Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 10:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?

I was in the same situation a few weeks back. And after much thought, I almost booked one car

- Tiago XZ+ MT

Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?-img_20200612_1347091952.jpg

Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?-img_20200612_1331395262.jpg

What were my requirements?

- Small car, to be driven by dad, so, ease of use was primary

- Safety

- Should look good

- Should drive well

- Be fuel efficient

- Should not cost >7 lakhs on road

And the Tiago fit the bill perfectly

- Solid build & 4* Global NCAP crash rating

- 7 lakhs OTR for the top of the line manual variant which has every feature we need(I loved that touchscreen ICE, and fully digital odo console + rear view display though it's of low quality)

Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?-img_20200612_133452760_hdr.jpg

- Was peppy to drive till 90kmph, and there aren't any complaints till legal speeds

- 24 kmpl ARAI rating and easy 17+ kmpl actual fuel efficiency

- Drop dead gorgeous looks. One rare car that looks smashing in all colours (even in yellow). Terrific paint quality too

Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?-screenshot_202005311809352.png

Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?-img_20200612_1347267772.jpg

- fun to drive

Negatives-

- it is a 3 pot engine and will remind you of that fact with that engine thrum always. I cannot understand how Tata decided to put the same into Altroz.

- Tata A.S.S isn't as great as Maruti or Hyundai

Between Ignis and Tiago, I would choose ignis only if refinement and performance are important. But even then, safety trumps both of those factors.

For a non enthusiast, Tiago definitely makes much more sense. If only it had a 4 pot motor like the K12 of Maruti, it would be a delight even to an enthusiast.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th July 2020 at 10:50.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:05   #17
BHPian

I would suggest a used Nexon Diesel. It is fun to drive, gives almost 20+ mileage, great ground clearance, 5* rated car, low maintenance and suv styling.

As your friend has driven wagon r, he will feel at home in Nexon. A good example I found on OLX below. You can negotiate hard to get under his budget.

Link:

Ignis is also good, but based on his usage, I would suggest a diesel vehicle only. Best of luck.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 8th July 2020 at 11:08.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Well if your friend is keen on the hatchback segment and at that price point 6-7 lacs, one great option is the Renault Triber - it gives a lot more space than Hatchbacks, both in terms of interior seating as well as Boot space (if used as a 5 seater). Even the AMT version is available which should make city driving easier.
This car is actually very practical and well built.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

If new, Freestyle Ambiente should fit the bill. Practical, peppy and easy on pocket. On road price is touch over 7lac however with discounts, should fit the bill. Might have to spend on music system though.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Looks like usage will be on rough side and mainly focused towards utility than pleasure drives. Also daily 70-80 Kms is quite a bit. In current scenario petrol will be very costly for daily runs. I will suggest to go for pre-owned diesel car like Ritz or Swift. If lucky, you can get very good deal for Ritz. Being diesel it will be cheaper to run and easy to maintain as it has national engine (Fiat multijet).

I am totally against converting new petrol car to CNG just for some savings. Firstly its not as good as factory fitted. Secondly for his usage, every third day he has to lineup for CNG and waste his valuable time. Just my thoughts.
Old 8th July 2020, 12:59   #21
BHPian

If Reliability is one of the primary requirements, please stick with a Maruti, Hyundai or Honda. I would suggest the following cars in your price bracket.

1. Ignis
2. Baleno
3. Swift
4. Grand i10

Wagon R has a high seating position and good all around visibility. I would always like my next car to have similar visibility which is why I think Ignis would be the best option coupled with good resale value.
Old 8th July 2020, 13:15   #22
BHPian

Pre-owned diesel hatchback makes sense considering the budget and daily usage of more than 50kms. If petrol, any suzuki with the 1.2 engine should be fine. Why not the Spresso ?
Old 8th July 2020, 13:23   #23
BHPian

This is one of those cases where a new car makes more sense. He can go for the new Wagon R CNG. Nothing beats a factory fitted kit and the car is right in his budget. Maruti has had a CNG version of the wagon R before so it isn't uncharted for them either. Plus, the tall boy shape will ensure enough place for luggage as well which the smaller hatches won't have. Meets almost all the requirements listed by the cousin. The Ignis especially is a bad choice because of the small boot.
Iyencar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:37   #24
BHPian

For 7 lakhs, if he wants a new car that can be converted to CNG later, I think the Tiago is the best option he has.

The back seats a bit better than the Ignis, it's a safer car, feels a little more premium on the inside and for 7 lakhs or under, he can either have the top spec or next trim with an AMT, which has improved quite a bit over time.
Kalash_6324 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:12   #25
BHPian

Considering his driving pattern, I would suggest the following.

New :
Tiago
Ignis (but, its another 'miss' product from MS)

Used:
Nexon Diesel
Figo/Freestyle
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:18   #26
BHPian

Considering he would be covering more than 50 kms per day, i would suggest to go for a Used Diesel Car. I think the last generation Swift or Grand i10 would be available for that budget. A used Ford Figo can also be considered as it will be powerful as well as frugal.
If he prefers a Petrol car with CNG, why not consider the new Gen WagonR or Celerio which comes with factory fitted CNG? I think installing a CNG Kit from outside voids the warranty and there might also be safety issues. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I hope it helps
Old 8th July 2020, 14:23   #27
BHPian

If you are getting the Ignis, then please consider the Zeta variant over the Delta. For a price difference of around 25k, you get Alloys, Fog lamps, rear Wiper and Defogger, 6 Speaker system (4 speakers 2 tweeters) compared to only 2 on the Delta, Push button Start-Stop and electrically foldable ORVMs. IMO definitely worth it.
Yakuza is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:47   #28
BHPian

Here in Delhi, CNG is widely available and is also cheap. Waiting time at CNG pump queue is hardly 10-15 min. One of my friend recently bought pre owned Dzire amt(10k km) and had CNG kit installed. I personally test drove the vehicle for 5-6 km. Worked exactly like an amt should; couldn't even tell the difference! Since Ignis/Swift has same engine as Dzire, theoretically it should work fine in these cars too.
Although, long term reliabilty of an amt mated with cng is still unchartered territory, but it seems trend is picking up.
Old 8th July 2020, 15:08   #29
BHPian

Tata Tiago provides the most value for money proposition in that price segment. A Maruti is just another Maruti in the heard. In these special harrowing times, Tata Group's commitment of 1500 crores for Covid relief works would also influence my decision. Yes, I said it. No other group in India even the ones with better cash flows or reserves have committed so much money for relief work.
Theyota is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 15:34   #30
BHPian

Well I'll go on a limb and say this, how about upgrading to the latest Wagon R ? At 7 he can get the top of the line variant with the peppy 1.2 litre engine, with a choice of manual and automatic as well and still save some money.

In terms of sheer space and roominess, nothing comes close to the Wagon R, and IMO, the new one looks sufficiently different to the last one as well.

Happy Purchasing !
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks