Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
VW Polo 1.0 TSI 143 36.02%
Ford Figo / Freestyle 1.5L TDCi 254 63.98%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 07:57   #46
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.0 TSI vs Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi for an enthusiast?

Having driven both the Figo diesel and the new 1.0 liter tsi Polo I voted for the Polo. Somehow for me the 6 speed manual coupled with petrol character offered a little more driver involvement in a hatchback. The figo diesel is very capable, a good handler and may offer more in terms of outright performance, especially on highways with that diesel punch but then the tsi comes with features like cruise control (I like those) , tilt and telescopic steering. In the handling department also, the Polo is not bad and I had good fun taking twisties in Kerala. Also note that the front end felt lighter compared to the diesel polo and I guess the same could be a comparison with the diesel figo. Please note that I love diesels and used to daily a Thar for 3 years but in this small hatch, petrol is more like it. The 3 cylinder engine note sounds sporty as the car accelerated and overall, It felt like a pocket rocket.
spd_tkt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 09:00   #47
RMN
BHPian

So, I was in a similar dilemma in 2018. I was trying to chose between a Freestyle Titanium+ TDCI & the Polo 1.2 TSI. I have a Vento TSI at home so was familiar with VW & their pros & cons which Im listing below. While I haven't driven the new Polo (Im aware it does not have the DSG anymore) I think most of the points below still holds true:

Polo 1.2 TSI

Pro's
1. Better overall interior build quality
2. Superb gearbox!
3. Good driving dynamics
4. UNLIMITED modding capabilities. Be it for performance or looks.

Con's
1. Reliability of the DSG box
2. OTR price was more than Freestyle by 1.5L
3. Cost of ownership was much higher. My Vento TSI year service costs 12k.
4. I've felt like the engine loses its punch when you have 3 or more people in the car. Especially while overtaking on the highways.

Freestyle
Pro's
1. Good ICE. Responsive touch screen + Android Auto
2. The diesel engine packs quite a punch!
3. Vehicle doesn't lose much steam even with 4 people on board, overtaking on the highways are much better than the Polo. Thanks to the superior torque!
4. Cost of ownership is really low. My 20k periodic service costed only 5k. Service centers charge you exactly the price that is listed out on Fords online calculator.
5. The A/C is much more effective than my Vento!
6. More safety features

Con's
1. Interior cabin quality. while it is good, its inferior to that of VW's
2. Diesel characteristics
3. LIMITED modding capabilities
4. Fords uncertain future in India. But I guess to an extent its the same with VW?

For these reasons, I opted for the Freestyle. I have been extremely happy so far and have never looked back! Both the vehicles are GREAT! You need to take the decision purely on which Pro's & Con's you can live with. For me, it was power over anything else.
RMN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 09:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Freestyle (more than the Figo).

The Freestyle is easily the most bang-for-buck hatchback in today's market. The only reason it doesnt sell is its dull looks. Apart from the looks, you wont be able to point a finger to any major flaws in the car.

Its like the Manoj Bajpai of sub 10 lakh hatch backs.

(Polo 1.0 TSI is like Hrithik, has the looks with some good moves in a particular performance band)
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 11:44   #49
BHPian

It depends on what you drive right now. For me, Apple CarPlay and android auto has become non negotiable. It’s just too useful in daily use. One other thing I’d recommend you check out is headlamps! And to sum it up, even though polo is an older design, it’s a more modern car as compared to the Figo. I drove the freestyle and the tall gear lever absolutely put me off. It’s also nowhere as nice to sit inside as the polo. My pick would be the polo, out of the two. However, I might have just gone for the i20 diesel if I were in your position. It’s an able cruiser, spacious and has a good feature set too.
Old 18th June 2020, 15:49   #50
BHPian

Voted for Ford Figo/freestyle

The punchy diesel motor is a gem of an engine. I myself am planning to buy a car at year-end. Initially did consider polo 1.0 tsi and rapid rider.... because VAG has priced them quite aggressively but maintenance over 10 years will be far cheaper for a Ford.

And always remember in city you will be enjoying torque, and only on open highways you will feel bhp. The massive 215 nm torque will give you sheer pleasure with its punch every time you start the car from a standstill. And you will get to enjoy it everyday every moment.

My opinion just go for the tdci.
Old 30th June 2020, 21:35   #51
BHPian

It seems like Freestyle is winning this poll with 2/3rd majority. However, not much was known about the new 1.0 TSI when this poll started. Now with the Rapid reviews out, and the buzz about the performance of the TSI (The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs), do you still think that the TDCi will make more sense than the TSI? I have yet to drive the TSI, but eagerly waiting to get a feel of it.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 17:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantnumehta View Post
When almost paid the advance for a figo diesel in February, lockdown happened and I held on for some more time. I was compromising on good interiors, android auto and apple carplay, driver's arm rest on the figo just for that beast 1.5 Tcdi but with all those features, a great engine and in similar price range, does the new Polo make more sense?
Voted for Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I loved the Freestyle's suspension tune
Isn't the Figo more of an "Enthusiasts" car than the Freestyle?

Quote:
- 6 airbags & ESP available
- Remap ready for more power
2 reasons why the Figo is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I was researching a bit about sub 10 lakh hatchbacks and realised how value for money the Figo diesel is. It's cheaper than the equivalent Altroz petrol variants!
It's amazing value for money though the constant updates keep deleting features.

Quote:
Figo S variant is lit
Not available anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
If I'm you I will buy grey coloured freestyle eyes closed.
Any specific reason for mentioning a Grey Coloured Freestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Voted for Polo. I am not convinced about the long term strategy of Ford. I foresee a future where Ford will pack up and leave. VW and Skoda seems to be in it for a longer term.
The main negative I see in Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But if you are open to spending a little money in the first few years of ownership, or even a little later, the Polo can be turned into a fun little car. EU-spec suspension and brakes would totally transform the Polo's ride/handling characteristics and make it as much fun as, or even more than the Figo. A simple flash tune can see figures close to 150 bhp as well, and all this can be achieved within a 1 lakh budget if you plan it correctly.
Same amount of money spent on a Figo for similar upgrades should give equal or better results.

Figo/Freestyle seems to be the clear winner here. However if you look on the roads, the Polo is more common than the Figo or Freestyle.

Also among those who voted for Figo/Freestyle most mentioned Freestyle in the comments. Just wondering why. The title clearly mentions "for an enthusiast". To me the Figo and Polo both look like enthusiast cars. The Freestyle looks not very "enthusiast" type. Or am I missing something that the Freestyle has over the Figo?
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:23   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Same amount of money spent on a Figo for similar upgrades should give equal or better results.

Figo/Freestyle seems to be the clear winner here. However if you look on the roads, the Polo is more common than the Figo or Freestyle
I would have agreed with you if I hadn’t driven the 1.0 TSI. In fact, I had voted for the Figo when this poll was installed in this thread.

Having now driven it quite extensively, I would say the Polo 1.0 TSI ought to be the clear winner and by some margin. That free revving 1.0 TSI is hard to match in terms of sheer enjoyment and driving pleasure. The diesel engine in the Figo is just no match for it, torque notwithstanding.

Also, the aftermarket support that the Polo enjoys is second to none. The Figo simply does not have that. For example, a simple flash tune, sticky Michelins, big brake kit upgrade and OEM+ dampers (all of which can be done for around 1 lakh) on the Polo 1.0 TSI will transform the driving experience. The Figo does not have these options easily available to it.

And lastly, after spending a day in the Polo and then jumping into the Figo reveals just how well put together and finished the Polo is in comparison to the Figo. Honestly, the Figo feels quite low-rent. But then again the Figo is quite a bit cheaper to buy than the Polo, so I guess you could justify it.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:47   #54
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Any specific reason for mentioning a Grey Coloured Freestyle?
That colour in freestyle looks better to my eyes.
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:31   #55
BHPian

Dad was looking for a new car, and since it was his car, i wanted him to choose it 100%, and not because of what my views were.

We first went to Ford to check out the Freestyle as it was the only option given by me, as i personally love the 1.5D engine, the 6 airbags and its also decent fun to drive.

We then went to VW, test drove the 1.0TSI Highline+ AT. Just 1 km into driving it, my dad stopped the car, asked me to drive and asked me to book it right away. I too enjoyed the short drive experience, and the lighness of the TSI was something we were not used to, as we all drive VAG diesels.

He said the car 'felt' better than the Ford, and he obviously felt more at home in it.

So we booked a MY21 VW Polo Highline+ AT in Carbon Steel Grey, and expect delivery anytime this week.
satya180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 20:06   #56
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A lot depends on whether you intend to keep the car stock or improve it a few years down the line.
Short answer:

Out of the box - Figo
Tinkering - Polo
^^This.

Both the vehicles have their positives and negatives which boils down to personal preferences but the major difference between them is the aftermarket support. The Ford has very minimal options for both performance and visual mods. Remaps are plenty but nothing really beyond that. If you are looking to mod and tune you vehicle and venture into the aftermarket scene..the VW is the way to go.

If not, the Figo and Freestyle are great vehicle and runs cheap too!
Old 31st December 2020, 16:59   #57

Fun to drive car as replacement for Vento

Hi,

I have been a member of the forum for a quite a while and following up on the posts, but this is my first post.

I am a young graduate and currently driving a Vento 1.6 petrol highline bought with the help of my parents. It is not particularly an enthusiastic car and I have been driving it for past 2 years. Now the new car bug has bitten me and I am looking to move to a fun to drive car. In fact I am contemplating about an automatic as well. My budget is 11 lakhs OTR in Kerala. My current lifestyle does not warrant the huge boot and backseat of Vento (atleast for a couple of years)

I have shortlisted Polo highline plus automatic and Ecosport diesel titanium. Other ecosport models are way out of my budget. KIA is not shortlisted because of unproven safety record. I love Ford cars and have owned a first generation Figo for 5 years and 1,50,000 kilometres before the Vento, but the feature deletion spree of Ford is a bummer . In fact I had booked ecosport before lockdown and haven’t canceled yet

Esteemed members of the forum could you please provide your suggestions and advice on which way I should proceed
Old 31st December 2020, 18:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fun to drive car as replacement for Vento

You are right on with the Polo 1.0 TSI but I would suggest to wait for the Altroz Turbo, it should be launched in Jan 2021.

Here are my suggestions based solely on FTD factor :
  • Polo 1.0 TSI : currently the best choice but does seem a bit old IMHO, I am expecting something fresh and exciting from their India 2.0 strategy next year
  • Altroz Turbo Petrol : Worth the 15-20 day wait and a TD, check the TBHP thread here (Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised)
  • XUV 300 Petrol : Since you have shortlisted the Ecosport and I have a friend who enjoyed driving the turbo petrol so much that he bought it. But Mahindra has priced the models at least a lakh apart so I would suggest the W8 but that will work out to 11.5 almost. But worth a TD.

Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 31st December 2020 at 19:09. Reason: updated info
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 20:05   #59
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moroder View Post

I have shortlisted Polo highline plus automatic and Ecosport diesel titanium.
Don't finalize the Polo just because it's a vento minus it's boot. The 1.6 is one of the better engines that the Vento has had, wouldn't getting a 1.0(albeit turbocharged) be a backward step rather than an upgrade? Very little has changed on the polo since it's launch a decade and a half ago. I'd get something newer.
Also considering that a Polo has almost the same layout inside as the Vento, you may not feel like you are driving a different/new car.

Last edited by ike : 31st December 2020 at 20:07.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 20:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you remap the Vento and save 10 lakhs?

If the car is fine, just mod-it using some tuners. Since you are new to the auto world, it will give you tremendous learning as well.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks