Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which hatchback would you choose?
Volkswagen Polo 157 40.36%
Maruti Swift 26 6.68%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 11 2.83%
Hyundai Elite i20 39 10.03%
Maruti Baleno 13 3.34%
Maruti Ignis 5 1.29%
Ford Figo 49 12.60%
Tata Altroz 79 20.31%
Other (please specify in your post) 10 2.57%
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 15:36   #31
BHPian

Re: 2020 Volkswagen Polo vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs the others

Voted for Altroz (Diesel).

It comes in great package and it's a VFM product. Perfect combination of stunning looks + performance + driveavility + space & features + SAFETY !
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 17:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzgeo89 View Post
I find it interesting that most of these polls are heavily biased towards brands like VW, Ford, TATA, skoda etc. I understand the reasoning behind it and we are all enthusiasts. What I would really like to know is whether people who voted for say, a ford Figo or Tata altroz would actually spend their money to buy one of these cars if they are in the market for one.

I drive a Ford and although theoretically I would love to own a Figo, or a polo or an altroz I may never end up buying one due to reasons that are obvious. I’m not questioning anyone’s opinion, just thinking out loud. Clearly the market begs to differ. But is the sentiment really that stark in reality!? I hope I haven’t offended anybody
Totally agree with the above !!!
- We vote based on 'how we feel', we purchase based on our thinking/careful analysis/ past experiences - own /others. (exceptions occur when the 'heart' rules over the 'head') - would be good to see whether the voting here even reflects actual ownership numbers even within our TBHP community (even keeping the latest models out)
- Even the 'feeling', is it based on actual TDs/ownership or based on reading views /watching reviews only?
- driving pleasure vs ownership - it's one thing to take an occasional TD/drive someone else's car, would we go ahead and plonk our money on it ? All other factors (reliability, ASS, features, space etc.) mentioned in earlier posts definitely come into play then.
- primary car vs secondary car, and so on

As an example, consider the Figo. Nearly all the votes are for the Diesel, yet for both Figo and Freestyle, the petrol version sold more than their diesel counterparts in 2019 (Figo - 69%/31% , Freestyle 57%/43%in favor of petrol. Source : auto panditz).

PS: My vote went for the Figo (P) - though i am in the market for a 2nd car, manual petrol and currently undecided between Swift and Figo.
Old 27th July 2020, 17:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

It was between the Polo, Figo & Altroz for me & I've voted for the Altroz diesel. The Polo is good but apart from the engine, it's just too old and impractical as a family car.

The Figo has an awesome engine but feels a segment down compared to the competition.

This is where the Altroz diesel seems to tick all the boxes with a nice engine, build, safety, features and practicality. The upcoming Turbo petrol should help make the Altroz a better overall package.
Old 27th July 2020, 21:24   #34
BHPian

The battle of sub-10L Hot Hatches : Polo TSI vs Figo TDCi

Note: There is already an existing poll (VW Polo 1.0 TSI vs Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi for an enthusiast?) on this topic. However, that was more from a comparison between the Figo and the 1.2 GT-TSI as majority of us hadn't driven the new 1.0 TSI. The cost played a huge part here as the GT came at a 1.5 lakh premium over the Figo Blu. Now that the official review is out and many of us have driven the new engine in either the Polo, Rapid or Vento, I felt that this a thread worth starting again.

Prologue: The Indian market has never been kind to the concept of hot-hatches. The likes of the Abarth Punto, the Baleno RS or the JTP twins have come and gone too fast (pun intended). The common buyer has never found resonance with these amazing cars and understand the value proposition these bring (except for the GT-TSI, which has done relatively well but more because of the convenience of an Automatic and a reasoning that such an advance technology justifies the cost). Now with the introduction of the Polo 1.0 TSI at a sub 10L price point, suddenly the dream of many enthusiasts who have always wanted to own a powerful Polo TSI seems much more realistic than before. But then, the comparison with the other fast hatch of the segment, the Figo TDCi becomes much more relevant given the near equal price point of the two. Incidentally, both these engines have been voted by the BHPians as the best engines in their respective segments: 1L 3 Cylinder Turbo Petrol (Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India) and Diesel Engines in India (The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene).

Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI

2020 Volkswagen Polo vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs the others-20200421071614_volkswagonpolo1.0tsiaction2.jpg

Launched a decade back, the Polo really hasn't changed much in terms of looks during all these years. VW has brought minor updates now and then but the overall look has remained. That is a good thing for sure because the Polo has always looked stunning and even today it can compete any other car in its segment in terms of looks. We can complain that the design is ageing but we surely can't about the simple elegance the car has even now.

2020 Volkswagen Polo vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs the others-2020vwpolotsi01.jpg

The interior of the Polo complements the exterior with its simple no nonsense design. Certainly it is neither a quirky design nor loaded with features as some competitions have, but it is certainly functional. Everything falls in place and is soothing to the eyes. The touch and feel is top notch and feels from a segment above. Quality has always been VW's strong point and it shows. Even the comparatively small touch screen is crisp and very responsive to use.

Positives
  • The engine. What a beast it is! Loves to be revved. Makes the Polo the fastest car in the sub 10L price point.
  • The introduction of manual transmission has made the Polo an attractive proposition. The 6-speed transmission is slick and a joy to operate.
  • One of the best handlers in this segment if not the best. The steering is direct. Only a bit more feel and this would have been unbeatable.
  • Expected to be fuel-efficient (under regular driving. Put you foot down and see those FE figures disappear along with everything around you).
  • Solid build quality. Unbeatable in this aspect. That thud says it all.
Negatives
  • Rear seat space and comfort.
  • Expensive to maintain in terms of service and spare parts.
  • Long term reliability of 1L-3 cylinder turbos in general.
  • Volkswagen's own reliability. The DSG was infamous. Can the TSI stand the test of time? Issues like Carbon build up in these TSI engines are being reported in various forums.

Ford Figo TDCi

2020 Volkswagen Polo vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs the others-20190315123732_fordfigoblufrontstatic.jpg
Like its competition, the Figo too was introduced to the Indian market almost a decade back. However, unlike the Polo, it got a midlife update wherein the car got a major overhaul in terms of its looks along with a significant departure from the way the good old Figo was built.
The new Figo stands out from the others in terms of looks. The Aston Martin inspired grills are a major factor in terms of distinction. The design is polarizing as opinions are divided. I personally quite like the way the car looks.

2020 Volkswagen Polo vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs the others-2019fordfigofacelift01.jpg

The interior of the Figo is again functional at best. There is nothing fancy just like the Polo. However, the touch and feel and the premium feeling that the Polo provides is missing here. The plastic quality is strictly average. The instrument cluster is old and unimpressive and it is surely an opportunity missed by Ford here.

Positives:
  • The punchy diesel everyone loves. Strong mid-range, minimum lag, fantastic performance.
  • Top notch dynamics. Best steering in the class combined with excellent handling. Typical Ford.
  • Fuel efficient. Pocket-friendly performer.
  • Low maintenance cost. Adding to that, the Ford service cost calculator gives the exact amount. Quite a cool thing.
  • The engine used in multiple Ford vehicles is an old school 4 cylinder and reliable.
Negatives:
  • Not as well built like earlier Fords. Far behind Polo in this aspect.
  • Low volumes mean a possibility of discontinuation in the future.
  • Ford's own future with respect to India.

Features exclusive to Polo
  • Cruise Control
  • Apple Car Play/Android Auto
  • Rear AC Vents
  • Driver Armrest
  • Dead Pedal
  • Steering telescopic adjustment

Features exclusive to Figo
  • Rear parking camera
  • Engine Start button
  • Automatic headlamps

Common Misses
  • Rear Armrest
  • Projector Headlamps
  • LED DRL

How about a Hot-Cross (if you can call that)
To get something out of the dwindling sales of the Figo, Ford introduced the Freestyle in 2018. A ramped up avatar of the Figo, Ford tried to give a SUV like appearance with higher ground clearance and plastic cladding. It however was able to retain the same driving dynamics as the Figo. The Freestyle commands a certain premium over the Figo, but given it provides a host of additional safety features like active rollover protection, traction control, ESP and hill launch assist, it justifies the same completely.

2020 Volkswagen Polo vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs the others-41384_2018_ford_freestyle_001.jpg

The Hard Choice
Once you have driven these vehicles, it becomes quite a difficult decision to choose one among the three. The outright performance, the solid build, the quality feel of the interiors make it hard to ignore the Polo in spite of all the negatives. It is a car for the heart.
The Figo on the other hand is more of a combination of the heart and head. Strong performance, fun to drive elements, practicality and economical - it makes a compelling choice.

2020 Volkswagen Polo vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Elite i20 vs the others-capture.png
SansGT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 22:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

If I am in the market for a Premium Hatch now, my money will go to Tata's account.

Voted for Altroz

Yes, Freestyle TDCi was an option till Ford decided to remove Sync 3 from the Titanium+ variant.

Now Altroz Diesel will be my top preference. Punchy diesel, 5 Star Safety, All bells and whistles including Android Auto is all I need. Yes Diesel is way costly than lame Petrol. Let us wait for the Turbo Petrol along with the rumored DSG to pick a final engine option.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 11:08   #36
BHPian

Voted for Polo.

Was and will always be a fan of Polo. Even though the DSG is a pain in the neck. Nothing comes close to the build quality.
Old 28th July 2020, 11:14   #37
BHPian

Was in the same boat in last October but looking for an automatic, ended up buying the Glanza G CVT for its low maintainence, high FE, Toyota service reliability and Maruti resale

Rejected the following for below rationale:
1. Swift - AMT was jerky
2. I-20 - low FE and overpriced
3. Polo - too old, was itching to buy at 1.3 Lakh discount on offer but already owing an expensive to maintain Volvo S60 which was due for an engine part replacement, tyres replacement and insurance renewal; decided to stay away from maintenance stand point, the base modle on Polo makes alot of sense if anyone is looking for MT
4. Baleno - Why not Glanza
5. Altroz - was not launched back then
Old 28th July 2020, 11:20   #38
BHPian

Pleasantly surprised to see that, most of the vote goes for Polo.

Though I have liked the polo for its shape, dynamics and engine, I doubt whether I will go for it, when I am actually purchasing it, Though I liked to the core,Mainly because of long term reliability and its After Sales service.

Also, I doubt, whether the people who has voted for Polo, will go for it, when they have the requirement for the new hatchback.

So, My vote goes to Tata, I liked the look, engine( diesel only ) and its 5 Star rating, which I am more interested as I have Just crossed 40+, safety is more important,
Old 28th July 2020, 12:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Before I go into the reasons why I would choose i20, I am amazed at how polls pick the "enthusiast" cars but in reality, we opt the safer(A.S.S terms) and more practical options. If it was just for the sake of poll, I would choose the polo 1.0 tsi for pure fun or the Altroz for the smashing looks and safety.
Voted for Polo. When I was looking for a fun to drive automatic (for the traffic, little did I know that Corona would solve that problem!), I almost finalised the Polo GT TSI 1.2. It was so much fun to drive! The reason I didn't buy it wasn't because of the ASS or the lack of rear space or the headlights or the lack of lower back support. I could have lived with (or fixed) all of those. It was because of the AC whose cooling is not even adequate. When I'm driving fast I should be sweating the car is running at it's limits not because the AC is running at it's limits If only there were aftermarket upgrades for ACs.

If I were looking for a fun to drive manual, I'd pick the i20 Petrol. It's really fun to drive in the city. And has everything you'd expect from a car. I wouldn't be taking it much on the highway because I already have a higher segment car (City).

I ended up having to buy the Octavia because none of the automatic hatchbacks were worthy enough. Yeah, I'm the typical automatic buyer who shops across segments that you keep hearing of.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:52   #40
BHPian

Actually my choice is Ford Free style 1.5D but voted for Figo as both shares the same engine.
If I need to choose in petrol, my vote goes to Polo with eyes closed.
Old 28th July 2020, 13:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Others, which is the Freestyle 1.5 diesel. I’d consider next the Altroz diesel, and then the Polo. No Marutis our Hyundais because of their inferior build (Maruti primarily) and terrible dynamics (Hyundai).
Old 28th July 2020, 15:45   #42
BHPian

Voted for the Swift, a safe choice. A no nonsense hatchback ideal for city as well as for occasional highway runs.
Old 28th July 2020, 15:58   #43
BHPian

Voted for the Altroz, I know the engine is termed as lame, I have test driven Altroz twice and both the times within city limits. The engine felt ok, not great and not bad either. Yes, it is vocal when you try to push it.
I'll probably be more keep to see what the turbo petrol brings.

Although, I love the Polo for its TSI engine, (I test drove the TSI Vento, it was quick). However the interiors are really dated. And no matter the engine performance can't purchase it now.

Also, I ll keep a watch for what i20 1 ltr engine brings to the table, I didn't get a chance to TD this engine yet in Venue/Nios.

Last edited by punto_ : 28th July 2020 at 16:00.
Old 28th July 2020, 18:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Just breaking it down for my own help
- Buying as an enthusiast where dated looks or long term expenses wont matter : VW Polo

- Buying as an enthusiast where resale value is not important : Ford Figo Diesel / Altroz Diesel

- Buying as an enthusiast where resale value is important : Maruti Swift

- Buying a practical no nonsense car with lots of space but no fun factor : Baleno/i20

- Buying a car which will stand out (other factors not considering) : Ignis / Altroz

- Buying a car where safety is important : Tata Altroz

Man, I am so confused !
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 19:27   #45
BHPian

Well, after so many years of same old comments - Polo is old, Polo needs to bring newer model to India, Polo needs more feature, Polo rear space is bad, Polo has bad after sales and service, Polo has bad resale value and what not - It is pleasing to see that the majority ( Poll winner by a mile) still believes, it is the best one there.
There is no alternative to its mature ride, build quality, paint quality, thud from its gate, engine and transmission, well weighted steering and the sense of pride to own as you know that YOU ARE DIFFERENT. There can be a more feature loaded car (i20), more dapper looking (Baleno), more powerful engine( Figo 1.5 diesel),gates with 90 degree ingress (Altroz), but there cannot be another car which feels like a POLO. eg: Altroz is solidly built, has 5 star rating but in comparison and IMHO Polo feels a step above in built quality too. The way everything ( laser weld, zero rattle plastics, impeccable shut lines with zero gap, sheet quality, etc) comes together gives Polo that lead.

POLO Fan boy!
Roadster17 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks