Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2020, 16:51   #1

Which cheap + used Automatic hatchback to buy?

Hello fellow Bhpians, this is my first post so please forgive me if I make any mistakes.

I have been trying to buy a used automatic car for my sister to learn to drive in. My budget is around 4 lakhs, although the cheaper the better. As this is her first car my dad is insisting that it be a cheap car as she might scratch the car a lot while parking etc. I will sell the car in a few months and then buy a proper car for her. I have a Honda Civic Hybrid and teaching her in that car is difficult, it being a huge (relatively) car.

I see a lot of old gen i10s, a few santros and celerios here and there in my budget. I primarily look on OLX and all I see are dealerships posting ads and very few individuals. I am anti dealerships( got scammed in the past ). I was hoping to know if you can help me by suggesting what cars might be best for my purpose. Any references pointing to friends and family selling their cars would be great too.

PS: I live in Hyderabad
srikacharla123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 19:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Which cheap + used Automatic hatchback to buy?

Here's a couple of threads you can consider:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...t-comfort.html (Used Automatic car under 5 lakhs, for safety & rear seat comfort)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...5-lakhs-4.html (Confused on which AMT Hatchback to buy within a budget of 5 lakhs)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...-hatch-46.html (Which Automatic Hatch?)
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 19:38   #3
BHPian

I have a slightly different suggestion.

Since your sister is going to be learning how to drive - please get her a manual. In India, with the prevalence of manual cars, it is important to know how to drive one. A person who has driven only automatics will feel handicapped if asked to drive any other car. Whereas the transition from manual to automatic is a breeze.

Slightly steeper learning curve, but she will thank you for helping her learn an essential life skill
Shreyas_H is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 20:10   #4
BHPian

An automatic car makes more sense as its the future and fast gaining popularity owing to the quick learning curve.

Moreover our Indian road manners are not that friendly with situations where they see someone stalling the engine for clutch / brake co-ordination or taking more time to turn a car around that is holding up someone's way.

If this car is to get her kick started into driving so that in future the upgradation to a proper car can be done then I can think of nothing else except a Tata Nano AMT if you can get from a reliable source and will come within 80,000 to 1,50,000 INR depending on condition and age.

Next higher up will be a i10 automatic or a Maruti Celerio automatic. The advantage will be that she will get to develop the sense of the dimension of the regular sized entry level hatches.
haisaikat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 21:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Try and see if you can find a good Honda Brio AT. It was a good car, and will make a pretty good purchase. I am sure there will be cars within your budget, considering it has been a while since it was launched.

https://www.olx.in/item/honda-brio-v...iid-1591816056

Last edited by Eddy : 1st September 2020 at 21:19.
Eddy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 21:18   #6

I know what you mean but in this day and age almost every car is coming with an automatic transmission and it is going to be this way in the future too, hence going with an automatic transmission
Old 1st September 2020, 21:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
An automatic car makes more sense as its the future and fast gaining popularity owing to the quick learning curve.

Moreover our Indian road manners are not that friendly with situations where they see someone stalling the engine for clutch / brake co-ordination or taking more time to turn a car around that is holding up someone's way.

If this car is to get her kick started into driving so that in future the upgradation to a proper car can be done then I can think of nothing else except a Tata Nano AMT if you can get from a reliable source and will come within 80,000 to 1,50,000 INR depending on condition and age.

Next higher up will be a i10 automatic or a Maruti Celerio automatic. The advantage will be that she will get to develop the sense of the dimension of the regular sized entry level hatches.
Tata nano amt was my first choice but it is extremely hard to find in. I don’t see a single one on sale anywhere. i10 is also a good choice but couldn’t find any good ones. I am also looking at old santro’s but I’ve heard they are gas guzzlers hence a little skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Try and see if you can find a good Honda Brio AT. It was a good car, and will make a pretty good purchase. I am sure there will be cars within your budget, considering it has been a while since it was launched.

https://www.olx.in/item/honda-brio-v...iid-1591816056
I’d love a brio. But most of them are too costly. In the example you gave me. 4.8l is a lot of money for the car

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2020 at 05:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged
srikacharla123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 22:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Try getting an A-Star, Ritz, Swift or Micra CVT. Do get the car checked before buying though. I agree with BHPians that driving a manual is a good skill to have in India, even if automatics are quickly becoming popular.

Check this thread out: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/93735-stop-nothing-not-even-gears-1st-star-ownership-team-bhp.html (Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikacharla123 View Post
I am also looking at old santro’s but I’ve heard they are gas guzzlers hence a little skeptical.
Do gas guzzlers matter for a short term car? I think FE is acceptable - 8 kmpl from my previous neighbor who'd commute through Silk Board + ORR everyday in Bangalore.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 1st September 2020 at 22:26.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 22:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikacharla123 View Post
I have been trying to buy a used automatic car for my sister to learn to drive in. My budget is around 4 lakhs, although the cheaper the better. As this is her first car my dad is insisting that it be a cheap car as she might scratch the car a lot while parking etc. I will sell the car in a few months and then buy a proper car for her.
You have perfectly shortlisted from the Hyundai stable. As fellow members have pointed out, Brio would be a good option but may slightly overshoot your budget.
Additionally, I will also suggest to look into the Ritz/A-Star models from Maruti unless you have strong reasons not to consider. The automatic versions were available in VXi trim only and had ABS. It is a 4 speed torque converter (probably same model is still used in current cars). Under 4 lacs, for a short period of ownership these should be easy to maintain the exteriors and sell.
Also if you are really lucky and want to lose the least amount in ownership, you may try find a WagonR AX (based on the first or second generation LX if I recall) but with a 3 speed torque converter and without ABS. Personally, I am a bit biased towards models with ABS. Those last moment panic stops during learning will save a lot of money later.
Old 1st September 2020, 23:09   #10
BHPian

As an owner of Celerio Automatic and having done the hunt for good automatic cars some time earlier I would say that the car that fits your purpose is Alto K10.

Reason being that most of the smaller cars (<10 Lac) offer Automatics on top variants which are unnecessary for your purpose. Alto K10 as a car was designed for those who want automatics and as such is relatively bells and whistles free.
Old 1st September 2020, 23:20   #11
BHPian

Since I'm Searching for the same, here is my order of preference

Torque Converter ATs
Honda Brio AT
MS A-Star AT
Hyundai i10

CVT ATs
Nissan Micra

AMTs
Celerio AMT
Wagon R AMT
MS Alto K10
Renault Kwid
Datsun Redi-Go

Personally I've found a lot of Civics and Arrow shape Honda City compared to good hatchbacks. There are also SX4 ATs, Corolla ATs which seem better than the hatchback options.

i20 AT is a guzzler and so is i10
I saw one Zen AT on carwale but not sure if it's via individual or dealer or even worth the atrocious price that he has quoted.
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 23:55   #12
BHPian

I learnt to drive on a Santro, so I agree a bit on getting a small car to learn upon.
I was a mouth watering deal on a 1999 Baleno (sedan shape), I got that for my sister, she learnt to drive in that car, my building had only one entry and exit, either reverse or do multiple point turns to get in and out.

She didn't know any better, in the excitement of learning to drive, she learnt to swim in the deeper end of the ocean.

As long as she has control of the machine, your sister will do fine on the civic, I do agree with @Shreyas_H here a manual might be a good start.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 1st September 2020 at 23:56. Reason: spacing
neofromcapone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:43   #13
BHPian

I am in the same boat as you. We have a Jeep Compass which my father drives and I wanted my mother to learn driving. Therefore I was looking for a used auto hatchback.

After looking around for almost a month, I have finalised a Micra XV CVT (top end) 2017 model and 26K on the odo at 3.5 lakhs. Might take her home by the end of this week.

I would strongly suggest micra CVT for the following reasons
  1. Its very easy to drive in the city, short turning radius, good suspension setup
  2. Linear power delivery (not too powerful could be a good thing too while learning)
  3. Seems very well built and is a segment above the i10s, altos or celerios
  4. Comes with airbags ABS EBD BA (I think post 2017, they have 4 airbags on top model)
  5. The best part, they are cheap in used car market. Look at the deal that I am getting. If it were a maruti or a hyundai it would not have depreciated more than say 25%, here on Nissan its >50% depreciation

The fate of nissan in unknown in India but since they are about to launch a new sub 4 meter compact SUV, I think they are here for another year or two atleast.

Here is a comment I would like to quote from fellow BHPian ChoosetoCruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
The engine itself is extremely reliable as long as it’s serviced on schedule. The weakest link of the Micra is the suspension components, but since this example has only run 26K, you’re only looking at basic service & maintenance. Make sure the CVT is still in good shape & no history of accidents, etc, before you purchase it. The Micra ages extremely well as even my 2010 Micra AT still drives like brand new with 166,000kms + and counting. It’s a truly fill it, shut it & forget it vehicle.

Since you have a Nissan service center nearby & the car is good mechanically, I think the price seems alright. As always, try & bargain for an even better deal, but if unable, that’s still a great price for a barely broken in 3yr old car.
Good luck on your hunt
shishir333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:52   #14
BHPian

A star/i10/Micra.

- For your requirements, any of these will do good. For few months of use, I would pick an A-Star.

- All these are reliable enough.

- All have more or less same FE, though have heard that i10 doesn't impress in FE department (I am assuming FE won't be a big concern for you owing to less usage).

- All are low maintenance.

- MICRA - Only reason not to buy one would be bad resale (Nissan).

- BRIO - Looks cute, fun to drive (matters to your sister?). Somehow I do not feel its safe, due to that glassy rear.

Also, no point in spending extra money on this for few months of ownership, when you have equally reliable and cheaper A-Star and I10.
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:04   #15
BHPian

Re: Best budget second hand automatic car to buy in india

I was buying a new automatic for my wife 4 years ago (Feb-Mar 2016 time frame). Those cars would now be available now in the second hand market at a decent price.

Firstly, if your sister is looking at an automatic with the expectation of learning a manual geared car later, that would not work. The reduced likelihood of stalling the car and the ease of driving-off on gradients along with the ease of driving prevents them going back. In such cases, you are better off taking the pains and learning a manual geared car. If not, read on.

If safety is a concern (and it should be), I will steer clear of a Hyundai. Their automatic cars of that era were given step-motherly treatment; even their top-end Asta in i10 did not have airbags when the manual version had. I remember the small (*) in their brochure mentioning dual airbags were not available in the automatic.

I had then test-driven Ford Figo DCT, Nissan Micra CVT, Honda Brio AT and Maruti WagonR AMT then. Based on that experience, I would give highest recommendation for a used Nissan Micra CVT followed by Honda Brio AT. Micra is very smooth to drive and probably the best for a beginner. They are also reliable so the chances of you getting it in good condition are higher. Brio AT was not as smooth but should a good alternative. Ford Figo DCT had a drive as good as the Micra, but I guess it would be hard to find and dual clutch gearboxes reliability has been questioned on this forum.

We finally ended up buying the WagonR AMT because it ticked all the boxes for us. I would recommend it over Celerio because the WagonR just seemed to be better constructed. It was also in 2016 that Maruti had started giving optional ABS/dual airbags on even the lowest version. So please look out for the presence of these while hunting around. Also the AMT head nod will be present for a beginner every time there is a gear change, but with experience they can learn to modulate the accelerator pedal to eliminate it.

I hope this feedback helps you in some way.
pnredkar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed