Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
VW Polo 1.0 TSI 143 36.02%
Ford Figo / Freestyle 1.5L TDCi 254 63.98%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 11:06   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.0 TSI vs Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi for an enthusiast?

Get the TDCi and you won't regret it. It is very easy to drive in city and an absolute blast to drive on the highway. It's more reliable, much cheaper to maintain, and it's a diesel and you can expect very good FE numbers unlike a small turbo petrol.
motobliss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 11:57   #17
BHPian

Considering the power trains and steering feel, I would be more inclined towards Ford Figo. Ford Freestyle too has additional features like Android Auto / Apple CarPlay and Roll Over Mitigation not available in Figo/Polo. Figo is also marginally more spacious if not better built.

But one thing that Polo has is its killer clean looks which is something Figo cannot boast off. So for me, it would be a really tight contest and I would be really convincing myself to let go of Polo.
Old 8th June 2020, 12:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

A lot depends on whether you intend to keep the car stock or improve it a few years down the line.

If you are going to keep it stock, and maybe get just an ECU flash at the most, the Ford Figo is the one to get. The suspension and brakes are sorted from the factory, the car will be slightly cheaper to run and maintain as well.

The Polo's brakes and suspension are average at best, and no where near as well sorted as the Figo, without question. In fact, from the factory, the Polo's suspension and brakes are susceptible to premature failure.

But if you are open to spending a little money in the first few years of ownership, or even a little later, the Polo can be turned into a fun little car. EU-spec suspension and brakes would totally transform the Polo's ride/handling characteristics and make it as much fun as, or even more than the Figo. A simple flash tune can see figures close to 150 bhp as well, and all this can be achieved within a 1 lakh budget if you plan it correctly.

So it entirely depends on how you would have planned your ownership experience with the car.

Short answer:

Out of the box - Figo
Tinkering - Polo
suhaas307 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:30   #19
BHPian

None of the two from the moron public point of view. As per the majority of indians, only maruti makes cars in india. Any other brand is imported. All cars are expensive to maintain. Parts are not available. They may run away with your money. Infact, majority of indians behave as they get a royalty from Maruti and their livelihood depends upon how many times in a day do they swear by their name.

I voted for Figo/Freestyle 1.5 TDCI. Although i have the 1.2 NA petrol freestyle T+. The reason i did not buy the diesel version is due to the draconian rule of 10 years for a diesel vehicle. My 9 years old Ritz VDI still appears very young and performs like dream. I have to sell it at the earliest because i will not be able to retain it for more than one year. While getting my Freestyle, i test drove the Polo TSI as well but considering the feedback about the maintenance of polo, i went for Ford which has one of the best ride quality and safety features in its segment with 6 airbags, ARP, TCS, HLA and with lots of equipment including android auto and sync3.
su1978 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:33   #20
BHPian

Depends on your scale of priorities. If Looks, Fit and Finish & Interior Quality are your top reasons then Polo would be a better option though Figo is not far behind.
Voted for the Figo! I have an Aspire Sports edition and love the way it drives, and you will appreciate the punchy Diesel motor. I rode the Rapid Rider and It seemed to have a great pick up. Not sure of the highway rides though.
The rear bench space is a huge let down for the Polo plus the maintenance costs. Both are better in Figo.
Looks are subjective and hence I would leave it to personal choices. For me I love the looks of both as they exhibit different characters of their own strengths.
Sabrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:35   #21
BHPian

Voted for the Figo/Freestyle.

Although the DSG gearbox is exceptional and in a league of it's own, I've always felt the Polo to be an average enthusiast's car. The suspension and the steering setup have hardly any feedback to call this car sporty. The interior quality is top notch but the design is a decade old and practicality has never been the Polo's forte.

I cannot comment on the 1.0 TSi engine or the gearbox (MT or AT) as I haven't driven one but I am sure the rest of the car will be the same with the above flaws intact.

My first choice for a MT option will be the Figo as I feel it offers much much more than the Polo. Choose the Polo if you need an automatic (although, now that the DSG is out, the TC+3 cyl combo might put off a few and they might go elsewhere for 4cyl options).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A simple flash tune can see figures close to 150 bhp as well, and all this can be achieved within a 1 lakh budget if you plan it correctly.
The 1.2DSG, yes. Do we know already if the 1.0TC is tuner friendly?

Last edited by Porschefire : 8th June 2020 at 12:38.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:36   #22
BHPian

Voted for Figo 1.5 TDCi

Tough I am a fan of the ride and handling of the of POLO, there is something unsettling about these 3 cylinders which is a no, IMO.

I will go for the Figo TDCi as it is, relatively newer offering with proper 4 cylinders, good punch from the diesel engine and better fuel economy. Maintenance of Ford cars is easier/cheaper than VW's/Skoda's, from my experience.
Fan@Automotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:05   #23
BHPian

Voted for Ford.

I think the 1.5 TDCI is a gem of an engine. And like others mentioned, its a remap friendly engine.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:48   #24

Voted for VW Polo 1.0 TSI.

Proud owner of a 1.2 GT TSI for 3 years and it brings a smile on my face every time I drive it. The 1.0 TSI should be good too as the engine specs are almost the same (but no DSG).

The interiors and the looks are definitely better in Polo (from my point of view) but Ford will be cheaper to maintain. The 1.5 TDCI engine is fun to drive as well. Freestyle is a better overall package than the Figo.

A very close call between the two actually !
Old 8th June 2020, 15:09   #25
BHPian

I was in the same spot as you 3 years back. I was about to purchase my first car and had narrowed down polo 1.5 TDI and Ford Figo Sports 1.5 TDCi. I had considerable running and petrol simply did not make sense with my usage. While the engines would rank close to each other on the spec sheet, there was a world of difference in the way that power was delivered. The Polo's motor was a bit peaky and had some turbo lag when compared to the Figo (a case that exists with the 1.0 TSI as well to a greater extent). Also, the Figo scored over the Polo in the below categories -

1. Rear-seat usability
2. Cheaper maintenance
3. Steering feel and feedback on stock setup (Figo with the 195 section tyres)
4. Efficiency in spite of the stellar performance from the 1.5 TDCi
5. Driveability in varied scenarios

I chose the Figo Sports over the polo and have not regretted my decision ever even while driving a friend's polo. The brakes and steering are better in the stock Figo with a 195 section tyre upgrade. In the real world, I find Ford's 1.5 TDCi engine a gem of a motor that is at home in the city, on the highway and on the hills as well. I reckon the in-gear acceleration for the TDCi would be much quicker than the 1.0 TSI and the outright acceleration too would match up. Overall the Figo seems like a more practical option than the Polo. The freestyle takes that practicality even further.

P.S. I am also running a remap on the 1.5 TDCi and it is just surreal how this small hatchback matches machines from several segments above. Voted for the Figo/Freestyle.
Vibhanshu0923 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 15:25   #26
BHPian

I voted for Freestyle. I own Freestyle TDCi 2019 Titanium plus. In comparison with Polo,
- Found the rear space much usable, in fact it is better than Ecosport to accommodate three people at the back with good comfort.
- Excellent ground clearance
- Awesome engine
- Excellent fuel efficiency
- Service costs are way cheaper
- Though am 6.1' easy to find a comfortable driving position.
- Steering and suspension inspires confidence.
- Feature loaded in terms of safety.

I suppose the current model doesn't get Android auto or Apple car play. That is the one of the missed features. In spite of many pros this car did not sell well as it should have been
vDragon3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 15:42   #27
BHPian

I'd recommend Ford, but also strongly urge you to consider the Freestyle 1.5 TDCi.

I own one myself, and it outshines the Figo in many ways (see what t-bhpians said when I posted last year, just before I made the purchase: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...freestyle.html (Ford sibling rivalry: Figo Blu or Freestyle?)

Freestyle advantages:

1. The 190 mm SUV-like ground clearance: A boon considering our roads. I've done some nasty patches and pseudo off-roads with full load, and the Freestyle delivers and how!
2. Traction Control, Hill Assist, Active Rollover Protection: The Figo doesn't have any of these
3. Sync-3: Apple Play/Android Auto is almost a must-have these days

You won't notice much difference between the siblings in terms of the ride and handling. And the price difference is justified with all the above benefits.
I'd also urge you to consider the Titanium+ (top) variant which comes with 6 airbags.

If you're on a tight budget (like I was), you may feel the proverbial pinch BEFORE buying, but you'll feel completely otherwise on the day of delivery.

Pick the Freestyle!
foxworkz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 16:06   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
The 1.2DSG, yes. Do we know already if the 1.0TC is tuner friendly?
Yes! In fact, the EA211 1.0 TSI is way more tuner friendly than the EA111 1.2 TSI. Unlike the 2v per cylinder SOHC configuration of the 1.2 TSI, the 1.0 TSI benefits from 4 valves per cylinder and DOHC. Not to mention, the internals are forged from the factory, making it a robust and tuner friendly motor, much more than the 1.2 TSI would ever be.

In fact, the 1.0 TSI may be found in the Up! GTI in the European markets and is good for about 150 bhp with a simple flash tune and minimal hardware modifications.

There is no doubt that the 1.0 TSI is a far superior engine to the 1.2 TSI, even though it's missing a cylinder. It certainly is far more tunable. Additionally, without the DSG, you don't have to worry about torque thresholds and limits.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 16:47   #29

Voted for Figo/Freestyle.
When it comes to 1.5 TDCi diesel no car in the segment can match its performance. Big mill in a small car is a delight to have. Also Ford will be cheaper to maintain and reliable in the long term. The city runs are a breeze and the ford offers more rear bench space if you happen to take your family along.

Hope it helps.
DJ 0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 16:48   #30
BHPian

Voted for Figo.
1. VFM in all regards - be cost of ownership or maintenance.
2. Engine - tried and tested.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks