Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 22:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
I would have considered Altroz but lack of features in Altroz is just a deal breaker for me. I know I'm not the one being in the conversation right now but its just my opinion to go for the tigor instead of altroz for better features.
No right answer of course but the general points are covered here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...r-segment.html (Top variant of lower segment vs lower variant of higher segment)
McLaren Rulez is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 10:00   #77

I was always wondering what is the hype about Tiago all this time till test drove it yesterday. I had driven Spresso and Santro before Tiago and was very happy with Santro overall, and then came Tiago. It was a pleasant revelation; the look, interior quality, ride quality, super light steering, peppy low end, heft to the doors all came together to make it feel a segment above Santro.
My FIL and BIL who sat in the back seat in both the cars couldn't accept to go to back to any of the previous two rides.
It's a fabulous product and awesome value. The sad part - it doesn't come with a decent XM variant and AMT variant is pretty expensive. Tata need to work on the variant mix quickly as a 30K - 40K premium above base variant with power steering, central locking, music system + some smaller add-ons will bring in a few hundred additional numbers.
We might go for base variant and add accessories worth ~15K and get done with it.
This will be 2nd Tata in family after my Hexa XTA!
omzworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:30   #78
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,

My father in law is looking for an entry level car with a budget of 5 to 5.5 lakhs and the responsibility of picking the car is with me (Hope you get the high stakes decision making)

The requirements :

1- Manual transmission ( He is a first time car buyer and want to learn the basics right )
2- Maruti ( it's a tier 3 city and spares should not be a problem in the long run )
3- New Car ( Car is a status symbol in India )
4- Petrol ( Low running & CNG is ruled out due to lack of availability )
5- Reliable ( His current bike Splendor is running at ~ 21 years and survived the Tsunami too )
6- Family friendly ( Getting In / Out of the car should be easy )
7- Usage : 60 % City roads, 40 % State highways

I had two options in mind - S-Presso and Wagon R

In favor of S-Presso:

- We get the top model for 5.1 Lakhs - Screams VFM
- Small footprint - Easy to drive around
- High GC ( will help in Tier 3 cities)

In favor of Wagon R

- Household name & conservative looks
- Spacious interiors

Thanks in advance for sharing your humble views and suggestions

Mods - I couldn't find a thread for a budget of 5 - 5.5 Lakhs, please move post if necessary

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2020 at 20:22. Reason: Typos.
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Thanks in advance for sharing your humble views and suggestions
My vote goes for the WagonR. In addition to brand recall, WagonR has that conventional old-school charm about it that most oldies seem to prefer. Plonk in another 50k (over the initial budget) and bring home the 1.2 Vxi variant if your FIL intends to do highway drives with full load.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Go for the WagonR. It’s compact, spacious and makes for the perfect 1st car to learn in. Like self_driven said, it is recommended to go over the budget by a bit and get the top-spec VXI.
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, BHPins for all the inputs.
Somehow, we got an amazing deal for a one and half year all Amaze Diezel. So, CNG got out of the equation and we bought it immediately. The end-user is happy with it, as it solves his purpose nicely.
Old 25th February 2021, 22:03   #82

Hello Experts,
I am also in the process of buying a new car for around a budget of 7 to 7.5 OTR.
I drive mostly in the city, Chennai. Very few outstation trips. I own a Santro xing bought in 2007 well maintained and served me well. But now its age is showing with various niggling issues.
Did showroom visits and these are the cars I liked, fit my budget
1 Tata Tiago XZ on-road price of 6.91 discounts around 30k
2 i10 nios Sportz OTR 7.62 with a discount of 40k
3 Swift VXI 7.43 OTR 10k discount (new swift launched today?)
4 Ignis zeta 7.19 OTR with a discount of 20k
5 Nissan magnite XL OTR 7.01 no discounts

I am leaning towards the Nios or the Magnite. Nios has immediate delivery, Magnite is an 18 to 20 weeks waiting period. Please advise. Is there any other car I missed?
Also, should I exchange my old car with the dealer or sell it on online platforms. Which would get me a better deal?
Old 25th February 2021, 22:51   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.arun01 View Post
I am leaning towards the Nios or the Magnite. Nios has immediate delivery, Magnite is an 18 to 20 weeks waiting period. Please advise. Is there any other car I missed?
Also, should I exchange my old car with the dealer or sell it on online platforms. Which would get me a better deal?
Renault Kiger can also be considered.
Magnite has 4-star safety rating
Nios has 2-star

I would suggest taking TD of Kiger, Magnite and Ignis.
Old 27th May 2021, 22:02   #84
BHPian

Hey Petrolheads, My bro is looking for a hatchback in the next 2 months. Budget is strictly around 7.5 lakhs, Should be a family car, Fuss free ownership, Likes to keep the car for 10/15 years.
Please suggest. Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 16:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hey Petrolheads, My bro is looking for a hatchback in the next 2 months. Budget is strictly around 7.5 lakhs, Should be a family car, Fuss free ownership, Likes to keep the car for 10/15 years.
Please suggest. Thanks
Could you please specify a bit more? Feature Requirements and safety etc.?

The only good hatchbacks I think you should look at are the Altroz, Tiago and Freestyle. However, if he can extend his budget by around a lakh, the Magnite, Kiger also fall into budget. He could also look at the Rapid Rider Plus.
Old 28th May 2021, 17:21   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Could you please specify a bit more? Feature Requirements and safety etc.?

The only good hatchbacks I think you should look at are the Altroz, Tiago and Freestyle. However, if he can extend his budget by around a lakh, the Magnite, Kiger also fall into budget. He could also look at the Rapid Rider Plus.
Hey Akash, Thanks for the reply.
There is no specific feature list he has specified and the more features the better.

As his requirement is to keep the car for 10/15 years, obviously the engine should be very good, smooth and with less maintenance.

How about Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz/Tiago XZ? or which are the cars which satisfies the list?
Old 5th September 2021, 15:55   #87

Hello BHPians,

I have been looking for a new car within 6 lakhs (can't stretch much further) and since this will be the first car for my family, it's been a difficult couple of days to weigh in the pros and cons of the choices.

Note : I have been taking driving classes and I am still a beginner. No one in my family knows driving and I will be the one taking the car around once we buy it.
Also this is a pretty long post.

My key criteria :

1- Manual transmission ( Being first time car buyer, I would want to go through basics)
2- Budget of around 6 lakhs (preferably below 6 Lakhs)
3- Hassle free maintenance, reliability and safety
4- Usage : Being a beginner, I will mostly be try to learn well and rides will be limited to City mostly. Will try to venture out to highways once I am pretty confident
5- Basic bluetooth enabled Music System

Options that were considered (In no order of preference)
- Maruti WagonR - VXi (o)
- Hyundai Santro - Magna
- Tata Tiago - XE (with additional Music system and remote locking as accessories)
- Renault Triber - RXE (This was a budget stretch, but my dad was attracted by the extra 2 seats)

Due to lockdown, most of my initial research was online to and finally we got out to take a look at the options in person

Thoughts on the choices :

Maruti WagonR (VXi(O))
- Was quite spacious
- Offered decent features for the money
- Tall boy design made it look bigger when we were seated inside
- 2 front airbags and power windows and ABS
- Basic bluetooth music system with 2 speakers

We loved WagonR when we checked it out and this was definitely a contender

Hyundai Santro (Magna)
We felt this was a bit smaller than WagonR and offered lesser boot space
Interiors were great and price was equivalent to WagonR; hence we thought we will take this off the list

Tata Tiago (XE)
-Dual airbags with ABS
-Pretty good interiors
-4* NCAP (the most widely advertised feature)
-Very good looks
This was also smaller than WagonR. The SA offered us Sony TouchScreen Music System with 4 Speakers, Rear Parking camera and Remote Locking as additional accessories and matched the price of WagonR.

Renault Triber RXE
Bare minimum features
Unavailability of AC vents in second/third [summer rides will be very difficult]
No discounts at all - 6.95 was the final price

We still felt WagonR was spacious and checked all our requirements. and budget.

I did my due diligence of enquiring with 2-3 Maruti Showrooms (Chennai), negotiated with all Insurance coverage ( Zero Dep, RTI, EP ) and got the best quote for 5.85L (Say Dealer A), 5.9L(Dealer B) and 5.93L (Dealer C).

Dealer A and B quoted max 30-40 days waiting but assured car within 15-20 days since WagonR was best-selling and VXI(O) won't be affected by the Semiconductor shortage.
Dealer C had the vehicle and assured delivery in 1 week but gave 5.93L as their best price.

I went ahead and booked WagonR on 29th July 2021 with Dealer A for 5.85L [With basic accessories, Extended Warranty and all insurance coverage]

Note : In hindsight, I feel I should have gone with Dealer C

Since the SA assured delivery within 15-20 days, we shopped around and got the loan approvals and were ready with everything from our end.

After around 20 days, I gave a call to the SA and asked about the allotment status. No reply from the SA. He replied with a whatsapp message the next day mentioning that the allotment hasn't been done since Maruti production has been cut down but I can expect allotment in that week.
I followed up again by the end of that week and still the same response. I was aware of the semiconductor shortage and hence waited out.

Around 30 days, I get mail from Dealer regarding Delay with no estimated time. I follow up with SA and he forwards my call to his Lead - same reply from him as well, but mentions that allotment will be done soon.

On September 1, I get mail from Dealer mentioning that the discount they offered has been cut down and I have to pay an additional 5k. I also read the news that Maruti is planning to hike prices for all vehicles from 1 September.

I followed up with SA and his lead; no news on allotment or updated price. He is also unsure whether prices of all models will be hiked.
I also read news that MSIL might hike the prices by 3-4%, which means I will have to shell out extra 15-20k. This approx brings the price of my booked WagonR to 6.05-6.1L (considering the discount cut as well). During the same time was the Insurance hike court order which then got stayed for 90 days (as per news)

This made me think of Tiago which I could get for a lesser price than the WagonR (after hike). I made enquiries and I was able to get a deal for 5.93L for Tiago XE variant with Sony Touch Screen System with 4 Speakers, Rear parking camera and Remote Locking system. Extended Warranty was offered for one additional year only and I excluded it.
Delivery Period was given as 20 days assured.

Coming to my question : I would really like the suggestions and opinions of fellow experienced BHPians on which one I should go with - WagonR or Tiago

WagonR - Expected Price hike but quantum of hike not known; delivery period not known
Tiago - my next best option with assured delivery period

Both the cars have their own pros and cons, but given the budget and current scenario of Insurance hike possibility+WagonR price hike, I am a bit confused on which car to lean.
Not sure if this idea is stupid, but I thought of booking Tiago as well and keep whichever gets allotted to me first and cancel the other.

Which car holds good VFM ,reliability and easy maintenance for a beginner given the price hike scenario as well.
Though price point is important to me, I really want to settle for a car that will live with me for at least 5-6 years and should offer a decent resale value as well

Mods : I found this topic apt for getting suggestions . Please do move if there is any other thread that this should belong to.
Old 5th September 2021, 16:53   #88

Forgot to mention these :
- The car is for a family of 5
- I also heard some negative reviews for Tata Service. I enquired a bit and got to know that Tata Service is fairly decent in Chennai; Point being, I would like to have a good after-sales experience as well.
- Whether installing Music System, Speakers and Remote Locking System will cause issues in Warranty or insurance issues - In the case of Tata Tiago, I will be getting these from the dealer if I book this as well

Please share your suggestions & opinions and guide me through for an informed selection.
My state of confusion is because I am unable to gauge which car would be the best for the family and for me as a beginner. Also considering the strict budget as well since wedding bells are around the corner

Last edited by krishnanArun : 5th September 2021 at 16:57.
Old 5th September 2021, 17:24   #89
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnanArun View Post
Which car holds good VFM ,reliability and easy maintenance for a beginner given the price hike scenario as well.
I would suggest you to consider Ignis Delta variant among these choices which is quite VFM and a very nice car. Just call Nexa and ask them to bring one to your home for TD.
Old 5th September 2021, 17:28   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I would suggest you to consider Ignis Delta variant among these choices which is quite VFM and a very nice car. Just call Nexa and ask them to bring one to your home for TD.
I did enquire for Ignis. Only Ignis Sigma falls within my budget and with the impending price hike, I think that too will fall close to 6L. Also the delivery times are quoted upto 7 weeks.

Most Viewed