Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Altroz 97 51.87%
Maruti Baleno 10 5.35%
Hyundai Elite i20 25 13.37%
Hyundai Grand i10 1 0.53%
Volkswagen Polo 21 11.23%
Ford Figo 24 12.83%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 3.74%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 2 1.07%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 16:25   #61
BHPian

Re: Altroz P or the new i20 1.2P

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My suggestion: Altroz Turbo Petrol if your friend can wait for it.
Have experienced Tata ownership for 20 years now, and also had a Ford & a Maruti currently. There is no black & white with any of these - or other brands when it comes to servicing. Sales - have seen and heard about the un-interested Maruti showrooms. End of the day, it's your rapport with the Service Advisor and your mechanic.
Tata isn't too keen on launching the Turbo Petrol it seems. For the last 9 months we have been hearing that Altroz Turbo Petrol will be launching this festive season. We are yet to hear any concrete news about it.

Agreed with the SA part; a lot depends upon it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Why not try out the Nissan magnite? Release in couple of days.

Obviously depends on how Nissan service is at your place.
I also suggested it, but my friend and to some extent I too don't have much faith in Nissan Brand on account of dwindling number of Nissan Dealerships in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Question 1.
How many times would you visit the ASS in a 5 year ownership period (most of us use FNG's post that..).
Brand Value - Honestly the only 'Brand' with Value would be the German trio or equivalents (Jaguar, LR,etc). Hyundai is more a taxi brand nowadays TBH. Of my last 10 rides in Uber/ Ola and the like 8 have been XCents!
Also - if refinement on highways is important as he drives a lot on highways - then SAFETY is MORE (sorry for the CAPS) important anyday.
I am not answering your questions - just trying to make you think
Whatever you,I and over 90% people in this forum think about Altroz, i20 is still a more aspirational product for majority of car buyers!

I myself will go for Altroz any day over i20 at this moment. On the other hand if i20 scores at least 4 stars in NCAP (which is highly unlikely) then it becomes a very enticing proposition.
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 16:43   #62
BHPian

Re: Altroz P or the new i20 1.2P

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post

Whatever you,I and over 90% people in this forum think about Altroz, i20 is still a more aspirational product for majority of car buyers!

I myself will go for Altroz any day over i20 at this moment. On the other hand if i20 scores at least 4 stars in NCAP (which is highly unlikely) then it becomes a very enticing proposition.
You are correct and I wouldn't fault anyone selecting the i20. But, then thats the difference in being 'knowledgeable' as most on this forum are and the general populace.

Also, resale value wise - a 7 year old car (Altroz vs. i20) will fetch you say 30-50K more (Hyundai) thats about 4-7K per year (500 per month of ownership?) and if the IDV is lower for this car over its ownership, you more than make up for this difference as well. Just a lateral thought.
Old 22nd November 2020, 22:52   #63

Altroz xz vs Swift zxi plus

Hello guys this is my first post on the forum. Please excuse for any mistakes.

We are looking to buy first car for our family. I'm still a student and my dad is now retired. The car will be used by him primarily to visit our native maybe once or twice a month which is 30kms from my place. I like Altroz for the space, safety and features it offers for the same price of swift. But my dad is adamant on getting swift because of the small footprint and because of the brand.The TATA dealership in my city(Udupi, Karnataka) is a new one which was opened 3 weeks ago. They don't have any service station as of now and the waiting period for altroz is around 2 months whereas we will get the swift in a week. Our budget is 9.2 lakhs otr( extended from 7 lakhs). Which car would suit our needs?.

We have already booked the swift and have payed some amount for the same. Should we cancel the booking and go for Altroz? or should we go ahead with the swift?
thush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 23:47   #64
BHPian

Re: Altroz xz vs Swift zxi plus

Hello,

Stay with Swift. Being the first car, its the safest option but I don't support the decision to spend extra for ZXi Plus as I feel it's over priced.

But as you have already booked it and money is paid, there is no need in my personal opinion to change the variant or cancel it for Altroz.

Yes indeed Tata has 5 star safety ratings & many here will definitely chose it for that reason only.

However, Maruti is still the best bet for someone starting their car ownership with first car. Just drive it with that safety aspect in mind. Accidents are unpredictable, can happen anytime but with Maruti, take extra caution with your driving judgement !!

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 00:28   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the entire argument of Maruti being “safe” for first timers hilariously absurd. Objectively, there is nothing that the Swift is better at than the Altroz except for performance, and that is mainly down to its ultra light weight. Don’t follow the herd mentality approach blindly. Altroz is undoubtedly the superior product here and you should go for it. Buy the gold AMC with it for assured zero maintenance.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 00:51   #66
BHPian

The Swift top version is just too overpriced. Altroz is a "premium hatchback" (essentially a segment above) and comes with all the creature comforts too. Swift is a plausible choice just for the peace of mind, and a peppier engine. But your use case may be satisfied very well by the Altroz. The Altroz is much safer going by the solid build and the NCAP rating. I'd suggest getting the extended warranty for sure though.
gusfring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:53   #67
BHPian

The reason many first time buyers prefer Maruti Suzuki, is due to low cost of maintenance. Which is not a wrong mindset. However their car's build quality today is abysmal. They have the tinny feeling due to thin sheet metal, which is isn't confidence inspiring at all. Everything is build to look good but not necessarily feel good.

You will have to decide what is your priority. If it is better drivability, established service support, at the cost of a relatively less safer car, it should be the Swift.

If you are willing to take the risk with a newer car, with a weaker engine, but is premium and safer and more value for the purchase price paid, it should be the Altroz.

Evaluate the product itself on the selection criteria's you have. For example:

- Does it feel better to drive,
- Does it fit in all family members comfortably
- Is it safer
- Is it fuel efficient
- Is it reliable

Your day to day use is where you will feel the pinch if you just decide on a car on the basis of the brand name or intuition, rather than its utility to you.

Don't look at service support for now. Both cars will be new and won't cost a lot to maintain, and your visit to the service centre will be capped at a couple of times a year.

Also, have you also evaluated the Jazz? It had better build quality than Swift, at the same time also has an equally reliable engine (though not as fun to drive). The car is spacious and doesn't feel like a hatchback at all, from the inside. I would consider it as an alternative to the Altroz, and not the Swift.
omar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 06:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thush View Post
Our budget is 9.2 lakhs otr( extended from 7 lakhs). Which car would suit our needs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Also, have you also evaluated the Jazz? It had better build quality than Swift, at the same time also has an equally reliable engine (though not as fun to drive). The car is spacious and doesn't feel like a hatchback at all, from the inside. I would consider it as an alternative to the Altroz, and not the Swift.
+1 to this.

The Jazz V MT is bang on at 9.2L before discounts. It’s spacious enough to fit an entire family inside and, in my opinion, will be a bulletproof first car ownership experience for the next 10-15 yrs. Hondas can last forever with just routine maintenance, especially with the MT.

You need a car with proven reliability especially since your dad is retired, I would go with the Honda on this one. He might not have the patience to constantly visit the ASC especially once the car ages post the warranty period.

I’m assuming used cars aren’t considered by you?

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 23rd November 2020 at 06:21.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are looking to buy first car for our family.
I would have suggested the Altroz to you, but since you are from Udupi, I will not. The dealer (its the same one from Mangalore) is not known for good service experience. But then as someone else suggested, you wouldn't need them much for the first few years, so maybe you can ignore that part.

My suggestion is ignore the Swift also and go for the Ford Freestyle. It has very good safety features and is reliable. Best part is that the Udupi dealership has very good service. It's not for nothing that you see a lot of Fords in Udupi. You can even buy upto 6 years warranty.

And don't forget that a Ford has the cheapest service cost over it's lifetime. I have an Alto and a Ford Aspire, and the service bill of the Aspire is always less than my Alto's.

Just test drive one before rejecting it.

PM me if you need help with anything specific.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:37   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post

We didn't consider Jazz as only the mid variant is in our budget and Jazz doesn't get adjustable headrests in the rear.
thush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:24   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Hello,

Stay with Swift. Being the first car, its the safest option but I don't support the decision to spend extra for ZXi Plus as I feel it's over priced.

But as you have already booked it and money is paid, there is no need in my personal opinion to change the variant or cancel it for Altroz.
Yes he does!
Swift is maybe a popular choice! but OP's running is only 100-200 KM a month, so efficiency should not be much of an issue. Since this would be the only car in the family it needs to be safe and reliable:

Coming to choices the OP has a good budget:

> Freestyle Titanium Plus : Good ground clearance, good safety kit with ESC, Hill Hold & 6 Airbags, fairly safer than a Swift.

> Altroz would be the default choice if not for the dicey dealership situation and slightly under powered engine, but i believe its ride quality and safety aspect more than makes up for it.

> Honda Jazz is also a good choice but slightly underpowered and in 9 lakhs one might not get all the necessary feature and bells & whistles which other cars in the list have.

OP and his Dad should go and test drive the Freestyle and Jazz they are both safer and as reliable as swift!
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:27   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys this is my first post on the forum. Please excuse for any mistakes.

We are looking to buy first car for our family. I'm still a student and my dad is now retired. The car will be used by him primarily to visit our native maybe once or twice a month which is 30kms from my place. I like Altroz for the space, safety and features it offers for the same price of swift. But my dad is adamant on getting swift because of the small footprint and because of the brand.The TATA dealership in my city(Udupi, Karnataka) is a new one which was opened 3 weeks ago. They don't have any service station as of now and the waiting period for altroz is around 2 months whereas we will get the swift in a week. Our budget is 9.2 lakhs otr( extended from 7 lakhs). Which car would suit our needs?.

We have already booked the swift and have payed some amount for the same. Should we cancel the booking and go for Altroz? or should we go ahead with the swift?
I think getting the Freestyle Titanium is a more sensible decision rather than the Swift as the car is better built and has some extra safety features too for the same price and not to mention its lower cost of maintenance.
But if at all your dad wants only a Suzuki car to come home then you should definitely consider the Baleno Zeta/Alpha because Swift at 9.2 lacs feels too overpriced for what it offeres.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 23rd November 2020 at 16:30.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 16:40   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

My suggestion is ignore the Swift also and go for the Ford Freestyle. It has very good safety features and is reliable. Best part is that the Udupi dealership has very good service. It's not for nothing that you see a lot of Fords in Udupi. You can even buy upto 6 years warranty.
Sorry for the late post. We checked out the freestyle. Dealership experience was awesome. Much better than that of Tata and Maruti suzuki. The car ticked all our boxes but I felt claustrophobic due to the all black interiors(even roof). So we had to drop the car unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahilrai166 View Post
I think getting the Freestyle Titanium is a more sensible decision rather than the Swift as the car is better built and has some extra safety features too for the same price and not to mention its lower cost of maintenance.
But if at all your dad wants only a Suzuki car to come home then you should definitely consider the Baleno Zeta/Alpha because Swift at 9.2 lacs feels too overpriced for what it offeres.
Thanks for the suggestion. We went to the Nexa showroom and even we felt the same. Have booked Baleno zeta and awaiting delivery now.
Altroz ticked all our boxes and we were ready to go ahead with the car irrespective of the new dealership but delivery period for the Altroz as well as Tiago was a minimum of 2 months. Maruti dealer refused to give consumer offer if we take insurance from outside. Is it normal?
Is under-body coating recommended?
thush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 16:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. We went to the Nexa showroom and even we felt the same. Have booked Baleno zeta and awaiting delivery now.
Altroz ticked all our boxes and we were ready to go ahead with the car irrespective of the new dealership but delivery period for the Altroz as well as Tiago was a minimum of 2 months. Maruti dealer refused to give consumer offer if we take insurance from outside. Is it normal?
Is under-body coating recommended?
Congratulations on your booking and generally Suzuki gives 10K discount on their insurance and corporate offer of 5K.
I have not done the underbody coating for my Baleno and Ecosport but had done it for my Ciaz. I think it's better to get it done if dealership gives you a good discount on the same as they have fat profit margins in underbody coating.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 27th November 2020 at 16:57.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 19:33   #75
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz vs the competition

Guys, shortlisted i20 Sportz Diesel and Altroz XZ Diesel.

Car will be used 90% on the highways and I intent to keep it for 10+ years. Budget 11 lakhs OTR. Want a capable and effortless highway cruiser.

Altroz is loaded feature wise, has better ride quality however Altroz does not come with ESC even on top trip and is down on torque and NVH is higher.
i20 has more torque and a 6th gear and feels more lighter resulting in higher torque to weight ratio. But Asta (O) comes at eye watering price of 12.45 lakhs.

Need your valuable inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks