swift with an ZDi version.

http://www.lovepostcards.net/288100 )))))))))))))))
Old 5th April 2007, 12:15   #54

Update.......

Finally I had enough of all the confusion. I have got myself TATA Xeta!

No hard feelings about Maruti SWIFT, but money does matter! Had a very bad February-March in terms of sal. increments. So considering the "Value for Money" aspect I have got myself a TATA Xeta - GLG (1.2 version) on 19th March 2007. So far have drove 550kms. and had NO issues with the Car.

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions from all of U.

Most Viewed