Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 03:00   #16
BHPian

Re: A hatchback for errands? Budget is 7 - 8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the meantime, also consider the Grand i10 Nios 1.0 Turbo. The car flies, its turbo-petrol is simply superb and the car overall boasts best-in-class quality. Also consider the Nexon. You will have to extend the budget a bit, it'll be worth it.
Yeah, Nios can be checked out. The sad part, the turbo is not available on the top-end variant.

I don't think Nexon will get the approval from HQ , since we got ourselves a Seltos on the launch day. Also, I personally don't like the way Nexon is designed, aesthetically. Moreover, everyone here is highly inclined towards a hatchback.

Thanks, NA
Old 20th May 2020, 08:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Yeah, Nios can be checked out. The sad part, the turbo is not available on the top-end variant.

I don't think Nexon will get the approval from HQ
So that leaves you with the Freestyle.
Old 20th May 2020, 08:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, NA
Agree. Single biggest bummer in an otherwise fine car. Doesn’t even get rear washer and wiper. A basic and important safety feature missed out so casually is a deal breaker.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 09:53   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, it's not that sad as compared to the top variant, the turbo doesn't miss out on any important stuff. Other than some chrome, there is the engine start button + cooled glovebox + adjustable rear headrests + rear wiper washer + boot lamp. From this list, I would only miss the rear wash wipe (that too, just in the monsoons) and rear headrests.

Does get all-black interiors which some enthusiasts love.

Drive it. You'll be amazed.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 14:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Since your location is in Pune, i would suggest a compact car to run errands.
Tiago/Santro/Ignis AMT would be my choice.

Last edited by silverado : 20th May 2020 at 14:17.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 17:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
So that leaves you with the Freestyle.
Yeah, probably Altroz and Nios too. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drive it. You'll be amazed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Since your location is in Pune, i would suggest a compact car to run errands.
Tiago/Santro/Ignis AMT would be my choice.
Sure GTO, Nios really feels like a small petrol pocket rocket. Will check.

Though I'm in Pune, the car will be bought in the state of Assam. Hence, the issue with Toyota being 100 km away. Even VW is a considerable 72 kms. Traffic is sparse there, so not in the need of an auto box, although I'm pretty sure we will require one 5 years down the lane.
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:48   #22
BHPian

I feel the Polo TSI edition would be a great car for your needs as it has a fantastic new manual gearbox and more than adequate performance.The swift with that K12 should also make it to your list, ZXI+ looks good and feels sporty enough plus very reliable.
Personally I would pick the TSI or NIOS turbo petrol.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the battle has narrowed down to Polo vs Freestyle vs Altroz.
For daily errands, considering you already have 2-3 other cars in the garage, I'd suggest to pick the Tiago over the Altroz.

Yes the Tiago of course doesn't look as smashing as the Altroz. But its not a bad looker. You get almost all features of the Altroz in the Tiago for a much lower price point. Also - assuming errands will be in city confines - the tighter dimensions of the Tiiago make it easier to navigate. Simpler body styling and design + packaging makes long term maintenance of nicks-n-dings cheaper on the pocket compared to the intricately designed Altroz. And it also has certified 4 star safety which is fairly respectable and generally very good for a car primarily within slow city confines.

I'm a bit confused about the purpose of the car considering you mentioned "Errands". I'd have thought power, fun to drive factor would come slightly lower in the list and overall ownership economy and practicality would come on top.

My other choice would be the IGNIS.

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd May 2020 at 12:07.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 13:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why bother with the Altroz? It is too heavy for its puny petrol mill. One can extract more joy from driving the Tiago Also do test out the Ignis and Ford Figo/Freestyle. Polo just isn't comfortable enough for me to recommend it somehow feels cramped even in the front seats to me but if you're not too tall then I guess you should not have any issues.
Old 23rd May 2020, 14:04   #25
BHPian

I would suggest you to check with your nearest Tata Dealership if they have Tiago JTP in stock. It will be a perfect combination of fun to drive + family car.
Old 23rd May 2020, 14:07   #26
BANNED

I think Tata Tiago is a good option here. It fullfills almost all your requirements. I myself own Tata Tiago and I can bet on Tiago's built quality. It's much better than anyother car in that segment. This car has a decent engine. Also, this car is light on pocket when it comes to maintainance.

And finally buying a Tata car will also support our PM's vision : VOCAL FOR LOCAL
drkuldeep1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 17:43   #27
BANNED

I guess it is easy to home in on a shortlist if the purpose is clearly identified.

If it is to be an errand car, one can look at the little petrol hatchbacks like the Tiago, Kwid and the WagonR. These are very useful, easy to drive and park, have adequate boot and rear seat space for the shopping, simple to maintain, have good resale value and are easy on the pocket overall.

If the purpose is fluid; a fuel efficient errand car that can also be used for intercity travel and occasional off-road use with enough safety, features and power, then I guess there's not much in the sub 10L bracket.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:43. Reason: Spacing
Old 23rd May 2020, 18:09   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
I would suggest you to check with your nearest Tata Dealership if they have Tiago JTP in stock. It will be a perfect combination of fun to drive + family car.
Naah - all JTP stocks were snapped up long ago around Pune. None left. I had asked for it at 2-3 dealerships around January. Mid-life crisis inquiry .
Anyway - JTP doesn't make much of a case for an errands car IMO. Normal Tiago would do it.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 20:08   #29
BHPian

Ford Freestyle. Period.

If you can wait.
1. Tata Altroz turbo-petrol.
2. VW Polo turbo-petrol.
But, they might be out of the budget set by you.
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:48   #30
BHPian

I have a Ford Figo Titanium 1.2P that I bought a last August. It's a hoot to drive in the city, has a good mature ride quality and does effortless highway runs as well. Even though the steering feel and feedback isn't as good as the Fords of old, it's still great fun in the twisties and I love chucking this car in the corners.

Based on your needs, I'd suggest the Ford Figo/Freestyle or the Grand i10 Nios.
All other hatchbacks below 7L simply lack either the punch or the dynamics to be truly fun to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks