Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2007, 00:26   #1
BHPian

M800 5 Speed or Zen Carb

I am looking for purchasing a car for my wife ... who is new to driving ... pls help choose
  • Cars short listed - M800 5 Speed with AC or Zen Carb
  • Price range - Less than 85K
  • Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - As low as possible
  • Average distance traveled per month - less than 300 kms
  • Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) - City
  • Chauffer driven / self driven - self driven by wife
  • Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family - don't think so
  • Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - Ease of driving
  • How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - Atleast 4 years
Old 25th March 2007, 02:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Zen carb. Much better car. Also consider an Alto 1.1, if you can find it cheap.
Old 25th March 2007, 04:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
He can get a old model zen and maybe a 5 speed m800 but a alto is out of question for just 85K we are talking alto here and it has alot of demand in new car segment so hence the high price as used my alto with the ice and the alloys is going for 1.75K and that to 2003 model and around 65K on odo so its 90K less or i say double the amount he is willing to spend
Old 25th March 2007, 05:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, didn't see the 85k budget.
Old 25th March 2007, 14:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Zen carb has huge turning radius (4.9m) ... and pathetic low end torque ... had owned one ... which I sold 18 months back .... mileage will also be lower say 14 kmpl

Never driven M800 5 speed ... but have heard it is a very good car ... also it will be MPFI ... think it will have decent low end torque and low turning radius ... also mileage should be better ... around 16 kmpl ...

Hence, I am still confused :(

Any other suggestions in the sub 1 lac price range also welcome ...
Old 25th March 2007, 19:47   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I have a 800DX (i.e. 5 gear) .... an early 2000 model, and interestingly the car still works fine.

It's peppy, it feels MUCH faster than it actually is. Low end torque isn't any good... but then I guess none of the 800's models are much different.

The car rattles....

Mileage (FE) is very good... have seen 18 in the city ... without ac.

I feel MPFI's are much more reliable if you maintain them properly.

Still if mileage and cost of maintenance can be ignored .. a well maintained zen is a better deal. WHY? ...
the ac would be better,
the engine is itself smoother,
there's more space,
much better brakes

finally its your call.
Old 25th March 2007, 19:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but the Al Zen engine is way smoother and more responsive. Less jerky. More comfortable. All that, which is why I suggested it.
Old 25th March 2007, 20:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_2006 View Post
I am looking for purchasing a car for my wife ... who is new to driving ... pls help choose
  • Cars short listed - M800 5 Speed with AC or Zen Carb
  • Price range - Less than 85K
  • Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - As low as possible
Which car did she learn driving on? An 800? For a new driver, I think the 800 is better. Note that the Zen has a very good driving position (for driving freaks), but might be a bit discomforting for a newbie.

Especially looking at costs of maintenance - go for the 5-speed M800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_2006 View Post

How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - Atleast 4 years
Well, I think after 2 months (600 kms) of driving the 5-speed M800, you would definitely wished you got the Zen If you are sure you are going for 4 years, go for the Zen which is a better car any day. Just tell your wife to not get too troubled by the Zen's seating, etc..esp if she learnt her lessons on a M800.

Final Verdict : Zen Carb.

Last edited by johy : 25th March 2007 at 20:25.
Old 25th March 2007, 23:42   #9
BHPian

Thanks v1p3r, SLK and Johy ... I
guess searching for a 95 to 99 model zen carb is easier than searching for a well maintained M800 5 speed ... will keep searching and keep u all posted ...
Old 26th March 2007, 01:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

My bet wud be 800. Its still made. (ie. still in production). Parts are dirt cheap. Way easily available in your budget. Even after 4years it will fetch you good price..

Why not zen?
Seating is bit lower than 800. Not made anymore, so chances that if she wrecks the fender or bumper, it wud have a long waiting period to get it.
Old 26th March 2007, 02:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Seating is bit lower than 800. Not made anymore, so chances that if she wrecks the fender or bumper, it wud have a long waiting period to get it.
Sorry, but by Indian law, a car manufacturer has to make spares for a car up until 7 years after production is discontinued. Also, the last-gen M800 shares the rear, if not the front bumper with the carb Zen.
Old 26th March 2007, 09:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but by Indian law, a car manufacturer has to make spares for a car up until 7 years after production is discontinued. Also, the last-gen M800 shares the rear, if not the front bumper with the carb Zen.
I know the rules man. But how many manufacturer follows them.. Rules are just on papers dude!
I was in a fix when we had mahindra voyager. we had a hard time finding coolant bottle for it. just a plastic coolant bottle...imagine finding critical parts
also tell me a place which sells matiz's injectors...Its better safe than sorry.
'1st generation maruti shares rear with zen' thats something new
Old 29th March 2007, 14:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dj, If your budget is 85k i'm doubtful whether you'll be able to get a 5Speed M800 in good nick for that much money. Down south that price is way too low for a 5speed M800. You'll have more chance of finding an old carb Zen for that much money.

Go for the Zen if you can find one in good nick. If the seating is too low think about seat cushion or redoing the upholstery to make it higher. Zen has better luggage space, rear seat space and a responsive engine (depends on condition) than the 800. The maintenance cost is not that high either when compared with the 800.

Other options under sub 1lakh small cars include Matiz, Uno.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks