Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2007, 08:04   #1
BHPian

Swift Vxi or Swift Vdi or New Ikon Flair

Hi all ,

I have been pondering on which car to buy for atleast one month now . Initially i was hell bent on getting a new Swift Vdi but then i made a small cost analysis between Swift Vdi and Vxi and found that the extra price paid is not worth it or is it ?? I saw one or two threads with people having the similar problems but did not help me much!!

I already have a diesel indica ( 2004 model ) which I intent to keep for use for my family and I intent to buy a new car mainly for my home-office-home commuting . My annual running should not exceed 9,000 to 10,000 kms annually.

Many posts said that one's running estimates go haywire once u fall in love with your car and you tend to use it more. Secondly there were views which said that even though swift vdi costs more , it is a technologically superior engine and is worth the extra penny u pay for it .Thirdly there was one member who also said that it is easier to cut a cheque of a high amount than spending a higher amount of petrol in cash every day .

All the above views are so very true and this is what makng me confused. Even though i will have to shell out the extra amount for VDi ( both ex showroom price wise + car loan interest wise ) , is it worth it ??

Also does it not make more sense to buy a ford ikon !! There are reviews which say that ikon is underpowered , ac vents blow hot air initially ( which is a problem ), poor resale value of car , do one still go for a ford ikon assuming the fact that it has a boot which can be very useful at times and the car gives the feel of a big car . (Ford Ikon is cheaper than Swift Vdi ) . Also can anyone confirm whether all the above problems have been solved in the New Ford Ikon Flair, or is it just a marketing gimmick ??
Old 29th March 2007, 08:28   #2
BHPian

i put my money on the ikon and id also add the extra package on it which has some great features. if u wait for a week, u shud also check out the new renault logan. it looks decent and very fuel efficient.
Old 29th March 2007, 09:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon is a good car, but i would not advice anyone to buy a new ikon at this stage. Resale value is almost rock bottom right now & could become non-saleable in 4 years time. So beware. same goes for the esteem & the accent. Wait for the Logan.
Old 29th March 2007, 09:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

To me its quite simple.
If you are looking for F.E and dont mind missing out on the comfort of the small goddies that you could get at that price... and if you like the design... and if you dont mind maruti telling you that "THIS is the steering position. Period." you go for the VDi.

If you want to really FEEL the JOSH of driving go for the Ikon. Though the 1.6 was SUPERB i think the 1.4 is not that bad.

and if you wanna settle in between with a little goodies and being on the safest side by going with the trend of the time. GO for the Petrol Swift. The mid version offers you lot more features than the High end VDi.

AND as you said. i too did not go for the VDi coz i never could digest the price when it is compared with what you get.
Old 29th March 2007, 09:50   #5
BHPian

I think go for Vxi if you do not really looking for space. You do not need a diesel as per current monthly run. Vxi is fun to drive and its a new car. You will get a good resale value. FE is acceptable. But if you are looking for a sedan/ space wait for a couple of weeks and you will Getz prime and Logan to consider.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Simple yaar..

for your usage...go for petrol

if you can wait for some time, wait till logan,getz,palio are launched.
else petrol swift is readily available

1.1L on getz and palio..sounds really sluggish..but i am not an expert here
Old 29th March 2007, 10:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post

Also does it not make more sense to buy a ford ikon !! There are reviews which say that ikon is underpowered , ac vents blow hot air initially ( which is a problem ), poor resale value of car , do one still go for a ford ikon assuming the fact that it has a boot which can be very useful at times and the car gives the feel of a big car . (Ford Ikon is cheaper than Swift Vdi ) . Also can anyone confirm whether all the above problems have been solved in the New Ford Ikon Flair, or is it just a marketing gimmick ??
Hi Nikhunj,
Since all the points regarding either versions of the Swift have been nearly discussed to death here, i am not elaborating on those, although i think with your kind of running the Vxi is what you should be looking at.

Coming on to your questions regarding the Ikon Flair... that i can help since i own one (Oct 2006). Taking them one at a time.

* Underpowered : If your looking for mind blowing acceleration, probably the wrong choice, once u turn on the A/C. It does take some time to get used to how you work the gears. If you are the type who prefers minimal gear changes, this may not be what you are looking for. The idea way to drive the Flair is working it through the gears to get the desired power.

* A/C vents blowing hot air : This was a problem which i have heard about, but cant really say if it exists. I switch between the A/C and blower (fan)usage, and so cant really say if what i feel is hot air, or due to switching off the A/C.

* Poor resale value of the car : Cant help it. May be true. Besides, my friend who owns an Accent and looking to sell it off, also complains of the same.

* Boot : Trust me, this comes in real handy hen u consider long trips, or dropping off family at the airport or railway station and they carry along huge luggage. I took my car on my maiden Kerala trip, and the boot was loaded with all kinds of stuff from sleeping bags to luggage. Very handy. Since you already own an Indica, maybe you would like to have the services of a boot in your next car.

Guess these answer most of your questions.

Other positives about the Ikon are its handling, and precise steering. You get all power options such as central locking, power windows all round, and power steering, not to forget fog lamps. Safety features worth mentioning include fuel cut-off in the event of an impact.

Negatives : Possibly the brakes, but all these need is getting used to. U get the hang of them, you can manage them.

The new Flairs come with beige interiors, but to like them or not is a matter of personal choice. Saying it coz i dint.

Hope this helps.
Gud luck with your decision, and keep us posted.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
If you want to really FEEL the JOSH of driving go for the Ikon. Though the 1.6 was SUPERB i think the 1.4 is not that bad.
Since when did the ikon get the 1.4l engine ?
Old 30th March 2007, 09:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
* A/C vents blowing hot air : This was a problem which i have heard about, but cant really say if it exists. I switch between the A/C and blower (fan)usage, and so cant really say if what i feel is hot air, or due to switching off the A/C.
This normally happens if/when the AC diverter conks off....happened once on my Ikon 1.6, I think 1100D has faced it on more than one occasion. Maybe they've ironed out the issue in the recent crop of cars.
Old 30th March 2007, 12:37   #10
BHPian

Thanks benbsb , personally i really like the looks of the Ikon and I find it much better to look at than Esteem or any other entry level sedan in the range. I was going through the post of Renault Logan which is about to be released ( Somebody was saying next week ) I think it is definitely worth the wait !! However are there any pics of the Logan and any comments on the looks/ engine as compared to Esteem and Ikon or any other car in the same range ?? I have heard that they will also be releasing a diesel Logan ?? Will that be CRDI based too ??
Old 30th March 2007, 12:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you would really use the boot, think of the Flair (while you are at it check out other sedan options in that range too). Since you already have been using a hatch, its easy to figure out - did you ever miss not having a boot in the Indica? If so, you might need a car with one. Else go the hatch way in which case the Swift petrol sounds more like what would plug your needs - you already have a diesel car anyway.

Regarding the issues with the Ikon, why not take a testdrive and check them out for yourselves. Should set your mind at rest about power (or lack of it), A/c issue etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th March 2007 at 12:45.
Old 30th March 2007, 12:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks benbsb , personally i really like the looks of the Ikon and I find it much better to look at than Esteem or any other entry level sedan in the range. I was going through the post of Renault Logan which is about to be released ( Somebody was saying next week ) I think it is definitely worth the wait !! However are there any pics of the Logan and any comments on the looks/ engine as compared to Esteem and Ikon or any other car in the same range ?? I have heard that they will also be releasing a diesel Logan ?? Will that be CRDI based too ??
Somehow everyone feels they might not release the diesel version of the Logan immediately, but then again could be proved wrong. Go through the older thread on the Logan which has pics as well as some videos on the Logan in international markets. Do wait on for the Logan to be released, and then decide.

Did you take any test drives so far? If not, start with the others, and then for the Logan, so you would have a fair idea by then.
Old 30th March 2007, 14:23   #13
BHPian

The problems with test drive in Kolkata is more the aftermath. Once u give the dealers your mobile number they start pestering u by giving u repeated calls on your decision to buy the car , but i guess that is a part of life ;-) . Anyways i was thinking of taking a test drive for the Swift VDi and VXi models . I really do hope they release the Diesel logan . Anyways even if they do i dont think they will be able to start deliveries before may end - June mid !! That would be a real long wait for me !! Also can u please post the link which has discussion and pics on the Logan Model. Hey Any idea about the upcoming Honda JAZZ model ??
Old 30th March 2007, 15:27   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
......Also can u please post the link which has discussion and pics on the Logan Model....
Bingo..!!
A quick serach revealed this :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-spy-pics.html
Old 30th March 2007, 15:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

trick is to go to a showroom for a test drive and leave a number like home/office where you wont be available at all lol

ok to answer your question, go for a test drive first and make sure you drive for atleast 10 kms before you conclude on anything

iKON hmm this is a tough one, first the so called reports of problems i would say dont give it too much weightage rather:

resale value - which is big no no (thanks to indian market mentality)
*** - can be funny but not very alarming
Handling - GREAT!!
Design - Getting outdated, otherwise will give a good fight for much costly new entries
New 1.3 rocam engine reviews are also good, so no major worries there.

Decider for Swift (Vxi/Vdi) over iKON for me will be, if usage hard core city usage and condition similar to bangalore, and lesser comfort required coz iKON is more comfortable car anyday

And if you are not in a hurry WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks