Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 24th May 2020, 00:00   #31

Default Re: A hatchback for errands? Budget is 7 - 8 lakhs

Hi,

This is my first post.

Wanted to kick off by posting a review on my new Ford Figo AT, but never got down to it, your question prompted me to “just do it”.

My requirements were similar to yours when I was looking out for my new set of wheels. Only difference I wanted an AT.

Why AT, with our city traffic the way it is, I think AT is a worth investment, to take away the pain of driving in bumper to bumper traffic. I am 52, in perfect health, love to drive, but couple of months back there was a click sound in my left knee and that’s it, have been having knee pain off and on. My AT investment has paid off already.

Had shortlisted the Honda Jazz and Figo. Test drove both extensively. Newer model, bigger engine and lesser price tilted the scale in favour of Figo.

It’s been six months and 8000 KM with my Figo. It’s a fun car to drive, the AT version has 1.5 lts engine, so at no time you are short of grunt.

Of these 8000 only 500 KM has been on highway.

The bottom line, gives 9.5 to 10 KM/lit at worst traffic situation. Gave me a scare when it returned only 7.5 to 8 till I clocked 5000 KM. Then it changed and I am told it will improve further after 10000 KM. On highway it gives 16 KM/lit.

Best part the car loves open road, before you realise the speedo hits three digits.

Best turning radius that I have driven till now. A U turn at a divider in the city is a breeze and fun.

Good build quality, good overall driving experience, no hassles of any sort, spacious for four, ok boot space, good ground clearance.

The ride is something that I am very disappointed, on potholed roads you are hustled about in your seat unless you drop down the speed to suit the road.

So if you are looking for a good quality go around car that does what it’s supposed to do without a hitch and on occasion when you want to live on the wild side, then this is the perfect car.

Now to make life difficult for you, here is something.....

Before I got my Figo I was using a borrowed Kwid 800 cc, manual. Had used it for about 2500 KM both on highways and city.

If you want to have a smile on your face right from the time of purchase till each time you get out of your car, go for the Kwid 1000cc AT.

The Kwid has the best ride quality among the Indian cars. I am saying this after owning a 118NE as my first car and Fiat Sienna as my second car. There are not many cars that can match them for ride comfort. The Renault Logan was another car that could boast of a superior ride quality. This shows that Renault have something under their belt that makes all the deference.

The Kwid is a surprise package, it has everything that you want from a car, including the cruise control, climate control, blue tooth, apple play, sat nav, etc.

Now let’s get down to the business end, for it’s size it is spacious with a big boot space. Bottom line, not less than 12 KM/lit in worst case city traffic. 16 plus on highways. If you are sweet with your right foot and keep the needle around 60, you can get 20 consistently on highways.

The 800 cc version is a car that you need to understand intimately to be able to make it work for you. It is not a car that you plonk in third gear and chug around city. No way, it will not even move even if you floor the pedal.

You need to understand the gearbox and use it judiciously or else you are bound to get nasty stares from passing vehicles.

Once you get a hang of the car, then it is smiles all the way. Good mileage, great ride quality even with very bad roads, good handling at high speeds.

Talking about high speeds, I have clocked 135 KM/hr in this little gem, made a few fortuner guys see red when they had to sweat to get past me on highways. You need to work the gearbox, and choose the right gradient on the road to floor the pedal to make this car do wonders. Never did the engine sound out of breath, it always felt there was more juice left. Mide you it’s three cylinder motor.

So if it’s only for city go around with occasional trips then this gem gives bang for your bucks. With your budget of 8L you will be a happy man with 2L still in your pocket that too after buying an AT version.

Another point to keep in mind, this is a car for those who trust their driving ability to take them from A to B "Safely". This is not for those who depend on six airbags, anti roll bars, lemon with chilly toppings etc. The body is light and the plastic lighter. But still surprisingly it hold its place on high speeds.

My opinion is entirely with my experience on 800cc, so as suggested earlier the 1000cc AT will be much much better.

The car comes with refreshing colours to choose from.

You may ask why I went for the Figo instead of the Kwid..../

Firstly the AT and the 1000cc version were not available at that time. But I could have waited for it.

The family was harping on the brand and premium snob value, which I could not veto.

But we now realise what we missed "a superior ride" and fuel efficiency.

Happy buying, all the best.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:42. Reason: Spacing
Sendhil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 01:21   #32
BHPian

You have lots of car in the family and all are CS and hatches with none close to the segment of Scorpio.

So if I were to decide it would surely be a 7 seater or a SUVish one if not a RWD considering Assam and hills. Triber and Espresso ( read it's 3 cylinder engine us FTD too) would have been entry level consideration.

Next segment would be Ertiga on one hand which you already negated and but on the other side I would certainly recommend Venue and Nexon ( while you check Polo and Freestyle). Venue is really feature loaded but it is the Nexon that would tick all of your bills. Not only it's the safest but also high GC, solid build and selectable drive modes with Sports option for that FTD factor (170 NM torque in the 3 cylinder petrol).

If you will drive it daily and driven mostly alone then consider other options but otherwise if it will be driven often with rear seat passengers and FTD criteria is only for you once in a while then definitely go for it. The solid ride quality will matter most in longer run with space and safety.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 11:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendhil View Post
Hi,
So if it’s only for city go around with occasional trips then this gem gives bang for your bucks. With your budget of 8L you will be a happy man with 2L still in your pocket that too after buying an AT version.
Glad to see another Figo AT from Chennai on our forum Sadly though, automatic variant has been discontinued by Ford, only Ecosport gets our 1.5 petrol with 6 speed AT.

But surprised at your observations about the Kwid! Never knew that it was good with an AMT transmission.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 24th May 2020 at 11:14.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 12:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Hello BHPians,

Just as soon this lockdown ceases or more so, eases out, my family will be in an immediate need of yet another new car. As one of our family members is about to get retired from her govt. position she'll very soon lose the 'free' workhorse, Mahindra Scorpio. We are looking for a new petrol hatchback in a budget of 7-8 lakhs that will fill up for the Scorpio and will be entirely used for running errands, doing pickups and drops and be a part of an occasional once-or-twice-in-a-year small road trip (that hatchback won't be the only car in that trip, we all cannot simply fit in one.)

My requirements -

1. BS6 Petrol. Manual Transmission.
2. Good if its a fun to drive car.
3. High on safety.
4. Spacious Cabin.

Some restrictions that we as a family have decided -

1. Please, please no i20s. We have 2 of them- i20 Sportz and Active SX.

2. No compact sedans. VW Ameo is another workhorse in the garage which no one loves.

3. The budget is largely fixed at 7-8L. Won't be able to extend.

4. No pre worshipped cars.

5. No Toyota. The nearest dealership is at least 100 km.

- I'm open to all options and brands. Maintenance/fuel economy/accessories or parts prices do not matter much.
- Will be driven by our family members and all of them love driving, so a good driver's car will be appreciated.

- Due to this lockdown, most likely we won't be visiting the showroom and just will get the car delivered to our residence. So TD is really not an option.
- Is Toyota Glanza worth considering and then dealing with the hassles of driving it 100kms for servicing and maintenance?

All your inputs are highly regarded.
Thanks, NA
Hi,
Consider Ignis too, I being a senior citizen drive an Ignis AMT, in the congested Bangalore Roads, This little fellow is very Zippy,easy to maneuver, and hassle-free parking, I notice that the cabin & boot spacious with a 1.2 Lt power plant as well.
It's 2 years since I am using this little fellow and quite happy too.
Natt1948 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 13:26   #35

As to your query about the mileage for Ford Freestyle, I get approx. 10kmpl in the city and 15-17 kmpl on the highways. I have clocked a meagre 4500kms, so the figures are likely to improve. The vehicle is definitely fun to drive but not as peppy as Maruti's K12 powered hatches. I use the Freestyle mainly as a runabout car in a small city. My highway trips with four adults and a kid have been comfortable for the passengers and pleasurable for me as the driver.

It Has:
Good Ride and Handling balance
Fantastic Brakes (compared to the Marutis in my family)
Decent Build
Powerful Air Conditioning

It Does Not Have:
Premium interiors
Large Boot (though 257 litres is enough for me even on family trips)

Let us know what you choose. Cheers Mate.
Spacetime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 14:54   #36

Hi,
I would too suggest an Ignis. I drive a Ignis Zeta Petrol and its a treat to drive.Taken it to Dharamshala, and couple of trips to Uttarakhand and No problems at all. In city, its a breeze to drive. I have completed 22k kms in two years and its still going strong. At that time on the road was 6.2 lacs on road Delhi Now it will be higher but there are good deals on the car.
RachMath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 17:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm a bit confused about the purpose of the car considering you mentioned "Errands". I'd have thought power, fun to drive factor would come slightly lower in the list and overall ownership economy and practicality would come on top.
The thing with Tiago is, though a very capable car and sufficient in almost every aspect for a small peppy city runabout, it's too small for our liking, and after owning i20s and an MS A-star, we really don't want to go back to that size. I once hired a Tiago from Zoomcar, drove it within the city limits. It was good.

The FTD factor is high above practicality or frugality as each and every member's favorite seat is the one behind the wheel. So, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Why bother with the Altroz? It is too heavy for its puny petrol mill. One can extract more joy from driving the Tiago Also do test out the Ignis and Ford Figo/Freestyle. Polo just isn't comfortable enough for me to recommend it somehow feels cramped even in the front seats to me but if you're not too tall then I guess you should not have any issues.
Yea, many of you guys have commented on the puny petrol mill of Altroz.
Polo will definitely have a cramped interior. Our Ameo, though a very capable car on highways and is solidly built, feels claustrophobic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan View Post
Based on your needs, I'd suggest the Ford Figo/Freestyle or the Grand i10 Nios.
All other hatchbacks below 7L simply lack either the punch or the dynamics to be truly fun to drive.
Another reason why Freestyle fits the order better than Figo is GC. You see, Assam has terrible roads, especially during monsoons. Civic and Ameo(under load) scrape a lot of its under-belly, on the other hand, i20 Active is simply a breeze over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendhil View Post
Hi,

This is my first post.

Wanted to kick off by posting a review on my new Ford Figo AT, but never got down to it, your question prompted me to “just do it”.

My requirements were similar to yours when I was looking out for my new set of wheels. The only difference I wanted an AT.
Hi Sir, Welcome to the club. I too am a very recent joiner of this epic community.

I'm glad my query urged you to pen this down and I can very well understand your requirement for an AMT/Automatics.

The thing is since the car will be used in a small town of Assam where traffic jams are as common as blue moons. So, though AMTs are convenient and also fit right in my budget, I think I'll get one a few more years down the lane. Thanks!

That was a pretty intricate comparo between the Kwid and Figo. I'm taking home some points from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
You have lots of car in the family and all are CS and hatches with none close to the segment of Scorpio.

So if I were to decide it would surely be a 7 seater or a SUVish one if not a RWD considering Assam and hills. Triber and Espresso ( read it's 3 cylinder engine us FTD too) would have been entry level consideration.

Next segment would be Ertiga on one hand which you already negated and but on the other side I would certainly recommend Venue and Nexon ( while you check Polo and Freestyle). Venue is really feature loaded but it is the Nexon that would tick all of your bills. Not only it's the safest but also high GC, solid build and selectable drive modes with Sports option for that FTD factor (170 NM torque in the 3 cylinder petrol).
This is the garage - (If it helps in any way)

2008 MS A-star - Vxi (25k)
2008 Honda Civic - S MT (85k) Pre worshipped (acquired in 2012)
2011 Hyundai i20 – Sportz (30k)
2016 VW Ameo – Highline (55k)
2017 Hyundai i20 – Active SX (14k)
2019 Kia Seltos – HTK + (9k)

You've got right on point. I'll give you that. But Nexon/Venue are only possible if the budget can be extended to 10L. 8L will only get me the lowest variants. We will have to brainstorm over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt1948 View Post
Hi,
Consider Ignis too, I being a senior citizen drive an Ignis AMT, in the congested Bangalore Roads, This little fellow is very Zippy,easy to maneuver, and hassle-free parking, I notice that the cabin & boot spacious with a 1.2 Lt power plant as well.
It's 2 years since I am using this little fellow and quite happy too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachMath View Post
Hi,
I would too suggest an Ignis. I drive a Ignis Zeta Petrol and its a treat to drive.Taken it to Dharamshala, and couple of trips to Uttarakhand and No problems at all. In city, its a breeze to drive. I have completed 22k kms in two years and its still going strong. At that time on the road was 6.2 lacs on road Delhi Now it will be higher but there are good deals on the car.
Will consider this too. Fits right in the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacetime View Post
As to your query about the mileage for Ford Freestyle, I get approx. 10kmpl in the city and 15-17 kmpl on the highways. I have clocked a meagre 4500kms, so the figures are likely to improve. The vehicle is definitely fun to drive but not as peppy as Maruti's K12 powered hatches. I use the Freestyle mainly as a runabout car in a small city. My highway trips with four adults and a kid have been comfortable for the passengers and pleasurable for me as the driver.

It Has:
Good Ride and Handling balance
Fantastic Brakes (compared to the Marutis in my family)
Decent Build
Powerful Air Conditioning

It Does Not Have:
Premium interiors
Large Boot (though 257 litres is enough for me even on family trips)

Let us know what you choose. Cheers Mate.
Thanks for this. If bought, it'll be the first-ever FORD in our garage. I've seen a couple of Freestyle youtube reviews about the door rattles and the plastics near the gear stick making some vibrating sounds as time passes by. Have you come across such niggles?

Sure you'll see the pics of the car in this thread, though I won't be able to experience the whole process first hand. I'm stuck in Pune. Can't fly home.
Old 24th May 2020, 19:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The thing with Tiago is, though a very capable car and sufficient in almost every aspect for a small peppy city runabout, it's too small for our liking, and after owning i20s and an MS A-star, we really don't want to go back to that size. I once hired a Tiago from Zoomcar, drove it within the city limits. It was good.
Take a second look at it, since you were considering Polo too initially. The cabin space of Tiago should be similar if not better. I second Reinhard that it's better to go for a Tiago that Altroz with the same engines. Also since you liked the front of Altroz, Tiago also got a similar looking facelift. Check it out.
zaphodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 19:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:

My requirements -

1. BS6 Petrol. Manual Transmission.
2. Good if its a fun to drive car.
3. High on safety.
4. Spacious Cabin.
I will suggest you go with a Ford FreeStyle Trend Plus (7L-8L) Petrol.

1. BS6 Petrol and Manual Transmission available? Yes
2. Has a Fun-to-drive new 3 pot petrol engine
3. High on Safety? ABS and 2 Airbags on all trims, 6 Airbags on Top Spec TI Plus, Hill Hold Assist, Anti Rollover Protection, Traction Control ( on TI and TI Plus)
4. Definitely not the most Spacious but great for 6 footers on front and 5'10ish on rear seats.

I sold my ageing Ecosport TDCi 2016 this Jan and picked up a FreeStyle TDCi TI BS4 on Feb 19th. I am very happy with the way this car behaves on the highways and in the city.

Some Positives:

1. Great suspension tuning for Indian roads.
2. A newer gearbox from what I had on my 2016 EcoSport TDCi
3. I am new to Hill Climb Assist, Traction Control and Anti Rollover Prevention) these are some segment-first features in the TI and TI Plus trims.
4. Doors have almost the same solid thud sound I used to get in my EcoSport (this, you will probably get in a Polo\Altroz too)
5. Ford Assured Service Price Promise will always bring a smile after service. It is hard to find a brand that can service your car under 5K every single service, Ford does a terrific job here.
6. Air Conditioning like no other
7. Great ICE, Speakers, touch response etc
8. Since you are looking at a petrol car, my last point on great Fuel Efficiency is null and void as I drive a diesel car ( I get around 16.5KMPL, not serviced yet)

Things I don't like in the FreeStyle:

1. Tiny Boot, Poor quality Parcel tray.
2. Android Auto\Apple Car Play available only in Top Spec TI Plus
3. Strictly a 4 passenger car
4. Boot Lid needs to be slammed hard to close, this is really annoying
5. Average Headlights\fog lamps, Dashboard feels dated.

Do your research well. Also, please drive the car before finalising. Best of luck!
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 23:54   #40

Quote:
Thanks for this. If bought, it'll be the first-ever FORD in our garage. I've seen a couple of Freestyle Youtube reviews about the door rattles and the plastics near the gear stick making some vibrating sounds as time passes by. Have you come across such niggles?
As I said, my car has done only 4500kms. So far I've had only one irritant. The gear lever requires a bit extra force while downshifting from the 5th. I brought it to the notice of the service team but the issue persists. I am not sure if am doing something wrong. Need more time to figure it out. However, have not noticed any rattles so far.
Spacetime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 03:02   #41
BHPian

I would suggest the Ignis as well, the 1.2 is pretty good for errands and its quite fun to drive too. Other than that, you can take a look at the Nios, the 1-litre turbo seems like Hyundai’s new favourite and its a good package or if you can, then wait for the turbo-petrol in the Tata Altroz, that car is amazing and all it needs is the turbo-petrol.

Happy Hunting!
Mat095 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 04:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
I will suggest you go with a Ford FreeStyle Trend Plus (7L-8L) Petrol.
Things I don't like in the FreeStyle:
2. Android Auto\Apple Car Play available only in Top Spec TI Plus
I don't see any mention of Android Auto even on the top trim now. Just says "Touchscreen (capacitive) infotainment system". Deleted on BS6?

Trend+ is also discontinued I guess.
A hatchback for errands? Budget is 7 - 8 lakhs-fordfs.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 12:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I don't see any mention of Android Auto even on the top trim now. Just says "Touchscreen (capacitive) infotainment system". Deleted on BS6?

Trend+ is also discontinued I guess.
That is correct, I just enquired with my sales rep. No Trend Plus anymore. No Android Auto, Car play in TI Plus.

Here is the new BS6 FreeStyle Petrol price list in Bangalore:
A hatchback for errands? Budget is 7 - 8 lakhs-capture.jpg
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 17:48   #44
BHPian

Based on your requirements for a fun to drive petrol hatch with good practicality as well, I would recommend you check out the Ford Figo/Freestyle (if budget permits). The top variants are one of the safest in the segment (6 airbags in this budget range is hard to come by) and the new 1.2 Dragon series engine is decently peppy as well. I have test driven the freestyle and really enjoyed the car for the short time i had it. Yes the petrol engine being 3 cylinder has the shortcomings from an NVH point of view but otherwise its really a gem. I personally own an ecosport and I can assure you that ASS costs are really reasonable for Fords now. Overall, in my opinion, this is the best option in this price range and definitely worth serious consideration.
Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 18:21   #45
BHPian

Fun, practical, safe and cheap. All may not go hand-hand with each other. The OP would have to compromise on some aspect. I would suggest the new Tiago considering that it is well built, easy to maintain and efficient, for both city and occasional highway usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
But surprised at your observations about the Kwid! Never knew that it was good with an AMT transmission.
The Kwid 1.0 AMT is a highly underrated car. I had an opportunity to drive a 50k kms old sample. Agreed that the car is built to cost and refinement is incomparable to Suzuki engines, but I was surprised when it hauled 4 full sized adults with A/C over a steep parking lot incline with utter ease, that could put a Wagon-R or Alto k10 with their (puzzled) AMT to shame. However, the older k10b engines had very poor bottom end, don't know if it is sorted in the S-presso.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 25th May 2020 at 18:26.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed