Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Altroz 97 51.87%
Maruti Baleno 10 5.35%
Hyundai Elite i20 25 13.37%
Hyundai Grand i10 1 0.53%
Volkswagen Polo 21 11.23%
Ford Figo 24 12.83%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 3.74%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 2 1.07%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 12:51   #46
BHPian

Re: Altroz P or the new i20 1.2P

As a package if altroz appeals to you, wait for the turbo variant. We have a thread pin pointing on various issues modern Hyundai's have. Along with these thoughts, high price and not so peppy 1.2 NA engine, I wouldn't suggest the i20.

If features such as touchscreen and sunroof etc don't matter and one is a bit flexible with budget, entry level compact SUV's can be given a look.

Also, lookout the freestyle titanium plus petrol. It's a well priced and decently fun to drive machine and comes with added bonus of 6 airbags.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 20th November 2020 at 12:57.
Old 20th November 2020, 12:54   #47
BHPian

If Altroz's biggest issue, the 1.2 Petrol engine isnt causing a problem and you are ok with it then you can very well go ahead and have the car. Altroz's safety rating is its trump card and it is highly unlikely that the new i20 is doing to match its NCAP ratings. Other than that I think both cars should be neck to neck. Altroz might be having slightly better suspension setup while i20 might be having better interior fit and finish. But for extra 70-80K over the XT i20 sportz doesnt even have rear adjustable headrest and auto climate control.
Turbokick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

The day has come when a Tata car is giving customers a second thought about their default choice!

Here are the differences I noted from your description:

Advantage Altroz:
1) Drivability
2) Better seats
3) Safety
4) Decent fuel economy

Advantage i20:
1) Refinement
2) Better brand value.

I won't comment on the safety of the i20 unless it's tested. Chances are, it's not very safe.

I feel your friend can get better offers on the Altroz which will make far more sense than the overpriced i20. Your paying big bucks for the supposed 'brand value' with the Hyundai!

Personally, I would choose drivability over outright refinement.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post

We were almost final on the new i20 1.2P

My friend is leaning towards the i20 Sportz

Swift and Baleno were not considered due to their less than stellar build although their engine is the best of the lot.
I am not an ‘esteemed BHPian’, just a newbie, and haven’t driven or experienced either of the cars in real life. However, here is my two cents on this topic:

1. Your friend seems to be biased towards the i20, and despite having a great long TD with the Altroz, he still wanted to go for i20. Is there any particular reason for this?

2. You seem to be concerned about safety and features more than performance; so you won’t mind missing out on the Turbo-Petrol of the i20.

3. You’ve had a great experience with the Tata, and I believe that it is a great package overall, with plenty of features and an exceptional safety rating. I think you should go for it. It suits your requirements better than the i20.
EightSix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:19   #50
BHPian

Freestyle is a great car with good ground clearance and saftey kit, but it is short on space. Further CSUVs under 9L miss out on a lot of important features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The day has come when a Tata car is giving customers a second thought about their default choice!

I won't comment on the safety of the i20 unless it's tested. Chances are, it's not very safe.

I feel your friend can get better offers on the Altroz which will make far more sense than the overpriced i20. Your paying big bucks for the supposed 'brand value' with the Hyundai!

Personally, I would choose drivability over outright refinement.
I agree but the hit or miss Tata after Sales Service and perceived brand value of i20 is making my friend wary of Altroz. We have experience of Hyundai ASS, although they are no saints, their service is okay. But we have heard too many horror stories of less than stellar finishing and service of Tata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Altroz's safety rating is its trump card and it is highly unlikely that the new i20 is doing to match its NCAP ratings. Other than that I think both cars should be neck to neck. Altroz might be having slightly better suspension setup while i20 might be having better interior fit and finish. But for extra 70-80K over the XT i20 sportz doesnt even have rear adjustable headrest and auto climate control.
That is where his dilemma is!
Does safety+Ride quality ranks above ASS/refinement/Brand value?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2020 at 13:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and responded to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 20th November 2020, 13:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Freestyle is a great car with good ground clearance and saftey kit, but it is short on space. Further CSUVs under 9L miss out on a lot of important features.
Are you considering the Freestyle? Isn’t it a tad bit old? Is space a key criteria? What other requirements does your friend have? (i.e. is GC a requirement)

I see that you have discarded the idea of a lower variant of a higher segment already, and you are right that they lack in features. Even pre-owned cars don’t appeal to your friend, so you have a limited choice.

As far as I can see on this thread, Altroz wins to i20 hands down! Still, in case you are considering the Freestyle, a test drive is definitely worth it.
Old 20th November 2020, 13:37   #52
BHPian

Wait for the Altroz turbo petrol - and then blindly go for it
Old 20th November 2020, 13:58   #53
BHPian

I’m no expert but I can share below points based on my ownership experience,

1. We own a Tiago petrol, considering altroz shares the same engine, the engine will be the weakest point of altroz. The engine is not only unrefined(sounds like diesel), it has very poor tuning as well. Power delivery in low rpm is extremely jerky and inconsistent. On top of that due to the weight of the car, you’ll not get much FE either.
Apart from this issue the car is best in its class in all other aspects.

2. I used to own a grand i10, although the engine was very refined it lacked power and was quite thirsty too.
Also maintaining a Hyundai car becomes quite expensive as its ages.

So if you are ok with altroz’s petrol engine, it’s a way better VFM package.
anshuman_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 14:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_b View Post
We own a Tiago petrol, considering altroz shares the same engine, the engine will be the weakest point of altroz. The engine is not only unrefined(sounds like diesel), it has very poor tuning as well. Power delivery in low rpm is extremely jerky and inconsistent. On top of that due to the weight of the car, you’ll not get much FE either.
So if you are ok with altroz’s petrol engine, it’s a way better VFM package.
That is the thing, I found the fuel efficiency of Altroz to be very good; 16.5 (MID figure) with four on board on varying road conditions and elevation is a very good figure imho. Maybe BS6 iteration of 1.2 Revotron has improved on low end power delivery and efficiency.

On the other hand, how does the 1.2 Revotron fare in terms of Reliability and maintenance ?
Old 20th November 2020, 15:11   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, how does the 1.2 Revotron fare in terms of Reliability and maintenance ?
Refer this thread for an endurance run conducted by Tata where the Tiago petrol with Revotron 1.2 engine, was run non-stop for 50000 kms and 18 days and at high speeds.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ge-vrde-7.html (Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE)

As such, I don't remember reading about any reliability issues faced by any user.

All the best and happy shopping!
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 15:14   #56
BHPian

I am in the same boat!

I was however comparing i20 P Asta and Altroz P XZ - where exists a price difference of 1.6 lacs Ex-Showroom.

I drove the Altroz P XT last week for 150 kms and I think I will be able to live with that power delivery!

I found it very hard to go from 80 kmph to 100+ kmph but then again, it is a new car.
Till 80 kmph I am fine with the pickup.

Long story short - I am waiting for the Altroz P Turbo (Manual ).
Old 20th November 2020, 15:34   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion: Altroz Turbo Petrol if your friend can wait for it.

Have experienced Tata ownership for 20 years now, and also had a Ford & a Maruti currently. There is no black & white with any of these - or other brands when it comes to servicing. Sales - have seen and heard about the un-interested Maruti showrooms. End of the day, it's your rapport with the Service Advisor and your mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
I am not an ‘esteemed BHPian’,
But what matters is you are here - a TBHP-ian ! And the value of your posts.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 15:43   #58
BHPian

Why not try out the Nissan magnite? Release in couple of days.

Obviously depends on how Nissan service is at your place.
Old 20th November 2020, 15:52   #59
BHPian

Quote:

That is where his dilemma is!
Does safety+Ride quality ranks above ASS/refinement/Brand value?
Question 1.
How many times would you visit the ASS in a 5 year ownership period (most of us use FNG's post that..).
Question 2
Refinement is a relative term, I love hearing the engine sound. From experience, both are pretty comparable in terms of refinement. Also you mentioned that the refinement is only an issue on highways - how much of your friends time will be spent on highway.
Question 3
Brand Value - Honestly the only 'Brand' with Value would be the German trio or equivalents (Jaguar, LR,etc). Hyundai is more a taxi brand nowadays TBH. Of my last 10 rides in Uber/ Ola and the like 8 have been XCents!

Also - if refinement on highways is important as he drives a lot on highways - then SAFETY is MORE (sorry for the CAPS) important anyday.

I am not answering your questions - just trying to make you think
Old 20th November 2020, 15:58   #60
BHPian

Altroz. Simple. If the engine is not a deal-breaker that's the one to go for. For 9l OTR the top spec has everything.

As for the niggles, Altroz seems to have much lesser of those, from what I can gather, compared to first generation releases of their other models. So that is a good thing.

Most Viewed